• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street fighter 6 looks mid imo

Fermbiz

Gold Member
dZn1EwB.gif

Hot5pur

I know they're probably trying to avoid IP fatigue and confusion, but I wish we'd get a more stylized faster Street Fighter like a reboot of the Alpha series, with something similar to GG's aesthetics. These 3D models might just be the ugliest in a fighting game since early KoFXIV. Not in a multi-generational gap kind of way but just the characters and art itself is fucking ugly.
Some are for sure like Ryu, Ken, Luke, Blanka
Cammy, Gief and DJay look pretty dope though.
The art is just very inconsistent and the game doesn't feel cohesive. Menus, huds, colors, just all over the place.

MrMephistoX

Some are for sure like Ryu, Ken, Luke, Blanka
Cammy, Gief and DJay look pretty dope though.
The art is just very inconsistent and the game doesn't feel cohesive. Menus, huds, colors, just all over the place.
Fair generic blonde dude and Ryu with a blanket are visually uninteresting so that might have colored my perception of the demo.

Last edited:
Visually, I think the game generally looks pretty bad due to the more "realistic" style that they've gone with. Having said that, I also think that sometimes traditionally hot girls like Cammy and Juri, look really great in some of the footage. Will Cammy actually show up wearing a sexy leotard eventually? I can only hope so. SFV taught me Capcom are very skittish when it comes to sex appeal.
None of the new character designs appeal to me. Jamie, Manon and Marisa (in particular) look god-awful. I like masculine men and feminine women. Capcom did these designs the other way around.
I dont know much about the combat TBH. I have confidence that Capcom are competent in this area though.

ProtoByte

I want fighting games to evolve just like the shooters and action adventure games did from their simple 2d beginnings. Fighting games are stuck in the past in comparison.

Action adventure and even hack and slash games don’t let us fight like Neo in the matrix. Tom cruise doesn’t just shoot guns in his movies. He punches, kicks, throws, pulls up insane moves we see in fighting games but not in any other game.
Arkham trilogy? TLOU2?

I want that moveset in a story based campaign like mortal kombat. But i don’t want 1v1 basic fights splitting up fancy cutscenes. I want the whole game to play out like that. Have the actual character fights be boss fights.
You can't have MK movesets and button combos on a 3D plane. It just wouldn't work.

What you can have are contextual animation systems, interactive enemy AI, and solid level design. The best action adventure games now have that.

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

8qVoNSo.jpg
GBw6o25.jpg

HBumGeE.jpg
Pu3J2Jo.jpg

Yep, no sex appeal here, why you could show up to a Sunday morning church service wearing one of these outfits and I’m sure no one would do a double take!

Sure, but Im talking about things like...

1. Removal of Mikas butt slap.
2. Censoring Juris default costume.
3. Removal of Cammys nipple bumps.
4. Menats Felicia costume not being a thong (as it was in Darkstalkers).
5. Chuns June Lin costume not being a thong (as it was in Star Gladiator).
6. Lauras Gloria costume not being a thong (as it was in Devil May Cry).
7. Cammys Blair Dame (alt classic) costume not being a thong (as it was in Street Fighter EX). To be fair, this may be more Arikas fault.

Thongs are pretty great.
I also think Capcom could have left more jiggle in the game (as we saw with Chun in the SDV beta) and even given Laura default costume exposed cheeks (which seemed to be something they were considering, based on design art I saw), but maybe these two things are unreasonable.

Doom85

7. Cammys Blair Dame (alt classic) costume not being a thong (as it was in Street Fighter EX). To be fair, this may be more Arikas fault.

Thongs are pretty great.
I also think Capcom could have left more jiggle in the game (as we saw with Chun in the SDV beta) and even given Laura default costume exposed cheeks (which seemed to be something they were considering, based on design art I saw), but maybe these two things are unreasonable.

Mediate The Muppets GIF by ABC Network

Damn, that’s a lot of attention to detail on your part.

Granted, sex appeal is subjective. Thongs don’t really do much for me in terms of game character outfits’ sex appeal, in terms of the Street Fighter ladies I prefer sexy dresses, wedding dresses, school uniforms, pajamas, Christmas outfits, and things like that.

I also don’t mind some muscle on them. Sure, I’m not going to be into a lady like Marisa, but I don’t mind her being included, and some of the other ladies having decent muscles is still hot in my book.

As a wise man once said:

lw8G7xB.gif

nbkicker

Thongs are pretty great.
More likely it was sony that had capcom remove or alter it considering sony had helped fund the game, although capcom did put a email out a few yrs ago saying they need to change and be more like sony studios and there way of potraying woman, but id say streetfighter is the last fighter to still have decent outfits for the females, tekken and mk have them with that much clothing on youd think they where fighting in the antartic , plus there has always been a good streetfighter modding comunity on the pc so cant wait to see what they do with sf6. Especially when for sfv ive got cammy as supergirl, ken as shaggy from scooby do, and cody as john wick

Georome

I never made the 3d transition with Street Fighter. I loved the SFII series, Alpha series, and SFIII, but I've just never gotten into IV or V, despite trying. It's just not the same as the 2d games I grew to love.

93xfan

Banned
I never made the 3d transition with Street Fighter. I loved the SFII series, Alpha series, and SFIII, but I've just never gotten into IV or V, despite trying. It's just not the same as the 2d games I grew to love.
Definitely different. If you can get into other fighting series though, then no reason you couldn’t enjoy this.

pepodmc_

Theres definitivelly something wrong about it.
Like, it felt sluggish playing. With Ryu felt more like they are more worried about doing realistic duck animations than fast reaction to the player imput control.
DEPENDS. I don't want it to be like in marvel vs capcom 3 which, because it is so fast, has so few animation frames in some actions that it seems that certain blows by the characters looked like slides of frames.

nbkicker

If u play sf6 demo or beta it deffently slower then sfv , i notice when playing demo before then going back to sfv, but i still really like what i played so far with sf6, and prob stop playing sfv now and just play beta next weekend and demo till 2nd june, although cancelled my preorder for sf6 on ps5 since recently just been playing demo on my pc and steam deck so will be keeping steam ultimate edition and prob get the ps5 version if it ever goes on sale

NT80

SF4 looked awesome, don't lump that in with the boring weird semi-realism style of 5 and 6.
I would really disagree with that. I thought SF4 looked horrible. 5 looks like an improved version of 4 and SF6 has a different style.
6 is a mixed bag but some of the characters look really good and some of the other stages not in the demo also look pretty good. SF5 started with really crappy stages but the ones they added later were a lot better. The presentation is awful though and what little I've heard of the music isn't so good either.

I would really disagree with that. I thought SF4 looked horrible. 5 looks like an improved version of 4 and SF6 has a different style.
6 is a mixed bag but some of the characters look really good and some of the other stages not in the demo also look pretty good. SF5 started with really crappy stages but the ones they added later were a lot better. The presentation is awful though and what little I've heard of the music isn't so good either.
> 5 looks like an improved version of 4 and SF6 has a different style.

What??? 5 looks nothing like 4 and pushes far more towards realism whereas 4 is more of a balanced mix between anime and realism. If anything 5 should be compared with 6 which looks much more similar to each other than 4 and 5 does as they both have the same focus on realism.

PayoLoko

Man i think you are right on everything... Game looks slow clunky and shit.
But the more i played It the more i liked It. Its not perfect but its so good. Whiff punish baby
Sorry man, you can always go play Guilty gear! Bye

Last edited:
What's puzzling are those that swear SFV is the devil and the worst in the series, while saying the VS gameplay in SF6 is a night and day difference in quality. While it is certainly different, there is so much SFV DNA in SF6 that it is probably the closest coupling between releases this series has ever seen. If more normals had plus frames and there was more of a character specific pressure game, this would be so close, and the Drive Gauge would be the main difference.

Yes, the Drive Gauge is what gives you plus frames and potential pressure. I'm just confused at what makes this so good, and SFV so bad, when this game is very clearly taking after the base that SFV has set.

Edit: Also, for a set from a demo version of the game with two vanilla ass characters, this was pretty intense and gives a good glimpse of what's to come from the tournament scene.

Last edited:

NT80

> 5 looks like an improved version of 4 and SF6 has a different style.

What??? 5 looks nothing like 4 and pushes far more towards realism whereas 4 is more of a balanced mix between anime and realism. If anything 5 should be compared with 6 which looks much more similar to each other than 4 and 5 does as they both have the same focus on realism.
I'm not seeing that. SF6 looks far more distinct from SF5 than 5 does to 4.
4 looked really bad and 5 was a straight up improvement. Maybe a part of it was the jump to 3d models with 4 but that game looked fugly.

Naked Lunch

Thongs are pretty great.
This man wrote a fucking essay on Street Fighter thongs and jiggle but also says:
I dont know much about the combat TBH. I have confidence that Capcom are competent in this area though.
Priorities, I guess. heh.

nbkicker

One week today and its beta time again, then two weeks after that and its release day, it feels like ive been waiting way to long for this, although i think the arcade modes have been done a long time ago, i think the wait has been the world tour mode which i care 0% about

Last edited:
I think it looks great, I like the art style a lot more than I did SFV. I do wish they'd add more color to the distant areas in the backgrounds.

-Zelda-

Banned
Been looking up the music tracks on youtube for SF6, and it is awful. I thought people were just trolling. Like, the beats are fine, but then the lyrics start and I get sick to my stomach. Ugh. I found some instrumental ones that are solid, but the lyric stuff is no thanks from me.

Fake

Been looking up the music tracks on youtube for SF6, and it is awful. I thought people were just trolling. Like, the beats are fine, but then the lyrics start and I get sick to my stomach. Ugh. I found some instrumental ones that are solid, but the lyric stuff is no thanks from me.

I quite shock in fact that people don't listen SF6 before calling that music OK.

Is really that bad. Nothing speak Street Fighter like a good OST, but so far is the worst aspect of the game.

Some folks usually play video game with Spofty app ON, so they either don't bother to listen the music or they never like to listen musics/OST from video games at all.

kunonabi

I tried to give it a shot but that intro, the menus, and the character creator turned me right off. I find the gameplay and roster unappealing to begin with so I'm just going to stick with Tekken 8 which looks better and better every time they show it.

I tried to give it a shot but that intro, the menus, and the character creator turned me right off. I find the gameplay and roster unappealing to begin with so I'm just going to stick with Tekken 8 which looks better and better every time they show it.

How TF did the character creator turn you off? You can make almost anyone you want, it's intuitive, and the options are great. Wish there were more clothing options specifically but I figure they are going to MTX that with purchasable outfits and attire, so it is what it is there.

But no, the character creator is pretty solid.

I won't comment on the gameplay because I'm Casual Central but aesthetically I hated the demo. It's like some Zoomer bro with a broccoli perm yelling in my face the entire time. The music is hyper shit.

MrMephistoX

I won't comment on the gameplay because I'm Casual Central but aesthetically I hated the demo. It's like some Zoomer bro with a broccoli perm yelling in my face the entire time. The music is hyper shit.
I didn’t like the demo either but man did the online beta sell me: Chun was fun AF to play as zoomer bro and homeless blanket Ryu not so much.

hyperbertha

Some of the character models literally look like a downgrade from V. Look at Ryu's model. For the star of his game his model looks terrible, it looks like plastic.

>No new mechanics ? Yes because every other fighter is introducing new mechanics.

Yes, they are actually.

>This is a giant shift in how the fundamental game is played with all the changes and additions.

Still just a repackage of mechanics we're already familiar with from previous games. They didn't even at least introduce ONE new mechanic as part of the drive gauge to make things fresh.
Some of the new characters look really generic. Like, they don't match the quality of the other character designs. And yes, the beard of ryu was a mistake.

nbkicker

Cant wait till next fri, got the day off and will be a streetfighter day, although just wish they had given the yr one dlc to half female/males, as when the game comes out there will be 11 males to 7 females, after first yr with dlc it will be 14 males charachters to 8 females, seriously hope season 2 has more female charachters

I didn’t like the demo either but man did the online beta sell me: Chun was fun AF to play as zoomer bro and homeless blanket Ryu not so much.
I mean I'm totally aware I'm not even close to the target audience but I did grow up with SF and still check in every time a new one is released. SF6 is the first one where I felt entirely too old and out of touch to even grasp what the fuck it's going for aesthetically. It looks like a depressing app.

I'm just gonna say what everybody hates to hear:

Street Fighter died after Third Strike.

I'm gonna say something else people hate to hear:

Third Strike is overrated. I love the game, but people suck it off way too hard as the "greatest 2D fighter of all time". That's a highly subjective claim and I think there are other 2D fighters that do certain things better than it (RBFF Special and KOF '97 - '98 with backgrounds, for example)

About SF6 though, there is something I will agree with: tho I do like a few of the character themes (Chun's, Kimberly's for example), overall the OST is simply not my flavor. It's mostly like some modern trap/drill hip-hop and I think almost all of that sucks. Given SF6 is after SF3 timeline-wise (seems like) and SF3 took place between '97 - '00, then I take it SF6 takes place probably somewhere in the mid '00s to mid-late '00s time-wise going by Li-Fen's age.

So I would've liked at least some hip-hop more era-appropriate to the timeline. But some variety never hurt, either; 3rd Strike had hip-hop, house, jungle, DnB, and a decent number of those with clear motifs mixed in like funk, rock, blues etc. SF6's soundtrack doesn't seem to have any of that type of variety, and while there are some motifs in some of the songs, they're very light and minimalistic. I'd also say while SFV's OST wasn't the series's strongest, it has some standouts, like Zeku's and Karin's themes, that are way above any song in SF6 from what I've heard so far. Those two themes are legit classics among all-time SF themes, can't say the same for anything from SF6.

Last edited:

robor

Third Strike is overrated. I love the game, but people suck it off way too hard as the "greatest 2D fighter of all time". That's a highly subjective claim and I think there are other 2D fighters that do certain things better than it (RBFF Special and KOF '97 - '98 with backgrounds, for example)

Nah, nobody hates to hear that. It's known to a certain degree. I'm not one of those people, but I get it. Super Turbo is in equal measure of brilliance to Third Strike from my perspective. But everything post Third Strike sucks arse; the conversion to 3D is merely the beginning of Street Fighter's downfall.

kunonabi

About SF6 though, there is something I will agree with: tho I do like a few of the character themes (Chun's, Kimberly's for example), overall the OST is simply not my flavor. It's mostly like some modern trap/drill hip-hop and I think almost all of that sucks. Given SF6 is after SF3 timeline-wise (seems like) and SF3 took place between '97 - '00, then I take it SF6 takes place probably somewhere in the mid '00s to mid-late '00s time-wise going by Li-Fen's age.

So I would've liked at least some hip-hop more era-appropriate to the timeline. But some variety never hurt, either; 3rd Strike had hip-hop, house, jungle, DnB, and a decent number of those with clear motifs mixed in like funk, rock, blues etc. SF6's soundtrack doesn't seem to have any of that type of variety, and while there are some motifs in some of the songs, they're very light and minimalistic. I'd also say while SFV's OST wasn't the series's strongest, it has some standouts, like Zeku's and Karin's themes, that are way above any song in SF6 from what I've heard so far. Those two themes are legit classics among all-time SF themes, can't say the same for anything from SF6.

A man of impeccable taste I see.

Calverz

I read someone on here criticising the timed demo on PlayStation. So when it became multi platform, I tried it on steam and was left disappointed, dismayed, confused, angry and bitter.
I don’t have the energy to list the issues I had with it overall. I loved Super Turbo and I do love 3rd strike, especially the soundtrack.

During last gen I became more and more distant with sf and probably played and enjoyed tekken 7 the most with a bit of MK11.

I think it’s tekken 8 and MK1 for me going forward.

Top Bottom