• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V ESRB: Female characters' breasts jiggle during character selection

I think early MK definitely benefited from the fact that the characters were actually directly modeled after real people, so in order to give them large breasts, they'd have to

1. Actively look for models who had large breasts, and
2. Have them wear clothing that emphasized it more

Perhaps the slight awkwardness of 2 saved MK from that silliness back then

KOF is, IMO, pretty cool about diverse female designs and most of them are pretty classy and modest. It's incredible that these guys designed King back in the 90s, lol.

Well the idea is, when folks tout that the designs are juvenile, reality that's their audience and crowd. Today at least. Hence with SE even saying they're going back to designing games for Japan, not the West.

LPride

Banned
KOF is, IMO, pretty cool about diverse female designs and most of them are pretty classy and modest. It's incredible that these guys designed King back in the 90s, lol.

King is tremendously sexy and obviously a sexual object, shes just not one that was created pandering to you.

Klossen

Banned
That's because this is a fighting game, not a sex game.

Just like I expect sex games have plenty of jiggly breasts, but I imagine some players would be upset if their sexy women suddenly exploded into bloody bits.

One thrives on violence and gore; one thrives on sexual pandering. You're comparing apples and oranges.

MKX's gore is FAR more realistic than it used to be. It's still over-the-top, but you won't be seeing people explode into multiple ribcages and skulls. You won't see Jax turn into a giant and squash you. The Fatalities were actually criticized by a fear this time around for being too realistic, to the point they made people feel a bit queasy.

So, yes, both the gore AND the women's sexuality are more realistic than they used to be. MKX's gore is nowhere near as hilariously fake and cheesy as it was twenty years ago. And the sexuality was modified to be more realistic as well.

Because the point of the game is extreme violence and gore. You don't seem to get it.

MK was never about stripper outfits and bouncing breasts.

Something like Bayonetta, however, thrives on sexuality. Catherine thrives on sexuality. That's the point of THOSE games. Those games are ABOUT that. I'm okay with those games because the point of those games is to use sexuality in interesting ways.

I'm amazed you still can't see the difference. It's not a war against sex. It's complaining that sex doesn't always belong in some situations or some games.

A fighting game doesn't inherently need to be gory and bloody. Every other fighting game besides MK has shown that you can do a fighting game just fine without the unneccessary blood splatter. Shouldn't the MK devs then modify the violence more in line with other fighting games? Because when people fight MMA in real life, I'm pretty sure they don't rip out each other's spines. But no. That would be silly directly complaining a fighting game with an actual real life sport, wouldn't you think?

I also find your way of thinking a tad bit binary. A game's purpose is either sex or violence? Why can't it be both? Why can't we treat both violence and sex within the confines of the medium rather than extrapolate it to real life politics? Bayonetta has plenty of violence too. Yet I doubt many people were protesting against that. Another case where we accept violence as the norm but when sex gets brought in, the devs have to "justify" their actions and somehow scrutinized for it. Let's not forget how much controversy Bayonetta has sparked

What I want to end at is basically that; Let a game be a work of fiction and stop demand it to be 1:1 with reality. You've already done this for violence. Every time you play a game you automatically realize the disconnect between the game and reality, therefore rationalizing the in-game violence. I don't see why the sex should be treated any differently. And yes, of course I agree that there is a proper time and place for everything. If people started to break their backs on DoA, it wouldn't fit. But in general terms, I've come to find that people are much more accepting of violence than sex appeal. I sure as hell don't want Capcom to watch real-life sports and start making costume changes after that. It would be counter-productive to the identity of the game.

MK's attempt at realism will forever be the most unintentionally hilarious thing a dev has ever done.

RM8

King is tremendously sexy and obviously a sexual object, shes just not one that was created pandering to you.
King might be sexy, but her design doesn't revolve around that. There's this thing called "balance" that is pretty awesome, and character designers should consider it more often :p It's like Dante being sexy, but not being a character that revolves around being sexy.

Even if you think Whip, King, Xiangfei, Kasumi, Chizuru, etc. are sexy, that doesn't mean their designs are not classy and tasteful. SNK is the best about this, IMHO.

whip2000fix.jpg

This is a female design, from a Japanese game made in the 90s.

Consider how huge their mobile market is and the character designs for some of that stuff, It's gonna be a while.

What I'm saying is, I don't think that's going to change. It's simply the East demographic for gaming. When you have folks on the other side of the Ocean loudly calling out the West on possible censorship and whining about designs being sexual, you know you have a gaming cultural difference.

Pompadour

I always felt that Street Fighter had more conservatively designed women fighters (excluding Cammy) compared to other franchises like DOA or Soul Calibur. I find it odd that Chun-Li and Cammy went up a few cup sizes between 4 and 5, though.

Hyun Sai

King might be sexy, but her design doesn't revolve around that. There's this thing called "balance" that is pretty awesome, and character designers should consider it more often :p It's like Dante being sexy, but not being a character that revolves around being sexy.

Even if you think Whip, King, Xiangfei, Kasumi, Chizuru, etc. are sexy, that doesn't mean their designs are not classy and tasteful. SNK is the best about this, IMHO.

This is a female design, from a Japanese game made in the 90s.

The best SNK female design in my opinion is Vice from KoFXIII. So sexy, so classy...

vice-kof13-stance.gif

And yes, SNK were the best regarding to outfits (male or female IMO)...

Garlador

Mostly in the West. Don't know if it'll ever change for the East. Different crowd altogether.

I think there are a few notable exceptions (for the most part). Japan isn't a hive mind, after all.

I've always been impressed with the Resident Evil women (barring some gag costumes).
women_of_the_resident_evil__by_thegallerychronicles-d5jri73.jpg

And Street Fighter's majority of their women are pretty well-covered and respectable. Chun-li, Rose, Makoto, Crimson Viper, Karin, etc.

And... barring Other M and the introduction of the Zero Suit, we got nearly 20 years of Samus's predominate exposure being just walking battle tank:

Horror games like Silent Hill 3 has a great female lead with Heather, JRPGs have given us great female leads that don't dress-down like Seth from Lost Odyssey, Yuna from FFX, Elly from Xenogears, etc.

There are plenty of respectable women in Japanese games, though it does feel like they're dragging their feet a tad more, and I think that's because the otaku culture that loves fanservice is a much bigger market than anything similar in the west.

I think there are a few notable exceptions (for the most part). Japan isn't a hive mind, after all.

I've always been impressed with the Resident Evil women (barring some gag costumes).
women_of_the_resident_evil__by_thegallerychronicles-d5jri73.jpg

And Street Fighter's majority of their women are pretty well-covered and respectable. Chun-li, Rose, Makoto, Crimson Viper, Karin, etc.

And... barring Other M and the introduction of the Zero Suit, we got nearly 20 years of Samus's predominate exposure being just walking battle tank:

Horror games like Silent Hill 3 has a great female lead with Heather, JRPGs have given us great female leads that don't dress-down like Seth from Lost Odyssey, Yuna from FFX, Elly from Xenogears, etc.

There are plenty of respectable women in Japanese games, though it does feel like they're dragging their feet a tad more, and I think that's because the otaku culture that loves fanservice is a much bigger market than anything similar in the west.

Im not talking about just Japan, but Korea, or Asia in general. There was vocal commentary on Korean forums for Blade and Soul about how the West complains too much about sexuality and that it would get censored over there anyway. But both males/females are more accepting of it over there too. Or maybe suppressed.

RM8

Otaku games are niche even in Japan, though. People act as if DOA and Senran Kagura dominated the charts, but that's really not the case. Not even close - it's just that the otaku demographic resides there. No, that doesn't mean your average Japanese person believes DOA is tasteful. I mean, "kiddy" looking games massively dominate the Japanese market, with Pokémon, Dragon Quest, Yo-Kai Watch, Puzzle & Dragons, etc.

Out of curiosity, but aren't a lot of male designs in fighting games catering toward women in the East? Sure, they aren't hyper sexualized but I've read that a lot of the "pretty boy" designs in games like KOF were to appeal to women.
Yup. KOF has an army of "pretty boy" characters.

Pompadour

Out of curiosity, but aren't a lot of male designs in fighting games catering toward women in the East? Sure, they aren't hyper sexualized but I've read that a lot of the "pretty boy" designs in games like KOF were to appeal to women.

And look where they are now . . .

Well, I'm pretty sure that didn't have anything to do with the designs. Neo Geo bombing, then being bought in an acquisition by a Pachinko company, would be a much bigger factor than how much boobage Mai is showing.

One of my main characters I use in KOF is Benimaru aka sexy Jean Polnareff, even though Polnareff is a fabulous man already. Then you have the likes of Ash Crimson who many people mistake for a women because he paints his nails and has a 1950s housewife hairdo. Then there is Shion

Benimaru

CVS_Benimaru.jpg

Ash

Ash_Crimson.png

Shion (this is a guy)

Hyun Sai

KOF died with the arcades, though. Sadly :( Even here in Mexico, where it used to be absolutely massive (and no, it wasn't because of Mai's boobs).

KoF died because SNK didn't anticipate the switch arcade / console and didn't design their games around good (or event decent, like SFIV) netcode.

Otaku games are niche even in Japan, though. People act as if DOA and Senran Kagura dominated the charts, but that's really not the case. Not even close - it's just that the otaku demographic resides there. No, that doesn't mean your average Japanese person believes DOA is tasteful. I mean, "kiddy" looking games massively dominate the Japanese market, with Pokémon, Dragon Quest, Yo-Kai Watch, Puzzle & Dragons, etc.

It's not even Otaku games though, see Star Ocean 5. And no, in no way did I say the average japanese person thought it was tasteful, just the gaming demographic. Or as someone mentioned, see the mobile market and the art in those games. It's pretty particular.

Also, not the best example considering Quiet and whatnot, but Raiden in MGS was designed based on female feedback too. I suppose the East tries a little more on male designs compared to the west. There's also the Tales games, which are actually heavily female centric fanbase.

RM8

What mobile games? Because the ones making bank in Japan are not very sexual. Unless Puzzle & Dragons or Monster Strike get you going :p The lewd ones might be indeed trying to reach the otaku market.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
She does, however, wear a sports bra and approved athletic gear.
If you can't get that the comment was "dress appropriate for the situation", then you missed the point entirely.

Ronda doesn't go into fights dressed like this:
So much this. I loved how people compared R. Mika's outfit to female wrestler's outfits as if they were equivalent. Actually they are not, even if female wrestlers show a lot of skin and can look goofy, at least the outfit makes sense in that it, well, attaches, and would stay on during a fight. xD

To at least have a healthy balance. Sexual exploitation in video games is OVERWHELMINGLY a problem women face, far more than men. There's no balance, no equality, and pandering to a straight heterosexual male demographic with 99% of your energy is frustrating to the many millions of female gamers out there that would like to play games with female characters that aren't walking parodies of men's greatest sexual fantasies. Where they can be accepted on an even playing field without being told "sexual harassment is part of our culture". Where guys won't defend taunts of "rape that bitch!" during gameplay sessions.

Sexual exaggeration isn't the only form of fantasy a woman can, or should, exist in. You make it sound like exaggerated sexuality is the only path a woman in games can take. It can take the form of strength, athleticism, intelligence, etc.

Thankfully, when I say there are changes being made, there ARE:
And you know what? Thank God for it. We were LONG overdue.
Great post.

Garlador

A fighting game doesn't inherently need to be gory and bloody.
Mortal Kombat does because its focus is about blood and gore. It always has been. It's why when there was a T-rated MK vs DC, there was a lot of backlash.

Every other fighting game besides MK has shown that you can do a fighting game just fine without the unneccessary blood splatter.
Which is why those games don't advertise themselves as bloody and gory and promote their fatalities and shock value in commercials, interviews, and trailers. The blood and gore is what put MK on the map. Hell, it's what created the entire ESRB rating system in the first place. The blood and gore are a part of its very identity.

Shouldn't the MK devs then modify the violence more in line with other fighting games? Because when people fight MMA in real life, I'm pretty sure they don't rip out each other's spines. But no. That would be silly directly complaining a fighting game with an actual real life sport, wouldn't you think?
Actually, they HAVE made it more realistic. They've referenced real martial artists and real fights to diversify the games. They've taken a lot more inspiration from reality more and more over the years and toned down uppercuts that knocked you 30 feet in the air, roundhouse kicks that send you flying across the entire screen, and have added in combos, martial art styles, and real-life maneuvers and actions ripped from real life fights and fighters. So, yes, they have modified the violence to be more realistic, and people actually find that even MORE violent because it feels more real.

I also find your way of thinking a tad bit binary. A game's purpose is either sex or violence?
Never said that. I said MK's purpose wasn't sex; it was violence. I mentioned Bayonetta literally in the next paragraph and said it did sex well because both were part of its identity. I never said it didn't do violence well either.

Why can't it be both?
Why isn't their sex and gore in Mario? Because they're not what Mario is about. It's not part of that game's identity. Why is there not a gratuitous sex scene in Halo? Because the game isn't about sex. Why isn't there a happy musical number with unicorns in God of War? Because that's not what the series is about. That's not what its strength is.

Why can't we treat both violence and sex within the confines of the medium rather than extrapolate it to real life politics?
Because real life affects us when we turn the games off. Real life matters more than video game worlds, and that's the problem. Real life sexual discrimination and sexual objectification spills over from the real world constantly in video games.

Bayonetta has plenty of violence too. Yet I doubt many people were protesting against that.
As I mentioned, because the game's focus was on sexual violence. MK franchise never was.

Another case where we accept violence as the norm but when sex gets brought in, the devs have to "justify" their actions and somehow scrutinized for it. Let's not forget how much controversy Bayonetta has sparked
You mean how it opened a very logical discussion and there are a great many feminists that enjoy Bayonetta because she isn't the victim of sexual degradation. Rather, she's the one in charge of it?

What I want to end at is basically that; Let a game be a work of fiction and stop demand it to be 1:1 with reality.
Nonsense. "It's just fiction" isn't a valid excuse. Some of the most influential works of history, that have caused wars, revolutions, and changed governments and policy, were works of fiction.

You've already done this for violence. Every time you play a game you automatically realize the disconnect between the game and reality, therefore rationalizing the in-game violence. I don't see why the sex should be treated any differently.
I can't go on the street and rip a man's spine out with my bare hands, but you can bet plenty of women have walked the streets and had men cattle call them, sexually harass them, yell at them to take their tops off, or get upset when a woman rebuffs their sexual advances. You honestly can't see how one of them is a work of such fantasy that it's humanly impossible to telekinetically tear a man apart with your mind, but the sexual objectification of woman is a problem in REAL LIFE that happens daily?

And yes, of course I agree that there is a proper time and place for everything. If people started to break their backs on DoA, it wouldn't fit. But in general terms, I've come to find that people are much more accepting of violence than sex appeal.
Because there's not a real-life problem of Mortal Kombat tournaments. Joey down the street is at not risk of having his soul sucked from his body or his head flying off from a kick to the nuts. But my friend Sally has been the victim of sexual violence, and my friend Rachel has been sexually harassed, and my friend Jennifer has been raped, and my friend Britney can't play games online without harassment, and my friend Megan can't talk about women's equality in games without receiving death threats.

You really don't see the difference and you think the portrayal of sex and violence in games is somehow equitable in real life?

I sure as hell don't want Capcom to watch real-life sports and start making costume changes after that. It would be counter-productive to the identity of the game.
Er, but a lot of their costumes are based on real life athletic gear and outfits already.

MK's attempt at realism will forever be the most unintentionally hilarious thing a dev has ever done.
Why? The newest game is the most realistic and it's sold better than all the others.

Trickster

There's nothing puzzling about Dante's appeal, IMO. Exposed abs, scenes that show Dante drying himself after showering, or the entire DmC intro. Plus Dante is always given a handsome face - some people forget about this when they imply Zangief or Urien are pandering characters.

He has a coouple of scenes where he does something that could be construed as having sexual undertones. He also only had abs showing in DMC3, in the rest he is fully clothed and covered. So most of time he is not presented in what you could call a sexualized manner. So while I definitely get the appeal, it's really not as obvious as the majority of female characters with a similar appeal. Which was my point.

LPride

Banned
Also, not the best example considering Quiet and whatnot, but Raiden in MGS was designed based on female feedback too. I suppose the East tries a little more on male designs compared to the west. There's also the Tales games, which are actually heavily female centric fanbase.

Part of this is because women have only gotten into the hobby en masse in the last 5 years in the west, but women have always been in video games in Japan. No need to cater to an audience that isnt there, after all.

As far as costumes in SFV goes, it's a game that's going to have a ton of costumes. Probably moreso than even SF4 since they're going to allow players to earn characters through simply playing the game. Costumes will be what cost money. And those will run the gamut from sexy to more conservative. Chun will certainly have her Alpha outfit

chund4seo.jpg

I don't think many games have went that far yet with their muscle simulation. Perhaps the Fight night and Ufc games.

Interestingly, SFV does have muscle flex. You can see it in some Cammy gifs. Particularly in her legs. For all the praise of MK's females, their bodies all look fairly similar and none of them have any sort of muscle detail.

Why? The newest game is the most realistic and it's sold better than all the others.

Actually I would say MK1 is probably more realistic than the shit that goes in MKX. In a span of 1 match, you can find people bouncing off the ground like a basketball, uppercuts still send people 15 feet in the air, ice clones, weapons from hammer space, SAT weapons, and more wrapped up about some story about Special forces kids fighting an extradimensional battle. The first one was relatively tame in its match flow and it was about a tournament, which was easy to understand. I'm pretty sure MKX also did well because it was a new fighting game on a next gen console, after Netherrealms got their shit together after basically 2 console generations of making shit fighting games to start making something decent again.

Klossen

Banned
Garlador, let me first say that I think it's terrible what has happened to those women and there is no way anyone can justify that.

I definitely do feel though that if you're working under the assumption that sex in games makes people more disrespecting of women, then logically violence in games should make people more disrespecting of others well-being aswell. This discussion was about MK (well SFV originally before I derailed it) but there are other games with very authentic and disturbing violence that can be copied real life if there is a strong enough influence. I personally find the violence more disturbing.

Either way, if you have more to add, be sure to do it. I've spoken my mind when it comes to how we approach sex and violence. Anything more and I'll just repeat myself.

Kinyou

Interestingly, SFV does have muscle flex. You can see it in some Cammy gifs. Particularly in her legs. For all the praise of MK's females, their bodies all look fairly similar and none of them have any sort of muscle detail.
Oh, that's cool. I imagine the male fighters will have the same then.

RM8

BTW the MKX praise comes in part because 3D Mortal Kombat has historically always looked terrible. Faces, bodies, everything looks pretty bad most of the time - until MXK was released. There's obviously still lots of room for improvement, but it's such an insanely massive upgrade over MK9, let alone earlier 3D games.

You know what? I think the art for that game is pretty great looking (from that article, at least).

Garlador, let me first say that I think it's terrible what has happened to those women and there is no way anyone can justify that.

I definitely do feel though that if you're working under the assumption that sex in games makes people more disrespecting of women, then logically violence in games should make people more disrespecting of others well-being aswell. This discussion was about MK (well SFV originally before I derailed it) but there are other games with very authentic and disturbing violence that can be copied real life if there is a strong enough influence. I personally find the violence more disturbing.

Either way, if you have more to add, be sure to do it. I've spoken my mind when it comes to how we approach sex and violence. Anything more and I'll just repeat myself.

The issue is that violence in games is spread out, and doesn't seem "targeted," whereas sexualization in games is very much a female thing. It does not often happen, and for all of the guff people will give about hot Ryu, they don't really bring it up outside of the context of it being a response to complaints about Cammy (for instance). The over-sexualization of women in media can affect people's views towards women - that is a product of something we have known for quite some time (that media can influence perceptions). Kind of like how if you see a lot of black people committing crimes, you are more inclined to consider black people criminal. Or if you see that the news is reporting a lot of white victims (especially if the perpetrator is black), they may think that white people have it bad. It's more of a subconscious thing - no one is saying that if you play Bayonetta, you are going to sexually assault women, just like no one is saying that if you play Mortal Kombat, you're going to kill someone. But it can have an effect on you, especially when you're developing. MK may not cause violence, but violent/competitive games are shown to increase a person's aggression. If sexuality was more gender-neutral in the industry, this wouldn't really be a problem.

BTW the MKX praise comes in part because 3D Mortal Kombat has historically always looked terrible. Faces, bodies, everything looks pretty bad most of the time - until MXK was released. There's obviously still lots of room for improvement, but it's such an insanely massive upgrade over MK9, let alone earlier 3D games.

You know what? I think the art for that game is pretty great looking (from that article, at least).

Whelp. If you google Granblue Fantasy Art.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...yb_8gCFQ6jiAods2oMdg&biw=1920&bih=982#imgrc=_

Garlador

Actually I would say MK1 is probably more realistic than the shit that goes in MKX. In a span of 1 match, you can find people bouncing off the ground like a basketball, uppercuts still send people 15 feet in the air, ice clones, weapons from hammer space, SAT weapons, and more wrapped up about some story about Special forces kids fighting an extradimensional battle. The first one was relatively tame in its match flow and it was about a tournament, which was easy to understand. I'm pretty sure MKX also did well because it was a new fighting game on a next gen console, after Netherrealms got their shit together after basically 2 console generations of making shit fighting games to start making something decent again.
I should have said "more realistic".

Obviously, you still have undead flying mummies and cyborgs and demons and zombies and lightning gods running around, but the actual fighting is more "realistic" in that fights aren't just sweep kicks and uppercuts. There's finesse, grapples, dodges, counters, tackles, stuns, combos, fight stances, etc. That's what I meant.

I don't work under that assumption.

Sex in video games can be GREAT if handled well.

Or... it can be handled REALLY wrong...

Thankfully, more and more video games are getting better about sex. It's becoming less a "reward" for playing well and more a natural part of characters, relationships, and actual intimacy.

Like violence, sex can be a great thing when handled with care in a game. It can actually matter and mean something. Just like violence, it can also be misused and cheapened.

It's all in the approach.

I agree with Trickster, because I feel that you can get to the end of it without much investment, and a lot of times it just seems like it's just an option to be a "bang buddy". Usually it's just a few dialog segments where you talk to your party in between missions or at camp. In Xenogears for example, you see a relationship build up from the ground up, and you see Fei and Elly go through a lot of things together. In a Bioware game, it feels like their is no "growth through trial" part of the relationship. If I wanted to get a romance, I can go ask Morrigan how her day was, then ask about her history like 3 times throughout the game, then the bang option comes up. Sure, mechanically both things are the same, as in your are just going through dialog, but they execute much differently.

Also DA2 was really horrible with this. It's like no one had a preference besides if it has 2 legs and breaths, they want to bang it. I would like characters with nuance to them and have likes or hate. It also seemed really weird that Anders wanted to get it on, and he dislikes you if you turn him down, since I thought he was a decent guy in Awakening
and not a psycho terrorist blowing shit up.
It just felt like you were playing with meters at that point.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I would guess they object to the "gift NPC a bunch of crap and suddenly they want to fuck you and marry you" trope? And of course it ends there, they have sex and that's it, like it's the conclusion of the story.

Or am I confusing it with Skyrim? xD

I would have used the example from Wolfenstein: TNO myself instead of Bioware, anyway.

tumblr_m62w4nzQVu1roaszgo1_400.gif

180px-An2m.gif

ilsLKjE.gif

This is why Nintendo is always tops.
Hahaha.

Well honestly, as a female player, seeing the boob jiggle in video games look just as stupid and ridiculous and eye-rolling as the animations above. It boggles my mind that people think they're actually hot, honestly. Funny? Ok sure. Sexy? lol wot

RM8

Have we seen the non glitch version of the breast jiggle yet? The ersb just notes that there are jiggling breasts but not to what extent.
ERSB probably saw the P2 side jiggle. But even in-game there's some jiggle, and it looks just fine - that's probably the jiggle that should be present in the character selection screen.

Moaradin

Dragon Age Origins is pretty bad with that stuff but it's a lot better in pretty much every Bioware game after that.

Top Bottom