• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streamer feigns disability for donations, owns himself

Daingurse

Well... read some poetry, read some books, watch a great movie, pick up some of the philosophers who talk heavily about nihilism. Talk about it among friends.

One of the greatest challenges in life is overcoming nihilism and understand social humanity.

You need not despise this con-artist... but at least come to appreciate the empathy for others.

Yeah Major Depression makes stuff like that very unrelatable. I try not to use my illness as a crutch but I'm sorry I feel zero empathy for anyone effected by this dude. The people who donated had their hearts in the right place but really there's much better things you can do with your money if you want to actually help people.

I don't think what this person did was good, but I can respect his hustle.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I think your over analyzing things just a biiiit. But I would call myself a nihilist at times.

Nihilist?, more like a fuckwad deserving of nothing but scorn and peoples hate.

TommyT

NCZPGff.jpg

I don't get this.

Daingurse

Nihilist?, more like a fuckwad deserving of nothing but scorn and peoples hate.

Haha whatever man. Pile it on folks, whatever makes you feel better about yourselves. Nothing changes my opinions on the subject.

I'm outta of this thread, gonna debate which Pokemon are best. A much more constructive use of my time

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I'm fat and my feet hurt. Please gimme money GAF. Pics for proof of my fatness can be provided if need be. Any amount would help.

God bless

Sorral

Disgusting. But I am not surprised after having see what people do first hand.

To Daingurse above, while I don't wish it upon you, I am sure your view and 'respect' will change once something big of the same kind happens to you.

Gold Member
Haha whatever man. Pile it on folks, whatever makes you feel better about yourselves. Nothing changes my opinions on the subject.

I'm outta of this thread, gonna debate which Pokemon are best. A much more constructive use of my time

I don't think it was about making themselves feel better, you really did bring that on yourself.

You can't expect to come into a thread about a scammer have the views you have and not expect some sort of backlash. Sometimes it's best to say nothing...

My back hurts as hell today. GIEV GOLD PLX!

Not surprised though. Does the US has some sort of disability benefits? Sweden has a huge program for paying assistants to disabled people. Since they may need help 24/7, this can be extreme amounts. And obviously, there are cheaters, both random people that claim to be disabled and then are found on Thailand beaches or doing gardening, or even worse, criminal groups that register as caretakers for disabled people (often immigrants who can't communicate with authorities themselves) and then simply pocket the money or give only very basic help.

All of which casts doubt on people that actually need the help.

Con artists and some crimes. A person can justify their actions with anything, but it doesn't change whether what they did was inherently good or bad. I believe it's wrong to steal say a loaf of bread in order to feed your starving family, but I can respect it.

intro to philosophy eh?

So is this like Kickstarter where nothing can be done, or is there expected to be repercussions (other than being banned from the stream site)?

NoRéN

Eh, still not as bad as the guy who accidentally left his stream on while having sex with his girlfriend. Or the dude who left his stream on while masturbating.

Yeah. At least he didn't get up and masturbate on his girlfriend.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Can you guys stop feeding Daingurse so he'll just shut the fuck up.

This thread needs to be focused on Zillian's horrible actions. I want more info asap

Daingurse

Can you guys stop feeding Daingurse so he'll just shut the fuck up.

This thread needs to be focused on Zillian's horrible actions. I want more info asap

Yes please stop baiting me to come back to this thread. I'm trying to argue why Tyranitar is the best.

Gold Member
My back hurts as hell today. GIEV GOLD PLX!

Not surprised though. Does the US has some sort of disability benefits? Sweden has a huge program for paying assistants to disabled people. Since they may need help 24/7, this can be extreme amounts. And obviously, there are cheaters, both random people that claim to be disabled and then are found on Thailand beaches or doing gardening, or even worse, criminal groups that register as caretakers for disabled people (often immigrants who can't communicate with authorities themselves) and then simply pocket the money or give only very basic help.

All of which casts doubt on people that actually need the help.
Its the same in the UK we have good benefits for people with disabilities, we also have a fair amount of people taking advantage of said system. Mind you it has recently changed (for the better I hope) so it should be harder to scam now.

Just hope it doesn't deter / affect those that really need it as we should be helping these people.

amrod

As someone who is in a wheelchair, to see someone faking it for personal gain is fucked up...

Here's hoping he gets in a accident and really gets to be in one!

mrgreen

Banned
Man, Juniors have been really bad for the past few weeks.

Sorry but thats really a snobbish and really annoying thing to say. At least he isn't one of the 10000 members who spam the forums just to say the same thing as the person before them. "Salty, but he is right"....."dat"....fuck me, members are enlightening geniuses and juniors are idiots.

NoRéN

As someone who is in a wheelchair, to see someone faking it for personal gain is fucked up...

Here's hoping he gets in a accident and really gets to be in one!

Don't go to Disneyland. So many miracles once they get to skip the line.

Mr Jared

While I'm sure this thread will somehow come back to haunt my Google search rankings, I'm glad I missed that bit of Detective GAF misfire ;D

Officially, from the Twitch perspective, this has been handled. We closed his account, terminated his partnership contract, and we'll be issuing refunds to his subscribers in the coming week. Everything else is in the hands of the people he defrauded, of which I'm sure they'll seek retribution, as they probably should.

Obvious, reprehensible behavior aside, what upsets me most about this is that Twitch has numerous, established disabled gamers, and what this guy did is a huge slap into the face to people such as Aieron, and communities such as AbleGamers, who are helping raise awareness of their causes, as well as providing positive environments for fellow disabled gamers. I just hope this doesn't affect them in the long run.

Hex

Banned
While I'm sure this thread will somehow come back to haunt my Google search rankings, I'm glad I missed that bit of Detective GAF misfire ;D

Officially, from the Twitch perspective, this has been handled. We closed his account, terminated his partnership contract, and we'll be issuing refunds to his subscribers in the coming week. Everything else is in the hands of the people he defrauded, of which I'm sure they'll seek retribution, as they probably should.

Obvious, reprehensible behavior aside, what upsets me most about this is that Twitch has numerous, established disabled gamers, and what this guy did is a huge slap into the face to people such as Aieron, and communities such as AbleGamers, who are helping raise awareness of their causes, as well as providing positive environments for fellow disabled gamers. I just hope this doesn't affect them in the long run.

Good shit sir.
And I agree, it is shitty that this may hurt those that get genuine help and that do put themselves out there.

baphomet

A fool and their money...

Sucks some people are so easily scammed, but that's what happens when people are so easily trusted. And people thinking legal action can/will happen are hilarious. Do you sue the homeless person you give money because they use the money you have them for drugs instead of food?

The_Monk

Thanks for posting it here fellow GAFfer. I also got caught by the bad detective GAF case and I kindly apologize for the early mistake.

Good to see Twitch refunding his subscribers. I really do hope there's no problem with the rest of the Disabled gamers but I can see this case to harm them, that is what saddens me to be honest. We can only hope there's no repeat cases like this one.

EDIT: I just saw another streamer talking about this and an interesting question came about people who cast for Donations like Cancer or other social events. They had the chip-in or similar, their own Paypal account but not all of them give some sort of proof that the money went indeed to the association, it's just a bar filling up with money from good people but there's no real proof if the money goes to where they say it goes.

Does Twitch has some form to verify this or is it simply something that they don't intend on controlling?

syllogism

A fool and their money...

Sucks some people are so easily scammed, but that's what happens when people are so easily trusted. And people thinking legal action can/will happen are hilarious. Do you sue the homeless person you give money because they use the money you have them for drugs instead of food?
Legal action is absolutely possible, both criminal and civil, but neither is likely.

Mr Jared

EDIT: I just saw another streamer talking about this and an interesting question came about people who cast for Donations like Cancer or other social events. They had the chip-in or similar, their own Paypal account but not all of them give some sort of proof that the money went indeed to the association, it's just a bar filling up with money from good people but there's no real proof if the money goes to where they say it goes.

Does Twitch has some form to verify this or is it simply something that they don't intend on controlling?

There's really no way for us to verify these things, and it comes down to broadcaster responsibility. For example, the last time I ran a charity event myself, I posted the final receipts from the donation to the event website. The only way we could, in a technical fashion, verify these types of scenarios is if we were to develop some kind of transaction feature into the site itself, but then we're essentially competing with PayPal, and having to handle transaction fees, and it starts getting extremely messy.

this cant be true...right?

The former was banned outright, while the latter only temporarily. In the case of the latter, you couldn't actually see the act.. you just knew it was happening. The story hit the blogs and the guy took it surprisingly well. So, instead of contributing to ruining his life, we decided to just put him on a final notice probation.

And of course these things are going to happen. It's live video on the internet. People go cray-cray.

You get people saying all the time, "FIRST POST NAILS IT, AS ALWAYS!" and "best first post evar!!1" but for pure timing, perfection, relevancy to the story and sheer genius, you my friend, have genuinely contributed the [greatest] first reply that this forum has or ever will see.

I am humbled.

The_Monk

There's really no way for us to verify these things, and it comes down to broadcaster responsibility. For example, the last time I ran a charity event myself, I posted the final receipts from the donation to the event website. The only way we could, in a technical fashion, verify these types of scenarios is if we were to develop some kind of transaction feature into the site itself, but then we're essentially competing with PayPal, and having to handle transaction fees, and it starts getting extremely messy.

Thanks a lot for answering. It could be a god idea to let people who donate to have a proof in the end of the event/stream. The way you did it it's very simple and easy to do, so other streamers should not have any trouble doing that. Hope they can do it to keep the trust on the level.

Top Bottom