• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streaming: The first 2 hours of Sunset Overdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
I'm watching it fine on FF just fyi. And the support characters kinda talk too much, especially this current one, who's voice is really grating.

-MD-

I'm not quite sure why they decided to go with a grinding mechanic but I'm already tired of it. Between that and the auto-aim this just looks lame to me.

The visuals look nice and I love the colors, the splash the enemies make when they died looked pretty neat but yeah gameplay isn't doing it for me.

Betty

Banned
The city being empty makes sense for the story, but it sure does suck the atmosphere when you're just traveling.

Z3M0G

Why are cars on the streets not moving? I was thinking the city looked lifeless, and I think that's the reason why, mostly.

Edit: Never-mind, I assume it fits the narrative.

Everdred

I'm not quite sure why they decided to go with a grinding mechanic but I'm already tired of it. Between that and the auto-aim this just looks lame to me.

The visuals look nice and I love the colors, the splash the enemies make when they died looked pretty neat but yeah gameplay isn't doing it for me.
I agree. It's an absolute joy to look at but the gameplay doesn't really look that good. Grinding and jumping around looks repetitive. I'm still interested but I'm not convinced.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
the gameplay does evolve as we introduce more enemy types, with more powerful and ranged attacks, that also deny you traversal avenues... if you think about how all of the combat progresses in our action games, I think you'll be happy with how Sunset Overdrive feels as you get into the later portions with Fizzco robots and more powerful OD types.

Z3M0G

Loving these fully voiced / animated cutscenes with a customized character. They deserve big props for that!

VinFTW

the gameplay does evolve as we introduce more enemy types, with more powerful and ranged attacks, that also deny you traversal avenues... if you think about how all of the combat progresses in our action games, I think you'll be happy with how Sunset Overdrive feels as you get into the later portions with Fizzco robots and more powerful OD types.

Excellent.

list wars is happening in the stream chat lol

Lmao, you're right.

Insomniac has outdone themselves here.

The art is amazing.

Agreed, and OT, but I love your avatar :p

Radec

Insomniac has outdone themselves here.

The art is amazing.

Environment is silent though. A background music will definitely improve this alot when free roaming.

-MD-

Can you disable the auto-targeting/auto-aim?

Harmen

Art is spot on. Humor is terrible, terrible stuff most of the time so far. From the company behind R&C that surprises me. Gameplay reminds me of Infamous a lot, which is good. I hope this does well for them.

This game just looks fun. It gives me real strong vibes of the 90's tubular Nickelodeon, slime-dumping Stick Stickly lovin, cowabunga razzle-dazzle of the times and I'm in love. I have it preloaded on the Xbone. Wish I had a review copy so I could play with those reviewers who obviously need people to test the Chaos Squad. Wink wink.

Seems like they nailed the timing for release too. Right between some heavy hitters and around Halloween.

vypek

Pretty interesting so far. Looking like it'll be the first game I get when I get an X1.

The voice actress for the main character being played sounds incredibly familiar. Can't put my finger on who it is though

Always have to close the stream chats for these kind of things. Ugh.

Ape

Banned
This game will suck a good amount of my life into it. It looks like an absolute blast. My friends and I will be on Chaos Squad for a while, the only thing that I'm legitimately worried about is how MCC will take me away from the game. Good thing I'll have plenty of time to play it before MCC hits.

Cornbread78

Oh yeah...

MV5BMTUyODU1MDIzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjM5Njky._V1_SY99_CR24,0,99,99_AL_.jpg

logikk

Neo Member
Game looks awesome to me! Great art style and love the Jet Set Radio grinding feel. The character dialog and cutscenes seems alright and sometimes the humor is actually funny, but looks like a ton of fun.

Radec

I just noticed, Insomniac can really make a beautiful Tony Hawk Pro Skater game. lol

Im imagining her having a skateboard with the classic THPS soundtracks playing.

Ape

Banned
you can tell someone is having a great time with a game when he is doing the challenges over and over, that is a good sign.

cakely

The dialog, delivery and "humor" appears to have been swiped directly from Borderlands. The "punk rock" aesthetic looks like it will get tired really fast. Punk rock? How old were the people that green-lighted that?

Gameplay looks fun, though, like a mix of Jet Set and crackdown.

I'm not sure I'm up for another open-world game right now, though.

Auctopus

Why, Insomniac? :( Only game I wish was multi-platform !
Ok, maybe Horizon 2

The "punk rock" aesthetic looks like it will get tired really fast. Punk rock? How old were the people that green-lighted that?

It's been ripped straight from Amped 3.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The dialog, delivery and "humor" appears to have been swiped directly from Borderlands. The "punk rock" aesthetic looks like it will get tired really fast. Punk rock? How old were the people that green-lighted that?

Gameplay looks fun, though, like a mix of Jet Set and crackdown.

I'm not sure I'm up for another open-world game right now, though.

Umm, you can customize your character to look however you want...it isn't all punk rock styles.

Jinaar

This game will shine when the player gets enough experience with the world and the controls and will start to output the most amazing feats. REAALLLLLY looking forward to this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom