• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Edzi

Wildly varying degrees of skill and the SFVGAF community isn't very big. Also we live all over the place. Latency would be an issue too.

I think we're big enough to hold some fun casual tourneys. A good chunk of us are from NA, so at the very least we could get a regional one going.

I know they did several for Tekken when I played TTT2, you're talking online tournament right ?

There is a weekly ranking thread in SRK forums and an online tournament next week on the same forum.

Yea an online tournament. It doesn't have to be massive. 16-32 guys(or gals). I guess you can put a league qualifier like maybe you have to be super silver. Idk I just thought it'd be fun.

The skill level discrepancy would be an issue. I'm in NA but I wouldn't be able to do much of anything aside from filling a slot.

Maybe have one for gold and up and another for silver and down?

Xeteh

I think we're big enough to hold some fun casual tourneys. A good chunk of us are from NA, so at the very least we could get a regional one going.

The skill level discrepancy would be an issue. I'm in NA but I wouldn't be able to do much of anything aside from filling a slot.

Edzi

That's the point of a tournament though. It could still be fun, and we could help each other by critiquing if we stream the matches, especially if it becomes a common/weekly thing.

It could also be possible to do brackets based on your league, though I think it'd be more fun if everyone could jump in.

Ketch

As someone whose organized an online GAF tournament in the past, maybe just start with a GAF night first. See if we can fill a battle lounge consistently for a couple weeks and then talk about doing something more structured.

Tournaments are great, but people have different schedules and either just don't show up, or bow out early which ruins it for everyone. And I know everybody is like "that won't happen" or "I would never do that" but trust me, unless you want to be super strict in a fun community tournament that's how it'll go down.

Does anyone have any experience with the razer sabertooth?
I'm getting tired of my face buttons becoming sticky/worn out, so mechanical buttons sounds great.

edit: I participated in ME3mp tournaments years ago, and these were just organised by players on bioware social forums, the key is to just give ample time so people can coordinate.
I mean SFCrash was once a week, you don't have to do fights daily.

Neoxon

Finally made it to Platinum. Where do I sign up for Evo????
1396626258653.jpg

Remind me not to piss you off.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Online tournaments would be fun, but sometimes it's irritating to get people to adhere to a schedule for it.

I don't care for Balrog at all, but is it just me or does Balrog not have one of the top themes of SFV? It is a legitimately hardcore theme. Can't get enough of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtkhTW5ptew
There's only the one grappler who genuinely needs buffs, and he's at the tippy top of the first page of this thread.
They could rework Mika so she isn't so dependent on her current corner focused gameplay. Laura, Alex and Gief wouldn't break the game if they got a bit better.
As a Karin player, she is plenty BS.
How? Is it the 900 health/stun, the non-3 frame jab, meter dependent DP or her overheads that can all be stuffed by the scrubbiest crouching light punches?
It's funny to see people still complain about her so much despite her being one of the better balanced characters.
No one likes being put in the corner lol.
Someone like Alex or Balrog though, once they get stuck in the corner, they are freaking staying there till the match is over. And since the poster who originally was hatin on the wrestling goddess in this thread was an Alex player, I'm assuming that's the real reason for the hate. That not only is she a tough character to play against, the matchup is definitely in her favour.

I mean it's been 6 months, we've kinda gotten used to the whole "she carries you to the corner and kills you routine" so it's pointless to keep getting salty over that.
I've recently started using more V-reversals, so I might try playing Alex again if that goes well, but I'd rather fight Mika than most of the top tier any day of the week.
So is Alex any good? I kinda feel like he's been forgotten. Seems like he also has a lot of special moves at his disposal.

Been digging his design and moveset lately and was thinking about focusing on him.
He has a lot of specials, but his damage is low and his defensive game is weak. Getting momentum with him is also hard because your reads have to be perfect to get those powerbombs and stun damage.
So just like SF3 Alex.

If you liked SF3 Alex then he's pretty much the same here. He's good at what he does with his long range normals and decent pressure and mobility but his defense is sorely lacking.
His overhead game and AA capabilities are far worse than in SFV. I'd say he has less forward momentum without spiral DDT as well. His SFV stomp and stun gun also pale in comparison to his 3S stomps with crossups, air hitboxes and EX auto-tracking.
Laura is the worst character design is Street Fighter history. I didn't think they could top Fuerte, but they pulled it off.

Her boob-o-licious design, made by and for the terminally thirsty. Her coin-flip vortex horseshit. Her VO - the worst and most grating I've ever heard. Her characterization - an annoying moron with no real motivations or purpose.

I couldn't help but laugh at her role in the story, too. Randomly running around the world for no reason just so it could lead the actual relevant characters to Brazil, so Ken could impress Sean.

0/10.
best post
I should have been Ryu from the start.
Everyone joins the Ryu army sooner or later.

Scotia

Banned
Laura is the worst character design is Street Fighter history. I didn't think they could top Fuerte, but they pulled it off.

Her boob-o-licious design, made by and for the terminally thirsty. Her coin-flip vortex horseshit. Her VO - the worst and most grating I've ever heard. Her characterization - an annoying moron with no real motivations or purpose.

I couldn't help but laugh at her role in the story, too. Randomly running around the world for no reason just so it could lead the actual relevant characters to Brazil, so Ken could impress Sean.

0/10.

I really like Laura, but yeah, I feel Sean could have easily filled her role and provided more to the narrative in terms of the story.

Disagree about Laura being the worst SF design. Honestly don't know how you can say that while characters like Blanka, Rufus and fucking Fuerte exist. She's not even in the top 10 worst designs.

0/10.

latest

Shadoken

I
How? Is it the 900 health/stun, the non-3 frame jab, meter dependent DP or her overheads that can all be stuffed by the scrubbiest crouching light punches?

This is a blantant lie , Also her overhead is pretty safe unlike others who are at -5,-6. Being at -4 means only Jabs will punish it and it can be spaced outside of that reach.
Also if you are doing an overhead when someone is mashing LPs you are doing the wrong move.Most OHs in the game will lose to Jabs because of their huge startup.

And having a DP in this game is a huge blessing , regardless of meter or no meter.

This is a blantant lie , Also her overhead is pretty safe unlike others who are at -5,-6. Being at -4 means only Jabs will punish it and it can be spaced outside of that reach.

Also if you are doing an overhead when someone is mashing LPs you are doing the wrong move.Most OHs in the game will lose to Jabs because of their huge startup.
Forgot about her crouching jab and yeah, her overhead game is pretty weak for the most part. Forward medium kick can be stuffed by most jabs/crouching normals despite looking like she should be off the ground (but it does have a surprising amount of range tbf), Ressenha is not safe at all and all her Rekka overheads are easily stuffed or they leave you very vulnerable (hello overhead command grab).
And having a DP in this game is a huge blessing , regardless of meter or no meter.
Far from something to make her a "BS" character, though. Her EX Ressenha isn't even one of the top five reversals. Probably might not even crack the top eight lol.
I never did play 3s, his parry in V is literally crack to me.
Parries in general are crack.

Edgeward

Scheduling with someone to do your online ranking/tournament match is usually a fucking hassle. People just can't find 15-20 minutes to run a 2/3 set for some reason

Xeteh

I wish I had stuck to fighting games when I was a kid. None of my friends played them and the only active arcade was super far from my house. My mechanics might be less shit if I had kept at it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Her crouching jab is 3 frames and she's got 950 stun.

edit: Sorry, missed the reply.

Forgot about her crouching jab and yeah, her overhead game is pretty weak for the most part. Forward medium kick can be stuffed by most jabs/crouching normals despite looking like she should be off the ground (but it does have a surprising amount of range tbf), Ressenha is not safe at all and all her Rekka overheads are easily stuffed or they leave you very vulnerable (hello overhead command grab).

Far from something to make her a "BS" character, though. Her EX Ressenha isn't even one of the top five reversals. Probably might not even crack the top eight lol.
Well those are her weaknesses, but she has many strong points.
She has great normals, quite a few are very bufferable, she is very fast, many ways around fireballs, a very good reset, many meaty setups, her st.lk leaves her +3 which essentially creates a 50/50 situation, her shoulder pressure is devious (people actually want to trade with it), she has good 1-meter, 2-meter combos and can combo into super from any situation.

Xeteh

I know a bunch of people will disagree with me but the best boxer in a fighting game (and the only thing good about Tekken 4) is Steve Fox.

Whales

Banned
"@StreetFighter: We're aware of users exploiting cheats to unlock in-game entitlements. These users will be identified and subject to an account review."

I assume this is only for the people who did it on ps4 and not PC?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
"@StreetFighter: We're aware of users exploiting cheats to unlock in-game entitlements. These users will be identified and subject to an account review."

PS4 users who used the exploit to unlock premium skins.

Xeteh

That is what most of us are assuming. Capcom has had months to react to the Survival mods on PC, they didn't do anything until a couple days after the PS4 exploit was made public and considering that let people get premium stuff without paying, its the logical jump.

Never played Tekken 4, but Dudley and Akihiko are my favorites.

Akihiko is decent but idk, Steve Fox kept me playing Tekken 4 for a while. He was a lot of fun.

Her crouching jab is 3 frames and she's got 950 stun.

edit: Sorry, missed the reply.
Got me with her stun.
Well those are her weaknesses, but she has many strong points.
She has great normals, quite a few are very bufferable, she is very fast, many ways around fireballs, a very good reset, many meaty setups, her st.lk leaves her +3 which essentially creates a 50/50 situation, her shoulder pressure is devious (people actually want to trade with it), she has good 1-meter, 2-meter combos and can combo into super from any situation.
Yeah, I've started using her command dash where I used to use her regular dash and it has been improving my pressure quite nicely. Haven't used her Orochi as much, though. I definitely appreciate that pretty much all her combo pathways lead to CA. I suck ass at doing 2xQCF supers on 2P side, but it's very manageable if you land a mujinkyaku or you have V-Trigger available.
Balrog has one of the top themes period. The tracks from SF2 are pretty much all godlike compositions, and even then Balrog's theme went hard.
I disliked most SF4 tracks, but I did like Fei Long's SF4 theme. Looks like this might be another one of those situations where I like the theme of a character I'll probably barely touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTLwCx6spkU

Whales

Banned
Yes we discussed that in the last pages of OT4, it's most likely because of the ps4 exploit.

PS4 users who used the exploit to unlock premium skins.

That is what most of us are assuming. Capcom has had months to react to the Survival mods on PC, they didn't do anything until a couple days after the PS4 exploit was made public and considering that let people get premium stuff without paying, its the logical jump.

Akihiko is decent but idk, Steve Fox kept me playing Tekken 4 for a while. He was a lot of fun.

Yeah but couldn't people on PC mod their characters to try out the premium costumes too or it didn't work online?

Anyway, I don't really care too much, but if they do hit Ps4 players who used the survival cheat ( and ONLY that) and not do it to the PC guys who did the same then it's pretty unfair..

Xeteh

Yeah but couldn't people on PC mod their characters to try out the premium costumes too or it didn't work online?

Anyway, I don't really care too much, but if they do hit Ps4 players who used the survival cheat ( and ONLY that) and not do it to the PC guys who did the same then it's pretty unfair..

I can't imagine Capcom could track what mod files people used on PC. Some people just reskinned characters with amateur mods while others just moved in various skins from the game, not really sure if they could tell since those (i assume) just replaced existing costumes during character selection.

The problem with the PS4 one was that it told Capcom's servers that the player was purchasing the costumes but they didn't pay for them. It unlocked the costumes for their CFN account.

I disliked most SF4 tracks, but I did like Fei Long's SF4 theme. Looks like this might be another one of those situations where I like the theme of a character I'll probably barely touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTLwCx6spkU

Fei long's sf4 theme is one of the few rearrangements that stuck very close to the original SF2 composition, I suspect they finally were able to make it sound how it was intended without the limitations of older hardware. But in cases of themes like balrog (snes), there really isn't much you can do to "improve" it, most of theme are fairly genius compositions.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, but you could still link to a better rendition for comparison. The console versions of SF2 all sounded like garbage.

Soulstar

Another weakness Karin has is her anti-airs. They are not the worst ever but they are definitely not her strong suit which is a little sad because I remember her alpha 3 s.HP being a really good anti-air.

I know a bunch of people will disagree with me but the best boxer in a fighting game (and the only thing good about Tekken 4) is Steve Fox.

Never played Tekken 4, but Dudley and Akihiko are my favorites.

Those are all pretty good boxing characters but my favorite definitely has to be Burai from Big Bang Beat. Unfortunately not many people played that game.

Pompadour

I like Steve Fox because his design seems to cram as many boxer moves from anime and other fighting games into one character. He has almost everything.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Another weakness Karin has is her anti-airs. They are not the worst ever but they are definitely not her strong suit which is a little sad because I remember her alpha 3 s.HP being a really good anti-air.

They're so unreliable, I really don't trust any of them

I can't imagine Capcom could track what mod files people used on PC. Some people just reskinned characters with amateur mods while others just moved in various skins from the game, not really sure if they could tell since those (i assume) just replaced existing costumes during character selection.
They definitely can't, there is no way to tell.

As you said, as long as you're not using anything to grant your account entitlements (which only seems to be on PS4 atm) you SHOULD be fine.

That said, SF5's ost is pretty damn fantastic; its rearrangements are on point and original stuff (like beach, alley, hillside etc.) are all easily just as good.

Top Bottom