• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter pads from MadCatz

LuCkymoON

Banned
gutter_trash said:
Question to pad users:

do you play with your thumb at the edge of the pad and slide?
or
do you play with your thumb at the center of the pad and roll?
How can anyone do a QCF motion consistently using a dpad like that?. >_<

marwan

Banned
mlts1x.jpg

Street Fighter shrine?

and why is everyone getting SF4 on the 360? i couldn't be bothered with wires, so i got the PS3 version along with the controllers of course.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Do people usually use the tip of their thumb or the hard part in the center? I usually use the center of my thumb and I tend to do pretty well on almost any dpad. It may make a difference.

senahorse

marwan said:
Street Fighter shrine?

and why is everyone getting SF4 on the 360? i couldn't be bothered with wires, so i got the PS3 version along with the controllers of course.

I am getting it on 360 because the PC version won't be out till June. Also I am getting the 360 TE anyway so I really have no choice.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
LuCkymoON said:
How can anyone do a QCF motion consistently using a dpad like that?. >_<
?

It's easy on any decent pad. I don't understand how anybody could slide around the edge on most pads, as there are usually all sorts of grooves or notches on the pad to slide over.

I always keep my thumb really close to the center and roll for most motions. I'm also left-handed, so I may have more dexterity in my left thumb.

I always have wondered why the main directional input is on the left side of most controllers, for that matter.

SapientWolf said:
Do people usually use the tip of their thumb or the hard part in the center? I usually use the center of my thumb and I tend to do pretty well on almost any dpad. It may make a difference.

I've always used the centre/boney part of my thumb on a D-pad. It works perfectly with the Sega joypads but it's a fucking nightmare with the segmented PS2 D-pad - so much pain!

pCeSlAyEr

wackojackosnose said:
I've always used the centre/boney part of my thumb on a D-pad. It works perfectly with the Sega joypads but it's a fucking nightmare with the segmented PS2 D-pad - so much pain!
This!

marwan said:
Street Fighter shrine?

That was actually a setup at CES, showcasing the the MadCatz SFIV product line. The Nazi scene on the display was Photoshopped in, by someone else. (don't know why)

There are plenty of people getting SFIV for PS3, including me. The reason that everyone is discussing the 360 pads, in this thread, is because the first people to get their hands on the pads, in the wild, got them at Best Buy, and Best Buy is, apparently, only selling the 360 version.

There have been reports, however, of people already getting the TE sticks for both systems. UPS tracking shows mine should be arriving next Tuesday. :D

I really dislike this controller. I'm willing to sell mine if anyone is interested. I currently have the Ken version (for 360) and all the original packaging. I could let it go for 39 shipped, or I could exchange this one for another if you prefer it new, although I've only used it for about 10 minutes. If I do exchange it, I can't guarantee which character is going to be on the pad.

vg260

Spent some more time with this pad, and my verdict is it's mediocre at best. I'd say it's in the same class as the ASCII and Nuby pads. It's pretty much the only pad option for the 360, so it'll have to do if you're a pad fan. The d-pad is just too big and needs way too much travel for ducking to jumping or charging. I've played with enough pads that I don't need a lot of adjustment period and don't think it should take long to adjust to a d-pad in general, and this one has yet to feel good and I'm missing too many jumps and movements.

Oddly, I've been played some Darkstalkers and Alpha 3 on my PSP-2000, and the d-pad on it feels so much better to me. Actually it feels really good, even more so than my DS3 or DS2 pads. I was barely missing any moves unlike this controller. Weird.

So, pretty disappointed overall. Hopefully another company will give us a better option. Sega would be crazy not to put out some Saturn 360 pads.

M_A_C

Picked up a Chun Li Pad today at BestBuy (They had all 4 to choose from). I'm kinda worried to open it after all the negative comments, but there seems to be just as many positive ones also. I have a TE preordered, but I want to give this a shot anyway.

mollipen

Kintaro said:
he Fightpad is no bigger than the 360 controller and is much lighter. In stock photo, it looked really big. Do you find the FightPad huge or something? It's really not.

Short answers, yes. The problem isn't the size itself, but also the design, making the controller feel, to me, far too big and bulky, to a degree that I almost find it uncomfortable to use for a long amount of time.

I think it may also be a case of what angle you're coming at the controller from. Is it about the same size as a 360 controller? Sure, maybe. But I care more about this as a "Saturn Pad 2" if you will, and in that regard, it's much bigger than the Saturn pad. What I want from a general controller and a 2D / Fighting Game controller are quite different.

Mamesj

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:
That was actually a setup at CES, showcasing the the MadCatz SFIV product line. The Nazi scene on the display was Photoshopped in, by someone else. (don't know why)

I was wondering why the hell someone would choose a scene with nazi flags of all things to show off their set up.

gkryhewy

marwan said:
Street Fighter shrine?

You may not be aware, but more people own 360s than own PS3s. Well-kept industry secret.

marwan said:

PS3 has more options
PS2 Saturn + Pelican Adapter
USB Saturn
more Sticks
DS3 is more decent thant standard MS pad

360ers have less options to choice from, the SF4 pad is supposed to be a solution to MS's D-Pad

Mamesj

Banned
wow, so we suffer through 3 years of shitty d-pads and suddenly we get picky? :lol

jk, I can appreciate people's preferences. But after a half hour in SSF2HDR, I already feel like the 360 d-pad's reign of terror is over. I agree the controller feels a little cheap and you do have to press in a bit harder on the pad than I would have liked, but once you get used to its style, it's fine.

also, I can punish dragon punches and do combos again. yay!

LordK

Mamesj said:
wow, so we suffer through 3 years of shitty d-pads and suddenly we get picky? :lol

jk, I can appreciate people's preferences. But after a half hour in SSF2HDR, I already feel like the 360 d-pad's reign of terror is over. I agree the controller feels a little cheap and you do have to press in a bit harder on the pad than I would have liked, but once you get used to its style, it's fine.

also, I can punish dragon punches and do combos again. yay!

Haha, yeah... something I forgot to say. It doesn't only feel a little cheap, it feels extremely cheap. But hey, it works for me (until the cheapness breaks the controller down).

Mamesj

Banned
I guess I was using "cheap" as a synonym for light. It's light. Not quite original six-axis light, but it's lighter than the 360 controller. This is mad catz though...I'm sure the team was great, but the company probably wanted to buy cheap parts for the pads.

Just played some ikargua...this was a game I couldn't play past the second stage before, since you need pixel-perfect control over your ship in the second stage. Plays fine now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mamesj said:
I guess I was using "cheap" as a synonym for light. It's light. Not quite original six-axis light, but it's lighter than the 360 controller. This is mad catz though...I'm sure the team was great, but the company probably wanted to buy cheap parts for the pads.

Just played some ikargua...this was a game I couldn't play past the second stage before, since you need pixel-perfect control over your ship in the second stage. Plays fine now.

The feeling of cheapness isn't just about it being light though. I think its a combo of the lightness (no battery and no rumble) combined with the cheapness of the buttons (both look and feel). There's also the price factor. Its the same price as the wireless stock 360 pad and more expensive than the wired version.

That being said the pad has been working great so far. We'll see how it holds up when SFIV comes out.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
shidoshi said:
Short answers, yes. The problem isn't the size itself, but also the design, making the controller feel, to me, far too big and bulky, to a degree that I almost find it uncomfortable to use for a long amount of time.
Huh, and here all this time I thought you were kidding about being a Japanese schoolgirl.

CO_Andy

Has anybody tried playing grappling characters like Zangief on this controller? I'd be nice for once to play the lug correctly on a pad.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
CO_Andy said:
Has anybody tried playing grappling characters like Zangief on this controller? I'd be nice for once to play the lug correctly on a pad.
That's another thing that makes me sad about the Xbox 360 controller. 360 motions are cake with the analog stick, so in theory you can get some of the benefits of a joystick on the analog stick while still having the option of a dpad.

I did the dpad mod on the 360 controller and now I'm accidentally jumping when moving the dpad from left to right. So I just traded one problem for another.

TxdoHawk

So I call up a Best Buy with the SKU #, they tell me they have three pads in stock. "Can I have one held?" I ask, and sure enough they are more than happy to oblige...or so I thought. I drive over there and find out that "we couldn't find them, sorry about that!"

In conclusion: More like Worst Buy, except without the Buy, so just Worst.

bathala

Banned
TxdoHawk said:
So I call up a Best Buy with the SKU #, they tell me they have three pads in stock. "Can I have one held?" I ask, and sure enough they are more than happy to oblige...or so I thought. I drive over there and find out that "we couldn't find them, sorry about that!"

In conclusion: More like Worst Buy, except without the Buy, so just Worst.
I actually had the opposite experience.
Called them and they have 1 in-stock. I asked them if they can hold it for me. They said yes. An 1hr later, I got to BB, and went to Customer Service and told them I called. They asked for my name. They gave me the controller with a paper on it with my name.

I wanted a Ken, but they only have Blanka. not bad looking.

Impressions:
I downloaded the SFIIHD Trial. At first I was worried that the controller is wide and I have small hands. After playing, pulling some jump kick connecting to Hurricane Kick with no problem or jump kick with Dragon Punch (then again I can pull some Dragon Punch on 360 analog :p) I'm a Guile Player so I hope I can pull off the charge moves
I did have problem with diagonal jump backwards.

marwan said:
Street Fighter shrine?

i think it has most do do with the vast pool of online competition more than anything else. just as 360 has become the choice of madden gamers, sf4 makes sense as well. its just a larger audience man.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MobiusPigeon said:
i think it has most do do with the vast pool of online competition more than anything else. just as 360 has become the choice of madden gamers, sf4 makes sense as well. its just a larger audience man.

And the fact that Live is better than PSN.

gokieks

My original intention was to get an Akuma PS3 pad, but since Best Buy only had X360 versions, I ended up getting a Ryu pad, despite not having a X360 to use right now. On PC (one of the reasons I wanted to get one despite also pre-ordering 2 TE sticks was to have a gamepad to use on PC that had a decent D-Pad), I've tested it with Melty Blood, both ReACT and Act Cadenza versions.

Other pads I have for comparison were the Nubytech SF15 PS2 pads and the Saturn pad. Compared to them, I'd say the SFIV pad is clearly superior to the Nubytech ones, and probably just barely below the Saturn pad. On the downside, I find the D-Pad is to be not quite as precise as the Saturn pad's, and the shoulder buttons are much too rigid and doesn't have enough travel in its clicks; on the other hand, I much preferred the SFIV pad's face buttons, with both rows being the same size. The size of the SFIV pad is a bit on the large side, but not obscenely so, and I've always though the Saturn pad was just a bit too small anyway.

The only other issue I have with the SFIV pad is that I wish the 5th and 6th face buttons were LB and RB instead of RB and RT - RT is treated as an axis instead of a button, which means it's useless in many cases with the official X360 controller software. Yes, I know you can get around that with 3rd party drivers like XBCD, but I had to get rid of that because it caused problems with AudioSurf. It's not a deal breaker, but is one of the little things that prevents it from being nigh-perfect.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
marwan said:
Street Fighter shrine?

I'm definitely not one of those people. I like the wireless d-pads. :D PSN being free makes it the version to get.

marwan said:
and why is everyone getting SF4 on the 360?

Because Beyond3D says that the PS3 version has no AA and drops in resolution during closeups.

just kidding, I only get the version that has the most friends online, small graphical differences don't mean too much to me.

Plenty of people are getting it on PS3. If you look at fighting game sites like SRK, lots of people are building their sticks for PS3 because the EVO tournaments are going to use PS3 and PS2 for most of their games. And maybe because it's easier to get a PS3 PCB. Either way, you won't be lacking competition on either platform.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
akachan ningen said:
Plenty of people are getting it on PS3. If you look at fighting game sites like SRK, lots of people are building their sticks for PS3 because the EVO tournaments are going to use PS3 and PS2 for most of their games. And maybe because it's easier to get a PS3 PCB. Either way, you won't be lacking competition on either platform.

Cool. I'll run by best buy tomorrow to see if they have the ps3 d-pads.

marwan said:

1. Xbox Live > PSN
2. More people have Xbox 360 than PS3, therefore most of us have more friends online with 360 than PS3

akachan ningen said:

PS2? But aren't the sticks not going to be compatible with that?

i couldnt even see em being used at evo being accurate. capcom has showcased the 360 version at just about every damn event they have thats street fighter related.

MobiusPigeon said:
i couldnt even see em being used at evo being accurate. capcom has showcased the 360 version at just about every damn event they have thats street fighter related.

too bad capcom isn't running EVO...

it's right on their website. http://evo2k.com/

SF4, SC4, and STHDR are being played on PS3. people with 360 sticks won't be able to use their own. Who knows what kind of sticks, if any, EVO will provide. I don't think they have in the past.

CO_Andy said:
I'm a Gief player and I had a relatively hard time with the controller. It could be the fact that it feels too big. It wasn't 360 d-pad bad, but it just felt off. It was hard pulling off some of the motions in Remix mode for the Gief. I went back and played HDR on the PS3 with the Saturn pad just to make sure I wasn't tripping out and I pulled off my motions (on classic btw) to near perfection.

Granted I'm a stick player mostly, I just didn't feel really satisfied with the FightPad in comparison to other controllers I've played fighting games with (i.e. Saturn Pad, Dual Shock, SNES controller, etc.) From my short time with it so far, I'd say it's midrange at best.

EDIT: Okay, I think I have it down a lot better now with this pad, but it really involves my entire thumb to shift versus small minute movements in order to activate the motions I want.

LordK

Hm, now I'm having trouble doing dragon punches with Ryu in ssf2thd with the fightpad. This is crazy. I can consistently do them with Ken, Sagat (tiger knee and tiger uppercut), and Cammy (thrust kick). When I do the same motion for Ryu, he'll sometimes do a dragon punch and other times do a hadoken. It's late and I'm probably going crazy.

MobiusPigeon said:
akachan ningen already explained about EVO, but regarding Capcom...

http://kotaku.com/5135827/playstation-dominates-street-fighter-club-round-3

Kotaku said:
The third installment of the Fight Club-themed Street Fighter community events went down in a semi-seedy building next to the James Lick freeway in downtown San Francisco last Friday.

Stations were set up for games journos, community members and industry insiders to go head to head in Street Fighter IV. The layout included six arcade machines and 26 PlayStation 3s.

"We've been working really closely with Sony on [community events]," said Capcom PR rep Melody Pfeiffer. "So that's why there are no 360s here."
Capcom have shown love to both consoles, thus far.

Sanjuro

Kadey said:
And the fact that Live is better than PSN.
This. While both playable anyone who had both versions of SSF2HDR were going between shitty controllers on 360 and more choppy online performance on PS3.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
This. While both playable anyone who had both versions of SSF2HDR were going between shitty controllers on 360 and more choppy online performance on PS3.

I never had choppy online on SF2HD, but I did have lack of competition. No one played Classic and even finding a game in Remix became hard. I hope it doesn't repeat in SF4. I would get the 360 version if they let me use my VSHG on my 360, sadly I can't.

marwan said:

I'd rather have the game on PS3, personally, so I could have a wireless fightpad and get the Blu Ray movie...but in my little group of friends who all play 2D fighters not everyone has a PS3. Everyone does have a 360. So that's what we're all buying it on.

r4z4

DigitalA1chemy said:
I'd rather have the game on PS3, personally, so I could have a wireless fightpad and get the Blu Ray movie...but in my little group of friends who all play 2D fighters not everyone has a PS3. Everyone does have a 360. So that's what we're all buying it on.

I hate having to make choices like this. One console future ftw.

Top Bottom