• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter pads from MadCatz

henhowc said:
Where'd you pick yours up from? Why not just return it instead of selling at a loss? :)
I'd like to, but I got it from bn.com, which in turned shipped it from gs.com. I'm just not sure I can return it.

Tobor

What are the odds of a Street Fighter-less version coming out in the future? I want this for XBLA and the genesis collection, but the artwork is...not my style.

Alivor

Just picked mine up. It was the last one. I was kind of worried because they only had 4 on Sunday. Now I need SFIV.....GAH!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
After much use, I'd have to agree with someone earlier who mentioned diagonals on the right side are much harder to do and requires a more stiff directional input, and in otherwise it's flawless on the left side. And I know it's not me since I can do both sides equally fast on three other controllers. Perhaps the spacing needs to be bigger or whatever. And the guide button is still giving out a nice herbal smell.

Tobor said:
What are the odds of a Street Fighter-less version coming out in the future? I want this for XBLA and the genesis collection, but the artwork is...not my style.
Since it's just the front that has artwork, you could easily take it apart and spray paint it black.

Xevren

Kadey said:
After much use, I'd have to agree with someone earlier who mentioned diagonals on the right side are much harder to do and requires a more stiff directional input, and in otherwise it's flawless on the left side. And I know it's not me since I can do both sides equally fast on three other controllers. Perhaps the spacing needs to be bigger or whatever. And the guide button is still giving out a nice herbal smell.

I'm more disturbed about this herbal smell you keep having then anything else. :p

Jebus

Kadey said:
Sniff it!!! I can't be the only one.

First thing I'm going to do when mine arrives is sniff it. If it smells like herbal love than it's a worthwhile purchase. Speaking of 'when mine arrives' did anyone else order from Play-Asia? Their ship dates are still unknown. Actually they haven't even marked them as in stock yet.

where are yall getting yours from?

i've had mine pre-ordered from amazon for like 2 months, but the order says it's shipping at like the end of the month!

so today i went to virgin megastore and eb games and neither had it. halp.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:

I sprayed yours with a little tender love and care, thats why it smells so good... ^_^

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MarkMan said:
I sprayed yours with a little tender love and care, thats why it smells so good... ^_^

I'm a bit afraid to ask what that "tender love and care" really is...

Jebus

For others that have ordered through Play-Asia, they have changed their controller release dates to March. Terrible terrible news. :(

Garcian

I ordered my pad direct with Mad Catz UK - was hoping they might be shipping by now, but haven't heard a bean from them.

I didn't think I'd have a stick in time for SFIV release, but was hopeful about a pad.

Mamesj said:
after a ton of use, the pad is nice and loosened up. :)

Pretty awesome for the new Genesis compilation!

I'm having trouble controlling Columns with my 360 d-pad. :/ I wish I had picked up Genesis collection for the PS3 as that is the system I'm getting my fightpad for.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Alright, picked mine up today. 360 Blanka controller.

Context: I grew up with the Genesis 6-button pad (G6B) for Street Fighter II. I have no other third-party or Saturn d-pads as reference, just the Genesis 6-button, Wii Classic Controller, DS Lite, Dual-Shock, and 360 default. I played SFII a lot as a kid, but never really got good at it. I'm basically intermediate between casual and hardcore level play. I was dissatisfied with using a Hori EX2 to play SSFIITHDR, presumably because I've been use to a pad this whole time. I actually played with the 360 analog stick instead. So, if you're a stick user, feel free to ignore my impressions. Since somebody asked, I play by moving my thumb around the entire pad rather than rocking around the middle.

Build quality: The d-pad is basically a rocker type like the Genesis 6-button, but raised. It's mostly flat, not as textured as a G6B. It feels like you are actually moving some kind of object around rather, the heft took a little getting used to. It's also fairly large for a d-pad, lots of real-estate to move around on. The buttons lack some texture, so they feel perhaps a bit too smooth. They're fairly easy to mash, though, easier than default 360 and more satisfying than a dual-shock. Very easy to spam a jab on. The turbo is a nice feature, there's actually two turbo speeds you can pick and you can get turbo on any button individually. I had no idea it was actually possible for jabs to be executed that fast. You also have a toggle in the back so you can use the d-pad in place of an analog stick. The shoulder buttons are a tad rubbish, they don't press down very far and they're too stiff. Some people have complained about the fact that it's light, but I'm not sure I get the complaint. It's actually heavier than a G6B. The back, start, and guide buttons are probably too small, but that's a very minor complaint.

Play quality: For me, it's clearly better than using the Hori arcade stick, the 360 d-pad, or the 360 analog stick. It's a mixed bag when compared to a G6B. I think my fireball rate drops down some, say from 98% to 95%, but I feel like my dragon punch rate increased significantly, from say around 60% to 75%. (Like I said, I'm not great). I think the increase in size of the d-pad is the reason. It's easier for me to get the corners when doing a dragon punch but that also means I have to be a bit more accurate with fireballs.

Overall, I think it's a fine pad and I'm glad I got it. Not the greatest pad in the world but it does it's job well enough and my game has slightly improved. If I was some kind of reviewer, I'd give it a B.

LowParry

So today I picked up the Chun Li pad for 360.

I'll give a short impression of the overall quality. Everything works great. Buttons are responsive. Turbo works. Start. Select. X button. Lights. Everything works great.

First impression of holding the controller is light. Same feeling I had when I first picked up a DS3. Light. Testing STHD, charge characters on a pad are not my strong point. Fireballs, uppercuts, supers. All done easily within the first try. All corners work on the pad. Very excellent pad. Awesome purchase. Kudos to Mad Catz.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Mamesj said:
after a ton of use, the pad is nice and loosened up. :)

Pretty awesome for the new Genesis compilation!

Yeah it has made the genesis collection a hundred times better

--and yeah best buy has 'em

--the dpad is growing on me more and more.

I was actually holding the controller and doing the motions on the pad while I was watching 30 rock last night...lol

I just picked this up and tried it out a bit on HDR. From some of the impression I was concerned that it was only going to be a incremental improvement over the 360 dpad but it is actually really good. I'm very happy with the pad which is a major relief for me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A Twisty Fluken said:
I could see someone getting decent results if they're used to never pulling their thumb off of the d-pad ever, as maintaining constant pressure without ever letting up resulted in consistency. In addition, if people press their d-pads much, much harder than I do, they could presumably press all the way down each time. However, for those of us who are used to tapping and releasing, the numbers show that this will not register proper results, unless mine are defective.
This is probably why I think this pad (360 Blanka) is a piece of shit. I'm squarely in the tap and release camp.
I love the face buttons. I like the feel of the controller in my hands. Unfortunately, I bought it mostly for the D-pad. Sure, it's leagues better than the stock 360 D-pad, but it's not even as accurate in HD Remix as the D-pad on the Rock Band 2 drum controller, FFS.
I have four Japanese-style Saturn controllers, (Three of them were $1. Thanks, Funcoland Saturn clearance.) and I use them with adapters on everything but 360, so that's where I'm coming from.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My GS got their PS3 pad a couple days ago. Picked it up today. Even though they weren;t taking pre-orders the manager held me the only PS3 one. I give them so much business so they tread me well. I tried it earlier tonight and it works flawlessly. Worth the price.

I went down the hill to see if any store got SFIV early but unfortunately, no one had it. However, I didn't return empty handed. A few stores had the SFIV Fightpad. Bestbuy only had the 360 versions (Ryu, Ken and Blanka). I ended up picking up Ryu.

I saw a Blanka PS3 at a GameStop in a mall.

And when I picked up my 360 Fightstick SE, I got a PS3 Blanka one.

I used the SFIV Fightpad on my 360. I'd score the Fightpad a 4/5

It's a great pad and a huge improvement over the standard 360 controller when it comes to playing fighting games. However, I did find a few issues.

1) The pad is a bit large when compared to the Saturn controller (I have one for the PC, PS2 and Saturn). It just doesn't seem as ergonomic and comfortable to hold.

2) I don't like the layout of the buttons (I would've liked LB, RB on the face instead of RB, RT...something that mirrors the face of the Saturn pad). But it's not a show stopper.

3) The buttons feel a little cheap. The shoulder buttons felt a bit stiff.

Having said that...the pad only falls short in comparison to the godly Sega Saturn controller. In my opinion, there is no better pad for playing 2D games or fighters.

I like what MadCatz has made and hopefully, they improve on the design and release one without artwork in the next round of console releases. I prefer it over the Nuki SF controllers from a few years back.

I haven't encountered the issues some of you are reporting, but I'll play HD Remix with the pad over the next few days and give feedback if the issues rear their head.

I'm probably going to return the PS3 one after what I've read about it. Also, I have three USB Saturn controllers and a PS2 so there is no real need except for collectible purposes.

For those looking for a good pad to play fighters on 360, the Fightpad is your best and only real option.

On PS3, I'd recommend the Saturn controller. But if you want wireless and cool artwork, perhaps the Fightpad is also for you too.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MarkMan said:

That's it. I'm throwing it on ebay.

29zko8.jpg

Rotanibor

I noticed a lot of people asking how it held up with Pac-man C.E. here a while back, so I'd thought I'd answer that. I spent a bit of time with it and it definately took some getting used too. At first I found it entirely too imprecise, but it got better over time. I think the problem is that the d-pad is just too big for something where you may need split second reacting turning corners. For Street Fighter I don't have that problem, but when I get up to something slightly more twitchy its not as good. After I got used to it I found it to be slightly better than the analog stick on the normal 360 pad, for Pac-Man C.E. To be clear though, every other game I have tried it for, it has responded wonderfully, without much complaint.

I just picked up a Ken fightpad from gamestop. Played a bunch of the sonic genesis collection with it, worked great. Tried a bit of SSF2THD and found it better than my hori vf5 stick. Was consistently able to pull of dragon punches, supers, etc. I will say the saturn pad is still ever so slightly superior, but this is as good as it's going to get on the 360 I think.

Can't wait to try it out next week with SFIV! It is a tad pricey, but as long as it holds up over time I will purchase more Mad Catz accessories in the future.

As for availability, they had only this one extra left over from pre-orders and the manager said as far as he knows they will not be getting any more in.

Edit: I had my friend smell it up close and he said it smelled like paint.

Syckx

Really love this pad. Picked up a Ryu on a little over a week ago and have been having a blast with it since the second day. The first day I had it, I really didn't care for it much but I have really developed a liking for it and is easily the best controller I have used for fighting games. The d-pad is really something. I have been able to pull off dragon punches and fireballs with really solid accuracy. I also have a TE stick, and am a little less in love with that. I may just not be a stick person.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This topic is really long so I apologize for not looking deeper, but someone please answer this question for me:

I am looking for the best 6 face button controller similar to the Saturn pad to use for my 360 for SFIV, what should I get?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
AlteredBeast said:
This topic is really long so I apologize for not looking deeper, but someone please answer this question for me:

I am looking for the best 6 face button controller similar to the Saturn pad to use for my 360 for SFIV, what should I get?
SFIV pad is your only choice I think.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
USB pads don't work on the 360? :(

I really want the Saturn USB pad that one can find on ebay... Say it aint so

Is the SFIV pad up to snuff?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
AlteredBeast said:

Saturn pads only work on PC and PS3, there are a bunch of SFIV pad impressions in this thread,

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think I'm beginning to know why some people have complained about the diagonals. I don't have any trouble jumping but I've been missing a lot of my db charges for Guile's flashkick and sonic boom. Maybe my timing was just off today orrrr I could just suck... :D

Anyone else having less success with your charge characters than shotos?

SpudBud

Bought the Chun Li pad. The left side of the d-pad is really stiff. I'm guessing that isn't the norm and I should probably exchange it.

Syckx

AlteredBeast said:

I really like the SFIV pad. Really well made. It took about a day to get comfortable with it, but it is easily the best 6-button pad I have used (never owned a Saturn). I highly recommend them. That, and it's your only option for a 6-button controller on XB360. That still doesn't take away from the fact that they are great controllers.

Rotanibor

To add to what I said about Pac-man earlier, Tetris also isn't great for this d-pad. It feels like the pad is just too big for any game where you need to make small, detailed movements.

bran

To those getting Madcatz pad for PS3 SF4:

How is the PlayStation official controller's Dpad inferior to this pad? Judging from the pictures this Madcatz Dpad would be hella rougher on my thumbs than the PS3 official Dpad....

bran said:

How is the PlayStation official controller's Dpad inferior to this pad? Judging from the pictures this Madcatz Dpad would be hella rougher on my thumbs than the PS3 official Dpad....

I think the DS3 has a superior dpad, it's just hitting the shoulder buttons that would make it a pain to use. I tried the fightpad at gamestop and the dpad was pretty dismal.

gokieks

bran said:

Most of the controllers with good D-Pads (Genesis, Saturn, SFIV FightPad, etc) use circular floating D-Pads, where you can rest your thumb on the center of the circle and easily move in all 8 directions by simply tilting the thumb. The next tier down D-Pads are usually of the cross (Nintendo) type, which more or less allows the same thing. The DualShock D-Pads, however, remove that center section where the thumb normally would be resting, which means to press any of the directions, you actually have to either move the thumb to press it, which takes more effort, or slide your thumb across the separate "buttons", which causes friction, and eventually, discomfort.

My GameStop still hasn't got any of these in... I would just go somewhere else, but I wnt to use this damn $25 gift card I got for Christmas. Next time I'm telling my sister to give me an Amazon gift card...

Top Bottom