• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong user feedback" results in Google removing Cupcake Calorie counter from Maps

Xisiqomelir

http://archive.is/BL4MY#selection-1448.0-1452.0

Google has decided to remove an update to Maps that shows users how many calories they would burn if they walked to their destination.
It follows what the search giant described as "strong user feedback" with many criticising the feature as patronising, shaming and a possible trigger for eating disorders.
The pink cupcake calorie counter was also lambasted as being unscientific.
It will be removed by the end of the day, Google has confirmed.
The experimental feature was rolled out on the iOS version of Google Maps, beneath walking directions.
It told people how many calories they would burn if they walked and what that was in terms of cupcakes.

Twitter user Taylor Lorenz summed up the attitude of many when she tweeted that the feature could be "extremely triggering" for someone with eating disorders.
She also criticised it because it could not be turned off, and for being "wildly inaccurate" because it failed to take into account general health information.

Priya Tew, a member of the Association of UK Dietitians said: "Although it is good to encourage people to walk more, having the calories used on Google Maps does not seem to be the best way to do this.
"Firstly it encourages competition, trying to burn more calories each day which could be triggering for some people who have a tendency to over-exercise. Secondly it could make people feel shamed that they have not walked far enough or burned enough calories.
"If people want to count their calories then they should be given the option to do this, rather than it being enforced."

JWiLL

Banned
"Firstly it encourages competition, trying to burn more calories each day which could be triggering for some people who have a tendency to over-exercise".

Hah...firstly my ass. It's 100% feedback from a bunch of fatties who don't want to think about how little they're actually exercising.

Fuchsdh

The cupcake thing is stupid and patronizing, but I don't think calorie information, in itself, should be problematic.

Yep.

You could argue the use of mini-cupcakes was intentionally or not sexist, I suppose. (I certainly don't think about my calories in those terms.)

But the idea that a calorie counter is triggering to someone with an eating disorder is crazy to me. Do these people have someone black out the nutrition facts labels on things they consume?

Well shit, as someone who's down twenty lbs so far thanks to calorie counting, this would actually be a nice feature. I hope it returns as an option.

No, the muffled sounds of pain the Wii Balance Board would make when you stepped onto it when overweight was triggering, this seems like it was trying to be helpful but required more updates.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That is "triggering"? Just ignore it. Or give an opt-out button I guess.
People with eating disorder care big about this. People who count every single calorien. But they should just ignore it I guess, right? Its just a mental illness, its their fault to just not ignore it.

L Thammy

Yep.

You could argue the use of mini-cupcakes was intentionally or not sexist, I suppose. (I certainly don't think about my calories in those terms.)

But the idea that a calorie counter is triggering to someone with an eating disorder is crazy to me. Do these people have someone black out the nutrition facts labels on things they consume?

What was sexist about it? Genuinely asking, I don't think I've used Google Maps recently enough to have seen this feature.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I mean the simple solution is make it an option and make it not stupid and "cute" by talking about cupcakes.

Yeah, is if it would be that easy to just opt out for people who suffer from ed. Guess they could just opt out from counting caloriens all fucking day, too.

People with eating disorder care big about this. People who count every single calorien. But they should just ignore it I guess, right? Its just a mental illness, its their fault to just not ignore it.

That's fair. But I think it should have been an option to turn off rather than removed entirely. This could be a really useful feature to a lot of people.

Carl

What do they do about food which says the calories on it?

Which is basically anything you buy in a packet or at restaurants

So should food packaging remove calories as well? And fast food menus? What possible downside could there be for simply having an opt-out button?

daveo42

Banned
If this was actually about people with eating disorders, then Google should have just added an option to turn it off. It's not good for those who severely under-eat and need help. Sadly, this seems more like it's a form of fat-shaming reaction as opposed to actual eating disorders. Unless fat-shaming is now it's own eating disorder?

What was sexist about it? Genuinely asking, I don't think I've used Google Maps recently enough to have seen this feature.

Apparently cupcakes are seen as associated with women. Motherfucker, I love cupcakes!

Seriously though, I thought this was a good feature when I noticed it the other day, take out the cupcake bit if it bothers people that much, but I walk everywhere so having an idea of what I could be burning on a walk would be useful!

Meanwhile we also have that thread about how >40% of American adults are obese.

Nah, shouldn't be outright removing anything that tracks how much exercise you get. Make it an option instead. Wish I had known google maps could do this. If you're embarrassed that you don't get enough, make time to start doing more. I have some doubts that the majority of people complaining were doing it because they love doing exercise and are doing too much, as that quote in the OP suggests, given the 40% obesity rate vs the (quick google result: might be wrong) less than 2% of adults being classed as underweight.

Not sure what the point of the cupcake counting bit was, fine to take that away, maybe replace it with calories from various typical meals.

No, the muffled sounds of pain the Wii Balance Board would make when you stepped onto it when overweight was triggering, this seems like it was trying to be helpful but required more updates.

Did it actually do this? Ballsy.

berzeli

Banned
Casual reminder that "eating disorders" include anorexia, and tying exercise/walking distance directly to food (and an unhealthy one at that) with no way of turning it off is probably not advantageous to those who suffer from it, to put it politely.
But you know, don't let that stop you from going on about "triggered fatties".
I mean the simple solution is make it an option and make it not stupid and "cute" by talking about cupcakes.
It is a really poorly executed feature.

"Extremely triggering", Jesus.

Eating disorders are no joke but if an image of a cupcake is extremely triggering then you would have to become very avoidant in your daily life and habits to avoid all these extremely triggering things.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
An option as in opt in

"Or give an opt-out button I guess."

That's fair. But I think it should have been an option to turn off rather than removed entirely. This could be a really useful feature to a lot of people.

Like I said. As it would be just that easy. These people will opt it anyway, and it will harm them. Maybe you should befriend someone with eating disorder, then you would understand my point of view on this and my reaction to your super easy solutions.

What do they do about food which says the calories on it?

Which is basically anything you buy in a packet or at restaurants

So should food packaging remove calories as well?
Yes, because Google Maps counting calories is totally the same like this.

"Extremely triggering", Jesus.

Eating disorders are no joke but if an image of a cupcake is extremely triggering then you would have to become very avoidant in your daily life and habits to avoid all these extremely triggering things.

This is also about the calorine count.

The dietician in the op agrees that it's better as something you can opt into, rather than permanently removed.

I like to imagine it was swiftly pulled as a response, but then return with an option in the next update.

Madness

America has an obesity issue. Everyone should be aware of it. Make it opt in rather than removing it. Let people know that rather than taking the cab 4 blocks they could have walked 4000 steps etc.

KingSlime

Ridiculous of people to complain. Don't people realize that the world is getting fatter and fatter, and there is a sliding scale of what weights are becoming normalized?

NewDust

Instead of removing it, or as some suggested being opt-out, this should be opt-in. But that cupcake measure should be removed anyway.

Like I said. As it would be just that easy. These people will opt it anyway, and it will harm them. Maybe you should befriend someone with eating disorder, then you would understand my point of view on this and my reaction to your super easy solutions.

Yes, because Google Maps counting calories is totally the same like this.

This is also about the calorine count.

Look I think it would probably be good as an opt in but people with eating disorders will find ways to do this anyway. Most smartphones come with a tracking app to count calories burned

Fuchsdh

Apparently cupcakes are seen as associated with women. Motherfucker, I love cupcakes!

I'm triggered by the fact that it's mini cupcakes. Mini cupcakes are just inferior cupcakes, which are inferior cake slices. Tell me what infinitesimal percentage of my cake slice I've worked off, Google!

One of my best friends has dealt with anorexia for years. I still think it's a useful feature. Should we remove any form of calorie counting? Should MyFitnessPal be removed from the App Store because it's free and someone with and eating disorder could end up obsessing over it?

Oppo

what the heck? really?

this is why we can't have nice things

I was noodling with a similar idea myself, a lunch app that calculates which places you could walk to and from that are far enough to negate the calories you actually ate for lunch. I've also got an app on my watch that shows me how many pints of beer I've "earned" on a run.

Harmen

This sounds like a feature I would like. Sure, to be more inclusive they should give an option to disable it. And maybe ditch cupcakes as the metric? But given the obesity and diabetes statistics the average person could (actually, should) use a calorie counter. That includes myself, I used to be fat and a better understanding of food intake allowed me to fix that. Obesity is a serious health problem on the long term.

hotcyder

This is the first time I've heard of this feature - and is it wrong that I want to opt-in to it because it's very cool but not for everyone?

At some point I feel like people put too heavy a burden of social responsibility on Devs and designers to implement things which aren't going to piss a group of people off.

Software isn't everything. We live too much of our lives in our phones. No wonder were so fucked.

Top Bottom