• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong user feedback" results in Google removing Cupcake Calorie counter from Maps

rudger

Hell, they should probably also include a counter that tells you how much you are wasting on gas when you drive.

That’s actually not a bad idea. Kind of surprised they don’t do that. Especially since it would require you entering in your car for accurate info and they just love more data.

Zoe

That’s actually not a bad idea. Kind of surprised they don’t do that. Especially since it would require you entering in your car for accurate info and they just love more data.

Definitely something they could add to Waze.

I can see cupcakes being more associated with women due to a lot of the designs having brighter and pastel colors, which are more geared towards women. I do not think it was a deliberate choice to aim the counter towards women.
lmfaooo what the fuck is this

this shit is going way too far

also lmao at ppl getting fucking triggered by a damn cupcake and calorie count like get a life

GodofWine

Adults need to 'Adult' a little better if this is what sets them off.

We all have issues, and a LOT of people would gladly trade theirs for being 'triggered by a caloric estimate on a cupcake'.

wow...

andthebeatgoeson

For some people it is hormonal, I have PCOS which just fucks everything up. I wish for me it was as simple as Calories in VS Calories out. I've lost almost one hundred pounds so far and still going but I had to learn it's just not simple for everyone.
Or that steroids cause weight gain. For the majority, it's calories. But for a minority, it's other reasons. But this whole thread is about a minority having their voices heard and a mega corporation responding. That's reasonable. The solution, to me, is unreasonable.

Fhtagn

I hate people sometimes.

Really? This triggers you? Cupcakes?!

It's the calorie information and the lack of a way to opt out.

And yes, this kind of thing is legitimately "triggering" as in the real meaning of this word in a therapy context not the 4chan people whine too much meaning for people with anorexia and other eating disorders.

Gas-shaming? Absurd and insensitive.

0Bomu.jpg

#Triggored

RDreamer

The calorie count in and of itself seems like a decent idea. As the twitter user pointed out though it's obviously not scientific and can't really know how large you are, so it could vary. They could give a range, or just stick to a low estimate. I like that idea overall.

The mini-cupcake count is obviously mishandled greatly. I think the twitter user is sort of right, though enraged about it to a degree I can't really fathom. Mini-Cupcake counting is way too cutesy and condescending. Either have it cycle through foods or just stick to calories burned.

I do wonder if the whole "That's one mini-cupcake" or "That's a quarter slice of pizza" or whatever it could end up being after being too cutesy wouldn't work as well, though. Personally whenever someone put the calories of a small walk in context of actual food it felt almost not worth it at all. As most dieters and exercisers tend to know: It's fucking hard to out exercise bad eating habits. Either people will see "Oh that's one mini-cupcake but it adds 30 minutes to my day" and they won't fucking do it or they do it and then eat a cupcake or some crap afterwards because of the exercise. Either way I'm not sure the psychology works as well as we'd like with that. So, I'd keep the calorie count but lose the calorie equivalent.

Yukiari

Or that steroids cause weight gain. For the majority, it's calories. But for a minority, it's other reasons. But this whole thread is about a minority having their voices heard and a mega corporation responding. That's reasonable. The solution, to me, is unreasonable.

Again, I don't disagree that it shouldn't be an option for people but make it opt in. No need to take it away completely.

Phu

Banned
The calorie count in and of itself seems like a decent idea. As the twitter user pointed out though it's obviously not scientific and can't really know how large you are, so it could vary. They could give a range, or just stick to a low estimate. I like that idea overall.

The mini-cupcake count is obviously mishandled greatly. I think the twitter user is sort of right, though enraged about it to a degree I can't really fathom. Mini-Cupcake counting is way too cutesy and condescending. Either have it cycle through foods or just stick to calories burned.

I do wonder if the whole "That's one mini-cupcake" or "That's a quarter slice of pizza" or whatever it could end up being after being too cutesy wouldn't work as well, though. Personally whenever someone put the calories of a small walk in context of actual food it felt almost not worth it at all. As most dieters and exercisers tend to know: It's fucking hard to out exercise bad eating habits. Either people will see "Oh that's one mini-cupcake but it adds 30 minutes to my day" and they won't fucking do it or they do it and then eat a cupcake or some crap afterwards because of the exercise. Either way I'm not sure the psychology works as well as we'd like with that. So, I'd keep the calorie count but lose the calorie equivalent.

I'm the opposite. Seeing calories spelled out as food helps me contextualize what I'm eating and what I'm doing.

norm9

I can see cupcakes being more associated with women due to a lot of the designs having brighter and pastel colors, which are more geared towards women. I do not think it was a deliberate choice to aim the counter towards women.

Lol. This thread is a great way to start the morning.

The cupcake thing is stupid and patronizing, but I don't think calorie information, in itself, should be problematic.

This. Especially in the US where diabetes and obesity is killing a lot of people. Give me a break.

This is what I'm saying. The culture needs to change and I'm all for ditching the cupcakes and providing calorie burning information. Especially for short distance targets.

Might not need calorie info for a 3 hour drive. But the Starbucks two blocks away? Cmon.

RDreamer

I'm the opposite. Seeing calories spelled out as food helps me contextualize what I'm eating and what I'm doing.

It can help some people, but I've seen studies that after exercise people often use it as an excuse to binge eat other things.

I'm all for more information, because I'm currently on a diet (lost about 120 pounds) and more information helps every step of the way but I know everyone is different and I'd like to see more scientific research on what sort of things actually help and what nagging is good and what nagging is just condescending and won't work.

I think the bottom line is just using the metaphor for mini-cupcakes is not a great idea, but putting calories of your walk is fine by me.

JCX

Exactly. People are awful at estimating calories, and often underestimate how many calories they eat.

Once I began counting calories and weighing food,I got a much better idea of how to lose weight and it's helped me a ton.

JCHandsom

This would probably bug me too. If I'm using Google Maps, it means I'm driving somewhere far/taking public transit. I do most of my walking on campus, and I don't need a map to know how to get around there. If I don't need it, let me turn it off.

Also, Cupcakes? That does seem patronizing: "Look, you burned enough calories today to eat 2.1 cupcakes! Aren't you glad we put it in terms you can understand?"

Maybe if there was a companion app or added feature where you could log in planned/past meals and have it compare your calories burned against that it would be helpful, but I don't regularly eat cupcakes enough to care about how many I've burned.

"Firstly it encourages competition, trying to burn more calories each day which could be triggering for some people who have a tendency to over-exercise".

Hah...firstly my ass. It's 100% feedback from a bunch of fatties who don't want to think about how little they're actually exercising.

Whew you seem like a terrible person.

Kinyou

This would probably bug me too. If I'm using Google Maps, it means I'm driving somewhere far/taking public transit. I do most of my walking on campus, and I don't need a map to know how to get around there. If I don't need it, let me turn it off.

Also, Cupcakes? That does seem patronizing: "Look, you burned enough calories today to eat 2.1 cupcakes! Aren't you glad we put it in terms you can understand?"
Is that really bad? Contextualising calory numbers sounds pretty useful to me.

JCHandsom

Is that really bad? Contextualising calory numbers sounds pretty useful to me.

It's not useful because I don't regularly eat cupcakes, so framing it that way does nothing for me. It would be like saying that I burned the equivalent of a jar of mayo, or 4 heads of lettuce. There is no applicability to what I actually eat.

Where do I sign up for the "I'd prefer the calorie count" outrage party? Seems like legitimately useful and motivating information. Maybe have a toggle if someone is genuinely going to be triggered (seriously?) but considering how fucking lazy and unhealthy we all are, make it an opt-out.

Vire

It's not useful because I don't regularly eat cupcakes, so framing it that way does nothing for me. It would be like saying that I burned the equivalent of a jar of mayo, or 4 heads of lettuce. There is no applicability to what I actually eat.

Cupcakes are something that are generally universally loved.

I wouldn't be so annoyed by this thing if all they did was complain, but the fact that it was removed for everyone else because of these whiners is what peeves me.

JCHandsom

Cupcakes are something that are generally universally loved.

I wouldn't be so annoyed by this thing if all they did was complain, but the fact that it was removed for everyone else because of these whiners is what peeves me.

Sure, but I don't plan my meals around cupcakes. If there was a selection of different foods to pick from, or a way to add in planned/past meals to measure against, that would be provide way more utility.

There are so many step-counting, calorie-measuring, meal-planning apps, devices, and services out there that I don't see this as a huge loss. Hopefully they do a better job implementing it in the future.

"Firstly it encourages competition, trying to burn more calories each day which could be triggering for some people who have a tendency to over-exercise".

Hah...firstly my ass. It's 100% feedback from a bunch of fatties who don't want to think about how little they're actually exercising.
Likely
I'd love to have it still available, at least make it toggleable

Clearos

Default it off with a setting in features to turn it on.

Micotransaction the hell of people by allowing them to buy different foods to count.

Default the free starting food as a single pea to encourage purchases.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They should just make it a fat looking walking version of this 🚶

Then just look at the calorie value it gives. It's nothing more than a playful food example

Ryzaki009

Hypothetically, should the feature be re-implemented as an opt-in, how would users know to opt-in without being told about the option?

Wouldn't telling the consumer about the feature be just as troubling?

No. A one time pop up when you first open the app with the new feature in it is very different from a constant reminder.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

This kind of language is repulsive. What the fuck is wrong with you?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Holy hell, this is most snowflake thing I've read in a while.

Cynar

Well shit, as someone who's down twenty lbs so far thanks to calorie counting, this would actually be a nice feature. I hope it returns as an option.
Seriously. This is such a good idea. I can't believe it got removed. As someone who's all about their Fitbit I love this idea.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
People are too fucking sensitive about everything these days. This sounded like a nifty feature, wish they kept it.

JCHandsom

Then just look at the calorie value it gives. It's nothing more than a playful food example

I would, but I don't need Google Maps to make my way around except when I need to travel long distances. There are already a bunch of different apps/devices/services available to count calories, often with more customization and utility, so it's not like I'm lacking other options. It's not that big of a loss imo until they make it more robust.

Top Bottom