• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong user feedback" results in Google removing Cupcake Calorie counter from Maps

gcubed

For some people it is hormonal, I have PCOS which just fucks everything up. I wish for me it was as simple as Calories in VS Calories out. I've lost almost one hundred pounds so far and still going but I had to learn it's just not simple for everyone.

I'm not saying there aren't contributions, and I know I should have expanded my post... But calories in vs out is the base. Hormones can help or hinder that.

Dyle

Great idea, although poorly executed with the cutesy cupcake design. I hear what the dietician quoted in the article is saying, but I feel like the information is too useful and to be likely to cause any genuine harm. We don't consider listing calories on menus as a way of creating unhealthy competition so why would a calorie estimate for exercise do the same? This would be particularly great if it also estimated the cost of driving/taking mass transit, so that the cost/benefits of each option were presented so that the user can quickly get a general idea of which option would be most efficient. Hopefully Google brings it back in some form, I walk quite a bit and being able to visualize the calories I burn when planning a route would be a nice feature

I happily admit that I'm an idiot, but I have no idea how they're different. If someone with an eating disorder is "triggered" by seeing how many calories they might lose from going for a walk, I have no idea why seeing how many they'd gain by eating something would be any different

They're not different, they're two sides of the same coin. One shows potential calories taken in, the other shows potential calories used, and combined they can be a very useful tool for people who want to get healthier.

If by “pointed out,” you mean “raged,” then yes.

It really isn’t that big a deal. Maybe complain that it should be opt-in. But to pretend that flipping the fuck out is justified because it’s hurting all the people with eating disorders is disingenuous.

As you pointed out earlier, people with eating disorders likely already have methods to count their calories as they walk. Raising hell on this as if Google is hurting people with a cupcake icon is just kinda silly.

It was enabled by default, couldn't be turned off and the cupcake is just stupid.

Those are valid concerns and were the first things she pointed out

Eidan

Damn, I wish I knew about this before it got purged. I walk everywhere, and if the information was accurate I would’ve used it all the time.

CDX

Generic calorie info for walks isn't a bad idea for Google maps.

Get rid of the cute cupcakes. Have an ON/OFF toggle, possibly with default state being off, though I don't feel strongly either way if the default should be on or off. And in my opinion the feature should be fine.

Krakatoa

I think its a great idea. It was just the execution that let it down. I think they should have kept it in and removed the cupcake.

Zoe

Should be opt in and with a variety of snacks to choose from.

But WTF at a cupcake being sexist??

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It's a good feature, even the cupcakes. Just make both opt in and have a variety of foods to equate it to; like cupcakes, donuts, bagels, pizza, burgers, etc. Not just the one. Getting people more aware of the calories in common food items is really needed.

Again so what. She's some person on twitter who worded her valid concerns aggressively.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with voicing your concerns aggressively.

But when you do so, expect the story to be more about the method of your message than the content. Especially when you’re going apeshit over cupcake images.

ShyMel

Should be opt-in and with a variety of snacks to choose from.

I can see cupcakes being more associated with women due to a lot of the designs having brighter and pastel colors, which are more geared towards women. I do not think it was a deliberate choice to aim the counter towards women.

Should be opt in and with a variety of snacks to choose from.

I wondered this as well. I fucking love cupcakes. My wife and I served them at our wedding instead of a regular cake.

If eating sweets is wrong I don't want to be right.

Elfstar

Again so what. She's some person on twitter who worded her valid concerns aggressively.

Because is exactly that stupid, hyperbolic, hysteric kind of garbage internet reactions that makes giant corporations sooo concerned about their public image and leads them to take such reactionary and extreme decisions.

gcubed said:
If you are going down the path of you should remove it because people can still opt in! Then I guess we should just throw away smart phones. We can't have that if people can opt in download a step counter. Fitbit needs to be shut down. We should fuck off with math because someone may realize there is a formula to figure out calories burned for distance walked

There is a limit to what you can reasonably be expected to do here. Should we remove fitness apps or other things counting calories because someone might not be able to stop themselves using it?

^
This deserves a thoughtful response, GAMEPROFF. It is ridiculous to suggest that an opt-in feature is harmful.

Should have used a cookie. Cookie is gender neutral

wkepurw.png

Should have used a cookie. Cookie is gender neutral

Cupcakes are gender neutral. Who the fuck doesn't like cupcakes? Aside from people who don't like desserts?!

I can see cupcakes being more associated with women due to a lot of the designs having brighter and pastel colors, which are more geared towards women. I do not think it was a deliberate choice to aim the counter towards women.

I don't think I've EVER heard someone care about a cupcake looking too "girly" before eating it. Like maybe there's a stigma surrounding "girly" drinks or whatever, but for desserts I don't think people care

Ryzaki009

Yeah it should just be opt in. Those with eating disorders can ignore the option and those without get another general way to see how they can burn off a few calories.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
2/3 of America's population is overweight or obese.

1/3 of them are obese/morbidly obese.

Google should be commended for doing this. Let's not act like it's the people complaining about (legitimate) ED triggering are the ones that caused Google to remove it.

Beardz

The next Android version is going to require x amount of steps in order to be able to unlock the phone.

Like I said. As it would be just that easy. These people will opt it anyway, and it will harm them. Maybe you should befriend someone with eating disorder, then you would understand my point of view on this and my reaction to your super easy solutions.

If your concern is that people shouldn't even be given the choice of opting in to behavior that may be triggering to some then that's where I disagree with you. Even disregarding how many fitness apps are regularly on app stores for people like that to utilize, it's absolutely ridiculous to restrict the options other people have to useful information in order to accommodate anyone who may misuse that information.

The onus is on triggered people - and friends/family/supporters of these people - working towards better mental health in order function in every day society. Not on society to withhold useful tools and trackers from the general public.

Yukiari

Yeah it should just be opt in. Those with eating disorders can ignore the option and those without get another general way to see how they can burn off a few calories.

This is a good idea, I think more companies should do Opt in instead of opt out.-

Sami+

This should be an opt-out feature so that normal people who don't go into the settings every time they open Maps would see it. And I guess overly sensitive fatties can opt out.

Yukiari

Hypothetically, should the feature be re-implemented as an opt-in, how would users know to opt-in without being told about the option?

Wouldn't telling the consumer about the feature be just as troubling?

I don't think as much unless it's a constant telling of the customer. Like every time they open the app the message is displayed again and again. Google has been pretty good with the okay we'll never ask you about this again stuff they do.

Oppo

Incidentally citymapper has been doing this for ages and ages, but I suspect it doesn't get used much outside of London. Stuff like 'this is how many bananas or lattes it will take to get from A to B'

I use Citymapper all the time in Toronto. and yeah I like that feature. especially when they present it with the cost of transit or cabs, vs calories walking or biking. it has reminded me a few times that I should just ride my bike and I'm thankful for that info.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That’s such a great idea tho. Hopefully it returns. I would have found a lot of use with it.

Vire

This is the sad state of our country. That things that are potentially helpful and useful to society are removed because someone might be offended.

Here's hoping this is re-implemented.

Even if it's inaccurate it is still useful to get an idea of what you're burning. That was the biggest thing for me, just getting a tangible number for the calories in and out.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
People with eating disorder care big about this. People who count every single calorien. But they should just ignore it I guess, right? Its just a mental illness, its their fault to just not ignore it.

I don’t understand. Are you against this as an option? Because are you also against having calorific values on food, or smart watches and apps that track calories?

This is useful information to a lot of people.

rudger

My issue with it seems to be that it tells you the calories you’d lose walking as opposed to driving - which i believe in the image is what the user was going to do. That is a form of shaming in saying, “but wouldn’t you rather walk? It’s only half a mile and you’d lose a few calories, you lazy fuck”.

Also, if you’re triggered by a cupcake and think it’s sexist, that says more about you and your issues than google.

Top Bottom