• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street fighter 6 looks mid imo

Naked Lunch

The game plays fantastic - has potential to be one of the best in the series. Theres definitely alot of SF3 in there which I really appreciate.

The new coat of paint - to me - is all about trying to get a new, younger crowd into the series - but at the same time it has alot of ground level classic stuff baked in for the old heads.
Like the fact the game is set in Final Fight's, Metro City - all the way down to the whistling gang leader with shades.
And I donno - Cammy is super sexy in this game - like got dam.

Theres old and new intertwined all through this game - and the actual gameplay is top tier masterclass - im not getting the major hate GAF has for it.

Last edited:

Valt7786

It does feel and play amazing, I'm super hyped to get into it this week.
But as a late 30's "OG SF 2-era enjoyer" I gotta admit to hating a lot of the new characters designs and attitudes (Lily, Manon and JP are the only decent ones imo), the music is the worst it's ever been and that "Eternity" character from the battle hub thing is just....no thanks.

0uyKmlz.png

JP, it is.
Hopefully he's technical and interesting. Still bummed about the whole Dhalsim teleport input, but maybe there are other aspects that will give him some mechanical depth.

Hot5pur

It does feel and play amazing, I'm super hyped to get into it this week.
But as a late 30's "OG SF 2-era enjoyer" I gotta admit to hating a lot of the new characters designs and attitudes (Lily, Manon and JP are the only decent ones imo), the music is the worst it's ever been and that "Eternity" character from the battle hub thing is just....no thanks.
Eternity is pretty bad. Not because of the whole androgynous thing but they've just made it too cringe with the voice and outfit. Feels highly forced and unappealing/off-putting. I preferred the way they did Testament in Strive. Or Chris Tucker's character in fifth element - there are good ways of doing it so that it has broad appeal.

Curious to see how the game does, visually it is a mixed bag for me, but the fighting seems good. I just hope it hooks me in the way SFV did (despite the bad launch).

Kikorin

I think the series looks terrible since SF4, but I've been surprised on how bad this one looks considering it was awful yet.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I'm not fighting expert, but I noticed the slower animation. You have to cut some frames, Capcom

nbkicker

Dont think i need to check mine i99900k, 32gb ram and a 4080 easily gonna be running 4k max settings and get 60fps

Last edited:

yurinka

Eternity is pretty bad. Not because of the whole androgynous thing but they've just made it too cringe with the voice and outfit. Feels highly forced and unappealing/off-putting. I preferred the way they did Testament in Strive. Or Chris Tucker's character in fifth element - there are good ways of doing it so that it has broad appeal.

Curious to see how the game does, visually it is a mixed bag for me, but the fighting seems good. I just hope it hooks me in the way SFV did (despite the bad launch).
Street Fighter already had Poison, a beloved trans character who had a similar role as Eternity in the CWA (Capcom Wrestling Association).

If they would have replaced Eternity with Poison nobody would have complained because unlike Eternity, (non-uglyfied/androgynized) Poison doesn't look and sound as forced woke 'inclusivity'.

winjer

Gold Member
I tried the benchmark and it runs very well.
But the commentator is very, very annoying. What a terrible idea.
The character design is kinda bad. And graphics are a bit lacking.

nikos

Still the same resolution/display options in the benchmark. I've lost hope for having other resolutions available, which is absolutely ridiculous.

EDIT: The benchmark also thinks I'm on Windows 10, I'm on 11.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
10700k @ 4.9ghz
32gb ddr4 @ 4ghz CL16
RTX 3090 with core undervolted and memory overclocked to 3090 Ti speeds
latest nvidia drivers on windows 11
running at 4K max settings

v6Ohcx1z

Looks like I'm ready

Last edited:
It does feel a little less exciting to play than SFV, but I'm sure it will be ok after a few updates and revisions. I'm curious to see what direction they take it and how they expand the gameplay over the years.

nbkicker

I'd be curious if you can get locked 120 fps at 4K. What speed is your cpu running at?
Its apparently only the world tour mode thats gonna be able to run at 120fps, and wont be playing that, for the fighting ground and online play i think its locked to 60fps

Codiox

Still the same resolution/display options in the benchmark. I've lost hope for having other resolutions available, which is absolutely ridiculous.

EDIT: The benchmark also thinks I'm on Windows 10, I'm on 11.
No it's not. A fighting game has a standard of 16:9 these days. Anything else wouldn't work. It's the same reason it's only 60fps.

Leonidas

The game looks abysmal in the open world.

Would have been better if they added RT, screen space reflection artifacts are everywhere. Also sucks about the 1/4 rate animations of people in the background and the terrible pop-in, even with max settings.

At least my PC runs it easily at 120 FPS in the open world.

93xfan

Banned
Street Fighter already had Poison, a beloved trans character who had a similar role as Eternity in the CWA (Capcom Wrestling Association).

If they would have replaced Eternity with Poison nobody would have complained because unlike Eternity, (non-uglyfied/androgynized) Poison doesn't look and sound as forced woke 'inclusivity'.
Eternity is garbage. Still loving this game though.

Also, is it official that Poison is trans? Or is it what some people with agendas are saying?

Edit: she is not trans. They did call her a “he” way back in Final Fight in the US due to being worried about our reaction of violence towards a woman.

Last edited:

yurinka

Also, is it official that Poison is trans? Or is it what some people with agendas are saying?

Edit: she is not trans. They did call her a “he” way back in Final Fight in the US due to being worried about our reaction of violence towards a woman.
In her Final Fight 1 character original design drafts (appears in the Capcom Classics Collection art gallery) and Japanese instruction brooklet of the SNES version appears mentioned as 'newhalf' (trans woman, that term in Japan back then had a connotation of cross-dresser).

Many years later, its game director mentioned in an artbook -maybe jokingly- that she originally was meant to be a cis woman, but they changed it because were suggested that "hitting women was considered rude" in America and that were concerned that feminist groups would sue them.

The director said in Twitter he assumed Poison was male but that any player can view her as whatever they want, and time later he said that she is a woman. Akiman (art director and character designer who created her) said he considers her transgender in North American localizations, but cis in Japan.

In Capcom Classics Collection character profile appears as cross-dresser. Later the all mighty Yoshinori Ono in Street Fighter IV times said "Let's set the record straight: In North America, Poison is officially a post-op transsexual woman. But in Japan, she simply tucks her business away to look female."

Last edited:

nikos

No it's not. A fighting game has a standard of 16:9 these days. Anything else wouldn't work. It's the same reason it's only 60fps.

In just about every other fighting game, including SFV and SFIV, you can select your native resolution and the game will pillarbox it to 16:9.

This game goes into Borderless mode and seemingly changes its render resolution based on one of the available resolutions instead of adding black bars/borders when you change it. The only way to get native resolution, if you don't have one of the six supported resolutions, is to play in windowed mode. On top of that, there's a separate render resolution setting with arbitrary numbers (1-5) assigned to it.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
In Capcom Classics Collection character profile appears as cross-dresser. Later the all mighty Yoshinori Ono in Street Fighter IV times said "Let's set the record straight: In North America, Poison is officially a post-op transsexual woman.
Appreciate the rundown.
But in Japan, she simply tucks her business away to look female."
Didn’t know they have Target stores in Japan.

Eternity is garbage. Still loving this game though.

They "handled" this so much better with Seth in SFV

Character select menu and theme in this game is fucking garbage.
I honestly like the idea behind it all. The way the characters are a bit more present than just a portrait or breathing model. It could use some refinement though, which is what we will get over the coming years. The selection box is pretty bland and old looking though, so I feel you.

Naked Lunch

I'm not fighting expert, but I noticed the slower animation. You have to cut some frames, Capcom
I think its all intentional because this one is very reliant on counter hits - and players need at least some time to react.
The slow speed and animations are a bit jarring in comparison to the older SFs - but it only takes a day or 2 to get the flow down.
Its still feels like Street Fighter under the surface.

nbkicker

From playing the demo and betas ive loved playing the game so far, and cant wait till fri to dive in fully, im glad it reviewing well, but as usual on forums you always gonna get the hate from people who dont like fighting games, or prefer other series better etc, 40yrs of gaming and happly looking forward to playing this going forward, now the pressure is on mortal kombat and tekken to offer more out the gate

Spaceman292

Banned
To me, Street Fighter has always been about ‘street fighting’. Dark-dingy back allleys, a touch of highway, and tournament settings. SF6 tries to tie in the gritty realistic look with a bunch of characters that almost seem self aware that they are video game characters, Most of the cast isn’t cool looking, that’s what is killing people. They are too safe. With Street Fighter 2, each character was just cool looking and you wanted to master them. Aside from the old characters, most of the newer character designs are the definition of ‘not cool’. It’s obvious to me that the developer doesn’t have any grasp of ‘street fighting’. They want Smash Bros. I want ‘’Streets of Fire’ back. The issue here is that the Japanese guys back in the day were inspired by movies and wanted to capture the look and feel of action and martial arts. I do t think the new crew ‘gets it’. It’s obvious they are drawing their inspiration from Marvel, the current action movies of this time, I mean hell, there are still great action movies out there to draw from it’s that they choose not to.
Have you not been paying attention to Street Fighter for the past 30 years? They've had robots and space aliens and black people since the late 90s. All the old people in this thread who keep referencing SF2 as what SF has always been are hilarious.

Lasha

To me, Street Fighter has always been about ‘street fighting’. Dark-dingy back allleys, a touch of highway, and tournament settings. SF6 tries to tie in the gritty realistic look with a bunch of characters that almost seem self aware that they are video game characters, Most of the cast isn’t cool looking, that’s what is killing people. They are too safe. With Street Fighter 2, each character was just cool looking and you wanted to master them. Aside from the old characters, most of the newer character designs are the definition of ‘not cool’. It’s obvious to me that the developer doesn’t have any grasp of ‘street fighting’. They want Smash Bros. I want ‘’Streets of Fire’ back. The issue here is that the Japanese guys back in the day were inspired by movies and wanted to capture the look and feel of action and martial arts. I do t think the new crew ‘gets it’. It’s obvious they are drawing their inspiration from Marvel, the current action movies of this time, I mean hell, there are still great action movies out there to draw from it’s that they choose not to.

Did you miss the games between 2 and 6?

How would this be for someone who doesn’t play many fighting games? Loved Injustice 2 and played the MK games. Last SF game I played was 4 but didn’t play much of it.

Videos look great I have to say.

Spaceman292

Banned
How would this be for someone who doesn’t play many fighting games? Loved Injustice 2 and played the MK games. Last SF game I played was 4 but didn’t play much of it.

Videos look great I have to say.
They've got modern controls mode now, so you don't have to worry about the half circle motions and stuff. You can just hammer the buttons.

SSfox

The only thing i don't like much is the over the top character creation and customization, but at least unlike Soul Calibur you are not forced to play people "most of the time Aweful" characters creations

Outside the game sound like 10/10

Top Bottom