• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

I doubt anybody reads my impressions on these old ass shows, but I enjoy writing them anyways. When talking about episodes I generally write something like: "In Episode 4, the main character goes on a trip and meets an old friend along the way, but at what first starts off as a chance encounter ends up being more than that by the end". Do people enjoy those types of descriptions when talking about a show or should I not bother? I feel that its not really spoliery but still gives you a taste of what to expect, no different to a blurb I guess. In that sense, if you want to go in 100% free of any exposure you can just skip it outright, although screenshots might prevent that, but even then I generally try to make them as inconspicuous as possible, although I admit that I can take loads of them and it can be overwhelming, as you can see by my post above :$

I generally don't like going into details too much although there's value in postmortems and dissections of episodes/shows/films.

It depend. I do read your post once a while if it's a show I am interested in or very old show like City Hunter. I guess it depend on the people who going to read it.

For me, the type of impression you do is interested and need a lot of time to write it out then say an entire impression of the entire show from beginning to end like I am doing. I guess people want to have an idea of the show before they might want to get into it.

As for spoiler, if you give the audience an idea without spoiling it is fine. For me, I will literally will spoil it if it's either a very bad show and need to spoil it as no one will watch it or if it's those situation I have no clue of what is happening in the show and might need to post questions about it.

I've said this countless times, but all it takes is looking at the views vs posts on this thread. Trust me when I say there has to be someone out there reading what you say.
Hai there friends.

Shokugeki No Soma 21

Yeah the pacing in this finale of the prelims is gonna be slow to take us to the end of this season, really hope they end this season with a "s2 in 2016/2017" confirmation because if this is all we get for animated Soma it's going to be an awkward as fuck stop point.

Sterok

Charlotte 9

Huh, that's a different thing.
So there was a bad future until there wasn't. But did Yuu also go time traveling or what?

Shimoneta 9

Kosuri continues to screw up everything. Amazing trap reveal. They finally figure out how to beat Anna.

Gintama Genderbend Arc

I find it hilarious that this arc kept going after it would have normally stopped, that's where all the best stuff was.

Final confirmation that all the women in this series are more useful then the men, was dying when they were taking care of it while Gori and Ginko were just
latest

TUSR

Banned
What do you mean by this? I just don't want to spoil the experience for people I guess, but at the same time I want to give some content for people who are on the fence to take a peek at so they can make their own decision as to if it's a show they'd enjoy or not, or to grab the attention from people who don't want to watch the show/has no interest in said show. I guess in that sense I don't intent to write dissections and analysis. In any case, and as you can tell I refrain from the breaded DREADED black bars.

an offhanded remark about the inability to come to a consensus on what should and shouldn't be spoilered.

Not really an example of it today.
nah BRO

javac

an offhanded remark about the inability to come to a consensus on what should and shouldn't be spoilered.

I still don't get it, everyone is going to be different in regards to how they write, what they consider to be a spoiler and the people reading are going to differ in regards to the sensitivity of certain information. It's the writers job to discern how they want to go about it, and I feel that when it comes to my impressions I deal with the issue of spoilers to the best of my ability. It's not an important matter, so long as you aren't being a jerk about it. My comment in reality was more or less just asking if people thought blurb like descriptions were of any value.

Ushio & Tora 9

The episode was pretty good though I can see why it didn't resonate with some people, the "green earth think of the animals" message was about as subtle as a punch to the dick and truly felt like a relic of the 90's and I kept expecting a PSA to air at the end about recycling or something else. I'm assuming the two siblings will come back later to be important considering their shown in the OP though I wish we could see more of them fighting this episode.

javac

I don't disagree

Haha, sorry for the misunderstanding.

On the topic of anime I finished Episode 26 of City Hunter yesterday, 26 episodes in 3 days. I want to watch more, and I might, but I'm thinking of watching something else today, not to say that watching more City Hunter isn't an exciting prospect, but I've got a good backlog to fight through. I'm thinking of watching the Area 88 OVA tonight but knowing me, I'll just watch more City Hunter.

Mailbox

Ok, so i wanna be very clear when i say this:

Yuki Yuna is a Hero is the most frustrating anime I have ever watched.
Not worst, not bad, just most frusterating.

The music is great (especially the Nier-esque tracks)
Some of the characters and interactions are interesting (Fuu and Karin)
The slice of life bits at the beginning are good in and of themself
The later drama scenes (or at least some of them) are well done.

BUT GOD DAMN they ruin it with a lot of the bad shit:

Seriously, the message this anime conveys is horrible. Its basically saying "deny everything and do as you're told until things go well". Yuna is the character in the biggest amount in denial and there is nothing to show for it. Sure in the ending she becomes catatonic, but that has nothing to do with her denial and it sure as hell has no lasting consequences to the character after it ends.

With the exception of Karin, no one changes. Everyone has a full circle in their arcs and GRRRRRRR.... It's just so damn annoying.

We learn so much about how the outside world is shitty, how there is nothing but pain for those who try to save what is left because some asshole god needs sacrifices to use its power, and in the end what changes? NOT A DAMN THING.

There are so many plotholes in the end that its damn ridiculous.
This might be the only anime where upon a main character telling people "its okay, we have to keep fighting" i actually got pissed at said character. I disagreed with every damn thing Yuna did in the last couple of episodes. Fuu's character flipping from "i wanna destroy it" to "i have to stop people from destroying it" sure as hell didn't help either.

God, that ending was crap!

Episodes 6-10 are well done, i'll give this show that. Episodes 1-5 are poorly compiled thematically. and episodes 11 and 12 are damn frustrating, with 12 almost ruining the good stuff that came out of episodes 6-10.

I was so frustrated that i was practically yelling and other people living with me got worried.

I need something to relax me....
Maybe i'll rewatch something...

ibyea

Banned
Ok, so i wanna be very clear when i say this:

Yuki Yuna is a Hero is the most frustrating anime I have ever watched.
Not worst, not bad, just most frusterating.

The music is great (especially the Nier-esque tracks)
Some of the characters and interactions are interesting (Fuu and Karin)
The slice of life bits at the beginning are good in and of themself
The later drama scenes (or at least some of them) are well done.

BUT GOD DAMN they ruin it with a lot of the bad shit:

Seriously, the message this anime conveys is horrible. Its basically saying "deny everything and do as you're told until things go well". Yuna is the character in the biggest amount in denial and there is nothing to show for it. Sure in the ending she becomes catatonic, but that has nothing to do with her denial and it sure as hell has no lasting consequences to the character after it ends.

With the exception of Karin, no one changes. Everyone has a full circle in their arcs and GRRRRRRR.... It's just so damn annoying.

We learn so much about how the outside world is shitty, how there is nothing but pain for those who try to save what is left because some asshole god needs sacrifices to use its power, and in the end what changes? NOT A DAMN THING.

There are so many plotholes in the end that its damn ridiculous.
This might be the only anime where upon a main character telling people "its okay, we have to keep fighting" i actually got pissed at said character. I disagreed with every damn thing Yuna did in the last couple of episodes. Fuu's character flipping from "i wanna destroy it" to "i have to stop people from destroying it" sure as hell didn't help either.

God, that ending was crap!

Episodes 6-10 are well done, i'll give this show that. Episodes 1-5 are poorly compiled thematically. and episodes 11 and 12 are damn frustrating, with 12 almost ruining the good stuff that came out of episodes 6-10.

I was so frustrated that i was practically yelling and other people living with me got worried.

I need something to relax me....
Maybe i'll rewatch something...

Yeah at the end I thought it was all right. Some well done parts, some meh parts.

Mailbox

Yeah at the end I thought it was all right. Some well done parts, some meh parts.

I know i'm gonna get a LOT of mean looks by saying this, but:

In terms of anime of this type, i didn't like this as much as Selector Wixross or Devil survivor 2.

Gatchaman Crowds insight 8
I guess the Kuu-samas are a bit more literal than I thought. Well at least there's a chance of saving the victims in this case.

Ascheroth

Rokka - 09

This show really loves to mess with your mind, huh. How many episodes of the same mystery has it been so far? 5? And I'm still not bored or know the culprit or the explanation to the mystery. Amazing.
That aside, Chamot finally was put in her place. Felt really refreshing. And this weeks CG felt actually quite ok-ish. Probably because the vomitians are reeaaally strange, design wise and don't resemble anything.

Charlotte 09

Mind = fucking blown. What. I could never have guessed this turn of events. I like it. Now take me home, and tell me who this Charlotte is.

I forgot that we actually still don't know why it's called Charlotte.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 8

So this is how Nazi Germany started, we'll all be one... except for those people who we judge to be different who we'll get rid of for the sake of a better world. Looks like things should get really explosive for the finale.

Cornbread78

Charlotte ep.9
Holy shit, it all makes sense now! We knew something like this was coming, but I completely forgot about some of those small details. The breakdowns of those other kids all make sense now as well. Also, I guess it's time to forget any type of Nao x Yuu shipping. With those rosey cheeks towards
big bro
we know where her interests lie. Damn good episode tying together the plot perfectly.

Zukuu

Banned
Is there any anime out there in a school setting where the main character is not a total androgynous and bland whimp? Talking about delinquents and/or strong characters and the like. E.g. School Rumble, Beelzebub, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou etc I'm a bit tired of the ever so same typical protagonists. Mostly complete list of stuff I have seen: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/zUkUu

Thanks in advance. :)

On a seperate note, what are the highlights of this year so far? I will browse anidb's calendar for completed series that ended this year.

Jintor

Is there any anime out there in a school setting where the main character is not a total androgynous and bland whimp? Talking about delinquents and/or strong characters and the like. E.g. School Rumble, Beelzebub, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou etc I'm a bit tired of the ever so same typical protagonists. Mostly complete list of stuff I have seen: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/zUkUu

On a seperate note, what are the highlights of this year so far? I will browse anidb's calendar for completed series that ended this year.

oh you've already seen toradora.

uh...

uh you've seen more than me. whelp

*hands in anime badge*

Cornbread78

School Days. Be warned that it has an insane and dark plot twist, but Makoto is your man.

Oh shit. Tomoya from Clannad also, Watch that one now!

Tori from Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere. Ok, he's kinda useless, but not a wuss.

Ryuji from Fruit of Grisaia

Risette

A Good Citizen
Get away with that shit. I want to sleep at night. Of course I know about it. :p

Will check out Code:Breaker. Tho, it seems to be terrible judging by the ratings. lol
??? code breaker is great. don't read MAL ratings.

it's one of the best shounen action shows from the past few years. I should finish it.

Cromartie High School
tumblr_mrqo3etDNa1sd0gk5o1_500.gif

Get away with that shit. I want to sleep at night. Of course I know about it. :p

Will check out Code:Breaker. Tho, it seems to be terrible judging by the ratings. lol

It's because it didn't completely follow the manga other than that it's a pretty entertaining anime. I loved it.

The animation and action scenes are great.

Zukuu

Banned
Cromartie High School
tumblr_mrqo3etDNa1sd0gk5o1_500.gif
One of my favorite animies. ;)

??? code breaker is great. don't read MAL ratings.

it's one of the best shounen action shows from the past few years. I should finish it.
I use a german site (also available in english since a few years I think, but no one seems to use the english version). Features written reviews, screenshots and everything. e.g:
http://de.anisearch.com/anime/7572,code-breaker Maybe you will be redirected to the english version tho.

Is there any anime out there in a school setting where the main character is not a total androgynous and bland whimp?

And Yet the Town Moves
Anne of Green Gables
Code:Breaker
Colorful (movie)
Dennou Coil
Girls und Panzer
Haikyuu
Hidamari Sketch
Hyouka
Lovely Complex
Love Lab
Nichijou
Oniisama e
Ping Pong the Animation
Plastic Neesan
Shinranpuri
Silver Spoon
Tsuritama

Animator Expo
Gundam the Origin
Hinata no Aoshigure
Jojo: Stardust Crusaders
Mushishi Zoku-Sho ending
Shashinkan
Shirobako
Shounen Hollywood
Sound! Euphonium
Teekyuu
When Marnie Was There
Yamato 2199 film

Zukuu

Banned
And Yet the Town Moves
Anne of Green Gables
Code:Breaker
Colorful (movie)
Dennou Coil
Girls und Panzer
Haikyuu
Hidamari Sketch
Hyouka
Lovely Complex
Love Lab
Nichijou
Oniisama e
Ping Pong the Animation
Plastic Neesan
Shinranpuri
Silver Spoon
Tsuritama

Animator Expo
Gundam the Origin
Hinata no Aoshigure
Jojo: Stardust Crusaders
Mushishi Zoku-Sho ending
Shashinkan
Shirobako
Shounen Hollywood
Sound! Euphonium
Teekyuu
When Marnie Was There
Yamato 2199 film
Wow. Huge, thanks. Will look through all of them. You made my day! :)

Tuck

Garden of Words
Been meaning to watch this for a while. I had heard it was really pretty (and it most certainly was!) but knew nothing about the story. I come away extremely pleasantly surprised. I found the story to be quite captivating. And the ending, while somewhat open ended provided enough closure. I was surprised about the 45 minute runtime at first, but the pacing is just fine and I guess a longer runtime wasn't really necessary. *

Next up, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

*EDIT: This was from the same director as 22 cm per second? I really did not like that film at all, so I'm surprised this one was much better.

Cornbread78

I put some other ones in there for ya right after, lol. I wasn't fucking with ya, watch up until the last episode.

Clannad should be an instant watch though. Otonashi from Angel Beats was pretty good as well.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Overlord 8

Does anyone else feel sorry for Clementine. When I watch her character, I can't get over what made her this way which ultimately leaves me with a sense of pity watching her madness act out.

Zukuu

Banned
I put some other ones in there for ya right after, lol. I wasn't fucking with ya, watch up until the last episode.

Clannad should be an instant watch though. Otonashi from Angel Beats was pretty good as well.
I don't want to watch School Days. I already read the story and everything. I... just.. no. :(
I actually watched Clannad finally a few months ago, after having it on my watch list for so long. Didn't update my list tho. Added it. The list isn't a 100% complete anyway, but I can't remember everything I have watched (in particular as a kid) or forgot to add. Clannad didn't really click with me. I found the characters "too anime", if that makes sense. Everything was very cliche and the drama parts kinda felt tacked on. I also absolutely hate the "I knew you as a kid" plot twist. If it's made clear right away, okay, I can somewhat tolerate it, but not "suddenly". Feels every time like a major cop out and leaves me facepalming. Overall it was alright, but nothing special in my book.

Maybe I have a weird or very particular taste. I also LOATH FLCL, but like stupid stuff like Kenichi.

You mean Log Horizon? On my to watch list. :) I want to wait till the series is completed, so I didn't watch it yet (like Attack on Titan, SAO, Phi Brain among others) Is season 2 finished? Is a season 3 announced? I don't think I noticed any particular buff main character tho. I only watch completed series, since I hate to wait for new episodes and like to watch a single series in its entirety before moving to a new one. :p

Ryuji from Fruit of Grisaia. I remember reading about that. The reviews put me off. Is it any good?

And how is Mushishi? It keeps haunting me, but everytime I look it up it sounds rather boring. What makes it so special? Is it worth watching?

So, some people are saying that episode 9 of Shimoneta is a kinda in the middle in terms of quality, at least when it comes to humor.

And I do get that, but episode 9 does something that I think is pretty important for this story, despite it being mostly a comedy.

Shimoneta had a bit of a problem early on where it didn't seem like much was really wrong with current state of affairs.

Yeah, the kids were naive as fuck when it came to sex, and some people could take advantage of the current situation for gain, but nothing seemed terrible. The latter issue still happens in more sexually liberal countries after all.

Then Anna went nuts in episode 4, and while it's an interesting blend of dark comedy and perhaps satire, it still doesn't feel like it's actually addressing the problems that come along with this puritan-esque society.

Then in episode 9 we're really introduced to Obora Tsukimigusa, who is biologically male, but dresses as a woman.
tsukimigusa.png

He does this not because he chooses to, but because his higher ups apparently think it'll cut down on the risk of a potential sexual tryst between him and Anna. It makes it seem like people are just what they're perceived to be, not what they actually think or want.

And he does completely willingly, seemingly never questioning it, because that logic makes sense to him. He doesn't have any identity or desires of his own. He comes off as a person completely foreign to the idea of wanting something for himself. If there's a character in the show who seems to be the biggest victim of the state of affairs, it's Obora.

Narag

FYI spoiler tagging images doesn't work on the mobile client so keep that in mind.

IAnd how is Mushishi? It keeps haunting me, but everytime I look it up it sounds rather boring. What makes it so special? Is it worth watching?

Halfway through S1 has been amazing so far. Great supernatural stories with an ethereal atmosphere. Actual mature anime as opposed to the usual "mature" things people clamor for.

ibyea

Banned
And how is Mushishi? It keeps haunting me, but everytime I look it up it sounds rather boring. What makes it so special? Is it worth watching?

Episodes always start out slow, and at first you may think that it's very boring. But half way through the episodes just become amazing.

Cornbread78

I don't want to watch School Days. I already read the story and everything. I... just.. no. :(
I actually watched Clannad finally a few months ago, after having it on my watch list for so long. Didn't update my list tho. Added it. The list isn't a 100% complete anyway, but I can't remember everything I have watched (in particular as a kid) or forgot to add. Clannad didn't really click with me. I found the characters "too anime", if that makes sense. Everything was very cliche and the drama parts kinda felt tacked on. I also absolutely hate the "I knew you as a kid" plot twist. If it's made clear right away, okay, I can somewhat tolerate it, but not "suddenly". Feels every time like a major cop out and leaves me facepalming. Overall it was alright, but nothing special in my book.

Maybe I have a weird or very particular taste. I also LOATH FLCL, but like stupid stuff like Kenichi.

You mean Log Horizon? On my to watch list. :) I want to wait till the series is completed, so I didn't watch it yet (like Attack on Titan, SAO, Phi Brain among others) Is season 2 finished? Is a season 3 announced? I don't think I noticed any particular buff main character tho. I only watch completed series, since I hate to wait for new episodes and like to watch a single series in its entirety before moving to a new one. :p

Ryuji from Fruit of Grisaia. I remember reading about that. The reviews put me off. Is it any good?

Log Horizon is really good season 2 ended over the winter, but the LN isn't complete yet, so a S3 is years away. Also, Shiro is the man, but more intellectual way.

Fruit of Grisaia is every kind of anime mixed on into one. It starts off as a school time anime, turns into a harem, then gets dark, mystery, action, romance, sex and mindfuck... yup, a little bit of everything.

The Irregular at Magic High School is another one with a super OP main MC.

Samurai Bride has a pretty good MC as well, but no school for this one.

Oh and Clannad was all about After Story. The first season was only there to get you to know the characters. I'll stop there because my love for A.S will just put me is defense mode, lol.

Rokka 09

Hnnnnnngh, this show is so good! The mystery and tension just keep getting better and better. There's only a few episodes left, and not even a single mention of the actual main threat that they were all set out to go for. This is just excellent. The setting has been the same for more than half of the show, yet every week we get further into the mystery and I keep getting more and more interested. Wish we got more good mystery shows like this one.

FYI spoiler tagging images doesn't work on the mobile client so keep that in mind.

Halfway through S1 has been amazing so far. Great supernatural stories with an ethereal atmosphere. Actual mature anime as opposed to the usual "mature" things people clamor for.

They usually work for me on mobile, though I do have all images/gifs disabled by default until I press them

Rokka 8-9

Still say it's 90% chance it's
______Nachentanya_____
and 10% chance it's
_____Maura_______
though at this point I feel the latter the series is trying to set up too hard to be the untrusting bad guy to where I'm fairly certain they aren't. If anything the evidence was given that truly points it to the former because
Maura also learned about the barrier from the guy at the fort, but we haven't seen how Nachentanya and Goldov came to know this info, odds are the princess told the guard the bogus barrier activation technique as being a saint and royalty both would trust her explicitly, she's also the one who freaked out when trying to deactivate the barrier which is probably when she did the real activation

Cornbread78

Rokka 9
Damn, great finish to last week's cliffhanger, Adalet and Hans make a good team. That scene with Flemmie at the end was pretty good too. The more Maura lashes out, the more I believe it's her, well, or bunny princess.. great action and mystery to this show.

Come to think of it, but wasn't bunny chicks knight away on a mission for months prior to becoming a Brave? That would have given him a great chance to plan it all out...

I still think that
!!!!-!!!!!!-MAURA-!!!!!!-!!!!
is my top pick. Just keeps digging the grave deeper and deeper with each word that comes out of his/her mouth. Way too eager to
chase and blame Adlet when things, when thought over, shouldn't be looking great for her either. She just seems to be trying to shift everyone's focus of capturing/killing him. And each episode it keeps getting worse.

Russ T

Banned
I recently finished Mushishi Zoku-Shou, and I'm sad to say I was kind of disappointed with it.

The original series is my default answer to the question "What is your favorite anime?" I fucking love it. It does everything right for me. Everything!

Maybe that's why I'm sorta down on Zoku-Shou?

My problem is basically: it kind of fails a lot of times during the second half at showing Ginko as someone who sympathizes with the mushi... Instead, it's just a very formulaic thing. Some people have a problem -> Ginko shows up -> Ginko helps temporarily, sometimes leaves to come back another day -> problem grows worse -> Ginko helps permanently, and sometimes doesn't succeed in the best way but sometimes does.

I took a big break between the first and second half of the season, but I don't remember having this problem with the first half. Maybe because I was so excited about new Mushishi?

I did like both of the movies/TV-specials. At least I remember liking them.

But yeah I dunno. Someone tell me I'm a bad person so I can amend my opinion, thank you.

I still think that is my top pick. Just keeps digging the grave deeper and deeper with each word that comes out of his/her mouth. Way too eager to

I don't really agree with that notion
The series for one is pushing too hard towards that fact which leads me to think at this point her being the fake is a red herring. Other then the fact that she really thinks Adlet is guilty of being the 7th nothing she's done is particularly suspicious in how she's acted since Hans accusation of Adlet. None of the evidence presented to her has convinced her Adlet is innocent due to the flaws in his current line of thinking so it's very logical for her to assume he's attempting to manipulate them. The real 7th brave IS trying to do that, Maura is just your classic cop who's stuck on the wrong guy making things more difficult for the detective to actually solve the case.

If the plan was to frame a real brave as the 7th and also trap the braves in the barrier so they can't go on their quest Maura would have set things up to frame Hans as he's the one she was with leading up to the temple. We've seen no evidence that she had the time to set up the locked room scenario nor evidence that could lead to her framing Adlet. The only character who could have set things up to frame Adlet is Nachentanya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom