• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V ESRB: Female characters' breasts jiggle during character selection

RM8

What is the end game ?
If progress being made and there are games that those people approve of already exist and are being developed now . What is the top goal?

To stamp out t/a/cheesecake in games all together? To have an industry where exaggeration/fantasy is few and far between ?
I'm not the Pope of the Anti-Breasts Church so I can't speak for everyone, but I just want a more diverse female cast in Street Fighter. And... not having that P2 jiggle. See, I'll leave Cammy and Mika alone if there are MORE female characters that are not designed around sexual pandering. I'm honestly pretty shocked that people don't believe Street Fighter and DOA are... or used to be series with different design philosophies - it seems to me that nowadays everyone wants Street Fighter to be DOA, and I don't like it. But right now, in SFV there's only one female who isn't partially naked (Karin) and sexualized. How about some balance? Would that be too terrible for you? That not every female in the roster is Mika levels of pandering? Again, look at KOF. You can have Mai because there are a ton of diverse female characters with different designs, how is that a bad thing at all?

Are you really trying to claim that straight up simply playing a video game is equally embarrassing to people seeing you playing a game with huge jiggling tits? There's a world of difference and one of them extends into debauchery. Playing Mario Galaxy or Tales of Zestiria or whatever kiddy or Japanesey non-mainstream game you're playing is not equally embarrassing to playing Dead or Alive 5 or even Soul Calibur.
This. Sorry but I'm fine with being caught playing video games that are not DOA or Senran Kagura.

Producer

oooh boy capcom cant fix the glitch soon enough. All this ruckus , i feel many people arent aware its actually not intentional.

captainpat

Unless you're character's got one of the dlc outfits. You can definitely play a dead or alive game in front of other people.

oooh boy capcom cant fix the glitch soon enough. All this ruckus , i feel many people arent aware its actually not intentional.

There's no ruckus. Lets not equate Gaf to the rest of the internet.

Mik317

Are you really trying to claim that straight up simply playing a video game is equally embarrassing to people seeing you playing a game with huge jiggling tits? There's a world of difference and one of them extends into debauchery. Playing Mario Galaxy or Tales of Zestiria or whatever kiddy or Japanesey non-mainstream game you're playing is not equally embarrassing to playing Dead or Alive 5 or even Soul Calibur.

child pls.

Playing Mario can lead to the age ole "wow why are you playing that kids game"?

Besides that my point is people can and will judge you regardless, so do you. People seem to forget that our hobby while "mainstream" in a sense thanks to phones is still kinda looked down upon as a childish thing by a lot of people. Tits or not doesn't change that.

Every time these threads pop up there is a lot of passive aggressive shaming in the form of "wow I'd be embarrassed to play this..." or my favorite "this must be for degenerates living in their parents basement trolololol". It is a drive by lame ass statement that serves no real purpose but to prop up the poster as this unstanding citizen who doesn't sully his/her hands on filth but done in a way that removes themselves from the equation. Get off your high horse.

RM8

Ridiculous boob physics and stripper costumes used to be a DOA thing, and now people want that to become the norm in Street Fighter too.

child pls.

Besides that my point is people can and will judge you regardless, so do you. People seem to forget that our hobby while "mainstream" in a sense thanks to phones is still kinda looked down upon as a childish thing by a lot of people. Tits or not doesn't change that.

Every time these threads pop up there is a lot of passive aggressive shaming in the form of "wow I'd be embarrassed to play this..." or my favorite "this must be for degenerates living in their parents basement trolololol". It is a drive by lame ass statement that serves no real purpose but to prop up the poster as this unstanding citizen who doesn't sully his/her hands on filth but done in a way that removes themselves from the equation. Get off your high horse.
I think it's disingenuous that you think playing Mario in public will get you the same kind of judgement that would get you playing DOA.

RM8

I would like the glitch to stay that way just for the triggers :p
I think people view both sides differently depending on which side they fall on, but it seems to me like the people that are triggered in here are the ones who get overly defensive when people imply that maybe massive, jelly-like polygonal breast don't belong everywhere. As for me? I'm in love with SFV and I have it pre-ordered, and it'll be my GOTY next year, most likely. But I can still say the pandering feels cheap and trashy! :]

I really appreciate this phrasing
:p

Producer

Unless you're character's got one of the dlc outfits. You can definitely play a dead or alive game in front of other people.

There's no ruckus. Lets not equate Gaf to the rest of the internet.

Yeah, im just referring to this thread. Some posts in here are just crazy lol.

Klossen

Banned
For some reason, I don't think people were as awkward playing Mortal Kombat with friends. A game where you rip out the very spine of your opponents and watch the blood splatter all over the stage.

But oh no! There was a slight boob jiggle. How am I ever supposed to rationalize this?

LPride

Banned
I feel like nobody should be allowed to laugh at bad breast jiggles without studying fluid dynamics for a year or two.

Its not an easy problem to solve

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
child pls.

There's no high horse to be ridden on, buddy. "People will judge you regardless" is nowhere near an excuse to not be ashamed to play hugely sexualized games in front of others. Might as well run around town naked if you're going to take that philosophy. Or bring Senren Kagura to a middle school parents' night. Have fun with those consequences.

Playing a tales games in front of others

Shudders.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's actually embarrassing. I was using those examples as games people might unfairly judge you for playing, but also to highlight that there's an entirely different sort of judgement between "lol nerd" and "pervert", and people ok with the former may not be ok with the latter.

That said, I don't think SFV is that bad, it's just the concept I'm seeing argued here I find issue with. This

I'm not the Pope of the Anti-Breasts Church so I can't speak for everyone, but I just want a more diverse female cast in Street Fighter. And... not having that P2 jiggle. See, I'll leave Cammy and Mika alone if there are MORE female characters that are not designed around sexual pandering. I'm honestly pretty shocked that people don't believe Street Fighter and DOA are... or used to be series with different design philosophies - it seems to me that nowadays everyone wants Street Fighter to be DOA, and I don't like it. But right now, in SFV there's only one female who isn't partially naked (Karin) and sexualized. How about some balance? Would that be too terrible for you? That not every female in the roster is Mika levels of pandering? Again, look at KOF. You can have Mai because there are a ton of diverse female characters with different designs, how is that a bad thing at all?
Is a good point, though.

I'm out. I made my point that most of the people understood, so i'm good.
And there's a line between discuss about problems and being feminist. And i'm for total equality. Thanks for the talk.

What points have you made beyond "I like boobies also I'll just assume everyone who has a problem with boobies are stuck up prudes so I'll just dismiss every point they make."

kirblar

For some reason, I don't think people were as awkward playing Mortal Kombat with friends. A game where you rip out the very spine of your opponents and watch the blood splatter all over the stage.

But oh no! There was a slight boob jiggle. How am I ever supposed to rationalize this?
It's the same reason you don't want to watch a sex scene with your parents right next to you.

RM8

That one is easy - fighting is inherently violent, so Mortal Kombat just takes it to the extreme. Sex, though? It's pretty out of place in the context of a fighting tournament, so there's no wonder why some people might feel like it's not a good fit for Street Fighter.

But then I'm the one MK fan that could live without gross fatalities.

captainpat

I feel like nobody should be allowed to laugh at bad breast jiggles without studying fluid dynamics for a year or two.

Its not an easy problem to solve

It's always so weird to me because hair is equally bad is not worst. Yet, that doesn't get the smart alecky response.

Garlador

Actually, they got a LOT of complaints and criticism for their female designs.
2835210-versus_sonya_blade__mk9_.png

In fact, they openly said that the feedback caused them to make their women less sexualized in MKX.

"What's wrong with being sexy?" Are you trying to make a point? You aren't doing it very well.
Apparently you haven't watched Spinal Tap then.

I wonder how many times Ronda Rousey has been shot with an arrow since she doesn't wear a full suit of armor.
She does, however, wear a sports bra and approved athletic gear.
If you can't get that the comment was "dress appropriate for the situation", then you missed the point entirely.

Ronda doesn't go into fights dressed like this:

What is the end game ?
Equality and mutual respect, mostly.

If progress is being made and there are games that those people approve of already exist and are being developed now . What is the top goal?
Progress is being made and will keep being made. It's like saying the Civil Rights movement was over the moment Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier. It was progress, but the hard work was far from over.

To stamp out t/a/cheesecake in games all together? To have an industry where exaggeration/fantasy is few and far between ?
To at least have a healthy balance. Sexual exploitation in video games is OVERWHELMINGLY a problem women face, far more than men. There's no balance, no equality, and pandering to a straight heterosexual male demographic with 99% of your energy is frustrating to the many millions of female gamers out there that would like to play games with female characters that aren't walking parodies of men's greatest sexual fantasies. Where they can be accepted on an even playing field without being told "sexual harassment is part of our culture". Where guys won't defend taunts of "rape that bitch!" during gameplay sessions.

Sexual exaggeration isn't the only form of fantasy a woman can, or should, exist in. You make it sound like exaggerated sexuality is the only path a woman in games can take. It can take the form of strength, athleticism, intelligence, etc.

Thankfully, when I say there are changes being made, there ARE:

And you know what? Thank God for it. We were LONG overdue.

I think people view both sides differently depending on which side they fall on, but it seems to me like the people that are triggered in here are the ones who get overly defensive when people imply that maybe massive, jelly-like polygonal breast don't belong everywhere. As for me? I'm in love with SFV and I have it pre-ordered, and it'll be my GOTY next year, most likely. But I can still say the pandering feels cheap and trashy! :]

:p

Everybody love bewbs and thankfully based Japan Knows that.

RM8

Actually, they got a LOT of complaints and criticism for their female designs.

In fact, they openly said that the feedback caused them to make their women less sexualized in MKX.
It's worth noting that even though MKX got rid of the strippers and balloon boobs, it saw the biggest launch in the series' history.

Trickster

I still think part of the problem with male sexualization is that there's no real standard for what they actually means. A good example of that is Hot Ryu. Based on Capcom's response to him, they really didn't know that the design would be so popular. It just seemed like they did that design to fit an older version of Ryu that's more "grizzled". So he lost his top and has a beard to reflect that. But you'll sometimes have people point out that a certain male character seems to be sexualized, and then someone will say that they're meant to be goofy or they're a male power fantasy. So what is and isn't male sexualization seems to be much more narrow than what is and isn't female sexualization.

I pretty much agree exactly with what you're saying.

However I think that discord between what different people say is male sexualization or power fantasy points to male sexualization being the opposite of narrow, rather I think that should tell anyone that it's actually much broader and hard to define than female sexualization, which is almost always very obvious since boobs and ass on a slender body with a pretty face is something that most straight guys love to look at.

However if you look at characters like Garrus and Thane from Mass Effect, or Dante from DMC, characters which are very popular among women, their appeals are obviously nowhere as obvious as Cammy in a skintight leotard with her butt practically on full display is.

Mik317

I think SFVs female cast is pretty varied. Even in terms of fanservice, Mika's approach to it and Laura's approach to it...is pretty different despite both having large chests. Chun Li's main point of sexualization is overblown due to physics on the character select screen being out of whack. Ibuki is generally pretty down to earth too despite also having a large chest. (Juri I suspect will be cray tho).

Garlador

You missed the point of my post.

Your point was that apparently MK players had an easier time rationalizing boob jiggle and skimpy clothing in a game with looney tune violence.

But... they didn't. Enough players WERE awkward around it. There are enough female players too that didn't like it.

So for the sequel, all the women are MUCH more covered up and the jiggle turned WAY down.

The developers openly addressed that during a Kombat Kast and said they intentional made those changes after getting the feedback that enough people were awkward around it... probably more so when Johnny Cage slams Sonya's disembodied torso to the ground, blood oozing out of her stumps, and her boobs just start jiggling like crazy...

That one is easy - fighting is inherently violent, so Mortal Kombat just takes it to the extreme. Sex, though? It's pretty out of place in the context of a fighting tournament, so there's no wonder why some people might feel like it's not a good fit for Street Fighter.

But then I'm the one MK fan that could live without gross fatalities.

It can't be just that as I remember that Atlus had to release an alt cover for Catherine because some people said they were embarrassed by the standard cover. Yet Catherine is literally a game about sex and relationships.

Mik317

It's worth noting that even though MKX got rid of the strippers and balloon boobs, it saw the biggest launch in the series' history.

and I am sure that's totally why it happened...not the fact that people starved for a fighting game on their next gen consoles and MK9 also being pretty sucessful. nope...

That's true, though you can probably look at the way that Rufus is presented as a joke in and out of the SF universe as a problem with fat characters. What would you think if Rufus was female, but still retained the same body type and personality?

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if they would ever do that with a female character. For as much as a joke Rufus is displayed as, the joke is more physicality and personality. He is jiggly af, but he is wonderfully arrogant (but not without cause - Rufus is a fairly strong fighter). Rufus also stands in contention with the frustrating counter-argument I saw in another thread asking "why can't we have more women in games who are on the thicker side?" Rufus gets to be super obese, and no one questions how he is able to fight Akuma and win.

Garlador

and I am sure that's totally why it happened...not the fact that people starved for a fighting game on their next gen consoles and MK9 also being pretty sucessful. nope...

The POINT is that neither MK9 nor MKX were successful because of stripper women and bouncing boobs.

So the removal of the sexually exploitative elements did nothing to harm MKX's sales.

Also, as a fighting game fan, I already plenty of fighters on the system by the time MKX rolled around. I bought MKX because it's a good game, not because MK9 had a nearly-naked Mileena costume to unlock.

Dude, you know that had almost jack shit to do with it's success.
His point is the loss of those elements didn't hurt it.

His argument is that jiggle and sexual fanservice weren't important to the series, so it could be successful without it. It's success was not dependent on Sonya's chest flopping around.

RM8

Dude, you know that had almost jack shit to do with it's success.
My point was not that people said "cool! no fanservice, take my money!" - but that removing or toning down sexual pandering is not a death sentence. Unless you're DOA, I guess.

Klossen

Banned
Your point was that apparently MK players had an easier time rationalizing boob jiggle and skimpy clothing in a game with looney tune violence.

But... they did. Enough players WERE awkward around it. There are enough female players too that didn't like it.

So for the sequel, all the women are MUCH more covered up and the jiggle turned WAY down.

The developers openly addressed that during a Kombat Kast and said they intentional made those changes after getting the feedback that enough people were awkward around it... probably more so when Johnny Cage slams Sonya's disembodied torso to the ground, blood oozing out of her stumps, and her boobs just start jiggling like crazy...
That wasn't my point at all. My point was that people are so easy to overlook extreme violence and death as something "video gamey" while treating sex within the same game as something that must adhere strictly to the confines of realism. For some reason we can't treat the jiggly breasts the same way we treat the broken spines and mutilated bodies.

Hell, your example does nothing but strengthen my point. The fact that the MK devs actually tried to modify the sex appeal to "realistic" levels while also being a cartoon gorefest game speaks volumes of the dissonance between sex and violence. Why does extreme violence and gore get a free pass while breasts don't? Why can we accept violence as part of the fiction and not the sex? And why is it worse enjoying the sex than the violence in the game?

The POINT is that neither MK9 nor MKX were successful because of stripper women and bouncing boobs.

So the removal of the sexually exploitative elements did nothing to harm MKX's sales.

Also, as a fighting game fan, I already plenty of fighters on the system by the time MKX rolled around. I bought MKX because it's a good game, not because MK9 had a nearly-naked Mileena costume to unlock.

His point is the loss of those elements didn't hurt it.

His argument is that jiggle and sexual fanservice weren't important to the series, so it could be successful without it. It's success was not dependent on Sonya's chest flopping around.

And how do we know If the game could have been more succeful with the sexy suits?

LPride

Banned
My point was not that people said "cool! no fanservice, take my money!" - but that removing or toning down sexual pandering is not a death sentence. Unless you're DOA, I guess.

People in this very thread have been complaining about Chun Li, whos always been (relatively) modestly dressed.

RM8

And how do we know If the game could have been more succeful with the sexy suits?
Well, we know MK9 had stripper outfits and massive boobs, and we know MKX had a bigger launch (on a much smaller userbase). Again, it's not that tasteful clothes sold the game, but I think it's safe to say people didn't buy Mortal Kombat games because of the sexualized characters.

It can't be just that as I remember that Atlus had to release an alt cover for Catherine because some people said they were embarrassed by the standard cover. Yet Catherine is literally a game about sex and relationships.
Boxart is usually never NSFW, though. Mortal Kombat doesn't feature bloody organs on their covers.

However if you look at characters like Garrus and Thane from Mass Effect, or Dante from DMC, characters which are very popular among women, their appeals are obviously nowhere as obvious as Cammy in a skintight leotard with her butt practically on full display is.
There's nothing puzzling about Dante's appeal, IMO. Exposed abs, scenes that show Dante drying himself after showering, or the entire DmC intro. Plus Dante is always given a handsome face - some people forget about this when they imply Zangief or Urien are pandering characters.

Seriously?

We've established that the removal of revealing costumes did not contribute to an evident loss of sales. If you are going to argue that adding the sexy costumes back in would have made a difference, you better have a pretty strong justification. Otherwise, all you're doing is making a "what if" and nothing more.

Garlador

That wasn't my point at all. My point was that people are so easy to overlook extreme violence and death as something "video gamey" while treating sex within the same game as something that must adhere strictly to the confines of realism. For some reason we can't treat the jiggly breasts the same way we treat the broken spines and mutilated bodies.
That's because this is a fighting game, not a sex game.

Just like I expect sex games have plenty of jiggly breasts, but I imagine some players would be upset if their sexy women suddenly exploded into bloody bits.

One thrives on violence and gore; one thrives on sexual pandering. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Hell, your example does nothing but strengthen my point. The fact that the MK devs actually tried to modify the sex appeal to "realistic" levels while also being a cartoon gorefest game speaks volumes of the dissonance between sex and violence.
MKX's gore is FAR more realistic than it used to be. It's still over-the-top, but you won't be seeing people explode into multiple ribcages and skulls. You won't see Jax turn into a giant and squash you. The Fatalities were actually criticized by a few this time around for being too realistic, to the point they made people feel a bit queasy.

So, yes, both the gore AND the women's sexuality are more realistic than they used to be. MKX's gore is nowhere near as hilariously fake and cheesy as it was twenty years ago. And the sexuality was modified to be more realistic as well.

Why does extreme violence and gore get a free pass while breasts don't? Why can we accept violence as part of the fiction and not the sex? And why is worse enjoying the sex than the violence in the game?
Because the point of the game is extreme violence and gore. You don't seem to get it.

MK was never about stripper outfits and bouncing breasts.

Something like Bayonetta, however, thrives on sexuality. Catherine thrives on sexuality. That's the point of THOSE games. Those games are ABOUT that. I'm okay with those games because the point of those games is to use sexuality in interesting ways.

I'm amazed you still can't see the difference. It's not a war against sex. It's complaining that sex doesn't always belong in some situations or some games.

Well, the removal of them didn't hurt sales any. In fact, the game saw a boost in sales over its predecessor.

If the removal of those elements in no way hurt overall performance, and the game has done better without them, than those ingredients were never the key to its success in the first place.

I don't think the sexualization of older MK games even helped it. The series is notorious for being lambasted for the brick chins on their women, and the most sexualized character is the butter face Mileena. In the SF series, a lot of people probably thought Chun-Li and Cammy were attractive, especially since Cammy shows her assets in her win pose and their aesthetics was very anime-ish in things like the Alpha series. But whenever I think of sexy in MK, the older MKs at best just had Sonya in an aerobics outfit and the female ninjas in a one piece bathing suit. Then in the 3d MK, everyone got hit with an ugly stick...

RM8

MK was never about stripper outfits and bouncing breasts.
This is so true. MK was huge when the skimpiest females looked like this:

Sure, she's not wearing a ton, but her breasts aren't massive and jelly-like because that's a real woman portraying the character. Sonya never showed anything but her midriff back then, lol.

RM8

Mostly in the West. Don't know if it'll ever change for the East. Different crowd altogether.
KOF is, IMO, pretty cool about diverse female designs and most of them are pretty classy and modest. It's incredible that these guys designed King back in the 90s, lol.

Top Bottom