• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter pads from MadCatz

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
When is the official release date for these? Best Buy is saying they are holding them until SF4, Gamestop is saying you have to preorder SF4 to get them. Will WalMart, Target etc etc be getting them in and when is the actual street date?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
The pads are not even listed on bestbuy.com how are yall getting them?

I got 5 bucks in rewards zone certificates so I'd like to get them there

Well, it appears around here that all the moron Best Buys and Gamestops are treating the pads like they are street-dated with the game. I checked out two BBs and a couple GSs and they all said they couldn't put them out until the game came out.

Ah well. All the complaints are kinda off-putting but I guess it's something you won't know until you try, and I desperately need a 6B pad for the 360.

r4z4

Is it possible that the pad will play a lot better with SF4? Most of the complaints are with the d-pad and diagonals in particular. Not heard a bad word about the buttons.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
PhatSaqs said:
Just got my PS3 pad.

vphkpc.jpg

Wants!!! Well actually I want the Ryu one.

Alivor

I went to Best Buy last night. For the 360, they had one of each. I was gonna grab one, but I'm not even sure how much I'll be playing SF4. Downingtown, PA for those that care.

HiResDes

henhowc said:
The feeling of cheapness isn't just about it being light though. I think its a combo of the lightness (no battery and no rumble) combined with the cheapness of the buttons (both look and feel). There's also the price factor. Its the same price as the wireless stock 360 pad and more expensive than the wired version.

That being said the pad has been working great so far. We'll see how it holds up when SFIV comes out.
No rumble? I know it sounds childish but I'm really put off now...I was already pissed that the wired 360 controller was priced the same as the 1st party wireless controller and the wireless mad catz. Weak!

no fucking rumble? seriously? wtf is this 2006? well, whatever.

the cheap feeling that folks are describing is what i'm really being put off by.

so far it sounds like these pads are just another crappy madcatz product that will break in 3 months.

damn you capcom! why didn't you go with hori?!

RedAssedApe

Banned
HiResDes said:
No rumble? I know it sounds childish but I'm really put off now...I was already pissed that the wired 360 controller was priced the same as the 1st party wireless controller and the wireless mad catz. Weak!

Personally I don't like having rumble on in fighting games. That being said...these gamepads definitely aren't the best bang for your buck...but then again I think all console accessories/peripherals are over-priced.

I believe someone over at CAG who works at BB noted that there's something like a $15 mark-up on these compared to what he can get through employee pricing. :\

WickedLaharl said:

the cheap feeling that folks are describing is what i'm really being put off by.

so far it sounds like these pads are just another crappy madcatz product that will break in 3 months.

damn you capcom!

They arent.

Who wants rumble in a fight pad?

Its distracting.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Damn all of this is making me skeptical. I think I'll wait till I can feel one out myself.

Or wait till walmart has them since their return policy is pretty cool, or best buy I've returned lots of stuff there before.

No way I'm buying this shit from gamestop

WickedLaharl said:

damn you capcom! why didn't you go with hori?!

There is no such thing as rumble in arcades

YuriLowell said:
They arent.

Who wants rumble in a fight pad?

Its distracting.

uh i want to use the rumble for other games. other then saving money on manufacturing fees there is no reason why rumble shouldn't be included.

and for a $40 pad that only works with select games this is some bullshit.

gutter_trash said:
There is no such thing as rumble in arcades

i don't care.

ShinAmano

ChrisGoldstein said:
Damn all of this is making me skeptical. I think I'll wait till I can feel one out myself.

Or wait till walmart has them since their return policy is pretty cool, or best buy I've returned lots of stuff there before.

No way I'm buying this shit from gamestop
I played over 100 matches on HD Remix and a few games of Third Strike on the 360 pad and it was great...easily the second best pad I have ever played on...second only to the godly Saturn pad.

WickedLaharl said:
uh i want to use the rumble for other games. other then saving money on manufacturing fees there is no reason why rumble shouldn't be included.

Then wait for a price drop its bound to happen.
Or wait for them to get rare, and sky rocket in price.

ShinAmano

WickedLaharl said:

i don't care.
Rumble would make the pads fat and uncomfortable.

Mamesj

Banned
I heard this insane rumor that there's no rumble in the Tournament Edition sticks either. If this is true, Mad Catz just shot themselves in the foot.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Mamesj said:
I heard this insane rumor that there's no rumble in the Tournament Edition sticks either. If this is true, Mad Catz just shot themselves in the foot.

:lol :lol

--ok fair enough I'll get the chun li one. I'm not a chun li player but it looks the best imo

Anything is better than the 360 dpad and I cant play on psn

i don't give a shit about arcade sticks so your point is???

i thought i'd give madcatz the benefit of the doubt because of MarkMans involvement but i refuse to be fooled again after this!

YuriLowell said:
muppet post

this hasn't been funny in any instance for about 6 months now

Mad Catz just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Fight Pads (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Dual Shock Land where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Fight Pad-Land, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the republic of Fight Pads, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Fight Pads for either system, nor will they purchase any of Mad Catz Peropherals. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Mad Catz has alienated an entire market with this move.

Mad Catz, publicly apologize and cancel All of Your Fight Pads or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Someone is really cranky.

Its called a Fight Pad, maybe it would be good for I dunno, "Fighting Games"

No one wants to have the controller shake while playing a fighting game.

If it was called the Mad Catz "Controller for people who want good dpads but want rumble and there is no rumble".

Then you could complain about the lack of rumble. Seeing how it is not called that, in the words of great ahnuld, STOP WHINING!

Shadowlink123 said:
I went to best buy yesterday and they sold out. Now I have to wait until March to get my Blanka pad from Amazon :(
if you can see yourself spending more, you can get one from play-asia.com

Ronabo

I love my Blanka pad. I've learned how to use it, as it took a couple hours to get used to. It's like having a mini arcade stick in my hands.

Mamesj said:
I just found out my HRAP3 doesn't support it either... FUCK!!!

=p

I love my Blanka pad. I've learned how to use it, as it took a couple hours to get used to. It's like having a mini arcade stick in my hands.
Yeah, I spent more time with my Chunners pad last night and it's a lot better now. There's definitely a learning curve to it, but if you can get your thumb to move the way it should with this pad, it's actually pretty good. I'm able to play Gief again at a decent level, but still far from when I'm on a stick.

Askia47

WickedLaharl said:
i don't give a shit about arcade sticks so your point is???

i thought i'd give madcatz the benefit of the doubt because of MarkMans involvement but i refuse to be fooled again after this!

this hasn't been funny in any instance for about 6 months now

Fight pad should be fine, the d-pad is supposed to be good and buttons are placed well. No rumble isnt anything to decry to much, its a minor issue. Just get it, you know you want to. :D

Ronabo said:

do you use ball of thumb placed in the center of the D-Pad rolling technique?
or
do you use outer edge of D-Pad sliding technique?

YuriLowell said:
Someone is really cranky.

Its called a Fight Pad, maybe it would be good for I dunno, "Fighting Games"

No one wants to have the controller shake while playing a fighting game.

If it was called the Mad Catz "Controller for people who want good dpads but want rumble and there is no rumble".

Then you could complain about the lack of rumble. Seeing how it is not called that, in the words of great ahnuld, STOP WHINING!

speak for yourself. i complained about the lack of rumble in SCIV which is why i'm complaining about this.

for $40 motherfucking dollars they should have slapped some rumble in that bitch.

now how about more pressing matters like the cheapy feeling. i don't want to buy yet another madcatz pad that has crappy feeling buttons.

Askia47 said:
Fight pad should be fine, the d-pad is supposed to be good and buttons are placed well. No rumble isnt anything to decry to much, its a minor issue. Just get it, you know you want to. :D

eh i'll probably still get it since i'm buying the 360 version of sfiv and have little choice since i want to use a pad >_>

Ronabo

gutter_trash said:
do you use ball of thumb placed in the center of the D-Pad rolling technique?
or
do you use outer edge of D-Pad sliding technique?

A little bit of both. I sort of place my thumb so it covers the down-left to the up-right of the pad. I switch around depending if I'm using a charge character or not.

I think the d-pads just need to be broken in some. At first the diagonals were imprecise, now they work almost flawlessly.

Rumble does not belong in fighting games.

Also have you even used the pad before you called it cheap, or are you using some trolls words.

Many people are rating this thing second only to the saturn pad.

It's one thing for MarkMan to defend these since Madcatz is cutting him a paycheck (
edit: I haven't actually seen him do this, I'm just sayin' I'd understand it
), but I can't figure out why the rest of you are falling all over yourselves to defend this product. It's a wired controller with a single d-pad (that's getting extremely mixed reviews), no rumble, and covered in tacky character art. It doesn't seem especially ludicrous to suggest $40 might be a little expensive considering what it does.

ConsumerSquare said:
It's one thing for MarkMan to defend these since Madcatz is cutting him a paycheck (
edit: I haven't actually seen him do this, I'm just sayin' I'd understand it
), but I can't figure out why the rest of you are falling all over yourselves to defend this product. It's a wired controller with a single d-pad (that's getting extremely mixed reviews), no rumble, and covered in tacky character art. It doesn't seem especially ludicrous to suggest $40 might be a little expensive considering what it does.

when I burnt my rumble ports by accident on my PS2 because of the Unniversal Pelican stick fried them...
I never noticed that I lost rumble until my friend complained about it.
Because I barely ever payed attention to Rumble throughout my video-gaming life

now, to fighters... I have never ever ever played fighters with Rumble.

Genesis 6-Buttons pad, Saturn (Sega Saturn) (PS2 Saturn) (USB Saturn) ect ect ect

now, in 1991 when I plunked a quarter in Street Fighter II at the arcades...... no rumble!!!

there i no RUMBLE in fighting games!!! get over it! Save your batteries

Rotanibor

Can anyone tell me what the SKU for the 360 pad is? I want to go check best buy again today, but I don't want to go in without the SKU this time.

gutter_trash said:
when I burnt my rumble ports by accident on my PS2 because of the Unniversal Pelican stick fried them...
I never noticed that I lost rumble until my friend complained about it.
Because I barely ever payed attention to Rumble throughout my video-gaming life

now, to fighters... I have never ever ever played fighters with Rumble.

Genesis 6-Buttons pad, Saturn (Sega Saturn) (PS2 Saturn) (USB Saturn) ect ect ect

now, in 1991 when I plunked a quarter in Street Fighter II at the arcades...... no rumble!!!

there i no RUMBLE in fighting games!!! get over it! Save your batteries
Arcades don't have control pads, either. OMGZ someone alert Madcatz!

The point here is not whether you use rumble in your games. It's about the price tag in relation to the value of the product in the box. If someone wants a controller for their XBLA collection, they're perfectly entitled to see this thing as a rip-off.

And for what it's worth, I don't use rumble either. But I am in the market for a good pad, and this FightPad ain't it. Not at $40.

ajfoucault

Just amazing!
Let's hope some specific features that will allow us to enjoy SF IV in exclusive ways than those who do not own the pad.

vg260

YuriLowell said:
Rumble does not belong in fighting games.

Well, Capcom did include rumble support in SFIV, so Capcom thinks rumble belongs. :) Some people enjoy the added immersion, and I think it's a legit complaint. Who's to say it doesn't belong? The option should at least be there. I too am disappointed about it. I'm sure MadCatz would have no issues with you wanting to use it for other games.

Alright, I played around with the diagonals on the windows game controller utility and found the following:

There is some real inconsistency in a partial press. If you press the d-pad all the way down, it will register a diagonal, after registering one of the adjacent axes. The key being, you have to press it ALL THE WAY down for it to consistently register, and 90% of the time, when it actually registers a proper diagonal, it registers an axis press first, and the only way I could get completely accurate readouts was to maintain constant pressure on the d-pad the entire time, which is not how I play, but it might be how you play (that is, pressing the d-pad down with consistent pressure and only sliding your thumb over the surface).

I tried 20 "taps" on each diagonal, and these were the number of times for each direction that it registered properly, according to windows (that is, display the proper diagonal on the POV hat without displaying an axis press)

Lower left: 3 out of 20 times
Upper Left: 10 out of 20 times
Upper Right: 2 out of 20 times
Lower Right: 5 out of 20 times

I could see someone getting decent results if they're used to never pulling their thumb off of the d-pad ever, as maintaining constant pressure without ever letting up resulted in consistency. In addition, if people press their d-pads much, much harder than I do, they could presumably press all the way down each time. However, for those of us who are used to tapping and releasing, the numbers show that this will not register proper results, unless mine are defective.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
When we originally spec'd the controllers (FightPads) SF4 was not going to implement rumble.

So yea... food for thought.

PhatSaqs

Banned
A Twisty Fluken said:
Alright, I played around with the diagonals on the windows game controller utility and found the following:

There is some real inconsistency in a partial press. If you press the d-pad all the way down, it will register a diagonal, after registering one of the adjacent axes. The key being, you have to press it ALL THE WAY down for it to consistently register, and 90% of the time, when it actually registers a proper diagonal, it registers an axis press first, and the only way I could get completely accurate readouts was to maintain constant pressure on the d-pad the entire time, which is not how I play, but it might be how you play (that is, pressing the d-pad down with consistent pressure and only sliding your thumb over the surface).

I tried 20 "taps" on each diagonal, and these were the number of times for each direction that it registered properly, according to windows (that is, display the proper diagonal on the POV hat without displaying an axis press)

Lower left: 3 out of 20 times
Upper Left: 10 out of 20 times
Upper Right: 2 out of 20 times
Lower Right: 5 out of 20 times

I could see someone getting decent results if they're used to never pulling their thumb off of the d-pad ever, as maintaining constant pressure without ever letting up resulted in consistency. In addition, if people press their d-pads much, much harder than I do, they could presumably press all the way down each time. However, for those of us who are used to tapping and releasing, the numbers show that this will not register proper results, unless mine are defective.
Yeah. You pretty much have to train yourself into pressing the pad harder than normal all the time in order to get good results with the Dpad.

Top Bottom