• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Trading Cards : get trading cards and turn it into stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
CS:GO
  • Anarchist [x3]
  • Balkan [x5]
  • FBI [x6]
  • IDF [x8]
  • SWAT[x3]

Half-Life 2
  • Alyx Vance [x7]
  • G-Man [x6]
  • Gordon Freeman [x5]
  • Gordon & Alyx [x11]
  • Bring the fight to them [x8]
  • Trouble Underground [x8]
  • Respite [x9]
  • City 17 Metrocop [x8]

Team Fortress 2

• Demoman [x8]
  • Engineer [x5]
  • Medic [x6]
  • Pyro [x9]
  • Scout [x6]
  • Sniper [x5]
  • Soldier [x7]
  • Spy [x7]
  • Heavy [x7]

Portal 2

• Chell [x8]
  • Destruction [x2]
  • Finale [x5]
  • GladOs [x2]
  • Intro [x6]
  • The Lab [x6]
  • Mannequin [x5]
  • Underground [x5]

Dota 2
  • Phantom Lancer
  • Razor [x5]
  • Tidehunter [x2]
  • Tiny [x3]
  • Tusk
  • Vengeful Spirit

Dont Starve
  • Maxwell [x4]
  • Wendy [x5]
  • Willow [x3]
  • Wilson [x6]
  • Wolfgang [x7]

Swapping for:

Looking to swap overstocked cards to one card I don't have as many of in the same series.
Also swapping my cards for any Dota2, CS:GO or Don't Starve cards.

[Steam Profile] (Check my inventory for an updated list of my cards)

HoosTrax

^

Wouldn't it work out better for people just to sell their cards on the market and buy the card they want. Versus taking you up on those trade values...

Especially considering how quickly cards sell.

Just sayin'. I did a fair bit of working the market as well to finance my level upgrades, and someone with even a smidgen of patience would be better off just using the market themselves.

kurahador

Question again.

We can upgrade badge right?
So...how do you get additional drops from games like HL2 and Portal 2 after you complete 1 level badge?

Hasney

If you're looking for specific cards, I'd probably take a look at this for the easiest way first:

http://backpack.tf/cardswap

Question again.

We can upgrade badge right?
So...how do you get additional drops from games like HL2 and Portal 2?

Yes you can, but you can't get additional drops. The idea is that you trade for them, be it TF2 weapons, DOAT stuff or just buy them from the market.

Greymanic

Neo Member
^

Wouldn't it work out better for people just to sell their cards on the market and buy the card they want. Versus taking you up on those trade values...

Just sayin'. I did a fair bit of working the market as well to finance my level upgrades, and someone with even a smidgen of patience would be better off just using the market themselves.

Personally I agree with you, especially if when we're ignoring duplicates and simply are just trading cards for cards.

The system is designed to add more trading options to the already existing line of games or ingame items themselves. While I see no harm in trading cards for cards, you might as well just go with the market because you will have quicker results in my opinion.

HoosTrax

Personally I agree with you, especially if when we're ignoring duplicates and simply are trading cards for cards.

The system is designed to add more trading options to the already existing line of games or ingame items themselves. While I see no harm in trading cards for cards, you might as well just go with the market because you will have quicker results in my opinion.
Trading 1:1 with someone else for the same value cards is fine imho. That's not what was happening up there though...

Keep in mind that there is a small transaction fee with market sales. Even so, someone with some patience can skim a profit. Just figured I should point that out to people so everyone can reap the benefit if they chose.

I've done enough sales that I have to file my IRS tax information with Valve now to continue with it, so I'm taking a break from playing the market.

kurahador

Keep in mind that there is a small transaction fee with market sales. Even so, someone with some patience can skim a profit. Just figured I should point that out to people so everyone can reap the benefit if they chose.

I've done enough sales that I have to file my IRS tax information with Valve now, so I'm taking a break from playing the market.

Yeah...the fee is ridiculously high too when selling cards---almost 25% i think?

Greymanic

Neo Member
Trading 1:1 with someone else for the same value cards is fine imho. That's not what was happening up there though...

Keep in mind that there is a small transaction fee with market sales. Even so, someone with some patience can skim a profit.

Oh I know and agree in regards 1:1 trading.

My only real issue with the market itself is that not all cards are equal but again, that isn't really an issue with the market. Still, you can work around it like you said.

^

It is indeed, people who trade from me mainly just buy complete sets directly or so, so they don't waste time trying to get a set.
Since Steam take 15% or so from every sale, you could be missing cents for a card you want etc, I'm just simplifying the process for some guys.
Also, a lot don't care about those TF2 cards, since they can be achieved really cheap, so usually we just trade 1:1 + a tf2 card.
Note that I'm trading any amount of cards for the same amount + 1 additional cards, so it's not that bad if you trade several cards.

HoosTrax

Yeah...the fee is ridiculously high too when selling cards---almost 25% i think?
It's 15%. 5% of that goes to Valve and 10% of it goes to the developers (obviously it works out to 15% to Valve in practice in most cases, with the exception of Don't Starve).

So if say you want to try to turn a profit on Tidehunter cards which usually go for around $1.00, you'd have to be aware of how low of a price you need to look for to be able to turn a profit with the transaction fee factored in. So you'd need to camp the market to snipe cards posted at $0.84 and below to at least break even if you wanted to relist the card at $0.99.

You see some strange stuff from time to time though, like someone listing like a half dozen of the same card, and you end up wondering if they properly factored in the fee, or if they're just that good at sniping super cheap cards.

Zia

It's 15%. 5% of that goes to Valve and 10% of it goes to the developers (obviously it works out to 15% to Valve in practice in most cases, with the exception of Don't Starve).

Wow, I had no idea devs received a cut. Between the constant flow of nickels and dimes they're receiving, and the copies of the game they've sold to card hoarders (I'm not sure how prevalent this is, but you know it's occurred), it seems like a great deal for a studio like Klei for what amounts to free advertising.

Flayer

You see some very low prices if you look for long enough. I picked up a D2 Tiny card for £0.05 for instance, the longer you hang around the more you'll see cards go for cheap. Be warned that there's always people ready to snipe so good deals are taken about 1-2 seconds after going up. Zero hesitation allowed.

HoosTrax

Wow, I had no idea devs received a cut. Between the constant flow of nickels and dimes they're receiving, and the copies of the game they've sold to card hoarders (I'm not sure how prevalent this is, but you know it's occurred), it seems like a great deal for a studio like Klei for what amounts to free advertising.
Yeah I agree. I actually have a Don't Starve wallpaper as my profile background and I hope a lot more indies studios in particular are allowed to take part.

and the copies of the game they've sold to card hoarders (I'm not sure how prevalent this is, but you know it's occurred)
It's also curious how there coincidentally happened to be a free weekend and sale on CS:GO last weekend...

I've done enough sales that I have to file my IRS tax information with Valve now to continue with it, so I'm taking a break from playing the market.
Dang, file with the IRS? I haven't even done one transaction on the marketplace. Didn't know you have to report if you sell enough stuff on there.

HoosTrax

Dang, file with the IRS? I haven't even done one transaction on the marketplace. Didn't know you have to report if you sell enough stuff on there.
Yeah it's apparently some stupid law if you sell things on digital marketplaces (eBay included), where if you make more than 200 sales transaction and/or more than $20,000 in revenue, you have provide your IRS information for tax purposes (the actual taxes don't come until both conditions are met, but the eTailer is required to request the information ahead of time).

Flayer

It's not even real money you're trading for since you can only spend it on Steam. It has no real world value at all so I don't see how you could be taxed on it.

Tenrius

It's not even real money you're trading for since you can only spend it on Steam. It has no real world value at all so I don't see how you could be taxed on it.

Having money in Steam wallet means that somebody did put real money into the system at some point.

XOF

Neo Member
I actually quite like this system due to the profile upgrades you can unlock and such. Kinda sucks you have to put money into it to add to the "cards remaining" but still pretty cool. I expect I'll be addicted to this for quite some time.

Mairu

They've updated the Known Issues thread again cause of all the confusion over DoTA2, lol.

Al also made a post over the weekend that made it pretty clear they don't see an issue with the limited drop rate. They think it won't be a problem because people will trade other items (tf2 drops, dota 2 drops, coupons, games, etc...) for cards, some people just won't care about badges, and as they add other games to the system you can trade those cards for the ones you really want. The kind of feedback they want is what other drops you want to see for your profile and is there any other community items they could create to hand out those drops.

jEg5j60.png

I have faith in Valve to take this in a better direction, but the response to people stating "its all about the market" gives me flashbacks to Blizzard and how they responded to the D3 RMAH :O

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I have 7 extra beta invites for any GAFfers who still need one. Unfortunately they're untradeable, so send me a PM with your email address for me to gift one to you. :]

Have:
  • TF2 - Heavy, Engineer, Soldier x2, Spy x3
  • Profile Background: Pyro
  • Profile Background: Pyro
Want:
  • Profile Background: Soldier
  • HL2 - any cards aside from "Trouble underground" or "Gordon & Alyx"
  • Portal 2 - any cards aside from GlaDOS, Destruction, or The Lab
Giving away:
  • -75% Total War Shogun 2
  • -75% Total War Shogun 2
  • -50% Forge
  • -50% Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition
  • -25% God Mode
http://steamcommunity.com/id/exmakina

dot

Beta update - May 21st
MAY 21ST, 2013 - AL
Hello,

We have several profile updates today based on feedback:
-Only 3 recent games will be shown on the profile page, down from 6.
-The Recent Game Activity section on the profile will show total playtime for the last 2 weeks.
-You can now choose a badge to feature from the Edit Profile page
-Both Featured Badge and Profile Background can now be unset from the Edit Profile page

Additionally, the following coupons were not working correctly and have been fixed:
-Portal 2
-Frozen Synapse
-Tales of Monkey Island (this coupon still incorrectly says "Episode 1", but applies to the whole pack)

3 games seems so little now, ha. But at least they finally added back last 2 weeks playtime!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I just got a card drop from a game I had already maxed out. Do you get one more card drop per week?
The only games that offer additional drops are F2P games at a rate of 1 card per every $9 you spend in game. Which game did you get the card from?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Have:
Heavy

Want:
One of Spy, Engineer, Medic, Demoman, Sniper.

1:1 trade

Edit: Thanks Vamphuntr, traded with the bot just fine.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is there any benefit to being over level 10? I know that's when you get the chance of foil cards.
Not really, you get foil cards & profile showcases (1 every 10 lv's) for reaching lv 10. You also get a bigger friend list limit for every lv up (5 per lv), but I doubt anyone cares for that.

Have:
Demoman
Medic
Pyro
Soldier
Heavy

Want:
Mannequin

Will trade 1:1 or even 2:1. Why couldn't I get a TF 2 foil card instead of a HL2 foil card? It really messes up my trade with the bot. Ugh..........

JustinBB7

Sweet, wanted all 4 of those things.

Beta update - May 21st
Hello,

We have several profile updates today based on feedback:

Only 3 recent games will be shown on the profile page, down from 6.
The Recent Game Activity section on the profile will show total playtime for the last 2 weeks.
You can now choose a badge to feature from the Edit Profile page
Both Featured Badge and Profile Background can now be unset from the Edit Profile page

Additionally, the following coupons were not working correctly and have been fixed:

Portal 2
Frozen Synapse
Tales of Monkey Island (this coupon still incorrectly says "Episode 1", but applies to the whole pack)

Xanathus

Have:
Demoman
Medic
Pyro
Soldier
Heavy

Want:
Mannequin

Will trade 1:1 or even 2:1. Why couldn't I get a TF 2 foil card instead of a HL2 foil card? It really messes up my trade with the bot. Ugh..........

If you're willing to trade 2:1 then you could easily just sell 2 TF2 cards for ~45 cents each on the Steam Market and then buy a Mannequin for 74 cents at time of posting.

Flayer

There appears to be a bug on the market where you can't put Tidehunter, Vengeful Spirit or Demoman cards up for sale. Weird. The lowest price is slowly rising as people buy up the existing stock.

Nymerio

I love this trading card stuff. I only cared about the Dota 2 badge, so I sold the cards for TF2, CS:GO and Portal on the Market and bought Dota 2 cards with the cash I got from there. Crafted my badge and sold the emoticon I got from crafting and came out with 4 euro more than I started with. Pretty cool.

Crafted my first badge and got a bots background profile, wheatly emoticon and a discount coupon for Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars. Coupon is only valid for 2 weeks? Uhhhh......ok. I guess I can go after the other badges if it keeps giving me stuff like this.

Wok

Use the bot from the tf2 backpack. They have a swap cards bot dedicated to tf2 and one dedicated to the rest.

http://backpack.tf/cardswap

As long as the card you want has more than 2 in stock, it's a 1:1 trade. They have like 28 snipers for instance.

I used it earlier and it's working well.

I have found a better bot, which would 1:1 without any condition other than exchanged cards should belong to the same game.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044170935/

eznark

Banned
So what's the best way to actually get additional cards? I want to complete the Dota set and need three more. I guess I could just buy them for $.75 each or whatever but that seems against the spirit of the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom