• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness to SAO (snicker) they never presented anyone as being even vaguely on Kirito's level outside of Kayaba (the fucking designer of the game who can just give himself super stats), and Kayaba being a "badass" was apparently enough for him to pull a posthumous Karma Houdini where they act like he was this great guy for giving them a network of video games they can avoid real life in ignoring the fact that he murdered like 5000 people for no actual reason.

Honestly, this what I really don't get about people who enjoy SAO. Why do they give this guy a pass? There is literally no explanation as to why he trapped everybody in the game!

Why wasn't this guy given a motive or backstory? It's not that hard!

Like, here's a backstory for him: He wanted revenge on the people who genuinely wanted to live in a virtual world as opposed to the real one. It would go with the whole VR and the effect on the human mind thing that SAO was apparently trying to do! Make him have a daughter or son who ended up trapped in the game because of an accident or something and he wanted the world to know the fear and pain he/she felt!

Just something, anything's better than: "I forgot, but I do remember that castle in the sky I saw that one time!"

Cornbread78

A lot of accounts would still be around if people just figured out that TLR is Not Safe for NeoGAF.

Yeah, I'm trying to clear out my incomplete list. I might just drop stuff like Shuffle!, but there are other like Punchline, which I want to finish up. My Crunchy queue will thank me for being cleaned.

Go_Ly_Dow

Shokugeki no Soma -20

This show is so so good. So much character exposition and variety this episode. The cliffhangers are always great too. Soma wtff!!

Everyone who was put off by episode 1 should give this show a second chance.

So entertaining.

ibyea

Banned
Rokka-Brave of the Six Flowers: 2
Why does the princess have bunny ears? Whatever.

So this episode was better, even if not that compelling. Basically Adlet and Princess Natechanya begin their hero's journey in order to defeat the big bad like any generic fantasy. They encounter some fiend and fights happen. The ending of the episode sets up the show for something much more interesting though.
There is someone trying to kill the Braves and turns out it is another Brave doing it.

kewlmyc

GATE 08

It was cool seeing Rory BTFO that journalist lady politician, but other than that, it was a rather dull episode. Seems to be building up to next episode, which I assume will be fanservice field.
That ending twist was unexpected however. Itami is unlike any "harem" protag I've seen. Dude in his 30s with a stable job and an ex-wife.

Also lol at Drills X Sergeant Mullet. How unexpected.

Ushio and Tora 08

This world getting so casually used to the supernatural is so odd. I feel that they're not really explaining that very well.

Classroom Crisis 8

Things got interesting, Nagisa finally heard what he wanted to hear from his brother in order to take action against him. A-TEC's survival and his rise in ranks are now the goals he is trying to achieve. And I guess in the end he ended up dumping sensei's sister for work lol.

Nafe

I went back to hear it, the way she talks just need a 「~daccha」 or 「~ccha」, but the tone of her voice is totally diferent. I'm not familiar with Kagome seiyuu, since I only watched some parts of Inuyasha when it was running on the local network.
Urusei Yatsura is one of the good ones, Ranma 1/2 too, though it seems some people here can't stand one character ( I have no problem with him). I need to get back to Urusei Yatsura myself, watched some episodes some time ago and have the intention of finishing it this year, since Narag has me in some list.

You (
should have
)should (
posted
)post more about Doremi. щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

Haha, I was thinking she just needs the "~ccha" and it would be Lum.
Hm, maybe it's because I haven't really seen much UY but right away when I heard her talking I thought "Hey, it's Lum!"

I don't recall but have you seen much Gintama? Satsuki Yukino is in that as Shinpachi's older sister Tae. I guess the other longer running show I've heard her in was as Aquila Yuna in Saint Seiya Omega. Otherwise she's been in more support roles recently like Oreki's sister in Hyouka or the teacher/club supervisor in Free!.

Yeah, on the one hand I want to talk more about Doremi as I really like the show and to promote it to others to watch. On the other though I find I don't have too much to say other than maybe summarizing what happened or something more or less like "this funny part was funny" and I want to avoid too many posts like that.

The longer posts can be a bit more time and work than they seem as well. It also doesn't help where some have outright publicly stated that they just skip over posts like that.

Omigawa de goddess~
I'm watching Classrom Crisis for Yuu Kobayashi.

I've been watching the show as well.
I wonder if anyone told firehawk about that? Haha.
She actually has a bit more of a role in the show compared to some other recent ones she was in.

Shokugeki no Soma - 20

I loved how plenty of characters got their share of exposition, however small it may have been. What the fuck at the Aldini brother, I was like who the hell is this dude? I'm kind of disappointed that the blond brother I nicknamed Gary hasn't gotten to fight his Ash yet.
Man seeing everyone starting the dishes and putting on the game faces made me fired up, so the last moment sort of backfired for me you could say! I would've been so pumped if he just looked like he was about to start some shit. I'm rooting for you Peacock!
kbN5b96.jpg
uKi8vpw.jpg

Spice-master style

Ascheroth

Soma - 20

Like everyone else already said: So much stuff going on, yet still over so soon, lol. I like how they actually expanded on the manga and showed what everyone was doing during their preparation time in more detail. It's little details like this that make the difference between a good adaption and a great one.
One thing I really love about Soma is how it handles it's side characters. They are all such a fun bunch with great dynamics between each other.

Firemind

Shokugeki no Soma - 20

I loved how plenty of characters got their share of exposition, however small it may have been. What the fuck at the Aldini brother, I was like who the hell is this dude? I'm kind of disappointed that the blond brother I nicknamed Gary hasn't gotten to fight his Ash yet.
Man seeing everyone starting the dishes and putting on the game faces made me fired up, so the last moment sort of backfired for me you could say! I would've been so pumped if he just looked like he was about to start some shit. I'm rooting for you Peacock!
It looks like the dumbest cooking show ever. What's with the photoshop backgrounds? :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GATE really is turning into Stargate, complete with a condemnation of Civilian leadership. lol

But at least Stargate had to make the military look good in order to get all the support from the Airforce. GATE just came out of a crazy dude's head.

GATE really is turning into Stargate, complete with a condemnation of Civilian leadership. lol

But at least Stargate had to make the military look good in order to get all the support from the Airforce. GATE just came out of a crazy dude's head.

The manga gets more and more 'evil politicians trying to crush the heart of glorious Nippon army'. TBH it got a bit stale.

I wish they brought back evil american president.

Sterok

Aikatsu 146

Took Aikatsu 8 long enough to get here. Way too many filler episodes lately. Don't know why Hikari got that random cameo. Lol at Soleil hijacking it for their own event. They've learned from Mizuki how to make this big event about them. As for the chosen ones, I more or less called it. Though not that drastic a Starlight sweep. Ichigo was a lock, and the rest of Soleil had that tour to boost them. Maybe Ran will finally break into the top 10. Mizuki is Mizuki. Sakura is the Starlight Queen. Akari is the main character. Sumire I wasn't certain on, but I was thinking that she'd be making it based on how much hype she'd been getting. Yurika was the big surprise (I was expecting Seira), since it's not like she'd been doing anything special in the show. Then again she was Starlight's number 2 last we saw, and at a quick glance she seems to have more fan art than Ran. So I can see why she's so high up. Which means Ichigo, Mizuki, and Yurika are the only ones to make it to all 3 big units thus far.

Well, I've caught up on Aikatsu. Now it's a weekly series for me. It'll be nice to add this to my weekend schedule.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The manga gets more and more 'evil politicians trying to crush the heart of glorious Nippon army'. TBH it got a bit stale.

I wish they brought back evil american president.
I think knowing that a right wing former JSDF guy wrote this story is probably hurting it more than it should in my eyes. It just makes this all so transparent, unfortunately.

Soma - 20

This show just oozes production value. I notice that this anime is really good about avoiding cheeky mouths, which have become a pet peeve of mine. Everything looks just so good, the effort put into the food and...dayum, I'm just impressed by the writing, too (credit to the manga in that regard I suppose). There's just so much attention to detail to so many characters and dishes just about every episode. I'm wondering about the pace though concerning these prelims. Episodes beforehand often focused on just 1-2 dishes + resulting elaborate foodgasms. If they were to keep that up these prelims would take forever.

I hope we get more seasons of this show. If this doesn't sell well enough to justify more, I'll fly to Japan and slap Otakus and co. left and right.

PS: Boooo on those terrible fanservicy shots. So god damn unnecessary.

TTG

Was directed here from another thread:

Is it acceptable to ask for suggestions here? The Daily Show ended, sports are in off season and so is HBO by the looks of things; I have no reason to turn on the television lately is what I'm saying. It's been at least 5 years since I've last made inquires, what's good? My only stipulation is no teenagers saving the world.

Also, here's a short list of anime I really liked way back when. This will be a surprise to exactly none of you: Cowboy Bebop, GITS, Fooly Cooly.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
GATE 08

Man I love this MC; he's great. He would be perfect if was stabbed to death in a random street crime in downtown Tokyo and was reborn as a slime in the world on the other side of the Gate. One can always hope :(

Is it acceptable to ask for suggestions here? The Daily Show ended, sports are in off season and so is HBO by the looks of things; I have no reason to turn on the television lately is what I'm saying. It's been at least 5 years since I've last made inquires, what's good? My only stipulation is no teenagers saving the world.

Also, here's a short list of anime I really liked way back when. This will be a surprise to exactly none of you: Cowboy Bebop, GITS, Fooly Cooly.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Black Lagoon
Gankutsuou
Samurai Champloo

Yeah people ask for recs all the time here, no worries.

I recommend you look at the second post in the thread, very extensive intro.

I would recommend you jump into some super highly regarded shows from over the years first, mainly Ping Pong the Animation and Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Me personally would recommend Kaiji and Space Dandy.

If you liked Bebop check out Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo.
For FLCL check out Gunbuster, Diebuster and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
GITS I've seen but that was years ago. Psycho-Pass maybe? Keep expectations down.

Yeah people ask for recs all the time here, no worries.

I recommend you look at the second post in the thread, very extensive intro.

I would recommend you jump into some super highly regarded shows from over the years first, mainly Ping Pong the Animation and Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Me personally would recommend Kaiji and Space Dandy.

If you liked Bebop check out Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo.
For FLCL check out Gunbuster, Diebuster and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
GITS I've seen but that was years ago. Psycho-Pass maybe? Keep expectations down.
Psycho pass is the closest. And honestly outside of this thread most people love Psycho pass s1. So expectations don't really need to be moved up or down.

Psycho pass is the closest. And honestly outside of this thread most people love Psycho pass s1. So expectations don't really need to be moved up or down.

Well compared to GITS yes you should probably lower your expectations because PP has the subtlety of a brick, I'd like to say I like Psycho-Pass but there are a lot of elements that turn me sour on it

Quasar

Gate 8 - Fun times seeing and hearing Rory go to town.

Soma 20 - Was alright. looked great as always. Definitely making a curry tonight.

I really like Psycho-Pass.

It's a shame it never got a second season.

Of course, if someone was to remind me of a supposed second season, I might be forced to remind that person of a supposed second season to Darker Than Black...

*right eye twitches*

Cornbread78

Man, are you looking for action/adventure stuff, otlr would you be interested in some slice of life, comedy or romance stuff?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've meant to do that for a while.
I think you'll find there are actually very few similarities between something like Oshii's GITS and Psycho-Pass when you stack them more directly against one another. GITS isn't really about presenting a particular message or hard coded lesson, instead it presents its concepts and ideas in a respectful and intelligent manner. Nearly every piece seems to purposefully frame itself in context to these ideas that it presents.

I think you'll find there are actually very few similarities between something like Oshii's GITS and Psycho-Pass when you stack them more directly against one another. GITS isn't really about presenting a particular message or hard coded lesson, instead it presents its concepts and ideas in a respectful and intelligent manner. Nearly every piece seems to purposefully frame itself in context to these ideas that it presents.

I think they are the only two similar series I've seen in that style, don't want to call it Cyberpunk but close. I know Mardock Scramble exists but I haven't seen that.

Pyscho-Pass I feel is fine on it's own but I can see why people don't like it because it can be pretty dumb and has trouble handling more serious material, which it tries to do often. It also has a real hard-on for reference post-colonial literature for little reason other then to namedrop. It was just a recommendation.

Laputa_94

Now that I completed Mazinger Z I continue my quest to watch classic mecha anime, this time with Macross. Going in I knew next to nothing about the series and am really enjoying it. I can't think of a single complaint so far the setting, characters, designs, soundtrack, and animation are all great. I am getting the same feeling watching this as I did with Gundam Zeta, there is just something about 80's animation I find so captivating.
macross_streamed2.jpg

Narag

I have some JoJo doujins for you

I have a thread for you.

Now that I completed Mazinger Z I continue my quest to watch classic mecha anime, this time with Macross. Going in I knew next to nothing about the series and am really enjoying it. I can't think of a single complaint so far the setting, characters, designs, soundtrack, and animation are all great. I am getting the same feeling watching this as I did with Gundam Zeta, there is just something about 80's animation I find so captivating.
macross_streamed2.jpg

A64d0vx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom