• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

bKtkjCv.jpg
I feel sick.

Cornbread78

Gate ep.8
Fucking hell yeah Rory, way to put that "little girl" in her place. Sounds just like US anti military media and government officials. A little nationalistic? Hell yeah, but that is the same shit that US military (and many other national militaries) personnel deal with everyday from certain politicians that dislike the military. I'm not sure about the Japanese Diet and how they operate, but it appeared to be a pretty good representation of someone trying to push their agenda falsely and getting put in their place... hard, lol.

Articalys

Anybody know if any adaptations this season are putting in the work for their source material? I've seen news that Gakkou Gurashi is getting some big preposterously insane manga sales boosts, and Overlord got a small bump for its LN volumes.

Futurecard Buddyfight:100 (Hundred) Episode 20 (engDub)
CM-LqykWsAAXqfb.png

Wow one lost makes him completely crippled, I kind of enjoy what they did with this episode and hope they keep it going.
not having him recover after one episode was great

Cornbread78

Dropping Shuffle? Pfft...

It's been on hiatus for a couple months already...
I might finish it at some point. I just really hate how miserable all the girls are portrayed in the series. I mean, they are all upset because they are in love with the MC and they know they aren't going to get a chance. I just finished the arc with the lolive girl coming back to earth and now it's all about Asa. I mean, you can tell where the stories going, but damn, wrong gurl, wrong girl. I was just so sad to watch, lol.

Anybody know if any adaptations this season are putting in the work for their source material? I've seen news that Gakkou Gurashi is getting some big preposterously insane manga sales boosts, and Overlord got a small bump for its LN volumes.

I think Prison School, Ore Monogatari and Shokugeki no Soma got bumps.

Cornbread78

There was a linked article a couple weeks on Crunchyroll that said Gakkou Gurashi jumped 150%

I'd like to think that Gangsta and Shimoneta would get a boost.

Maybe enough to guarantee more seasons if there's more to adapt.

But I doubt it.

John Blade

Now that I completed Mazinger Z I continue my quest to watch classic mecha anime, this time with Macross. Going in I knew next to nothing about the series and am really enjoying it. I can't think of a single complaint so far the setting, characters, designs, soundtrack, and animation are all great. I am getting the same feeling watching this as I did with Gundam Zeta, there is just something about 80's animation I find so captivating.
macross_streamed2.jpg

Oh man.....wait till later on the show as the animation quality drop quite a bit. You will notice it easily. Also, wish you luck in this show. Might be one of my favorite old anime show and still love it even today.

Was directed here from another thread:

Is it acceptable to ask for suggestions here? The Daily Show ended, sports are in off season and so is HBO by the looks of things; I have no reason to turn on the television lately is what I'm saying. It's been at least 5 years since I've last made inquires, what's good? My only stipulation is no teenagers saving the world.

Also, here's a short list of anime I really liked way back when. This will be a surprise to exactly none of you: Cowboy Bebop, GITS, Fooly Cooly.

Hear are some of my recommendations based on the shows you like and your only prerequisite:

Black Lagoon
Hellsing Ultimate
Tiger & Bunny
Trigun
Outlaw Star
The Lupin III franchise. Within the franchise I'd say watch either one of Mystery of Mamo, The Castle of Cagiostro, or The Women Called Fujiko Mine. The former two are movies and the latter is a 13 episode series.

TTG

Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Black Lagoon
Gankutsuou
Samurai Champloo

Yeah people ask for recs all the time here, no worries.

I recommend you look at the second post in the thread, very extensive intro.

I would recommend you jump into some super highly regarded shows from over the years first, mainly Ping Pong the Animation and Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Me personally would recommend Kaiji and Space Dandy.

If you liked Bebop check out Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo.
For FLCL check out Gunbuster, Diebuster and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
GITS I've seen but that was years ago. Psycho-Pass maybe? Keep expectations down.

Psycho pass is the closest. And honestly outside of this thread most people love Psycho pass s1. So expectations don't really need to be moved up or down.

That's a lot of titles to work through(I've only seen Champloo), thanks. I'll get back to you with some impressions.

Man, are you looking for action/adventure stuff, otlr would you be interested in some slice of life, comedy or romance stuff?

I don't have much of a preference except I don't particularly enjoy the typical anime high school setting nor the teenage hero's journey. It's why I was apprehensive about asking originally, I know how irritating requests that mostly articulate dislikes and are vague on preferences can be, but it's all I got. That and my unconditional love for Bebop, FLCL and Ghost in The Shell.

EDIT:
Hear are some of my recommendations based on the shows you like and your only prerequisite:

Black Lagoon
Hellsing Ultimate
Tiger & Bunny
Trigun
Outlaw Star
The Lupin III franchise. Within the franchise I'd say watch either one of Mystery of Mamo, The Castle of Cagiostro, or The Women Called Fujiko Mine. The former two are movies and the latter is a 13 episode series.

Trigun was one of the first shows I've seen, it was fun. I'll check out the others. Actually, maybe I can offer a recommendation in exchange? One of my favorite sci fi books from last year was The Quantum Prince. The main character is based on Lupin from what I understand(gentleman thief).

Cornbread78

That's a lot of titles to work through(I've only seen Champloo), thanks. I'll get back to you with some impressions.

I don't have much of a preference except I don't particularly enjoy the typical anime high school setting nor the teenage hero's journey. It's why I was apprehensive about asking originally, I know how irritating requests that mostly articulate dislikes and are vague on preferences can be, but it's all I got. That and my unconditional love for Bebop, FLCL and Ghost in The Shell.

Fate Zero might be something you would like then. Rokka is an action/mystery show currently airing, Working is a Slice if Life Comedy ( in season 3 now). A sad love story in Plastic Memories, and something completely off the rails (messed up super ecchi, mecha based trainwreck or a show, but highly entertaining) would be Cross Ange.

Most of the other stuff I watch is Romcoms and SoL stuff, which takes place in schools a lot of times (not my favorite setting either)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I feel sick.

Why? I literally can not see a problem here. It looks fantastic. I'm surprised visual effects in cinema have reached these height. Though it still looks good, I wonder why they decided to use a CG-based human after going through the trouble of growing a real alien. Its probably that camera effect thing they do like how they'll pour white paint instead of milk when trying to take a photo of milk pouring into cereal. In this case, a real human boy probably would have made the whole poster look cheap. I'm glad they didn't spare any expenses because the final poster turned out great.

Laputa_94

Oh man.....wait till later on the show as the animation quality drop quite a bit. You will notice it easily. Also, wish you luck in this show. Might be one of my favorite old anime show and still love it even today.

Well that sucks to hear, but from coming off the original Mazinger I should be able to handle it. If the show keeps me as engaged as it is right now I can see it becoming a favorite of mine as well,

Jarmel

Banned
Gate-8

This is so weird.
The dude has an ex-wife? Like what the fuck. I can't remember the last time we had a divorcee as a protagonist before.

Defuser

GATE ep 8
Look at all dem poiliticians with a elf fetish.

So Itami is a Ranger AND Special forces? Although having poor evaluation and attitude throughout his career but damn he has the bragging rights at least.

And a Ex-wife? Itami doesn't really fall into the standard boring protagainist tropes besides being a otaku although he rarely shows it.

IM@S Cinderella Girls 19(?)

Poser-kun gets what's coming to her.

Miku sans-nekomimi actually looks really good. Actually, Miku has had some really good character designs this season.

ROKU JA NAI

Narag

Hidamari Sketch x365 4
I really enjoyed the A part of the episode as it was nice to see Miya get that focus. B part, however, was a little disappointing as it felt like it was just rounding out the edges of the related S1 episode.

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 14
Had I not already sworn fealty to Garnet, it's more likely than not that Opal would be my queen.

Mushishi 8
Found the first half to be rather lackluster but the ending more than made up for it.

Robot Girls Z Plus 4
Mad respect to Team Z for clearing the fuck out when the going got tough.

Symphogear GX 08

Well then.

I was right about Hibiki's dad. He's complete scumbag tier. He's definitely up there I think on the Worst Dad's in Anime list. Abandons his family because he can't
take the heat coming from people bullying/sending death threats to his daughter/vandalization to their home (there's actually more specifics that they didn't reveal here but I'll wait in case they elaborate more on this in future episodes).
He even had the gall to make Hibiki pay the food bill even though it was clear she was upset but he just doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself. I didn't detect any hints of remorse, and it seems that he doesn't necessarily think that what he did was a bad thing and is significantly downplaying the effects of what he's done to Hibiki.

As for the Autoscorer's, they elaborated a bit more on what their plans are, which is to seemingly
"dissect the world". Since alchemy deals with the whole assembling/disassembling thing it's clear they'll be using that in conjunction with the world's "ley lines" to do just that.

This later led into two fights. The first which highlighted how much of a negative effect Hibiki's meeting with her dad has had on her combat performance and it also created a schism inbetween Kirika and Shirabe which then led into the fight at the end of the episode where this was solved.

I have to say I liked the Micha vs Kirika/Shirabe fight a lot more than last episode's Galie vs Maria fight. Mainly because there was some good animation here, and the combat pace was quick and frenetic, a lot of things happened here compared to last episode's duel which was clearly due to budgetary reasons imo. The
Ignite Module activation
here was great and led into the best parts of this battle which ended with that awesome combo between Kirika and Shirabe. I would make a gif of it but I'm horrible at keeping the file size down to appropriate levels but if you watch the episode you'll know what I'm talking about. One thing to note here was that Micha had a [/spoiler]transformation/boosted mode[/spoiler] of her own but it seems like her own schtick and not something that the remaining Autoscorers will do.

Cornbread78

Prison School ep. 8
Poor Gakuto, that was a tough watch. All that work flushed down the toilet, lol. Shimbo the bimbo also needs a beat down for being a douche. Looks like next week is gonna be the true showdown with the Underground Council.

kewlmyc

Gate-8

This is so weird.
The dude has an ex-wife? Like what the fuck. I can't remember the last time we had a divorcee as a protagonist before.

He's also over 30. And has a job!

The fact that the MC breaks so many LN protagonist molds is one reason why I'm enjoying this so much. That or anime plots have been so one note as of late that I'm immediately attracted to anything not staring a teenager in high school.

I gave up on Gate after the 1st episode. I still see a lot of people watching it. Should I jump back in?

Depends. Why did you initially drop it?

Depends. Why did you initially drop it?
Because the MC was another Otaku that is magically all powerful and can fight, and because I saw the harem of girls on the poster. I saw the premise as:

Otaku guy that is in the military only for the money to buy more anime goes to lala-land to fight a war against other-dimensional enemies and finds the girls that he once thought were only in his shows. Tons of harem situations ensue.

Now I would love to be told that i was wrong and that i judged the show way too fast because of 1 episode only, but considering how I already had 11 other shows to check out, I dropped it there and then.

Cornbread78

Because the MC was another Otaku that is magically all powerful and can fight, and because I saw the harem of girls on the poster. I saw the premise as:

Otaku guy that is in the military only for the money to buy more anime goes to lala-land to fight a war against other-dimensional enemies and finds the girls that he once thought were only in his shows. Tons of harem situations ensue.

Now I would love to be told that i was wrong and that i judged the show way too fast because of 1 episode only, but considering how I already had 11 other shows to check out, I dropped it there and then.

Not even close to this so far, lol. Well, other than Rory sitting on his lap on purpose, but, you will find out more about her later, lol. I think maybe the elf girl might like him, but nothing in the story on it at all.

No shipping, no harem, no otaku crap other than some jokes earlier in the series.

It's completely different than I went in expecting, let's put it that way, lol.

kewlmyc

The harem antics have been remotely non existent to this point. Instead of harem schlock, is seems more like military propaganda at this point since the war is so one sided and the JSDF do no wrong. However, the premise and protagonists aren't something we see often in anime, and the action and characters (both soldiers and other world residents) are interesting enough for the show to be a good watch. I hear it gets worse as it goes along, but luckily we haven't gotten to that point yet. I'd say check out at least until episode 4 to see if you're interested.

Not even close to this so far, lol. Well, other than Rory sitting on his lap on purpose, but, you will find out more about her later, lol. I think maybe the elf girl might like him, but nothing in the story on it at all.

No shipping, no harem, no otaku crap other than some jokes earlier in the series.

It's completely different than I went in expecting, let's put it that way, lol.
The harem antics have been remotely non existent to this point. Instead of harem schlock, is seems more like military propaganda at this point since the war is so one sided. However, the premise and protagonists aren't something we see often in anime, and the action and characters (both soldiers and other world residents) are interesting enough for the show to be a good watch. I hear it gets worse as it goes along, but luckily we haven't gotten to that point yet. I'd say check out at least until episode 4 to see if you're interested.
Hmm interesting. I may give the series a shot again then. I guess I judged it way too quickly. In a way it's good if i like it, since I'll be able to binge it next week. It is also a 2-cour if I remember correctly.

Defuser

Ok l'll tell you. You were dead wrong to assume to premise and watch only the first episode to give a quick judgement. Alot of people enjoy the show because of the one sided slaughter,culture shock and also because MC went against the standard expectations of what people like you who thought what he would be. He have never shown any interest to any of the girls nor got into any typical situations which is hardly in it.

Cornbread78

Hmm interesting. I may give the series a shot again then. I guess I judged it way too quickly. In a way it's good if i like it, since I'll be able to binge it next week. It is also a 2-cour if I remember correctly.

I didn't even notice it was 2-cour until you said that... Sweet, something that I can definitely watch this fall if it stays on the path it's on.

Not that it matters that much, but MAL does not list it as harem or romance at all, so..
Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Military

Quasar

It is basically a Japanese Stargate. Which may be why I like it so much, as I miss Stargate (or at least the early seasons). Though Itani is a bit different from Jack.

fertygo

Ok l'll tell you. You were dead wrong to assume to premise and watch only the first episode to give a quick judgement. Alot of people enjoy the show because of the one sided slaughter,culture shock and also because MC went against the standard expectations of what people like you who thought what he would be. He have never shown any interest to any of the girls nor got into any typical situations which is hardly in it.

Shit straight up entertaining if only for culture shock gimmick

Wooser Mugen 8

Isn't most anime that's not marketed towards kids aired at late night?

I was actually doubting this statement up until the latest episode aired, what with the
transformation sequences
and all.

Was still a pretty funny episode though, what with
Grasshopper Wooser
and all.

Though really the main thing I'm always looking forward to in this series is its amazing ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom