• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Sports Costume and Free 30,000FM

Hyun Sai

Capcom was very clever. Of course it's not the male who got the most revealing sport costume and the female with the football attire.

At least they got the "it's like real life" justification to have Ibuki showing even more skin than the swimsuit (and any Laura costume for that matters), while people deemed "boring" the possibility of Rashid in a speedo.

Well done ! That's obviously what the base wants, and they won't get flak for it.

sibarraz

Banned
In sf iv it triggered me that not all the cast has the same amount of costumes, but at least they were constant according to their release date.

This game is really a mess in that aspect. At least Ibuki costume is really cool, I will buy it.

btw, from which country is rashid? does the soccer costume match the one from his country like laura does?

Ryce

I don't mind the costume disparity. 75% of the SFIV costumes looked like hot garbage because each set had to be pumped out for 40 characters. Even the thematically stupid SFV costumes look well-made.

sibarraz

Banned
I don't mind the costume disparity. 75% of the SFIV costumes looked like hot garbage because each set had to be pumped out for 40 characters. Even the thematically stupid SFV costumes look well-made.

kenaltcostume.jpg

nothing in sf iv is worse than that

Pompadour

Yeah, I don't mind costume disparity either mostly because it has saved me from myself. If they made as many Balrog costumes as they did Chun-Li costumes I'd be broke.

I just wish the disparity wasn't so egregious. Capcom should make an effort in giving costumes to the launch characters that have only three. At this point that's FANG, Birdie, and Dhalsim?

Ryce

kenaltcostume.jpg

It looks dumb with that haircut and dopey select screen face, but the clothing is well-textured and modeled, which is my point -- a lot of the SFIV costumes look like high school art projects. The asset quality for most of the animal and Halloween costumes is abysmal.

kikiribu

It looks dumb with that haircut and dopey select screen face, but the clothing is well-textured and modeled, which is my point -- a lot of the SFIV costumes look like high school art projects. The asset quality for most of the animal and Halloween costumes is abysmal.
I agree with this but "nostalgia" will prevent people from seeing this as usual. Everything about every iteration of SF4 was nauseating to me though. I'm glad that game is dead. Still can't believe they canned King Cobra for Rufus. Shit game.

Devil

I'd buy so many costumes I'd probably never use if they were priced at like 1-2€. I think 4€ is way too much. The usual price range for a whole character in the genre is between 4-6€. An outfit shouldn't touch that.

Why is the guy wearing a jacket??? That's not how you Soccer!!! No soccer team in the history of anything has ever worn a jacket during a game. Especially one that's not even zipped up!

Leave it to Capcom to put unnecessary extra clothing on the male character only. Jesus.

sibarraz

Banned

To be fair, by the time than both sets were released, Capcom was already in autopilot mode with ultra, even including those cross tekken stages that already look out of place compared to the original ones

But for the most part, the costumes from vanilla and super were pretty great even without counting the price which was more cost effective.

At least if Capcom is going to release 3 premium costumes on different batches, at least try to aim for parity, there is no reason why Dhalsim or Bison have so little costumes while chun li has tons of them

joe2187

Banned
Why is the guy wearing a jacket??? That's not how you Soccer!!! No soccer team in the history of anything has ever worn a jacket during a game. Especially one that's not even zipped up!

Leave it to Capcom to put unnecessary extra clothing on the male character only. Jesus.

The code will probably take the jacket off.

kenaltcostume.jpg

1f713ab56d72b4ce9ed0akwzle.jpg
100628-stetson-18laj4.jpg

It even spawned a joke tournament at EVO just because of how bad it was.

In sf iv it triggered me that not all the cast has the same amount of costumes, but at least they were constant according to their release date.

This game is really a mess in that aspect. At least Ibuki costume is really cool, I will buy it.

btw, from which country is rashid? does the soccer costume match the one from his country like laura does?

I don't think he has an official country. The official team of the UAE wears white or red though, unless I'm mistaken.

kirblar

Christmas Elvis Ken is hilarious.

You get 5-6K FM a week for free if you log in. Two weeks and it's a free costume, wait a little more and it's almost half a stage.
I don't think he has an official country. The official team of the UAE wears white or red though, unless I'm mistaken.
He's pretty blatantly from whatever SF's Dubai equivalent is but they're deliberately non-specific about his origins because of the thorny politics in the region.

I disagree strongly.
It may have been the case for earlier costume packs for SFIV, but the ones for Ultra (Summer, Wild, and Horror) had relatively few "garbage" costumes, but many good or even great costumes.

Overall the costume release schedule in V is pretty disappointing compared to IV, especially when you consider that almost half of the costume-pack costumes are no longer on sale or will be taken off sale at some point.

eh, better off waiting until the character passes get discounted to 10$ and just using the FM for stages and the few costumes that are available for FM purchase.
Do they even do season pass discount? Last sales I think they only give discount for games+season pass. The stand alone season pass is not discounted.

Wait, you're telling me the world wasn't ready for Cowboy Ken? there was far worse in that game surely.

Now I think about it, shades of Shanghai Noon with that Ken

kunonabi

Do they even do season pass discount? Last sales I think they only give discount for games+season pass. The stand alone season pass is not discounted.

I bought the character pass for 10$ a few months ago or so. I actually had all but one of the characters already but since I wanted Alex's battle costume it still ended up being the better deal since the costume alone is like 4$ anyway. I basically got a character and 6 costumes for roughly the price of 3 costumes. Had I not bought any dlc characters with fight money it would have been an even better value and I could have spent the FM on stages and costumes that are FM only.

Buying characters with FM is honestly the worst way to spend FM.

Mista Koo

Rashid's is easily the best though. Not only is the costume itself amazing, but it's just another example of how much Capcom really cares about ME representation. I say that as an Arab-American myself that otherwise doesn't at all care about being racially represented in games.

Shaheen in T7 is such a boring and generic character. "I'm Arab. My VA is a generic Arab cartoon dub voice. My life is based on honor and peace. All of my costumes are traditional Arab garb. In case you couldn't tell, I'm Arab". Meanwhile, Rashid nails nearly every subtle point imaginable. He's a guy who does crazy shit to have fun. His theme, much as I hate it, is a mix of both traditional instruments and electronic in the style popular with most young Arabs. His default is based on technology, something more fortunate Arabs love to collect and interact with. His story alt is just a street dude with sweet kicks, representative of Arab sneakerheads (of which there are a ton). And this outfit manages to perfectly represent his dedication to his favorite sport, which is obvious if you ever actually visit the ME, but you'd never guess it from a western, and likely oriental, POV. Trust me. Arabs might even beat Latinos for their dedication to football.

Shaheen seems like he was designed by an outsider trying to fish for Arab buyers. Rashid, however, was designed by somebody who has studied Arab pop culture extensively, or possibly even is Arab himself.
Nah. Shaheen is a Tekken character, him being semi-realistic cool/badass is more important than him having a personality. While I like Rashid better, as a gulf Arab Shaheen gets points for having a more accurate head dress and Arabic voice. He only has one default costume, but he also has a unique suit customization and a couple unique hair and facial hair styles. Don't get me started on Rashid's garbage Ali Baba alt or Azam (and his other alt looks more Desi than Arab to me).

Also Shaheen had more Arab involvement for his design, where I can name a Saudi person who was involved, and the team also asked the Arabic community for feedback during conception. Oh and he is billed from an actual country, not "the middle east" like Rashid.

Rymuth

Nah. Shaheen is a Tekken character, him being semi-realistic cool/badass is more important than him having a personality. While I like Rashid better, as a gulf Arab Shaheen gets points for having a more accurate head dress and Arabic voice. He only has one default costume, but he also has a unique suit customization and a couple unique hair and facial hair styles. Don't get me started on Rashid's garbage Ali Baba alt or Azam (and his other alt looks more Desi than Arab to me).

Also Shaheen had more Arab involvement for his design, where I can name a Saudi person who was involved, and the team also asked the Arabic community for feedback during conception. Oh and he is billed from an actual country, not "the middle east" like Rashid.

One point deducted from Shaheen is that he speaks Fusha/Classical Arabic, making him a cypher character you can't pin to a specific country. There's not a trace of Saudi dialect in him

SF4 is so ugly, lol

tho I wonder if SFV will age just as bad.

Unlikely. SFIVs artstyle, even on release, wasn't that great and it aged pretty quickly. The thing that'll age the most poorly with SFV are the backgrounds, where as I think most of the characters will look fine for a while.

Mista Koo

One point deducted from Shaheen is that he speaks Fusha/Classical Arabic, making him a cypher character you can't pin to a specific country. There's not a trace of Saudi dialect in him
True. Although a lot of people are against using non-formal Arabic in media/VO. Personally I would've just given him an accent but keep the Fusha.

Although I do wonder if that problem applies for any of the other characters/languages in the game.

KingBroly

Banned
Unlikely. SFIVs artstyle, even on release, wasn't that great and it aged pretty quickly. The thing that'll age the most poorly with SFV are the backgrounds, where as I think most of the characters will look fine for a while.

30fps backgrounds in a 60fps game. Even the Alt versions of stages have 60fps backgrounds.

The character models will age..."okay," IMO, but Ken looks likes trash.

Neoxon

I'd imagine that a good chunk of people wouldn't mind if they reused SFV's animations given the quality of them (Cammy's air grab aside).

Vega never gets love :(
A fencing suit would be perfect for him, it's got a mask and he's got a weapon.
He's a bit luckier than some other SFV guys. He at least got an extra costume in the Halloween pack. A few characters still haven't gotten anything beyond their initial three outfits.

The men overall need a lot more attention.

Top Bottom