• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT2| Another Fight Isn't Coming Your Way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

Faught (and beat) an Ultra Bronze Karin with a 14 game win streak in the mirror. Taunted them at the start because that's a fucking rage quitter, right? Not so much.

Now I feel bad.

GorillaJu

I know it's still early days, but are any pros leaning towards Laura?

After getting into the swing of things with Ryu, she's my next target to learn, and so far she seems really fun. Kind of like Abel mixups with Makoto dash shenanigans and some Viper electric elbows thrown in for good measure.

Would appreciate any insight as to who's looking to main her.

Mr Crimson, 801 Strider, VRyu are all very good Laura players.

Pompadour

Faught (and beat) an Ultra Bronze Karin with a 14 game win streak in the mirror. Taunted them at the start because that's a fucking rage quitter, right? Not so much.

Now I feel bad.

I find that there aren't a ton of ragequitters in the Bronze leagues but lots of super tough opponents. I figure people who are legit good at the game but won't rage quit eventually drop below Silver and are stuck there whereas I find several downright shitty opponents in Silver because they refuse to take a L.

Sheroking

I find that there aren't a ton of ragequitters in the Bronze leagues but lots of super tough opponents. I figure people who are legit good at the game but won't rage quit eventually drop below Silver and are stuck there whereas I find several downright shitty opponents in Silver because they refuse to take a L.

14 game win streak though?

Either he was godlike and just started playing ranked (he wasn't) or he got SUPREMELY lucky with match-making.

Durden77

I've come to the conclusion that the mode as a whole is a giant waste of time. You don't learn anything because of how the CPU acts/reacts, so it's really not even beneficial in that sense. I've given up on trying to beat hard with my main. I'm sure the colors will be able to be unlocked via fight money/zenny when the Shop drops in March.

It's all a game of luck, really. That's what sucks the most is like you said, you don't really learn anything. When you hit them, it's because they let you hit them. They are especially vulnerable to cross-ups though, but that just makes you play dumbly making you too reliant on them and get blown up by anti-airs when the CPU decides they want to start using them. And when they decide to, well the instant you leave the ground you will be AA'd every. fucking. time.

I just figure if I smash my head against it emough eventually I'll get that line of code that let's me win. It's....fucking terrible...but I at least want to earn Nash's colors. And I want the trophy. I have no idea in fuck how I'm going to get the hell trophy though.

Pachinko

What's happening in the brain of the average PSN Cammy:

giphy.gif

Hahahahaha I think you could apply this to most of the cast for anyone just starting out but I still couldn't help but laugh.

Also after playing some Ken tonight with a friend I've determined that he's the closest thing this game has to ibuki - if you can vskill dash into DP repeatedly it feels like you aren't really trying very hard so that might explain the ken army out and about. My friend isn't that big of a scrub though so after a couple of wins he stomped me pretty good with his vega.

Also, why is it that battle lounge doesn't net you any experience ? yet another thing missing from SF4 , that game would give you colors and titles doing local versus at least. I don't need fight money but give me something besides practice.

Me and street fighter have this relationship where I just barely think I've got it figured out on some level and then I get shut down but in the last year I've improved to the point where I can figure out where I went wrong ... just not so much how to get better in some cases.

I still kind of feel like Ryu should be the first pick for anyone - he can easily teach you spacing , the importance of blocking and using / relying on quality normals rather than specials all the time. Switching from Ryu to Ken you then learn how to get in to your opponents space quicker while also using specials in smarter ways. Going from Ken to Rashid you get variations on the shoto moveset , more complicated setups to practice. After that I think going to Cammy isn't a bad idea , you've gotta take what you learned and apply it to a character that has no projectile that also takes a bit more damage. That , to me, represents a healthy beginner class.

From there , I think it's safe to move to grapplers , they've got enough life and do enough damage that you are allowed a couple more mistakes. I think Zangeif is the best starting point , get used to 180/360 motions , pay even closer attention to spacing while utilizing his vskill/vtrigger to mitigate damage and open up grabbing opportunities. From him I think Laura is the next stop , faster/ gives you back a projectile and has a bit more range to her setups but can't take quite as much damage. R.Mika is a good stop after Laura , no projectile again but similar speed and range but better damage , it also forces the player to really learn how to shove opponents into the corner and take proper measures to keep them there. The mix-up queen. Finally Birdie - he's the hardest grappler if you ask me because he's simply got more variety to his moveset and vskill than the other 3 do , more buttons = more complexity but I will say if you want to mash buttons birdie isn't a bad character to do it with because he's like zangeif with more range. Utilizing the knowledge of the other 3 grapplers will help the player use birdie properly I think.

From there I think you can move on to the more technical characters - Necalli is a good start because he's a well rounded character but he forces you to learn to utilize charge moves effectively while also applying some grappler spacing since he has a command grab. From him I think it's best to move to Chun Li , one of the most combo happy characters in the game - master the art of spacing and the pressure game and push yourself to do combos with her to maximize damage. Thus we arrive at Nash , the guy with an answer for everything and some simpler combos (compared to chun) I feel he's one of the better overall characters in SFV and thanks to his moveset , much like birdie - he's scrub friendly but if you want to learn the game properly ? save him for later on when you understand more of how the other characters work and can utilize his skillset fully. The master class of technical characters if you ask me is Karin , sure much like nash and birdie she's got some scrub friendly tactics (which can be blocked easily FYI) but she also lacks a projectile and her spacing game is a bit odd , she requires finesse to utilize properly but man oh man, if you can use the previous 11 characters before getting here ? so much more opens up because you should be able to more easily appreciate Karins abilities.

Finally you've got the masterclass - these are the characters you pick when you find the other 12 boring or are looking for something different. The easiest of the bunch to use is probably Vega/CLAW but between his dual fighting styles (claw/noclaw) , command grab and leap variations - I just don't feel he's beginner friendly. Using him after learning some of what Karin has to offer though, that should open him up a bit more. From there I feel like Bison is next , not only do you need to make use of the charge lessons you've learned from Necalli and Chun Li but the spacing game with Bison is super important , proper utilization of his vskill/vtrigger can be the difference between a big win and being shut down. He's incredibly strong when properly used though and I feel , learning him 14th in line is a way to make this task simpler, not to mention the matchup knowledge you gain. The last 2 characters I feel are tied at the top end of complexity - F.A.N.G and Dhalsim - both play in a zoning playstyle but they operate at slightly different ranges and Dhalsim uses quarter circle motions while fang relies mostly on charges just like bison. I think another way to look at it - Dhalsim is constantly playing keep away , FANG looks like he's playing keep away but he actually wants the opponent to come in. It's complicated though right ? While I don't think you've got to master the whole cast or anything , I feel like learning the basics in this order will make anyone playing this game a bit stronger over all.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm over 300k in FM now after another Normal Survival; with Ryu this time. 5 out of 16 done there.

This is like MVC2 Arcade Hard...on the lowest difficulty. Which, if you never knew, was actually pretty damn hard. It's just brute force without the protection of continues. It's just embarrassing. All around. Terrible content. It's not a meaty mode. It's piano wire. Thin, but tough as hell and annoying.

Part of me thinks the people who designed this mode were delusional in thinking that it was good. The same people probably made the tutorial, thinking that was good.

Vex_

Banned
Got stunned in two of two rounds against a Chun who has clearly played fighting games much longer than I. In bronze ranking.

Ask yourself this when they do that:

Why is this guy who thinks he is so good.... STILL IN BRONZE?

Answer: Someone bopped him. And probably taunted him. He was probably like you. Just starting out, and faced an asshat. But now he moved up, and wants to pick on newer players. So in turn, he is now the gatekeeper between bronze and silver. Soon you will be like him some day lol! Taunting when you win... The cycle continues. Keep the salt flowing.

Big Brett

Answer: Someone bopped him. And probably taunted him. So in turn, he is now the gatekeeper between bronze and silver. Soon you will be like him some day lol! Taunting when you win... The cycle continues. Keep the salt flowing.

Haha this helped, thanks. I'm just finding it hard to learn from losses that hard, so the taunts really make me pissed. There's something to learn from every loss though, I suppose.

Mechazawa

Answer: Someone bopped him. And probably taunted him. He was probably like you. Just starting out, and faced an asshat. But now he moved up, and wants to pick on newer players. So in turn, he is now the gatekeeper between bronze and silver. Soon you will be like him some day lol! Taunting when you win... The cycle continues. Keep the salt flowing.

Alternatively: They bought the game yesterday.

Wish I could turn off seeing taunts. That shit boils my blood. I'm trying to learn the game.
There's no reason to take that sort of thing personally

You have the same ability to taunt, show them you don't give a fuck by returning the favor

It can be an uphill battle a lot of the time with losses but at the end of the day getting stunned should feel way worse than a taunt. That player earned it. Keep playing and eventually you'll lose less and find yourself opposite someone who just got rekt

GorillaJu

I set up a training system to practice reacting to Dhalsim's instant air teleports and it's so hard to guess in time to block that I dizzied myself twice. :lol Jesus christ

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Crimson won Cannes Winter Clash earlier today, which is a Capcom Pro Tour ranking event, Dashio is also playing Laura, and he won a Japanese tournament where Momochi, Itazan and others were playing. I think Shiro also picked up Laura, Strider 801 is playing Laura.

Basically, if you were an Abel player, you probably moved onto Laura.

You're back!

PR Rog is playing her, but I think his main is still Necalli.

Someone just won a tournament today with Laura as well, but I don't know who, missed the stream.

Mr Crimson, 801 Strider, VRyu are all very good Laura players.

Thanks a buncheon, fellows. Very curious to check out VRyu especially - his Makoto was a joy to behold.

Big Brett

Ah, okay. That actually makes me more interested in picking up a Vita. Hopefully the memory cards are actually cheap enough to buy now...

They aren't. Also the system's barely supported by Sony so I'd be weary. Mine broke a while back and I have no desire to get another.

Edzi

Okay, I've had enough. WTF can I punish against Bison? I keep losing to every single Bison who spams buttons, even the lower ranked ones.

I really wish I had more local friends to play this with. I'm wasting half my time (or probably more than half) playing online looking at loading and connecting screens. I want to play damn it.

Edzi

Inferno/Slide/HP/light wheelkick?

I think that's it?

If that's really it, then that's ridiculous. His normals seems flat out amazing, particularly his hard attacks. Even if it seems punishable, they throw out so many that I get pushed back too far to reliably do anything.

It's definitely the matchup I need the most practice with.

LegendX48

God, anxious to play more ranked but I've been forcing myself to wait since I hit bronze yesterday cause my internet is currently being throttled by silly circumstances lol (using a vonage box thingy as a router is dumb, don't do it, seriously, it slows everything down)

So my girlfriend just made me realize I've spent roughly 310 us dollars on sf5. 60 on the digital version to play at midnight on launch, 100 on the collectors edition for the ryu statue and 150 on the rap 4 arcade stick. What have I done?! What's the most you've guys have spent on a single game?

Sheroking

If that's really it, then that's ridiculous. His normals seems flat out amazing, particularly his hard attacks. Even if it seems punishable, they throw out so many that I get pushed back too far to reliably do anything.

It's definitely the matchup I need the most practice with.

First rule of facing Bison: down back.

Check his dashes, don't let him run up on you. If you get a knockdown, harrass the ever loving shit out of him. He has no wake-up at all, except maybe wake-up super.

Get out of my head!

I like it up here. Spacious.

Edzi

First rule of facing Bison: down back.

Check his dashes, don't let him run up on you. If you get a knockdown, harrass the ever loving shit out of him. He has no wake-up at all, except maybe wake-up super.

I like it up here. Spacious.

I can never react to teleport dash through normals into grab. -_-

So my girlfriend just made me realize I've spent roughly 310 us dollars on sf5. 60 on the digital version to play at midnight on launch, 100 on the collectors edition for the ryu statue and 150 on the rap 4 arcade stick. What have I done?! What's the most you've guys have spent on a single game?

It doesn't just stop there. Just wait till the DLC costume comes out...

Sheroking

I can never react to teleport dash through normals into grab. -_-

Experience and practice.

Set the dummy to dash in your face and time some buttons. You just gotta check him the same way you got to check Sims teleport or he's in your face mashing knee all match.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Finally at 1k, I think 2k is what I could get to in about two weeks (new matchups are wrecking me still), now that ranked mode is more stable (tournament players hanging around 4k)

Vex_

Banned

If you're rich then you're rich. Nothing to be ashamed of.

LegendX48

I wish I had that kinda cash lol

Would've gotten the collector's edition instead of the standard. As for most I've ever spent on a single game, somewhere around a hundredish for CEs and/or double dips lol

Filth

Anyone wanna play a low skilled vega? I have like an hour for matches. I'm east coast newyork. Battle lounge invite me. I'll be doing ranked until then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom