• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Sword City |OT| Okay, it's been an hour. Are you dead yet?

Dorarnae

I do not know where else to ask so I will ask here. What is the difference between Students of the Round for Xbox and PSP?

I haven't tried the xbox version, but if it's the same as the pc version, then the psp have some voice, one or 2 new song, but lower res.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
yeah, but at first I was wondering when the fighter was going to have one, since my dancer got one before, except it's single target.

if you combine the dancers skills with a rangers crazy damage dealer time lol

mine is built that way but she only has 1 LP making every fight with magic users or ranged enemies highly stressful lol ninjas in particular as thr shuriken attack can do instakill i think.

bahhh first death to a high orc lol. the first orc wasnt too bad, but the second one just didn't want to die...

out of the three starting dungeons seriously consider the one under the royal knights hq to be the most dangerous due to the magical properties some enemies have, dungeon design and those golem things.

Dorarnae

just beat one boss, he was a rogue and he kept evading my attack....
so now the skill with the wizard to hit a line cost some hp? interesting change.

Parakeetman

just beat one boss, he was a rogue and he kept evading my attack....
so now the skill with the wizard to hit a line cost some hp? interesting change.

yeah for that guy i had used a skill that would drop their accuracy and evade.

yeah the wizard row special attack costs hp thankfully with a good cleric its not much of a prob

I already bought the 360 version so its all good. I was just curious.

ah shit apologies had totally forgotten to look up the info before sleeping (/´△`\)

Dorarnae

studentofround_zps9b925c15.png

is this game tied to student of round?(that picture in the background....)

Parakeetman

studentofround_zps9b925c15.png

is this game tied to student of round?(that picture in the background....)

Apparently there is some sort of tie in with Student of the Round, though am not sure on the extent of it. As Charon you might recognize him from that title is in this game.

uTgwB4s.jpg

Parakeetman

the ninja boss was something.he one shot 3 character and my wizard had 1 lp left so he's gone now lol.

i got lucky with that fight and didnt lose anyone, but that sure as hell didnt make it any less stressful of an experience lol was one hell of a time getting to him though.

Did you try going to the dungeon under the royal knights HQ? Man I hate that place so much D:

Dorarnae

i got lucky with that fight and didnt lose anyone, but that sure as hell didnt make it any less stressful of an experience lol was one hell of a time getting to him though.

Did you try going to the dungeon under the royal knights HQ? Man I hate that place so much D:

a little bit. but I need a wizard with his skill to hit slimes and some other monster. the kraken at one of the hiding point is scary though.

I lost one wizard to that ninja and the other one is taking a nap hehe.
my ranger is back in the party and I am leveling a ninja now.

I class changed my dancer to samurai. that line strike helps quite a bit. plus the little extra hp with leveling.

I find it a bit weird that monster in the orc camp, I can't kill them fast enough to get the treasure, but the area just after it is ok.(giant hits hard on back row).

quite challenging compared to their other title. I should try to farm for rank C gear, getting tired of that E & D crap hehe.

Parakeetman

a little bit. but I need a wizard with his skill to hit slimes and some other monster. the kraken at one of the hiding point is scary though.

I lost one wizard to that ninja and the other one is taking a nap hehe.
my ranger is back in the party and I am leveling a ninja now.

I class changed my dancer to samurai. that line strike helps quite a bit. plus the little extra hp with leveling.

I find it a bit weird that monster in the orc camp, I can't kill them fast enough to get the treasure, but the area just after it is ok.(giant hits hard on back row).

quite challenging compared to their other title. I should try to farm for rank C gear, getting tired of that E & D crap hehe.

also noticed its far better to raise uo a character goosd in their initial class to get the most out of the skills they can offer since i learned the hard way switching too early in the long run you are making a weaker character due to using up 2 class changes, 1 to the class and 1 more to switch to another class.

isnt this system great though? seriously makes you a lot more attached to your characters that you have carefully crafted and their loss if felt much more when it does occur.

Dorarnae

also noticed its far better to raise uo a character goosd in their initial class to get the most out of the skills they can offer since i learned the hard way switching too early in the long run you are making a weaker character due to using up 2 class changes, 1 to the class and 1 more to switch to another class.

isnt this system great though? seriously makes you a lot more attached to your characters that you have carefully crafted and their loss if felt much more when it does occur.

yeah I noticed that. also took me a while to see that I could switch page with my healer and wizard to cast some support spell lol

so far the game is good, it requires more farming than I thought it would.

Parakeetman

yeah I noticed that. also took me a while to see that I could switch page with my healer and wizard to cast some support spell lol

so far the game is good, it requires more farming than I thought it would.

I think the farming feels that way due to how specific the spots are. Not to mention we need to find them first too lol.

Man its so hard finding a good katana though. Those seem to be pretty rare.

Dorarnae

I think the farming feels that way due to how specific the spots are. Not to mention we need to find them first too lol.

Man its so hard finding a good katana though. Those seem to be pretty rare.

pretty much anything seems hard to find. I mean I didn't get many unique. I got a few, but not many...
did you finish the game?

Parakeetman

pretty much anything seems hard to find. I mean I didn't get many unique. I got a few, but not many...
did you finish the game?

Not yet been too busy with a bunch of other stuff unfortunately. Was making my way through the snow dungeon last time I played as had totally cleared out the junkyard one.

I had a bunch of uniques but were mostly armor pieces with a few odd weapons. But fed them back to the mumic to get a chance at a higher roll.

Dorarnae

Not yet been too busy with a bunch of other stuff unfortunately. Was making my way through the snow dungeon last time I played as had totally cleared out the junkyard one.

I had a bunch of uniques but were mostly armor pieces with a few odd weapons. But fed them back to the mumic to get a chance at a higher roll.

ahh nice, was wondering what the mimic wanted, so he takes unique only?

I just cleared the snow dungeon and junkyard. the other dungeon isnt too bad with magic weapon. my samurai does a nice job there (well rank C katana helps a bit).

Parakeetman

ahh nice, was wondering what the mimic wanted, so he takes unique only?

I just cleared the snow dungeon and junkyard. the other dungeon isnt too bad with magic weapon. my samurai does a nice job there (well rank C katana helps a bit).

Yeah you can give any unique item to the Mumic and what happens is that it goes back into the "pool" for items as a re-roll so the chance of getting it again with better stats comes up.

Im pretty sure I can clear the other dungeons no problem, just that do need time to play these games. D: My party is pretty strong and we have decent equipment.

Btw did you manage to clear that dungeon under the royal knights area?

Dorarnae

Yeah you can give any unique item to the Mumic and what happens is that it goes back into the "pool" for items as a re-roll so the chance of getting it again with better stats comes up.

Im pretty sure I can clear the other dungeons no problem, just that do need time to play these games. D: My party is pretty strong and we have decent equipment.

Btw did you manage to clear that dungeon under the royal knights area?

not yet, was playing Caladrius a little bit. but I should soon.

Dorarnae

Good luck down there lol

it's not too bad, until you acces the next area, lake something. right when you get there, you have a nasty boss :(
actually he's not too bad but his 700 ish hp regen after a few turns makes it hard to kill.
I'll have to grind a bit or change my team...

I also killed a wyvern boss who was quite annoying too.

Dorarnae

I visited the under water area a bit. the normal monster aren't too hard, but the monster at hiding point are just too much :S

Parakeetman

I visited the under water area a bit. the normal monster aren't too hard, but the monster at hiding point are just too much :S

sounds like you are progressing well! am looking forward to seeing the new areas also.esp getting new gear. need better swords and a bow

Dorarnae

sounds like you are progressing well! am looking forward to seeing the new areas also.esp getting new gear. need better swords and a bow

yeah I am hoping to get some legendary sword or axe or something. pretty much only got some dagger and throwing knife hehe.

Parakeetman

yeah I am hoping to get some legendary sword or axe or something. pretty much only got some dagger and throwing knife hehe.

there is some good agi armor set too i think problem is the def is kinda low unless you get lucky with the plus number.

so how are you enjoying this title compared to others by exp inc?

Dorarnae

there is some good agi armor set too i think problem is the def is kinda low unless you get lucky with the plus number.

so how are you enjoying this title compared to others by exp inc?

it's different. I like what they did with the ''union gauge''.
I need to wait for my character to rest. I have like 5 characters resting...it's getting a bit hard to gear the other member and they're also lower in level with less hp.

Parakeetman

it's different. I like what they did with the ''union gauge''.
I need to wait for my character to rest. I have like 5 characters resting...it's getting a bit hard to gear the other member and they're also lower in level with less hp.

With the choices for the union gauge Im picking stuff thats pretty much more defensive than anything, since even something like attacking first isnt going to matter if we cant kill them that turn lol or hit them.

Dorarnae

With the choices for the union gauge Im picking stuff thats pretty much more defensive than anything, since even something like attacking first isnt going to matter if we cant kill them that turn lol or hit them.

I am mostly going with Riu so far. maybe I'll get that 20% regen later...
finally got some lance, didn't know they offered damage reduction, this will help my knight hehe.

I wonder if holy shield will cost mp with the healer, would be nice considering in other game you would just spam that skill...

Parakeetman

I am mostly going with Riu so far. maybe I'll get that 20% regen later...
finally got some lance, didn't know they offered damage reduction, this will help my knight hehe.

I wonder if holy shield will cost mp with the healer, would be nice considering in other game you would just spam that skill...

yeah the lance seems to add to def. ive yet to find a good one myself unfortunately.

my knight is using an axe i think lol. kinda wasted on him since its not like he attacks all that much.

I got the PC version of this game the other day and though I don't know when I will be able to play it I have been really enjoying the soundtrack. How do the game systems compare in this game to operation abyss? Little as I played I was a bit put off by the irregular (for me) shop system in that game.

ys45

Did not heard about this , art style is very nice .
Hopefully this will be localized for Vita

Or Steam

Parakeetman

It says "発売日発表!" in the Teaser which means that they will announce the release date there (if my Japanese doesn't fail me?).

Nope thats right, release date announcement is what it says.

Parakeetman

I got the PC version of this game the other day and though I don't know when I will be able to play it I have been really enjoying the soundtrack. How do the game systems compare in this game to operation abyss? Little as I played I was a bit put off by the irregular (for me) shop system in that game.

This game is a lot more straightforward and there is no self powering up of your equipment. Its all found with with bonus stats from loot runs which are specific locations on the map where you spend "morale" to ambush enemy supply parties for their stuff.

its a pretty interesting system, the best though is how the character advancement works. with the class changing and using skills from other classes etc. but need to think too since number of class changes you can do is limited.

Pejo

I've honestly never tried a dungeon crawler before, but the art in this game is phenomenal, I know I'm a little late to the party on this guy but i'd love to give this a shot on Vita if it comes states-side. Also looking at Demon Gaze as suggested by the OP.

This game is a lot more straightforward and there is no self powering up of your equipment. Its all found with with bonus stats from loot runs which are specific locations on the map where you spend "morale" to ambush enemy supply parties for their stuff.

its a pretty interesting system, the best though is how the character advancement works. with the class changing and using skills from other classes etc. but need to think too since number of class changes you can do is limited.

Thanks, that sounds great. Difficulty wise I didn't find op abyss was very challenging though again I didn't play too far into it, how does stranger compare. I also have entaku no seito psp, would you say that I would benefit from playing that before this considering loose ties?

Come to think of it how would you rank the experience games in terms of difficulty.

Dorarnae

Thanks, that sounds great. Difficulty wise I didn't find op abyss was very challenging though again I didn't play too far into it, how does stranger compare. I also have entaku no seito psp, would you say that I would benefit from playing that before this considering loose ties?

Come to think of it how would you rank the experience games in terms of difficulty.

overall experience game aren't very hard. stranger in sword city seems their hardest in my opinion.

Parakeetman

Lets see. Id say Op Abyss, Entaku no Seito then Stranger of Sword City

in order of easy to hard would go.

I just rank Entaku higher that Op Abyss as you have a preset party to work with rather than one you can customize how you like, since all the party members in Entaku are story based.

While am not sure yet how it connects apparently there is some connection with the Stranger of Sword City and Entaku esp with how Charon is in the game. Who was an enemy in Entaku then there is another named monster that will appear which you will recognize after playing entaku.

Demon Gaze is most likely the easiest in the EXP Inc Library.

Thanks to both of you. I will start with Stranger than, aesthetic wise it and Entaku are the most appealing of the EXP games for me and as I mentioned the OST for stranger is absolutely awesome. Sort of a side question but is the psp version of entaku no seito different from the original PC?

Parakeetman

Thanks to both of you. I will start with Stranger than, aesthetic wise it and Entaku are the most appealing of the EXP games for me and as I mentioned the OST for stranger is absolutely awesome. Sort of a side question but is the psp version of entaku no seito different from the original PC?

For the most part they should be pretty much the same I think. I have all 3. PC, X360, PSP

The PSP one has the most updates done to it with music, voices and other gameplay related changes. So PSP one is most def what you will want to be playing.

Entaku has excellent music also. I really hope they make another entaku game

am not sure if they added all the other stuff from the psp back into the PC version with a patch.

Parakeetman

You beat this yet parakeet? How long did it take and how was the story?

Not yet, think Dorarnae is farther than me, though I wouldnt use his time as a measuring stick since dude is insanely good with these games and can clear them pretty fast lol.

But have progressed maybe 1/4th into the game and do enjoy the story. I really like the setting and world itself.

Personally Id love to see a reverse version of the world where things from the other side spill into the modern world we live in for the second title as something different.

Great characters and fantastic music / art. The game system itself too is very well done with the character advancement and the ever present feeling of perma-death makes you be sure to take far more care with your characters than before in other titles.

Top Bottom