• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Since I started collecting in early april, I've bought about 65 records. Time to slow down (I ran out of amazon credit and CDs to sell, so I'm not stopping by choice!) Love vinyl.

Look at all of dat Jazz!!! I'm jealous!

I sat and really listened to Bitches Brew intensely last night for the first time in a while. Not sure exactly how much of that sound was accomplished with post-production, but that band just sounds psychic. And from what I understand, there wasn't much music written for it, as there was a few melodies and queues/gestures from Miles himself to signal the band to move on to something different.

and on vinyl, you can hear every last detail in all its uncompressed glory.

FLEABttn

Banned
My recent acquisitions. Sorry for pic quality:

5-7-11.jpg

entremet

What record player would you guys recommend? I know the big CE players don't make them anymore. Are there any companies that still do and are known for high quality players? I'd like to avoid buying used if possible--bad luck with used electronics--so that limits my options.

I don't want to disrespect your opinion about used electronics, but like I've said couple of times in this thread, it isn't that hard to find a rock solid hi-end turntable for cheap that will last you a lifetime if you do a bit of research.

Not that I have anything against Debut III or the P1 but you won't find them new under 300 bucks anyway

devon the dude said:
hot topic is having a massive sale on vinyl, both online and in store.....
Here is a google docs link to the list of stuff on sale, and prices

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=136JP5-0ofDoJfYnetCekzh1HEbiCHDkxu6Z9N2mzRao

edit....

I picked up from the sale
Spoon - Kill The Moonlight
Spoon - GA GA GA GA GA
TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes
Chromeo - Fancy Footwork
Chromeo - Business Casual
Pennywise - Full Circle
thanks for the heads up I think I might pick up a couple

theBishop

Banned
entrement said:
300 dollars max.

your best bet is to find a used table in good condition, and improve it. The good entry-level tables (I've got a Rega P1) start at $400.

Maybe you can find a decent Yamaha player and replace the cartridge. Avoid DJ tables, and cheap plastic Sony crap that sits on top of a component shelf system. DJ tables generally have higher tracking weight (hard on records longterm), and plastic crap just sucks... in addition to damaging records.

andylsun

I've just picked up an SL1200MK2 cheap from CL. I'm looking at the following styluses, and not sure which to go with. My budget is $100 and I'm in the USA.

Sure M97xE - $60
AT 440MLa - was $99 at Amazon.com, but currently not in stock
Denon DL-103/110/160 - possible to find under $100 used
Ortofon 2M Red

I've already got an Ortofon OM with a Stylus 10, but want to see if I can find an improvement, and want a brand new cart and stylus. The stylus is new on my OM, but the cartridge is old.

My phono stages (Yamaha A-1000 amp or HK 825 preamp) can both do MM and MC. I've never used an MC cart in my life!

Scored some good vinyl this week. Used Book Superstore in New England is stocking vinyl again. They stock the stores on Saturday, and charge $5 per record. By the Friday after, it's $5 for all you can carry (but the good/rare stuff has gone by then). They throw it all out Friday night and start again.

Picked up some Beach Boys (endless summer), some jazz and a brazilian folk/world singer just because I liked the sleeve. Will be going back Friday to clear out any Bach I can find...

andylsun

entrement said:
300 dollars max.

you can pick up a used Technics SL-1200 MK2 with a cartridge for around $250 from Daddy's Junky Music. If you don't mind all-manual, it's a awesome table. Make sure you give it a bit of TLC when you get it and you'll be set for life.

devon the dude said:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=136JP5-0ofDoJfYnetCekzh1HEbiCHDkxu6Z9N2mzRao

edit....

Spoon - GA GA GA GA GA
Chromeo - Fancy Footwork
Pennywise - Full Circle

This would be useful if their shipping to Canada wasn't batshit insane expensive.

FLEABttn

Banned
andylsun said:
you can pick up a used Technics SL-1200 MK2 with a cartridge for around $250 from Daddy's Junky Music. If you don't mind all-manual, it's a awesome table. Make sure you give it a bit of TLC when you get it and you'll be set for life.

It's not on their website.

Note that SL-1200's have sky-rocketed in price and any place selling them for $250 either doesn't know that they've sky-rocketed in price or is selling you some over-used DJ table that needs a lot of work.

Before I bought my Pro-Ject Debut III in March, I was looking for good used 1200's locally and on ebay and found none locally and good condition ones on ebay going for $500.

joelseph

andylsun said:

I have never seen a 1200 for 250. Don't you vinyl guys prefer belt-drives anyways?

andylsun

FLEABttn said:
It's not on their website.

Note that SL-1200's have sky-rocketed in price and any place selling them for $250 either doesn't know that they've sky-rocketed in price or is selling you some over-used DJ table that needs a lot of work.

Before I bought my Pro-Ject Debut III in March, I was looking for good used 1200's locally and on ebay and found none locally and good condition ones on ebay going for $500.

I called Daddy's Junky Music in Burlington, MA on Monday (actually looking for parts for mine), and they said they had 3 or 4 in local stores all around $250. I was pretty surprised, as the CL and eBay price seems to be higher. Call your local stores and see what they have.

I picked up a 'parts only' one on CL for $40 last week. It was missing a foot and a power switch, but the motor, main bearings and tonearm bearings are fine. Going to take it apart and sand/paint the cover. Sparkly midnight blue I think. It's running at the moment as my main table.

devon the dude said:

edit....

Spoon - GA GA GA GA GA
Chromeo - Fancy Footwork
Pennywise - Full Circle

Just got:

Boris - Smile Limited Edition Double Vinyl (description said it's the orange version)
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Mahjongg - Kontpab
No Age - Nouns
Shellac - 1000 Hurts
Slint - Tweez

for $58 shipped!!!!!!1

You can use the code HTA10OFFMY for $10 off $50!

holy shiz. also, I had no idea Hot Topic had such a good selection of vinyl.

ggUzZl.jpg

pwHKfl.jpg

sKYhFl.jpg

I just received this from my neighbors who were getting rid of it. The entire setup is old as hellll. Now, I know nothing about vinyl, so could I get a few starting tips? Like how to properly take care of a record, and the setup?

But my main question is, should I just upgrade this setup or should I just buy a new player altogether?

AvidNobody said:
I just received this from my neighbors who were getting rid of it. The entire setup is old as hellll. Now, I know nothing about vinyl, so could I get a few starting tips? Like how to properly take care of a record, and the setup?

But my main question is, should I just upgrade this setup or should I just buy a new player altogether?

damn...that looks incredible. Maybe look into replacing the needle so you know it's fresh...just google the model number and "stylus" or "needle"

Tips:

--Buy one of these right away - they are great for dusting. You hold it on there lightly while the record is spinning and it collects everything. Dirtier used records will need to be cleaned with a solution (I use rubbing alcohol + water, but you can buy solutions.) It keeps new records perfect. Use it every time, there's always more dust.

--Store your records vertically, not stacked.

--Hold them on the outer edge with no grooves. Try not to pinch between your fingers, as that'll leave a finger grease spot, but this is kinda unavoidable. I pinch them on the outside while taking it out of the cover, then put it between my palms after it's out.

--Clean the heck out of dirty used records, their dust and crap can wear down your needle.

--If you find something you really want to listen to, but it's completely dirty and messed up, you may be able to clean it up with the wood glue trick - cover it completely with elmer's wood glue, let it dry completely, then peel off the layer to pull out more stubborn dust. Make sure every last bit of the glue is gone (clean it with liquid after.) Only do this with cheap records of course. it's hit or miss, I've had it work and not work. It won't screw anything up more than it already is.

--Check your needle every once in a while for dust. Brush it off lightly, or gently run your finger over it to dislodge it.

hope that helps

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Went in looking for a used copy of Buckingham/Nicks that I'd seen last weekend (sold in the meantime), but found a sealed copy of this one while I was there.

5732768732_de62c08cf4_b.jpg

Also traded in some older stuff and picked up Inxs, Ultravox, a pair from Human League, and Talk Talk.

IMG_6552.jpg

Hey vinyl gaf! I have a problem with my new (very old) record player. There's an automatic shutdown if you press the tonearm towards the middle. My problem: it turns the player off way to early (at halftime). Is there a general solutio to that problem?

ziphona_solid_523_136023.jpg

It's one of those!

RDreamer

Picked up some good vinyl at Half Price books the other day:

King Crimson - Red
Genesis - Foxtrot
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Boston - Boston
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
DieNgamers said:
Hey vinyl gaf! I have a problem with my new (very old) record player. There's an automatic shutdown if you press the tonearm towards the middle. My problem: it turns the player off way to early (at halftime). Is there a general solutio to that problem?

ziphona_solid_523_136023.jpg

It's one of those!

Throw it in the bin. Any service on such a dreck of a machine will cost far more than what it's worth.

Sabbath on a better turntable will sound so much nicer. Trust me, I know.

cabottemp

Banned
have some good shit (to me, anyway) on pre-order.

man, this is like a sickness... before, all i wanted to waste my money on was videogames. Now all i want to waste my money on is vinyl.

I learned a valuable lesson: don't order shit on amazon, always order it from the band's website or the record label's website. i ordered the new balance and composure from amazon and it came in regular black, my buddy ordered it from the record label and it's a sweet translucent blue and orange mix.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
cabot said:
I learned a valuable lesson: don't order shit on amazon, always order it from the band's website or the record label's website.

No. Just went through this with Fleet Foxes new record, Sub Pop wanted $17 plus $7 shipping. Amazon had it for $14.99 + $3 shipping, or free shipping @ $25.

cabottemp

Banned
Borgnine said:
No. Just went through this with Fleet Foxes new record, Sub Pop wanted $17 plus $7 shipping. Amazon had it for $14.99 + $3 shipping, or free shipping @ $25.

sorry man, i'd rather pay the extra money if it means a limited edition pressing.

Alucrid

Banned
cabot said:
sorry man, i'd rather pay the extra money if it means a limited edition pressing.

It's not always a special edition when ordering through band websites. Then again I'm finding myself buying mostly white label releases so it doesn't matter much anyways.

cabottemp

Banned
Alucrid said:
It's not always a special edition when ordering through band websites. Then again I'm finding myself buying mostly white label releases so it doesn't matter much anyways.

what's a white label release?

cabot said:
I learned a valuable lesson: don't order shit on amazon, always order it from the band's website or the record label's website. i ordered the new balance and composure from amazon and it came in regular black, my buddy ordered it from the record label and it's a sweet translucent blue and orange mix.

I've gotten amazing deals with prime shipping. Siamese Dream for $16 comes to mind. Flying Lotus records for cheap. Odelay 4 disc set for practically nothing after coupon codes and amazon credit. I say order from there if you aren't looking for limited releases. Not to mention you get the classic amazon paranoid overpackaging treatment.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Smision said:
Not to mention you get the classic amazon paranoid overpackaging treatment.

Haha, last one came in it's own 12X12 flat pack, inside of a big 12X12X24 box filled with air bags.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Are there better sites to buy used vinyl from besides GEMM and MusicStack? I'm not looking for anything too uncommon, mostly just interested in good deals on '70s and '80s artists/bands that I never find locally.

sweet a record thread , here are the ones i have so far:( yea i keep a list of all them...)

7"
Black crows[rsd]
Blacklips/Pierced Arrow split
Circa survive-For trent
Constellations-set back
Japandroid - art cars
Japandroid- younger us
MIA-XXXO
Modest mouse-Satellie skin
Modestmouse-autmn bed
Modestmouse-Perpetual Motion Machine
School yard Heroes- Dude Wheres my skin?[fuzzy cover]
Sound of animals fighting-ocean and the sun

12"
Head & Heart-Head & Heart
Amanda Palmer- Who Killed Amanda Palmer?
Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavilion
Arcade fire- Suburbs
Band of horses- Cease to being
Band of horses-Everything all the time
Baroness-first/second[red]
Beck-Modern guilt
Bjork -volta
Black Tusk- Passage Through Purgatoy[hyper blast version]
Brite Future- glistening Pleasure 2.0[pink]
Camera obscura-My Maudlin Career
Camera obscura-Underachievers Please Try Harder
Cansei de Ser Sexy-Donkey
Circa survive-Juturna [reissue]
Circa survive-On letting go
Circa survive-On letting go Picture disc X2
Circa survive-The Inuit Seassions [reissue[
Daft punk-Tron legacy
Decemberists-Always the Bridesmaid: Volume I
Decemberists-Always the Bridesmaid: Volume II
Decemberists-Always the Bridesmaid: Volume III
Decemberists-Castaways and Cutouts
Decemberists-Coheed and cambria- Second stage[white]
Decemberists-Her Majesty the Decemberists
Decemberists-Picaresque
Decemberists-The Crane Wife
Decemberists-The Hazards of Love
Decemberists-THe tain/5song
Dir en grey-Uroboros
Fleet foxes-Fleet foxes w/ sungiant Ep
Fleet foxes-Hopeless in blues
GlasVegas-GlasVegas
Good old war--Only Way To Be Alone
Good old war--Only Way To Be Alone -Good old war-
Good old war-Good old war
Grand Archives-s/t
Jaguar Love- Take me to the sea
Joanna Newsom -Have One on Me
Kamelot- Ghost opera
Ladytron-Velocifero
Maps Of Atlants- You, and me and the mountain
MIA-XXO
Michal jackson-thriller
Mighty Mighty Bosstones-Pin Points & Gin Joints
Nine Inch Nails- Pretty hate machine[2010 reissue]
Nine inch nails-Downward Spiral[2008 reissue]
Of Montreal-False Priest -[red]
Of Montreal-Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
Of Montreal-Satinc panic in the attic.
Of Montreal-the past is a grotesque animal
Of Montreal-The Sunlandic Twins
Okkervil river-The Stand Ins
Orphaned land- Mabool
Piebald-Vol I-II(RSD)
Polysics- We ate the machine/karate house
Portishead-Dummy
Portishead-Portishead
Portishead-Third [delux]
Portugal the man- American ghetto
Radiohead- king of limbs