• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZangBa

I'm still hoping for Alex over here, he has to have a decent chance of making it. Vega is old news and lame, come on.

KAL2006

Banned
The game is missing some playstyles.

Zoner (although it seems like the entire cast has ways to negate any zoning lol)
Rekka
PureGrappler (Birdie is good but we need a imma get in yo face type too)
PureChargeType (Vega is apparently a motion character now?)
ZoningPokes (Sim)

Zoner - Urien (charged fireballs in different angles as well as Aegis reflector)

Rekka - Feilong with some new moves to make him fresh. Makes sense for the character selection screen above Cammy on the green section. Also Hong Kong stage is already revealed.

Zoning Pokes - Dhalsim is the obvious answer

Pure Grappler - We already have Birdie

Pure Charge - We already have Dictator

You mean they'll keep it to A3 chars. ?
No idea, just an observation of what they've shown so far :p

Was Vega in Alpha 3?

Skilletor already answered, but here's the character select from A3 just to back it up and show who else was at the A3 party:
167481-street-fighter-alpha-3-playstation-screenshot-character-selections.png
Don't think I missed anyone but they all seem to be there.

Chances of getting Ibuki or Makoto in the initial 16 seem pretty low
While I like Ibuki I have no hope of her being in the core. She'll definitely be DLC I'd imagine as she's always been fairly well liked if the number of comics and merch featuring her are any indication :3

Is it true that in the early stages of SF3, Sakura was supposed to in the roster? I think Capcom realizes that she is too important to not include anymore.

Momentary

Banned
I also really hope Eisbahn is one of the new characters. His design (from what I saw) looked awesome.

You can see him on the billboard behind Nash here;

P4YYcPx.png

First time hearing about this. Has there ever been an Ice element character in Street Fighter?

kirblar

The 4 non-SF2 characters being a 1-each of 0/1/3/4 wouldn't surprise me.

The character wouldn't be named Eisbahnn - but I definitely think that's a future ice character.

So... as an aside to the fuerte arguments, am I right in thinking that outside of newcomer Necali, all currently revealed characters were in Alpha 3? If so I wonder if that's a coincidence or not.

:3 <( ? )

Well almost everyone was in alpha 3. Before Vega's reveal, the observation was that the cast were all from Alpha 2. Alpha 3 is less of a distinction.

What's to note is Vega is back to being blonde, which is like his Alpha 3 design.

Well almost everyone was in alpha 3. Before Vega's reveal, the observation was that the cast were all from Alpha 2. Alpha 3 is less of a distinction.

What's to note is Vega is back to being blonde, which is like his Alpha 3 design.
I suppose with a cast of 31(?) characters, it would be pretty likely that they'd be in it I guess ^.^;
That said, all they'd have to have done to break that chain though is show a single SF4 or SF3 character :eek:

Scotia

Banned
a) Because of the Chunnel
b) Because it's a teaser for a future character.

I do think Eisbahn is a new character. I could be wrong but I have a good feeling about him being one of the new four.

EDIT: I doubt his name's Eisbahn, it's just something to call him for now.

Wiseblade

An ice character would be a nice change of pace considering how much Fire there is in SF in general.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02823/nazi_2823355b.jpg[IMG]

"EL FUERTE IS NOT A STREET FIGHTER CHARACTER"[/QUOTE]
Wait, who are you agreeing with?

Please elaborate. Especially on the "boring to watch" part. That's definitely the most baffling part.

Well, it's a bit hard to explain exactly why something is boring. Nothing about his playstyle is interesting or exciting to me. Even the high-level Fuerte we saw at Evo just left me bored and waiting for the match to be over. From my perspective as a viewer, so little of Fuerte's gameplan is influenced by the opponents actions. It just seems so one-note and braindead. It might not actually be either of those things, but that's the impression I get from watching Fuerte matches. For me, he just isn't fun to watch.

Since the phrase "his design sucks" is also too vague, I thought I'd elaborate:
The luchadore archetype usually produces characters that have very flashy and visually interesting characters. Usually with colorful and flashy costumes. This wasn't exactly what we got with El Fuerte. He has a very grounded appearance, which, to me, is pretty boring. I think his third(?) alt mostly mitigates that because it's a more intricate costume. I also have some complaints about his personality. But, they just boil down to the fact that he is a comedic character that isn't funny or endearing to me.

Wiseblade

Not the SF nazis. El Fuerte is fun as hell. Spabdaddy, iPeru, and PepeDay 4 lyfe. Nothing is tastier than landing those RSF reps in a match.
BUT WHAT ABOUT MEEEEE

From my perspective as a viewer, so little of Fuerte's gameplan is influenced by the opponents actions. It just seems so one-note and braindead.

That's like the opposite of the reality. None of Fuerte's mixups options are comprehensive and only a couple are safe, so successfully keeping an opponent pinned down is more down to understanding what the opposing character can do and anticipating what the opposing player wants to do.

Since the phrase "his design sucks" is also too vague, I thought I'd elaborate:
The luchadore archetype usually produces characters that have very flashy and visually interesting characters. Usually with colorful and flashy costumes. This wasn't exactly what we got with El Fuerte. He has a very grounded appearance, which, to me, is pretty boring. I think his third(?) alt mostly mitigates that because it's a more intricate costume. I also have some complaints about his personality. But, they just boil down to the fact that he is a comedic character that isn't funny or endearing to me.
Fuerte's flash is in his move set. The guyhas a command grab where he spins around your neck like a propellor and launches you into the air. How is that nor flashy?

That's like the opposite of the reality. None of Fuerte's mixups options are comprehensive and only a couple are safe, so successfully keeping an opponent pinned down is more down to understanding what the opposing character can do and anticipating what the opposing player wants to do.

It just seems so one-note and braindead. It might not actually be either of those things, but that's the impression I get from watching Fuerte matches. For me, he just isn't fun to watch.

More to the point, what does a Fuerte player do when their opponent guesses right and punishes them for failing an unsafe mixup? If the Fuerte play I've seen is anything to go by, they just attempt another mixup. A lot of the matches I've seen amount to very similar things happening over and over again.

Fuerte's flash is in his move set. The guyhas a command grab where he spins around your neck like a propellor and launches you into the air. How is that nor flashy?

I understand that. I don't think that's an excuse to stick with a toned-down visual design. Why not a flashy moveset to match a flashy costume?

Shadoken

Fuerte is nothing like Guy/Maki , like seriously having one similar move does not make you similar. Fuerte is a random as fuk BS character. Guy isnt going to Knock you down and start mixing up his Run->overhead / Slide. Its waaaay to slow and unsafe.

I keep seeing similar comparisons with Necro/Sim ..etc
Having a move in common does not make you a similar playstyle. Sim probably has more in common with Honda/Rog than someone like Necro.

Pompadour

Is it true that in the early stages of SF3, Sakura was supposed to in the roster? I think Capcom realizes that she is too important to not include anymore.

I've never heard of that but Dan of all people was going to be the only returning character. I kind of wish they did that just for how ballsy it would be.

Wiseblade

More to the point, what does a Fuerte player do when their opponent guesses right and punishes them for failing an unsafe mixup? If the Fuerte play I've seen is anything to go by, they just attempt another mixup. A lot of the matches I've seen amount to very similar things happening over and over again.
What else is he supposed to do, start playing a zoning game with the projectiles he doesn't have?

I understand that. I don't think that's an excuse to stick with a toned-down visual design. Why not a flashy moveset to match a flashy costume?
You don't see an issue with the most mobile character in the franchise having a potentially distracting outfit? It wouldn't really be in keeping with the asthethic style of the series, either.

Imm0rt4l

El Fuerte is fucking trash for sure. That said, if he were to return I feel the nature of sfv's mechanics would make him less obnoxious and possibly "more honest".

What else is he supposed to do, start playing a zoning game with the projectiles he doesn't have?

No, people are playing him correctly. Unfortunately, his gameplan was designed to revolve around attempting very similar mixups over and over again. Which is why I have complains about his design. If I thought people were playing him wrong, I'd have complaints about Fuerte players, not the character. But, that isn't the case. I dislike the way he was designed.

You don't see an issue with the most mobile character in the franchise having a potentially distracting outfit? It wouldn't really be in keeping with the asthethic style of the series, either.

Is his alt 3 potentially distracting? I don't think so. It's a much better looking costume and is more fitting of his luchadore persona and flashy moveset.

People can't play against the character and would rather lash out in anger than learn how to counter him
Nope, took a lot of time to practice against elf, had a good friend on PSN who taught me how to defend against him. When to FA, when you can just back dash or forward dash on wake-up in regards to the spacing of his splash. baiting U2 out for big damage etc...it still comes down to some guessing, and it's completely annoying. I guess the top expert players haven't taken the time to learn the MU either and are just salty because the annoyance for the character is in no way just on the casual/mid-tier level.

Seriously, what is with the hate?
guessing in a fighting game over and over is annoying?

And honestly, not trying to insult people who love playing with him. I'm sure his stop and go mind games can be quite satisfying. But to not acknowledge the derpiness of the character for lack of a better term, well, I'd have to conclude you are just being biased, many have expressed negativity towards the playstyle at each level of play, including Ibuki.

Pejo

I also really hope Eisbahn is one of the new characters. His design (from what I saw) looked awesome.

You can see him on the billboard behind Nash here;

P4YYcPx.png

Oh damn I love characters with ice powers, and I love that design. If he ends up actually being a character, I think I found my new main.
(as long as he's not a charge character)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom