• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Scotia

Banned
Apparently the patch also added two more character slots and a stage slot:

CvojSa1WYAAELka.jpg

CvofuacW8AEtU4N.jpg

heavy-breathing-cat-animated--102387.gif

it's probably nothing

So if I were to bet... I'd say this is an AE situation where the Japanese arcade release is going to have 2 exclusive characters for a couple months before they're added in the console season 2.

I like Ryu's outfit but why not give it Ken instead?
It makes zero sense for Ryu to be dressed like that, and Ken needs new costumes more than Ryu.

Actually the same could be said about Chun's costume going to Laura (though I won't complain about that one as she's my main).
Capcom hates Ken

Neoxon

CvojSa1WYAAELka.jpg

CvofuacW8AEtU4N.jpg
The stage is likely Bison's SFII stage. As for the two slots, if I had to guess, they're probably for the first two Season 2 characters.

So if I were to bet... I'd say this is an AE situation where the Japanese arcade release is going to have 2 exclusive characters for a couple months before they're added in the console season 2.
That would depend on how "customized" the arcade version is compared to the PC version it's based on. If they made a ton of changes to fit arcades, I could see them beta-testing characters in arcades early on and releasing them for PS4 & PC players later.

CvojSa1WYAAELka.jpg

CvofuacW8AEtU4N.jpg

This likely means nothing, they just wanted to make it more organized or whatever reason programmers would put it there.

Or Capcom's about to drop a bomb and announce 2 characters coming before the end of the year.

Or S2's only gonna have 2 new characters :(

Neoxon

This likely means nothing, they just wanted to make it more organized or whatever reason programmers would put it there.

Or Capcom's about to drop a bomb and announce 2 characters coming before the end of the year.

It's probably not the latter of the three. Personally, the first scenario sounds more likely, but I do see the value of Capcom dropping a genuine surprise out of nowhere for the sake of hype (which would be nice, considering that the entire first season of DLC characters leaked before the game came out).

That would depend on how "customized" the arcade version is compared to the PC version it's based on. If they made a ton of changes to fit arcades, I could see them beta-testing characters in arcades early on & releasing them for PS4 & PC players later.

It would certainly give players more of a reason to play the game in arcades

Neoxon

It would certainly give players more of a reason to play the game in arcades
Eh, having the game in arcades would be enough justification for the Japanese. As much as I'd love for the States to get some official SFV cabinets, it feels like the arcade version being made from a variant of the PC version was a move to appease the Japanese players.

Eh, having the game in arcades would be enough justification for the Japanese. As much as I'd love for the States to get some official SFV cabinets, it feels like the arcade version being made from a variant of the PC version was a move to appease the Japanese players.

All I'm hoping for is that maybe my Round 1 might get a SFV cabinet sometime.

Some Round 1's are getting Tekken 7 by the end of the year apparently.

lupinko

I hope Decapre is further completed (and made complementary).

I really want season 2 to have like 8 or 10 characters, especially since it looks like SFV is Capcom's only fighting game this generation. They may as well dump everything into it.

vulva

I hope Decapre is further completed (and made complementary).

I really want season 2 to have like 8 or 10 characters, especially since it looks like SFV is Capcom's only fighting game this generation. They may as well dump everything into it.

ya, linn kurosawa should be in

ArjanN

I tend to disagree actually. You'll never see StarCraft II players, for example, claim that their 1v1 ladder MMR is meaningless, or that someone is just (Grand) Master because they grinded a bunch.

I don't think the way it's represented in SFV is a direct correlation to skill level (due to things like latency, bad matchmaking, rage quits, etc.), but I do think it gives you a general idea of one's skill at the game more than not.

I guess the difference with SFV, though, is that there are way more players who will play locals more than online, so even though someone might be Silver, they could still be one of the best players in the world, while you absolutely wouldn't see that happening in SCII.

While I agree with this post in general, isn't smurfing pretty common in Starcraft actually?

FluxWaveZ

While I agree with this post in general, isn't smurfing pretty common in Starcraft actually?

Certainly not "common," seeing how you need to purchase game licenses for completely new accounts if you want to smurf. SCII does such a fantastic job of matching players against opponents of their skill level 99% of the time, and quickly too.

lupinko

If Capcom is really lazy (and awesome at the same time).

Season 2 could start with Decapre, Necro, Hinata, Tiffany with Gill as the new arcade mode's boss.

Season 2 could start with Decapre, Necro, Hinata, Tiffany with Gill as the new arcade mode's boss.

Those Hinata and Tiffany models are way too low poly to be playable characters... even if they decide to make Ed a playable character I hope they'll add a lot more detail to him over his story mode model.

Oh gosh, if Tiffany made it into this game I would die. I've been craving her in a new fighting game since like, CvS2.

lupinko

Those Hinata and Tiffany models are way too low poly to be playable characters... even if they decide to make Ed a playable character I hope they'll add a lot more detail to him over his story mode model.

So? They have something to work with, look at low poly Hugo in Super. They eventually got around to making Hugo in SFxT and Ultra.

Also it's just to start off a season 2, not be the full season 2.

Ed would be cool but if we're talking lazy then Hinata and Tiffany are easier since Capcom doesn't have to come up with new playstyles or movelists for those two in a hurry.

So? They have something to work with, look at low poly Hugo in Super. They eventually got around to making Hugo in SFxT and Ultra.

Also it's just to start off a season 2, not be the full season 2.

Ed would be cool but if we're talking lazy then Hinata and Tiffany are easier since Capcom doesn't have to come up with new playstyles or movelists for those two in a hurry.

I highly doubt Hugo's SFxT model was built off of his background SF4 model.

The playable character models are high detail done in Zbrush.... low detail background assets are just done in Maya, Blender, Max, etc. It's literally faster to start the model from scratch in Zbrush then try to add detail onto the background model (which are usually disproportional)

Also you couldn't just drop a Rival Schools movelist into this game.... they had air combos, team attacks, and a lot of other things that would have to be totally overhauled. I mean look how much they even had to change Birdie, Mika, and Karin to work in this engine...

lupinko

I highly doubt Hugo's SFxT model was built off of his background SF4 model.

The playable character models are high detail done in Zbrush.... low detail background assets are just done in Maya, Blender, Max, etc. It's literally faster to start the model from scratch in Zbrush then try to add detail onto the background model (which are usually disproportional)

Also you couldn't just drop a Rival Schools movelist into this game.... they had air combos, team attacks, and a lot of other things that would have to be totally overhauled. I mean look how much they even had to change Birdie, Mika, and Karin to work in this engine...
They have something to work with, Kyosuke was rebalanced to fit a SF based game in CvS2.

Ed is completely new and requires more thought.

I'm not saying no to Ed, I'm just saying I want a bajillion characters.

thats the key there. Not stressing...

This is why I don't play ranked as much, just knowing something is "on the line" gives me anxiety and I can't play as well as I can in a lobby. Ironically, I would probably be better off going to tourney.

But yeah progression is just about playing a little every day and always learning. It helps to play good players often as well. Random will always get you sometimes, but you can progress to the level of it being like 1/20 matches or even higher by just improving. Especially now without FADC. Randomness doesn't get you as far in SFV. You have to get hit a few times with it at least, and then you have to question is the guy really a random scrub or an evil genius aka Eita lol..

Yeah I really need to work on not letting matches get to me. I've not been that annoyed in a while.

He was stealing turns after standing heavy kick, but only maybe 1/2 of the time. In block strings he was mashing DP out of them, but again only 1/2 of the time. He also switched his gimmicks between rounds. So in one round he'd be doing that, then in the next he'd do light tatsu then immediately DP. It was like he was going through some sort of routine of bullshit gimmicks. Some next level flowchart nonsense.

It didn't help that it put me on tilt too, causing me to DP him and do stupid stuff myself. So that didn't help. Though most of that stupid stuff was pretty effective on him since he was always pressing something anyway.

mbpm1

Yeah I really need to work on not letting matches get to me. I've not been that annoyed in a while.

He was stealing turns after standing heavy kick, but only maybe 1/2 of the time. In block strings he was mashing DP out of them, but again only 1/2 of the time. He also switched his gimmicks between rounds. So in one round he'd be doing that, then in the next he'd do light tatsu then immediately DP. It was like he was going through some sort of routine of bullshit gimmicks. Some next level flowchart nonsense.

It didn't help that it put me on tilt too, causing me to DP him and do stupid stuff myself. So that didn't help. Though most of that stupid stuff was pretty effective on him since he was always pressing something anyway.

People definitely build up a level of flowchart as time goes on. I have one set myself that I go through on people who I think aren't familiar with the matchup

Blueblur1

I'm pumped. All that stuff would really help with appealing to non-hardcore fans.

I still think another huge problem is player retention. They should overhaul Demonstrations and/or replace it with a robust tutorial mode. If they attempted to teach players and make it a rewarding experience more folks may play online and stick with the game. I can think of so many things they can do. (Honestly they can start by incorporating Gief's Gym into the game.)

Top Bottom