• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Grand Finals Tournament December 8th, 2012

Justin would have won a couple more rounds if EX Messiah didn't un-combo on crouching Akuma. I just don't get it. Are there other attacks that un-combo in SF4 due to character's hurtbox?

as sakura you do cr. lk, cr. lp, cr.hp -> ex tatsu slow on adon, the last part of the tatsu whiffs

are people forgetting he uses yang in sf ae at Evo last year? And that Ricky Ortiz used yun? Neither used Rufus last Evo

Actually they both have used Rufus at all EVO with SF4. The Yang/Yun was just random bull shit U.S Majors. It was never serious... note that Justin's first ever lost to Mike Ross was with Yang. That's how legitimate his Yang was....

I agree with Rice-eater. Yun might not have been a better match up character wise, but Infiltration was just on top of his game in the Shoto war. Maybe a change of pace, and play style can get him out of his zone.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Real life picture from the event

699725248.jpg

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
That's like saying Tokido should have picked Urien against MOV. No point using a character you aren't super comfortable with.

You realize this is the guy who picked fucking GUILE (i.e. a character that, unlike Yun, he didn't have HIGHLY EXTENSIVE playtime with against top tier opponents) as a counterpick and won an international major, right? And the guy who was the best Street Fighter player on earth with Yun in a previous iteration of the game, right?

Please. Daigo would have fared much better picking Yun. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and after the 3-0 in winners finals he probably didn't think he needed to, even when it was almost too late.

It felt like after he switched to Ken he was just trying to challenge himself by getting as many throws as possible.

You would see him walking up and getting/whiffing throws 10x more when he was playing Ken and already made it to GF than when he was playing Chun before.

Ken has the best matchup against Chun (aside from mirror obviously). Throws are just a great tool when someone is thinking wake up parry. Kuroda uses it a bunch in this match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3BAMtyzsRE&feature=player_detailpage#t=258s

You realize this is the guy who picked fucking GUILE (i.e. a character that, unlike Yun, he didn't have HIGHLY EXTENSIVE playtime with against top tier opponents) as a counterpick and won an international major, right? And the guy who was the best Street Fighter player on earth with Yun in a previous iteration of the game, right?

Please. Daigo would have fared much better picking Yun. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and after the 3-0 in winners finals he probably didn't think he needed to, even when it was almost too late.

Guile actually used to be Daigo's sub character and actuallly ate Fei Long in that matchup.

SamVimes

WHEN? I keep hearing this bullshit. He got third at evo with Yun.

I'm fairly certain Kazunoko was better with Yun than Daigo, but I could be wrong.

BadWolf

I think Kaz was better overall. There were times I think when Daigo took number 1 ranking Yun ranking at the arcade but even then that doesn't mean Daigo is the better Yun.

In terms of ranking Daigo dominated pretty much the entire time that version of Yun was there. Kaz would usually move up when Daigo was overseas for tournaments but that's about it. Not until Daigo ditched Yun for Akuma/Ryu did Kaz really become the no.1 Yun in terms of ranking.

In terms of skill they would go back and forth. Momochi's Yun was really good as well.

I just finished catching up on everything.

So good.

First of all, Damdai's T.hawk looked amazing. Don't know much about this game, but it was fun to watch.

I've heard of MOV before, but I didn't know he was this good at 3rd Strike. He pretty much dominated everyone at this tournament, and looked unstoppable.

Super Street Figther 4- I'm really surprised Daigo lost the second round. It seemed like he came prepared for Infiltration, after the first set. I don't really understand what happened in the next two sets, but it seems like Infiltration just adjusted really well. The first set Daigo was really aggressive, but then the next two sets Infiltration was the aggressor. It seems to be really high level mind game or fundamentals, but Infiltration just seemed to adjust his game, in such a way that he kept opening up Daigo.

SFxTekken - I don't understand this game much, but Infiltration is a monster in this game as well.

This is definitely Infiltration's year.
From what I've heard before, Poongko also has a hard time against Infiltration, and most of the time loses to him, at national tournaments, and doesn't like him to much.
I don't really understand Infiltration's play as it seems very high level and Akuma just seems like a difficult char to really know all the ins and outs but I accept that he's amazing.

Now I wonder how Daigo is going to respond.
I would love to see them play a first to ten.

Thinking about next year's EVO, are we going to see the same round of players making top 8 for SSF4. Infiltration could lose, but he will def be top 8. I wonder if anyone is capable of destroying Infiltration though. Will there be a rise of new overlord? Will Daigo comeback with an alteration to his game? I wonder what his plans are now? If he trained a lot for this tourney,
has he peaked? I'm curious as to what will happen next EVO!

Grecco

Actually they both have used Rufus at all EVO with SF4. The Yang/Yun was just random bull shit U.S Majors. It was never serious... note that Justin's first ever lost to Mike Ross was with Yang. That's how legitimate his Yang was....

I agree with Rice-eater. Yun might not have been a better match up character wise, but Infiltration was just on top of his game in the Shoto war. Maybe a change of pace, and play style can get him out of his zone.

i remember him using yang in every road to evo major how was it random bull shit? picking top tier will not equal success. Unless these pro players start putting the work Infiltration does. Specifically with the scouting/notes that he does. they wont be as succesfull imo

i remember him using yang in every road to evo major how was it random bull shit? picking top tier will not equal success. Unless these pro players start putting the work Infiltration does. Specifically with the scouting/notes that he does. they wont be as succesfull imo

Pretty much. Use Yang in the early road to evo then use Rufus at EVO. More like "I'm trying and hide my tech" too bad it didn't work out for him and it backfired.

Pretty much. Use Yang in the early road to evo then use Rufus at EVO. More like "I'm trying and hide my tech" too bad it didn't work out for him and it backfired.

Bs he only used Yang late on during Road to Evo and even then only at CEO/NCR. After he got blown up by Naps he dropped Yang completely.

gutabo

As always, I'm hella late.
Justin would have won a couple more rounds if EX Messiah didn't un-combo on crouching Akuma. I just don't get it. Are there other attacks that un-combo in SF4 due to character's hurtbox?

There are lots of attacks, Ryu's ex tatsu on rose, Honda's hands/EX hands(you can even punish him), blanka/balrog's funky hurtboxes, it's almost as common as character specific combos(or attacks that don't fully connect, like chun's U1 on an airborne opponent).

Also I don't know if I'm alone in this but I think Rufus vortex is one of the easiest(execution-wise) to do, I mean you just change the timing of the dive kick to change where it'll hit. Maybe that easy of use plus their own skills made Justin/Ricky too comfortable with the character, otherwise I can't explain that after so much time they were still dropping combos with them.

So besides the whole whiffing on crouching characters, what else is wrong with Rufus? It seemed like tier whoring when Ricky, Marn and Floe switched to Rufus after all of the success Justin had with the character.

There are a lot of pro players who pick a top tier. I don't get the points that are trying to be made. If there is a lot of money to on the table, you should do your best to stack the odds in your favor. I don't see how Infiltration, Daigo or Fuudo did that, since none of their characters win majors except for when these specific players use them.

So besides the whole whiffing on crouching characters, what else is wrong with Rufus? It seemed like tier whoring when Ricky, Marn and Floe switched to Rufus after all of the success Justin had with the character.

There are a lot of pro players who pick a top tier. I don't get the points that are trying to be made. If there is a lot of money to on the table, you should do your best to stack the odds in your favor. I don't see how Infiltration, Daigo or Fuudo did that, since none of their characters win majors except for when these specific players use them.

Marn plays rufus? I've seen him stick to Dudley and thats about it.

Also Rufus has big hitbox, bad reversals (ex messiah can whiff crouching opponents), and low stun.

kirblar

The biggest disadvantage US players have is simply population density. It's harder to get top-tier competition on a regular basis here in the states.

He dropped viper for rufus when he played. This is pre dudley.

Exactly. Ricky used to main Chun Li. Marn used to main Boxer. Floe used to main Sagat. I'm not going to assume and correlate that EG sponsoring these players and the fact Justin was winning tournament after tournament with Rufus motivated his teammates to use the same character. But back in 2009/2010, Rufus seemed to be winning tournament after tournament and seemed to be the top tier.

We hardly ever see Akuma or Ryu in the U.S. winning tournaments.

The biggest disadvantage US players have is simply population density. It's harder to get top-tier competition on a regular basis here in the states.

I agree but then again Dieminion, Wolfkrone and Latif are examples of players wanting to get better and simply grinding either online or locals. But the Japanese do have the benefit of an arcade scene and most of them live in or near Tokyo.

Tik-Tok

Exactly. Ricky used to main Chun Li. Marn used to main Boxer. Floe used to main Sagat. I'm not going to assume and correlate that EG sponsoring these players and the fact Justin was winning tournament after tournament with Rufus motivated his teammates to use the same character. But back in 2009/2010, Rufus seemed to be winning tournament after tournament and seemed to be the top tier.

We hardly ever see Akuma or Ryu in the U.S. winning tournaments.

I agree but then again Dieminion, Wolfkrone and Latif are examples of players wanting to get better and simply grinding either online or locals. But the Japanese do have the benefit of an arcade scene and most of them live in or near Tokyo.

Marn's been playing with Rufus since vanilla.

Busaiku

You know, did everyone forget Momochi used Ken a lot?
I dunno if that was his main, but back in Super, it's the character I saw him use the most (but I didn't watch as much stuff as I do now, so maybe that's it).

I mean everyone kept mentioning his Akuma, his Cody, and Yun, but I don't think anyone recognized his Ken.
Heck, I didn't even know he used Akuma.

Infinite

You know, did everyone forget Momochi used Ken a lot?
I dunno if that was his main, but back in Super, it's the character I saw him use the most (but I didn't watch as much stuff as I do now, so maybe that's it).

I mean everyone kept mentioning his Akuma, his Cody, and Yun, but I don't think anyone recognized his Ken.
Heck, I didn't even know he used Akuma.

Momochi used Akuma in vanilla (won an SBO with him) Ken in super and AE 2011 and switched to Cody and Yun midway through that game's life.

Marn used Boxer then Rufus then Viper then Dudley then Yun then pretty much fell off.

And Momochi started out maining Ryu and Akuma. He switched to Ken in super, famously losing to Gamer Bee at Season's Beatings. He jumped on the Yun bandwagon in AE. Now, he plays Cody and dabbles with other characters.

Infinite

Marn used Boxer then Rufus then Viper then Dudley then Yun then pretty much fell off.

And Momochi started out maining Ryu and Akuma. He switched to Ken in super, famously losing to Gamer Bee at Season's Beatings. He jumped on the Yun bandwagon in AE. Now, he plays Cody and dabbles with other characters.

He actually played Ken and Cody before committing to Yun in AE 2011. He still played Cody a ton in the arcades but pretty much stuck with Yun at majors.

Akuma's a science character. Dude's been top 5 bare minimum (top 3 in everything except AE to me) in all of SF4, but every version it got harder and harder to win with him. Incremental nerfs. He has every tool to deal with everything in the game and isn't absolute horseshit ala Seth -- but managing all of that is not an easy task. I don't think he's an EG crew's style of character, either.

Props to Infiltration because being an Akuma main is really, really frustrating -- you still have to make several correct reads in a row and can't gamble too much or miss any setups, because you'll die. I already felt like this game makes you have to be right too often, and Akuma is the epitome of "you better be right." He's the most legitimate of the top 3 characters IMO -- it's not easy to access his bullshit and make good use of it consistently, especially compared to a Cammy, Fei, Viper, and to a much lesser extent, Adon.

Frankly, I don't know why any of the EG guys stopped playing Cammy. Always been a better but slightly less accessible Rufus. Definitely up their alley and was always a beast.

Infinite

Yeah, I remember him playing Cody in Super too.
That's why I got disappointed when he jumped on the Yun train.

To be fair Cody got destroyed by some of the strongest characters in that version including Yun if I'm not mistaken. It was a little weird to see him drop Ken, a character he played a plenty in Super who only got better, in favor of Cody in AE 2011.

alstein

Never seen U.S this salty. This is like Packers getting their asses kicked by Giants level of salt.

This happens all the time. Under perform. Not give credit where it's due. Talking about picking top tier. A week or so later, things are back to normal.

This is being blown way out of perspective, gotta agree with you there. It's most likely just one dominant player on a huge run, it's happened before and will happen again.

This is being blown way out of perspective, gotta agree with you there. It's most likely just one dominant player on a huge run, it's happened before and will happen again.

Of course Daigo was that player for a huge part of FGC history. However that player has never been an American. NEVER. Not Choi, not Valle, not Justin, not Ricky.

alstein

Of course Daigo was that player for a huge part of FGC history. However that player has never been an American. NEVER. Not Choi, not Valle, not Justin, not Ricky.

That's mainly because America's #1 game has always been Marvel. The last time SF was the #1 game was in the early 90s- and we never got to see Tomo Ohira vs the top Japan SF2 WW/CE players.

That's mainly because America's #1 game has always been Marvel. The last time SF was the #1 game was in the early 90s- and we never got to see Tomo Ohira vs the top Japan SF2 WW/CE players.

Very true but at the same time we probably have the 2nd largest scene in the world. Korea FGC scene is much smaller yet they produce the #1 KOF, and SF player.

GOD DAMN.

Yeah but tomo was only really good by proxy, no one knew how to play during WW.

mephixto

Banned
Never seen U.S this salty. This is like Packers getting their asses kicked by Giants level of salt.

This happens all the time. Under perform. Not give credit where it's due. Talking about picking top tier. A week or so later, things are back to normal.

I'm not American but, wow, Infiltration took ~$ 80,000.00 I would be salty.

Dahbomb

I get so scared when I hear stories about MadKOF and Infiltration putting in lab time with Marvel. MadKOF isn't even interested in KOF much anymore, he says scene is dying there and he is already #1.

hypernima

Banned
I get so scared when I hear stories about MadKOF and Infiltration putting in lab time with Marvel. MadKOF isn't even interested in KOF much anymore, he says scene is dying there and he is already #1.

I don't think they would though, and I still think Marvel is one of the harder games to convert over from regular street fighter play. But then again if Tokido could do well then who knows what these geniuses could do.

vulva

I don't think they would though, and I still think Marvel is one of the harder games to convert over from regular street fighter play. But then again if Tokido could do well then who knows what these geniuses could do.

yeah but tokido just likes cheap bullshit so it's a game that appeals to his heart.

alstein

Yeah but tomo was only really good by proxy, no one knew how to play during WW.

We never got to see it though, you wouldn't know how everyone would have adjusted to each other. We never got to see international play until Daigo came to the US back in the mid-90's, and by then arcades in the US were already in decline. The US is just too sparse to have an arcade culture.

This is one of the reasons I'm curious about the Russian arcade scene, they should be just as sparse of a country. (seen a decent number of Russian VF players , it's semi-playable online as well)

Top Bottom