• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

How are the ~$400 Music Hall turntables?

I want to get a turntable when I move into my new apartment after this summer and I've been scoping around for the go-to tables with good price/performance. The Project Debut III seems to be the consensus in this thread, but the Music Hall tables look really, really slick to me. Project actually makes some extremely similar looking tables, I'm not sure if it's just a standard design or if maybe they're owned by the same parent company or something.

Suairyu said:
I hate your local for breaking the date when mine refuses to.
OcszGl.jpg

BnIrDl.jpg

#102/500

FLEABttn said:
The UK-only part seems critical, given you're in Canada.
Yeah, you could be right.

We'll see when other people start getting copies I guess. I figured that between the Parlophone site mentioning the limited run and myself getting a fairly low number that 500 sounded about right.

maruchan

I found this in mint, spine is perfect still has original plastic cover no fading of cover... it took me a few years to fine such great copy of it.. cost me .99 cents at the goodwill... i have so much awesome stuf from their...
P1010003.jpg

Get'sMad

after a year or so hiatus I'm back in the vinyl game. My old inherited Yamaha table started having problems the other year and didn't bother getting it fixed because I figured that was the sign to upgrade. finally a year later I decided to take the plunge and get a slick silver debut iii and the ortofon 2m red cart. I forgot how much I missed playing records, I was getting pretty sick of seeing my stack of records going un-played for that long. also, just in time for record store day (eat a dick, wallet). :D

dr3upmushroom said:
How are the ~$400 Music Hall turntables?

I want to get a turntable when I move into my new apartment after this summer and I've been scoping around for the go-to tables with good price/performance. The Project Debut III seems to be the consensus in this thread, but the Music Hall tables look really, really slick to me. Project actually makes some extremely similar looking tables, I'm not sure if it's just a standard design or if maybe they're owned by the same parent company or something.

I picked up an unused MMF-2.2 for $300 last spring and I love it. However, it's the only modern table I've ever owned. Before that I used vintage mid-fi tables.

cabottemp

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
I picked up an unused MMF-2.2 for $300 last spring and I love it. However, it's the only modern table I've ever owned. Before that I used vintage mid-fi tables.

That table is sexy as hell, man. I only have a cheap-o Sony player. Once I have some more funds available I'd love to be able to buy something like that.

Suairyu

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
Please die now.

(You going to open it up and play it? I actually have my doubts about whether the high-resolution of the vinyl format benefits this album at all. Contemplating keeping mine sealed and just sticking with digital)

Also yeah, 500 copies for the UK, 1000 worldwide.

Suairyu said:
Please die now.

(You going to open it up and play it? I actually have my doubts about whether the high-resolution of the vinyl format benefits this album at all. Contemplating keeping mine sealed and just sticking with digital)

Also yeah, 500 copies for the UK, 1000 worldwide.

I opened it, but haven't played it yet. The inner sleeve has some nice photos printed on it that were taken during the tour.

EDIT: It looks like 2000 copies total (500 UK/1500 International).

cabot said:
That table is sexy as hell, man. I only have a cheap-o Sony player. Once I have some more funds available I'd love to be able to buy something like that.

I like it. I'd rather have the Ferrari red version, but I couldn't turn down the $300 deal on the black, which is still lovely. Some guy shipping out to Iraq bought it as a package deal with an Outlaw receiver but then decided that vinyl was intimidating after reading about setting up the tracking force. :)

I think I'm going to get an Acryl-It platter for it this summer.

I feed it to a vintage Sansui 6060 receiver driving KLH Model Five speakers.

FLEABttn said:
What would be the advantages of an acrylic platter?

If you believe the audiphiles, it sounds better. I'm not convinced.

I think it looks dead sexy and I hate the staticky felt mat that comes with the steel platter. I'd rather spend the additional money on the platter than $50 on a better mat.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Got a decent little record player at Goodwill for $15 and a handful of albums mostly for $1 each:

IMG_2811.jpg

Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Suzi Quattro, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Okkervil River and Keith Jarrett.

Beer Monkey said:
If you believe the audiphiles, it sounds better. I'm not convinced.

I think it looks dead sexy and I hate the staticky felt mat that comes with the steel platter. I'd rather spend the additional money on the platter than $50 on a better mat.

static from new records is really annoying. It's still there even after I use a "de-static" carbon brush. Is that the felt mat doing it?

Not that I didn't expect it or anything, but those 180gram Radiohead releases sound wonderful. I'd pay the 25$ each time I listened to them I swur to gawd. Well, at least Kid A and Amnesiac, because they're the only ones I have so far.

Smision said:
static from new records is really annoying. It's still there even after I use a "de-static" carbon brush. Is that the felt mat doing it?

I don't know if the felt mat *causes* static, but it's really irritating when it sticks to the record. :) The felt mat is just fucking cheap. It's a 20 cent part on a $400 turntable. Seriously, it shouldn't cost them more than 20 cents.

I give every record a really light carbon fiber brushing before I play it.

I jumped the gun and ordered an Acryl-it platter today.

I'll get a Speedbox II by summer.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
maruchan said:
I found this in mint, spine is perfect still has original plastic cover no fading of cover... it took me a few years to fine such great copy of it.. cost me .99 cents at the goodwill... i have so much awesome stuf from their...
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv236/el_maruchan/P1010003.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

My Goodwill has a bunch of Andy Williams records and a few copies of the Bing Crosby Christmas album.

I guess I live in a bad Goodwill area or something.

theBishop

Banned
I got so many records since the last time I posted, it seems pointless to post pics. On standout is Flying Lotus' Cosmogramma. The inner sleeves are made of screened rice paper. And of course the cover art on the outer sleeve is glorious.

afternoon delight said:
Not that I didn't expect it or anything, but those 180gram Radiohead releases sound wonderful. I'd pay the 25$ each time I listened to them I swur to gawd. Well, at least Kid A and Amnesiac, because they're the only ones I have so far.

yeah they do. I have to get Kid A still. Got Amnesiac. Those are my two favorite radiohead albums...

ngower

FLEABttn said:
What would be the advantages of an acrylic platter?

I have the Acryl-It and though expensive, it eliminate a lot of hassle.

It dampens a lot of the vibrations which, in college dorms, are made evident immediately.

It eliminates a lot of static, which means no felt mat sticking to the record when you go to flip and no dust getting sucked into the grooves if you're like most people and don't live in a sterile, dust-free environment.

Sound does improve slightly, certainly where it is noticeable, but that isn't the reason I purchased the platter.

I would say, however, if anyone is looking into the entry level MMF or Debut III, with these upgrades intended, save your money and just go for something bigger immediately. I have put probably just shy of $700 into my Debut III and have yet to upgrade the cartridge, which is another $100. For $800 I'm just shy of a cartridge-less Rega P3.

Get'sMad

ngower said:
I would say, however, if anyone is looking into the entry level MMF or Debut III, with these upgrades intended, save your money and just go for something bigger immediately. I have put probably just shy of $700 into my Debut III and have yet to upgrade the cartridge, which is another $100. For $800 I'm just shy of a cartridge-less Rega P3.

true. but in my case I like that I can just incrementally upgrade, still have a pretty solid sounding table and have money to burn on other stuff at the same time.

also don't mind if I ask, but why wouldn't getting a better cartridge be the first on your list of upgrades to make on a table like that? seems like that would be the most obvious/cheapest method to improve sound right off the bat. I intend to eventually buy a speed box and acryl-it platter but I can't see how they would dramatically improve the sound in the same way a better cart would.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Beer Monkey said:
I don't know if the felt mat *causes* static, but it's really irritating when it sticks to the record. :) The felt mat is just fucking cheap. It's a 20 cent part on a $400 turntable. Seriously, it shouldn't cost them more than 20 cents.

I give every record a really light carbon fiber brushing before I play it.

I jumped the gun and ordered an Acryl-it platter today.

I'll get a Speedbox II by summer.

The mat doesn't cause static; pulling a record from its sleeve creates static cling.

Acrylic is supposed to be one of the "deadest" materials sonically speaking so it doesn't transmit many vibrations. Having said that, I really don't like the antiseptic sound that acrylic seems to give off. My turntable has a 4kg steel platter and that sounds great.

Melchiah

I don't have a vinyl player anymore, and I've sold most of my vinyl collection away, except for these which I couldn't give up.

Aghast - Hexerei Im Zwielicht Der Finsternis (picture disc with a giant poster, limited to 500 copies)
Brighter Death Now - 1890 (limited to 800 copies)
Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction (the original gore covers)
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness (gatefold with the original gore covers)
Dead Can Dance - Within the Ream of a Dying Sun
Diamanda Galas - Plague Mass
Folkstorm - Noisient (limited to 600 copies)
Impetigo - Ultimo Mondo Cannibale
Naked City - Torture Garden (gatefold)
Napalm Death - Scum
Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration
Napalm Death - Mentally Murdered
Nuclear Death - Carrion for Worm
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
WASP - Animal (F**k Like a Beast)
WASP - I Wanna Be Somebody
WASP - The Last Command
WASP - Inside the Electric Circus
WASP - Headless Children
Xysma - Above the Mind of Morbidity

EDIT: Most of the albums are from 80ies and early 90ies.

theBishop

Banned
ngower said:
I would say, however, if anyone is looking into the entry level MMF or Debut III, with these upgrades intended, save your money and just go for something bigger immediately.

I love my Rega P1, but I agree it's not worth upgrading entry level models beyond the cartridge. You're better off selling your entry level and using the proceeds to upgrade. Tables in good condition from a respected brand tend to hold their value. But motor or tonearm upgrades are hard to quantify in a used asking price.

Someday, I will have a Rega P3... I love that glass platter.

theBishop said:
I love my Rega P1, but I agree it's not worth upgrading entry level models beyond the cartridge. You're better off selling your entry level and using the proceeds to upgrade. Tables in good condition from a respected brand tend to hold their value. But motor or tonearm upgrades are hard to quantify in a used asking price.

Someday, I will have a Rega P3... I love that glass platter.

Is a glass platter better/worse than other platters?

The player I use is an old Rega Planar 2 that I got off craigslist (150$! In original box!). It came with the original glass platter. Should I be looking to change it?

theBishop

Banned
whatsinaname said:
Is a glass platter better/worse than other platters?

The player I use is an old Rega Planar 2 that I got off craigslist (150$! In original box!). It came with the original glass platter. Should I be looking to change it?

I wouldn't be.

ngower

modernkicks said:
true. but in my case I like that I can just incrementally upgrade, still have a pretty solid sounding table and have money to burn on other stuff at the same time.

I had the same logic as you and I'd rather have saved, keeping an older used turntable with a decent cartridge until I've saved enough for a nice table like the P3.

modernkicks said:
also don't mind if I ask, but why wouldn't getting a better cartridge be the first on your list of upgrades to make on a table like that? seems like that would be the most obvious/cheapest method to improve sound right off the bat. I intend to eventually buy a speed box and acryl-it platter but I can't see how they would dramatically improve the sound in the same way a better cart would.

Getting the Acryl-It allows for more options with cartridges (either MM or MC, I can't remember, but it allows for both as having the metal platter could tamper with the sound of the MC I believe). Additionally, I don't want to upgrade the cart and set it up improperly, so I'm waiting until I'm back home to have my local shop do it for me as there's no equivalent in my college town.

I've got the Speed Box and I can't say I've noticed any drastic change in sound, but the convenience of stability and not having to lift the platter to change speeds is nice.

ngower said:

Well, I got my MMF 2.2 for $150 below MSRP but still brand new, so I don't mind some upgrading.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2863.jpg

Two Fleetwood Mac albums ($3/ea), Keith Jarrett/Jan Garbarek ($1)
Cyndi Lauper, Bonnie Tyler, Pat Benatar (25¢/ea)
Japan early compilation ($6), Kate Bush ($8), Rocky Horror ($5)

I might get a two-panel frame for the Rocky Horror album and give it to a friend as a housewarming present after he moves at the end of summer.

Melchiah said:
I don't have a vinyl player anymore, and I've sold most of my vinyl collection away, except for these which I couldn't give up.

Aghast - Hexerei Im Zwielicht Der Finsternis (picture disc with a giant poster, limited to 500 copies)
Brighter Death Now - 1890 (limited to 800 copies)
Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction (the original gore covers)
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness (gatefold with the original gore covers)
Dead Can Dance - Within the Ream of a Dying Sun
Diamanda Galas - Plague Mass
Folkstorm - Noisient (limited to 600 copies)
Impetigo - Ultimo Mondo Cannibale
Naked City - Torture Garden (gatefold)
Napalm Death - Scum
Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration
Napalm Death - Mentally Murdered
Nuclear Death - Carrion for Worm
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
WASP - Animal (F**k Like a Beast)
WASP - I Wanna Be Somebody
WASP - The Last Command
WASP - Inside the Electric Circus
WASP - Headless Children
Xysma - Above the Mind of Morbidity

EDIT: Most of the albums are from 80ies and early 90ies.

sent you a PM regarding some of these :)

you might appreciate some of mine
2exr4mt.jpg

Danielsan

Well yesterday I got the new belt for my Technics SL-23 in the mail. The belt is a lot tighter, but the problem still persits, the platter will randomly slow down and this problem seems to be more frequent at the outer tracks of a record. Do any of you have suggestions as to what to try next?

Danielsan said:
Well yesterday I got the new belt for my Technics SL-23 in the mail. The belt is a lot tighter, but the problem still persits, the platter will randomly slow down and this problem seems to be more frequent at the outer tracks of a record. Do any of you have suggestions as to what to try next?
Aww, that's too bad! I think your problem is discussed here.. http://www.artandtechnology.com.au/audio/technics-sl23.html

Edit: Some more talks on these caps, even though I have no clue what they actually are: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/456570.html

Melchiah

Giant Robot said:
sent you a PM regarding some of these :)

you might appreciate some of mine
2exr4mt.jpg

I noticed. =)

Love the Reek of Putrefaction covers. We seem to have the same version. You have two copies of it? When did you bought yours? I bought mine in 1990, and it's still my all time favorite grind/death album. On a side note, the same year I bought the album, I joined a goregrind band called Genital Masticator. =)

Tried the "wood glue trick" to fix a badly messed up record (boards of Canada - music has the right to children). You just cover it in wood glue, wait for it to dry completely and peel.

Totally worked!

andylsun

Smision said:
Tried the "wood glue trick" to fix a badly messed up record (boards of Canada - music has the right to children). You just cover it in wood glue, wait for it to dry completely and peel.

Totally worked!

Make sure you use the right glue - I use titebond-II, it comes off in a single piece, unlike titebond-I which shatters into bits. Don't use it on 7 inch singles (or shellac 78's), as the vinyl is different and it will stick.

I tend to glue up any thrift/gw/yard sale finds, and it makes a fantastic difference. There's a long thread on Audiokarma about it.

Got a very dirty copy of Yessongs to try cleaning up this weekend. Not sure what I'll pick up for Record Store Day.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Suairyu

Banned
At my local now. Almost 9am but I'm
the only one here. My lover isn't so lucky - She turned up at one in Leeds at 6am and she's still number 50 in line. I might need to beg for two copies of The Fall - is it usually one per customer with these things?

scaffa

What a morning. Store was going to open at 10AM and they told me they were going to recieve just one Gorillaz - The Fall. So woke up early today and waited outside for 2 hours.

I was the only one waiting outside..

But success! Got Gorillaz - The Fall. The cover says 2759 btw..so I have my doubts about the limited number release.

Also bout Echo and the Bunnymen and Radiohead, now I need to buy a new record player..

Suairyu

Banned
And The Fall is mine. And I'm now on first name terms with my local! He opened the shop up early for me and we had a long chat.

Top Bottom