• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Sword City |OT| Okay, it's been an hour. Are you dead yet?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I haven't seen that image without the logo either. And yeah, I think the demo is 2 quests and level 8 cap. I didn't play any more of it yet, instead got farther in Operation Abyss.

They say that data from the demo will be able to be transferred to the retail version too as another incentive to keep playing.

CrovaxPSO

They say that data from the demo will be able to be transferred to the retail version too as another incentive to keep playing.

Nice, that's cool. I think I'd be even more willing to just buy the PC version if the Vita port of Dungeon Travelers 2 wasn't coming out in a month or so. That plus English release of Persona Q should be enough to wait for the Vita release.

Parakeetman

Nice, that's cool. I think I'd be even more willing to just buy the PC version if the Vita port of Dungeon Travelers 2 wasn't coming out in a month or so. That plus English release of Persona Q should be enough to wait for the Vita release.

But as a collector you must! Its like how I have 3 different versions of Students of Round and 3 of demon gaze. 4 if you consider digital to be another lol.

True DT 2 is late Sept I think 25th.

Parakeetman

Also for those who mentioned that it would be too expensive for them to import a copy of the physical PC JP release, Ataka-san the Director says that there are plans for a DL version in the future. I would imagine that they hope to sell through their initial stock of the physical copies first. But at least thats good news for those who wanted the PC version.

Parakeetman

It certainly looks the best. I love the crisp art style over the hyper anime style of Demon Gaze. Both have their charms, but this is more reminiscent of Wizardry Renaissance.

the overall combat and game balance is by far the best that they have done

Dorarnae

Tried it a little this morning. looks very good so far. just sad that it doesn't seem to support english keyboard.(because it's a trial version?)

CrovaxPSO

Tried it a little this morning. looks very good so far. just sad that it doesn't seem to support english keyboard.(because it's a trial version?)

There's another application it installs that let's you change key bindings and video options, etc. The icon is a treasure chest.

Parakeetman

i seriously hope the two of you buy the game as there is literally no one else to talk to about it lol

CrovaxPSO

i seriously hope the two of you buy the game as there is literally no one else to talk to about it lol

If I had extra money I would definitely get the PC version, but there's so much other stuff coming out and I would prefer to play on the Vita anyway. I still haven't gone back to the demo since I want to finish Operation Abyss in time to start Cross Blood over again for the Ultimate OT. I still might end up getting the PC version if there isn't much new info on the Vita port by the time TGS comes around.

Dorarnae

If I had extra money I would definitely get the PC version, but there's so much other stuff coming out and I would prefer to play on the Vita anyway. I still haven't gone back to the demo since I want to finish Operation Abyss in time to start Cross Blood over again for the Ultimate OT. I still might end up getting the PC version if there isn't much new info on the Vita port by the time TGS comes around.

I am still wondering if I grab cross blood ultimate, but I know I'll probably will, I can't resist lol.

CrovaxPSO

I am still wondering if I grab cross blood ultimate, but I know I'll probably will, I can't resist lol.

I never got that far in the original Vita release, so I'm just going to start that over since the only new content in Ultimate seems to be some portraits. I like the new cover art, but don't think I need to buy the game again for that, haha.

Parakeetman

sounds like a plan for sure though i think you guys will agree when you get more hands on that system wise and character levelling this us the best in the series

Dorarnae

just finished the demo. this one seems more challenging than their other titles.
liking it so far. it's cool that your other party member get exp at the bar too, so I'll probably end up using more character...

These kind of games sure are pretty in pictures, they all remind me of Wizardry forsaken such and such on the PS2..i loved that game, partly because of the movement..these static games loose me entirely due to the lack of animation..if Vanillaware ever used their animation tech to make a game in this genre, I think they would blow the doors wide open on it,

cj_iwakura

These kind of games sure are pretty in pictures, they all remind me of Wizardry forsaken such and such on the PS2..i loved that game, partly because of the movement..these static games loose me entirely due to the lack of animation..if Vanillaware ever used their animation tech to make a game in this genre, I think they would blow the doors wide open on it,

Wizardry: TotFL is one of a kind. We'll never see a DC like that again.

Parakeetman

just finished the demo. this one seems more challenging than their other titles.
liking it so far. it's cool that your other party member get exp at the bar too, so I'll probably end up using more character...

The best part about it is how you can customize your characters by having them level up the other skill classes and you can pick out certain traits that you want when you switch back. Though what makes it difficult is you only have a limited amount of times that you can change classes. Plus it gets expensive also limited skill slots and to gain more you need to raise a class past a certain levels

This game seriously makes you more attached to your characters and be a lot more careful. As when you lose your character its gone for good pretty much in the worst case scenario. Also wounded characters ones that have taken critical damage below zero but still have LP life points remaining take a good amount of time to heal in the infirmary too. Which means you better have backup characters ready to go. Thankfully the game gives exp to characters not in the party at the same time, but they wont be as well off exp wise as your main party for example.

CrovaxPSO

Animated portraits would be nice, and Vanillaware-quality animation would be amazing, but in the end I don't really think it would add all that much. There would still be a limited number of monster types and the animations would probably lose their luster fairly quickly. And wanting more variety in addition to animations is probably far beyond the scope of what Experience can handle producing due to their small size.

I'm not saying you're wrong for not liking the static portraits or anything, but I don't think it's something to reasonably expect from the companies still making dungeon crawlers. Although Experience does seem to be doing well, and are still looking to hire apparently, so maybe the next game will be something more high-budget.

Parakeetman

Animated portraits would be nice, and Vanillaware-quality animation would be amazing, but in the end I don't really think it would add all that much. There would still be a limited number of monster types and the animations would probably lose their luster fairly quickly. And wanting more variety in addition to animations is probably far beyond the scope of what Experience can handle producing due to their small size.

I'm not saying you're wrong for not liking the static portraits or anything, but I don't think it's something to reasonably expect from the companies still making dungeon crawlers. Although Experience does seem to be doing well, and are still looking to hire apparently, so maybe the next game will be something more high-budget.

I wouldnt expect it to be more high budget, but more than likely they will be trying something different in order to bring in more users. Ive talked with the producer and he said that they are interested in trying something not as hard-core to attract more fans. Which is apparently what Demon Gaze did, but still they would like to see if its possible to bring in even more.

So will be interesting to see what their 2 new IPs will be. Since it was stated that they are aiming towards making 2 new ones next year I think it was.

One thing for sure is they are not going to change their overall model, just try to make a different IP to hit a different group of folks. Plus they still have their other titles that are being worked on.

Basically we dont have to worry about them going "casul" on us. Since they know a good portion of their main income is from the more hardcore crowd that keeps picking up their titles in general. Am sure SoSC will sell pretty well once it hits the Vita. Its just that currently folks didnt want the 360 one at this point in the game hence the low numbers. Will be interesting to see how the PC version does.

They do need to make a return to the more narrative heavy type of game, which is nice to see that in some ways SoSC does that, but the one that they still have done it the best with was Students of Round. Which Chikami-san said that it sold pretty well for their expectations overall. Had mentioned that do hope they make another game from that series.

CrovaxPSO

I wouldnt expect it to be more high budget, but more than likely they will be trying something different in order to bring in more users. Ive talked with the producer and he said that they are interested in trying something not as hard-core to attract more fans. Which is apparently what Demon Gaze did, but still they would like to see if its possible to bring in even more.

So will be interesting to see what their 2 new IPs will be. Since it was stated that they are aiming towards making 2 new ones next year I think it was.

One thing for sure is they are not going to change their overall model, just try to make a different IP to hit a different group of folks. Plus they still have their other titles that are being worked on.

Basically we dont have to worry about them going "casul" on us. Since they know a good portion of their main income is from the more hardcore crowd that keeps picking up their titles in general. Am sure SoSC will sell pretty well once it hits the Vita. Its just that currently folks didnt want the 360 one at this point in the game hence the low numbers. Will be interesting to see how the PC version does.

They do need to make a return to the more narrative heavy type of game, which is nice to see that in some ways SoSC does that, but the one that they still have done it the best with was Students of Round. Which Chikami-san said that it sold pretty well for their expectations overall. Had mentioned that do hope they make another game from that series.

Personally now I hope they make whatever they'll call "Abyss 2" next year. Operation Abyss ending seems to lead right into the next game.

Parakeetman

Personally now I hope they make whatever they'll call "Abyss 2" next year. Operation Abyss ending seems to lead right into the next game.

Am pretty sure they will.

Need to get more copies sold as right now while it was nice having been up in the top 5 sales chart and number 2 in DL ranking initially, they still seem to be a bit down by the low sales numbers.

Over here I still have 1 LE version of the game and 2 normal editions to sell for anyone interested lol.

One thing I wonder is if they will try to return to their original design for SoSC which was a more casual focused dungeon crawler that they talked about in an interview with JP 4gamer website.

Wizardry: TotFL is one of a kind. We'll never see a DC like that again.

Tales of the forsaken Land, that was it, and yes, you may well be right, that game was hard but rewarding in an dark souls turn based RPG kind of way with shortcuts, obscure mechanics and everything.

Parakeetman

Tales of the forsaken Land, that was it, and yes, you may well be right, that game was hard but rewarding in an dark souls turn based RPG kind of way with shortcuts, obscure mechanics and everything.

Its more a damned shame you guys in the US didnt get the 2nd one as there were 2 released in Japan. Though personally the first one was better, which was the one you guys got.

Dorarnae

Its more a damned shame you guys in the US didnt get the 2nd one as there were 2 released in Japan. Though personally the first one was better, which was the one you guys got.

I personally prefered the second game. gameplay wise that is. had more class and stuff, and overall better music.

Can't speak for the story though, the first game was very well written so I think it's hard to beat and I can't really read japanese, so no idea what happened in the second game hehe.

oh and making stone and other stuff was faster. sooooooo slow in the first game ;(

joe2187

Banned
So I've become addicted to Demon Gaze, I think there's a 100% chance of me getting this for the Vita. It looks beautiful

CrovaxPSO

So I've become addicted to Demon Gaze, I think there's a 100% chance of me getting this for the Vita. It looks beautiful

If you want another dungeon crawler before the Vita release of this, you should check out Operation Abyss and Cross Blood Infinity (Ultimate). Same developer, not as pretty as this game since they're based on older games, but similar to Demon Gaze in most ways.

Parakeetman

Its a great game that has a fantastic system with how character advancement works. Will most def give people more of a challenge. Good music and story too.

Heres the OT for Operation Abyss.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859273

If you like that game Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate will be out in Japan later this month if you import titles too. :)

man that reminds me i need to look at the resources i have for the crossblood OT. do recall there not being nearly as much as this games.

at least for the pc ver of SoSC all i need to do is just change the game info image

Parakeetman

PC version is officially out! Have 2 other graphics files Id like to add but will have to do it tomorrow.

Dorarnae

haha nice enjoy the game! let me know what you think of the games system when you progress in it.

some last chronicle card inside the case heh.
is this card game getting popular? experience seems to be pushing it a little, the guide book for stranger of sword city had the rule book and 2 starter deck

I actually bought the artbook for last chronicle a few month ago, kinda like the art.

Parakeetman

some last chronicle card inside the case heh.
is this card game getting popular? experience seems to be pushing it a little, the guide book for stranger of sword city had the rule book and 2 starter deck

I actually bought the artbook for last chronicle a few month ago, kinda like the art.

not sure about the card game as dont keep up with the tcg scene at all. i think it might be more they have artists doing stuff for it maybe.i got like 4 starter decks from the 360 ver and pc ver. lol

stuff ordered from exp seem to have it packed in

Parakeetman

hehe ok.
I just created a new character, quite cool they come with some exp right away.

im still curious if there are any hidden classes later on. due to that id why i didnt totally fill up my character roster.

am sure you will be experimenting with the character advancement, class change, skill set for a while. hard choices since number of times we can class change is limited.

one thing for sure with the game is that the knight class actually works unlike with the Xth series lol. mine in this game is a friggin steel wall.

other characters seriously would have been one shotted without him Σ(゜Д゜)

Dorarnae

im still curious if there are any hidden classes later on. due to that id why i didnt totally fill up my character roster.

am sure you will be experimenting with the character advancement, class change, skill set for a while. hard choices since number of times we can class change is limited.

one thing for sure with the game is that the knight class actually works unlike with the Xth series lol. mine in this game is a friggin steel wall.

other characters seriously would have been one shotted without him Σ(゜Д゜)

lol ok. some boss were hitting quite hard on my fighter and dancer. knight definitely have more armor. I am starting to unlock a few skill now. rampage with the fighter I think it's called, finally some multi hit skill.

Parakeetman

lol ok. some boss were hitting quite hard on my fighter and dancer. knight definitely have more armor. I am starting to unlock a few skill now. rampage with the fighter I think it's called, finally some multi hit skill.

its the usual with having to spend a turn to focus before using.

Top Bottom