• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

40px-icon-soldier76ams0x.png
"We're all moderators now"

Bundlestars Nemesis Bundle
TIER 1 - Pay only $1.49 for:
Risen 3 - Titan Lords
Insurgency
Contagion
Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD Remastered

TIER 2 - Pay only $4.99 for:
Killer Is Dead - Nightmare Edition
The Ship: Remasted
Deadfall Adventures
Out of Reach
The Masterplan
Dead in Bermuda
Toren
Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse

TIER 3 - Pay $7.49 to add:
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III

This is an amazing bundle.

It's amazing indeed. I want the tier 3.

Does this mean I will become a mod one day?

Nah, Ban Puncher and Salsa have a much higher chance than you.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm the next moderator in line.

For some reason I'm also the only and last moderator in line. Weird.

Wok

Oh wow, wasn't expecting to come out any time soon, what a nice surprise.

The game was noticed in France, or whatever my region is, since the game is among the popular releases today.

Funnily, the game is not discounted on Humble Store, which makes it more expensive there, even for Humble Monthly subscribers. We are not talking about a DRM-free version, just a Steam key... The Humble Monthly fiasco goes on.

ye8TcBd.png

0YZS09I.png

I'm the next moderator in line.

For some reason I'm also the only and last moderator in line. Weird.

Yup. You will be the one to end the censorship and break the wall of the cavern.

Ozium

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lost Civilization -- MB-1329BF52BE219825 - Taken by Jme. 1 entrants total.
Cally's Trials -- MB-FBD1FA823243188C - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock -- MB-7AC7DC14F5DA6BD3 - Taken by Werd. 3 entrants total.
Redactem -- MB-3F730E999E8D37BC - Taken by illusionary. 1 entrants total.
Contagion -- MB-7FA8C6F12F3865B7
Quest for Infamy -- MB-3751A3388BA69E6E - Taken by animlboogy. 1 entrants total.
Lethal League -- MB-F6D4755CCDF73738
Insurgency -- MB-D74A2C745282DD70 - Taken by Jalal. 1 entrants total.
Galak-Z -- MB-058989FDB7F700D5 - Taken by Saty. 5 entrants total.
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller -- MB-09DAF30984BDD510 - Taken by dimmer. 2 entrants total.
The Last Door -- MB-DB29C0D9E99EF04B - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
Laserlife -- MB-DAC1720914E835E6 - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.
Linea -- MB-AF578114580BB8A2 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
Never Alone -- MB-F977F28290512DDB - Taken by trailmix16. 3 entrants total.
Zotrix -- MB-6CAA1E62CD08A30F - Taken by fenners. 1 entrants total.
Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD Remastered -- MB-8D8D66F51A4D8B5D - Taken by OmarYusaf. 1 entrants total.
The Masterplan -- MB-5368A0757A7A187F - Taken by Purkake4. 6 entrants total.

t1474064531z1.png

Do you know you already own the game?

Find these GAFfers.

dixkYwT.png

yeah I know that's why I asked...

I didn't buy it..

Parsnip

Just use the search function, can't do it right now.
A summary is: both MGS1 and MGS4 are heavily binded to some Sony's hardware references in game. If you want to make a port, you need to strip out those things. It's not really simple considering how they are implemented.

Isn't MGS1 with its Sony hardware references already on PC? Why would anything in MGS4 be an issue?

C4rter

Everybody remember, if you have Van Helsing 1+2+3 you can get "The Final Cut" for free from the devs. So if you only have 1+2, get part 3 in the Bundlestars bundle!

Grief.exe

A summary is: both MGS1 and MGS4 are heavily binded to some Sony's hardware references in game. If you want to make a port, you need to strip out those things. It's not really simple considering how they are implemented.
If you want the simple HD collection, what's the point, why asking for that? You get MGS 2-3 and Peace Walker (I doubt they will give PC players MGS1 since it wasn't on Xbox 360 too), and you would still miss MGS4 which is one of the most important piece of the saga.

There literally is an existing port of MGS1 to another platform, ironically PC.

The other portion of your argument is they should ignore a major revenue stream because, in your opinion, it has the potential to not include an important game. This is, again, with there literally being an existing HD collection without MGS4.

I haven't fully looked into what would keep MGSIV potentially exclusive. Whether it solely being the in game references, or if there is some kind of contractual obligation.

Ludens

Banned
There literally already is a port of MGS1 to another platform, ironically to your argument it's PC.

The other portion of your argument is they should ignore a major revenue stream because, in your opinion, it has the potential to not include an important game. This is, again, with there literally being an existing HD collection without MGS4.
I'm not writing this. I say Konami won't invest money in a PC only remastered. They would already release it on all platforms if that was the intention. It didn't happen.

kagamin

There literally is an existing port of MGS1 to another platform, ironically PC.

You don't want that MGS1 PC port, its not what you want at all, trust me.

Grief.exe

I'm not writing this. I say Konami won't invest money in a PC only remastered. They would already release it on all platforms if that was the intention. It didn't happen.

Where did I make the argument that it would be PC only? Of course any potential ports would target PS4, PC, and XBO to maximize revenue.

You don't want that MGS1 PC port, its not what you want at all, trust me.

Not the point, not the argument I was making.

Mivey

Hardware reference? What is this? Every game that does some low level stuff has things specific to the hardware. That is called optimisation. Using that as an argument is BS. Given code and documentation, it could be ported to anything. As any game could. And those specific "references" to the PS3 (most probably related to the CELL stuff) are completely useless on x86 anywho.

The more likely reason is that Konami doesn't want to spend a dime porting it, and I could see it being a quite expensive porting process. Not "millions and millions" but clearly not in the "paltry lunch money" category, which Japanese devs usually spent on PC ports, by the looks of them.

... I'm talking about the fact you control MK with a ds3, and PS3 is mentioned everywhere, including a joke about changing discs on PS1.
They could just leave that out ( I mean, how important is that really?) and since they would need to design new controls for the PC anyway, changing that would in comparison probably not be a lot of work.

Ludens

Banned
Where did I make the argument that it would be PC only? Of course any potential ports would target PS4, PC, and XBO to maximize revenue.

Not the point, not the argument I was making.
Konami is recycling assets from MGSV, if they wanted to do a next gen port it would already happened.
Hardware reference? What is this? Every game that does some low level stuff has things specific to the hardware. That is called optimisation. Using that as an argument is BS. Given code and documentation, it could be ported to anything. As any game could. And those specific "references" to the PS3 (most probably related to the CELL stuff) are completely useless on x86 anywho.

The more likely reason is that Konami doesn't want to spend a dime porting it, and I could see it being a quite expensive porting process.
... I'm talking about the fact you control MK with a ds3, and PS3 is mentioned everywhere, including a joke about changing discs on PS1.

Purkake4

Banned
Any impressions on Everspace? It looks pretty amazing and the roguelike stuff seems pretty well done, especially for just being in early access.

Any impressions on Everspace? It looks pretty amazing and the roguelike stuff seems pretty well done, especially for just being in early access.

I'm curious too, it looks really great, if it was $20 I would buy it now but $30 kind of pushes what I want to play for a early access game that I don't know a lot about.

fantomena

Grr... I really like DOOM and I really want to 100% it, but I fucking hate MP achievements so goddamn much. So no, I won't 100% it, but will probably replay it in the future.

Parsnip

I think you are wildly overestimating the amount of work changing those would be.
Just get Randolph to a voice booth for couple of more generic takes on a few lines and model some generic looking controller in there.

Ozium

I think you are wildly overestimating the amount of work changing those would be.
Just get Randolph to a voice booth for couple of more generic takes on a few lines and model some generic looking controller in there.

"oh wait, you are on a PC! The power of Steam means you get updates while you sleep.. Isn't technology fascinating? praise gaben"

rtcn63

I might up the difficulty on Bioshock. I did play the original last on hard, and as soon as I got the shotgun this time around (with 30 bucks no less), I was just murdering everything. Killed the first "boss" and and there's five+ first aid kits I can't pick up cause I've hit the max.

The shotty feels great btw.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"oh wait, you are on a PC! The power of Steam means you get updates while you sleep.. Isn't technology fascinating? praise gaben"

Would be less cringey, honestly

Grief.exe

Dark Souls 3 better win GOTY

There was a Sony exclusive released this year.

Konami is recycling assets from MGSV, if they wanted to do a next gen port it would already happened.

Release order is somewhat a stretch, especially considering porting several games to new architecture is non-trivial while MGS Survive would take a limited team.

There's nothing announced yet so we are merely debating semantics. The remains that a MGS HD/Legacy port to PC/PS4/XBO would fit with historical precedent and the direction the industry is moving. You have to at least concede that there is a distinct possibility for a port.

Hektor

Dark Souls 3 better win GOTY

My GOTY list will be pretty dry now that so many potential contenders have been delayed to 2017.

Guess it's gonna be beween DOOM, Pony Island, DS3 and Ratchet and Clank.

World of Final Fantasy, Shadow Warrior 2 and Clistertruck might also have a chance, assuming they'll be living up to expectations, but we'll see about that soon enough.

Tizoc

Come on mate, you know as well as everyone that PS4 or Ninty exclusives win GotY #1. NMS could've been on PS4 only and that game would've been among the top 5.
There's too much fanboyism/fangirlism with consoles in GAF.
Just look at any PC vs PS4 thread or how people suddenly are getting into 4K, being something that PC gamers could do for quite some time now.

fantomena

Come on mate, you know as well as everyone that PS4 or Ninty exclusives win GotY #1. NMS could've been on PS4 only and that game would've been among the top 5.
There's too much fanboyism/fangirlism with consoles in GAF.
Just look at any PC vs PS4 thread or how people suddenly are getting into 4K, being something that PC gamers could do for quite some time now.

Yeah, I can see that, but I have my doubts that Godlen Joystiq will be occupied by Sony fanboys, especially without any sort of proofs.

I voted for DS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom