• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Was there ever any explanation for the
missing leading zero on the divergence meter in the Faris ending
? Is it possibly explained in SG0?
I read it as
a divergence too large to measure - something that changed the percentage by multiple digits. Maybe a double or triple-digit change, since IIRC the percentage meter only has one or two digits in front of the decimal.

He ended up in a timeline where everything is completely different from any of the other timelines in the game. So while none of the events that happen in any of the game's other timelines ever happened, his entire life is completely different too. He never met Mayuri or Daru in his timeline, which means that whatever changes he made extended all the way back to Okabe's childhood, if not even before that.

It's the Phyrric victory ending of the series IMO. He may have saved the world from either of the horrible futures listed in the Alpha and Beta worldlines, but at the cost of everything dear to his life as he knew it.

Frost_Ace

So I started this today, anything I should know before going forward? Should I get the first ending blind and then go for the others with a guide?

So I started this today, anything I should know before going forward? Should I get the first ending blind and then go for the others with a guide?

Yep, you got it. That, or continue as long as you know how to proceed, then use a guide. The True Ending is pretty hard to get without a guide, but most of the others are pretty simple to figure out.

Korigama

Huh, I wasn't aware that there was a proper OT for this. Since I finally finished this over the weekend, I suppose I'll copy/paste what I had to say about it in the VN community thread.
Finally finished Steins;Gate a few nights ago, having gotten the Platinum for it. At the risk of sounding blasphemous...I didn't really like the true ending, and decisions relating to it have soured me on the experience in spite of having enjoyed the story up until that point. Feeling rather disillusioned, really.
On the recommendation of trying 0, since I disliked the true ending...
I had been considering it at one point, but I was questioning the idea before finishing the original since the consensus was that it wasn't as good, and that assessment has me even more wary now. Based on what I know of 0 (I waited until I was finished before reading up on its scenario and have some idea where it's supposed to lead) and what bothered me about that ending in the original, it doesn't seem like it would help.

EDIT: It might help if I elaborate...

My issue wasn't with the fact that Okabe actually succeeded in saving Kurisu and averting WWIII, although one could argue that it seems improbable that he managed to somehow fight against convergence with a change in plan in spite of attempting to stay one step ahead never working whenever he tried to save Mayuri (when fate wanted her dead, it didn't matter what he did, it was going to happen). I wanted both Kurisu and Mayuri to live in the end. No, other things bothered me personally.

Honestly, I didn't care for the decision to actually have there be an official couple in the story, and this is coming from someone who quite liked Kurisu. Given the atypical approach to multiple endings in a VN, where instead of having multiple bad endings there were multiple bittersweet, romantic endings, the idea of there being one "right" answer tied in with the true ending invalidated every other possibility. Not leaving things ambiguous after all was said and done made it abundantly clear that the players' interpretations were of no consequence. I can also add that even with Kurisu's support throughout the course of the story, such a turn felt like even more of a swerve given all of the pain and suffering that Okabe had inflicted upon himself and everyone else for Mayuri's sake (in fact, she would've made far more sense to me if they absolutely had to insist upon a canonical pairing, regardless of the typical "she's like a little sister to me" protests coming from Okabe).

Then there's the epilogue on the Steins Gate worldline. Even after all of that, the promises of it being an ideal unobserved worldline, neither Luka nor Faris were allowed to have their wishes back. Luka would've had to come to terms with Okabe's heart belonging to someone else, but still could've been born as she wished she had been instead of being stuck with having to change back. Meanwhile, Faris' father was still dead and gone, yet another sacrifice made for Okabe's objective. I was willing to be somewhat forgiving toward Moeka following the events of Chapter 9, insofar as hoping that she would have a chance at a normal life and not be in any position where she felt compelled to hurt anyone to cling to the place she felt that she belonged, but honestly wouldn't have wanted her anywhere near the other lab mems again. Naturally, Okabe preparing a pin for her and inviting her back to the lab rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't think much of the idea of the lab still staying above the likes of Tennouji either, whom I didn't forgive at all. In fact, upon meeting with that trio outside of the Braun Tube Workshop, Nae was the only one I was willing to completely forgive after all that had happened.

Yet for everything that Luka and Faris had lost, Okabe ultimately had to sacrifice nothing. He had gotten everything he wanted, including reuniting with Kurisu after her memories of their time together had returned once they were triggered. Each and every one of those character-specific endings (with the exception of the one for Kurisu, since it was just a cut-off version of the true ending anyway) felt more meaningful because unlike the true ending, he had to lose something too in exchange for what he had gained.

This is why I don't see diving into 0 fixing any of that.
And since I was still dwelling on how things played out...
Finding myself somewhat curious as to what Steins;Gate Elite is supposed to offer when it releases, but given the fact that I was actually enjoying the original before the true ending reared its head (made worse by
the revelation that one character ending was just the cut off version of it because they just had to dispel any and all ambiguity previously afforded by every other ending on the subject of a romantic ideal by making one of those count more than everything else, regardless of whether the choice even made sense
), along with not knowing what they're supposed to be changing with the revisions and expansions, I see plenty reason to be wary of it.

All of that shit that Okabe went through, all that he made everyone else go through, and then they find an excuse to throw in a line where he actually admits
that the girl he was doing it all for wasn't as important to him as we were led to believe (in addition to having been worn down to the point of feeling NOTHING when she died anymore) in order to set up the big confession scene for the canonical pairing that the developers chose for everyone
...God, the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

Top Bottom