• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Lie in April - 9

CrFNPlTWcAAPGOx.jpg:large
CrFN0P2W8AABHBS.jpg:large

How about calling the cops or social services instead?!?

Well, I'm glad that Arima actually took a stand against her in that scene, at least. Serves as a decent connecting point as to why he was given his "curse".

But holy shit, how was this woman not thrown in jail or at least investigated? It's not like people didn't know about it or were even unaware that something was up before that moment! When you have rumours of a master child pianist being abused by his mother floating around you'd think somebody would do a little digging!

I hope this doesn't end with Arima going "My mother really loved me all along." or something along those lines. This show is playing some dangerous cards with these child abuse scenes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's Eva, not Rebuild. It's not End of Eva either. Maybe the sequels!
Wait does it end with everyone congratulating Godzilla??

thanks. that is what I figured, but I wanted to make sure since there are so many.
I wonder if it would be theoretically possible to just watch the entire series in chronological order in terms of the book's timeline (whatever TV Tropes calls that), in the same way that Kyoani re-released Haruhi but with all the episodes in the "right" place.

zulux21

Wait does it end with everyone congratulating Godzilla??

I wonder if it would be theoretically possible to just watch the entire series in chronological order in terms of the book's timeline (whatever TV Tropes calls that), in the same way that Kyoani re-released Haruhi but with all the episodes in the "right" place.

to be fair haruhi was just re-released in actual book release order.

I imagine the monogatari series was already released in book order and there are just prequels here and there.

I do need to give garden of sinners another try in chronological order as watching the first couple movies having some of them earlier is way better for the story than later ones.

Line_HTX

New Game! 09

I don't have the energy nor the motor to even pull off an all-nighter and still be awake the next day.

I0GXz0Z.png

Hazuki is the most hilarious Director you could ask for. She's so chill that Umiko imagining the environment is just her full of smug, haha

Eumi

Wow, Ruruka was disappointingly shallow. Also, "can't let anyone leave" kind of makes me hate the NG rules now because there's no way to perfectly run this game.The whole thing that makes the deaths in DR tragic is that they're kind of avoidable most of the time, but in this game there was always going to be one death (excluding Chisa since she was kind of killed before the game started).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mob Psycho 100 Episode 8:

There is a reason why this show survived my Monday Anime Purge in which I find myself rather busy and that was well, it is one of the best programs of the season and indeed is really opening itself up to its premise now. Not sure if I can put this over 91 Days or vice versa since they are very different shows.

BluWacky

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 1

I was convinced I'd tried to watch the first episode of this back when it aired but I clearly hadn't (I think, somehow, I'd mixed it up with Genji from back in 2009!).

I've watched some "modern" rakugo in the past on Youtube and not been a huge fan. I really appreciate oral storytelling (I'm gearing up for another year of teaching Homer, of course I do...) but there's always seemed to be something slightly awkward and forced about the rakugo I've seen; presumably it's partly down to the culture clash, I still find Japanese body language to be over-the-top in performance. I think animation - specifically the limited frames of anime - actually suits it; aside from the fact that clearly there was a huge amount of skill and work poured into the extended rakugo sequences in this episode, somehow it comes across as a much more natural experience.

There's some really clever little touches in the animation, even though this is much less stylised or fantastical than Hatekayama's other shows that I've seen; things like imaginary smoke rings or peeking through the crack of a door in particular are nicely done.

It helps, of course, that the voice acting is absolutely exemplary here. Actors actually having to act like human beings! In anime! Who'd have thought.

Anyway, my understanding is that the rest of the show is an extended flashback. Yotarou, the (theoretically) central character in the first episode, is undoubtedly the least interesting thing about it so far, so I shall be intrigued to see how this continues. With that said conversely, if the second season returns to him in the present day, will it still sustain interest? Who knows.

On a side note, I do find it interesting that anime - at least for me - is often particularly good at portraying theatricality - better than much live action. Perhaps it's the level of abstraction already involved; perhaps we already suspend our disbelief further when watching cartoons than we do with film/TV so the further suspension required to be involved in theatre isn't a great leap.

phaze

Cromartie High School 01-03
untitled-206r7j.jpg
crobyqn7.jpg

At least they're self aware.

Alright so far. The problem I foresee is that they seem to be taking one joke and then proceed running it int ground for the next 10 minutes. Everything depends then on whether the joke/ subject matter is good enough. I didn't mind it when it was about Mechazawa, which, even with repetitiveness, was easily the best segment so far but on the other hand the humming from ep 3 lost me 2 minutes in.

I like how it's underlined that the school is co-ed yet I still haven't seen a single girl or a human being that isn't 200% stereotype delinquent.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thinking about it, I don't think I've actually watched the Japanese dub for that. The English dub is actually rather good.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Shokugeki no Soma Season 2 Episode 9

OMG. I thought we weren't going to get Yukihira's dish shown in this episode. Of course
he had a trick up his sleeve
. Oh man I can't wait until the next episode.

After this, I don't think it'll come close! Probably the most fun anime I've seen and the ending feels were very well done. If GL comes close then it sounds like I'm in for a treat yo.

Gurren Lagann doesn't just come close, it surpasses it.

Kill la Kill was like a spritiual successor that tried to recreate TTGL, but it couldn't. Nothing could. Like Eva and Code Geass, TTGL has a certain beauty to it that makes it stand high above its competitors when it comes to what it does.

Go watch the first episode now!

Thud

KLK was more like a parody of TTGL. It was enjoyable, but all the hype about it made it bigger than it actually was.

Got my LOGH novel, thanks brexit. Boys be ambitious, give me a chewing gum.

SuperSah

Banned
It may have been a little enjoyable, but no way does KLK hold a candle to Gurren Lagann.

Gurren Lagann doesn't just come close, it surpasses it.

Kill la Kill was like a spritiual successor that tried to recreate TTGL, but it couldn't. Nothing could. Like Eva and Code Geass, TTGL has a certain beauty to it that makes it stand high above its competitors when it comes to what it does.

Go watch the first episode now!

Mass overhype? A real gem? Well you all got me super intruiged.

But man I loved KlK so much. Satuski was such a wonderful character and the way she opened up towards the end was perfect. Ryuko was such a well designed character and her relationship with Senketsu was just adorable. Mako was one of the cutest characters ever too, so much fun to see her silly 'Hallejuah!' moments and saves of the day :D

Hell, loved it so much I got Satsuki's Figma but Jesus, Ryuko is the equivalent of gold dust right now. Her aftermarket prices suck so much and GSC won't re release her since she attracts many to their events in the hopes they will pick up one of the remaining stock and buy more whilst there. :-(

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 1

There's some really clever little touches in the animation, even though this is much less stylised or fantastical than Hatekayama's other shows that I've seen; things like imaginary smoke rings or peeking through the crack of a door in particular are nicely done.

The show is more visually subdued than Hatakeyama's prior work on Rozen Maiden and Sankarea, which is appropriate for the subject matter. Still, there are some animation-specific visual flourishes later on, particularly in the two episodes storyboarded by Casshern Sins staffers.

Anyway, my understanding is that the rest of the show is an extended flashback. Yotarou, the (theoretically) central character in the first episode, is undoubtedly the least interesting thing about it so far, so I shall be intrigued to see how this continues. With that said conversely, if the second season returns to him in the present day, will it still sustain interest? Who knows.

The extended story of Yakumo's past ends up setting up a dynamic which has repercussions down to the present of the story, so despite him not appearing for most of this season Yotaro ends up being a more significant character in the final episode for what he represents. You'll see if you end up finishing this.

Mendrox

Mass overhype? A real gem? Well you all got me super intruiged.

But man I loved KlK so much. Satuski was such a wonderful character and the way she opened up towards the end was perfect. Ryuko was such a well designed character and her relationship with Senketsu was just adorable. Mako was one of the cutest characters ever too, so much fun to see her silly 'Hallejuah!' moments and saves of the day :D

Hell, loved it so much I got Satsuki's Figma but Jesus, Ryuko is the equivalent of gold dust right now. Her aftermarket prices suck so much and GSC won't re release her since she attracts many to their events in the hopes they will pick up one of the remaining stock and buy more whilst there. :-(

TTGL > KLK

I do a yearly rerun of TTGL including the second movie (and the end part of the first one).

TTGL saved lifes. TTGL has an awesome soundtrack to (Libra me from hell hnghng). TTGL will change you.

After watching TTGL you can play Asuras Wrath (including the DLC for the final chapter). You will thank me.

The Night Of

Sadly while it started strong, this series ultimately proved to not be "better than anime" after all. :/

With the strong reception it had at the start, I had it on my pending list, but past week I found a curious list of 'dumb things that happen in The Night of' and jeeez the series isn't for me, more like the opposite. I actually cringe when characters do idiot stuff in a story, even if the excuse is the character not being exactly smart.

Puzzle & Dragons Cross Episode 9

Tiger finally shows up but cant use Soul Armor, so we get his Soul Armor Cosplay, lol.

Good Garnet episode. Shes strong to have started out as an idol singing with ugly outfits in the rain to where she is now.

CrHR4tIWcAA1Uj4.jpg:small

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 8:

There is a reason why this show survived my Monday Anime Purge in which I find myself rather busy and that was well, it is one of the best programs of the season and indeed is really opening itself up to its premise now. Not sure if I can put this over 91 Days or vice versa since they are very different shows.
It's funny the biggest struggle I'm having with Anime of the season, and with Anime of the year, is which order to put the top 3 shows this season for me (mp100, thunderbolt, and 91 Days) three strong contenders for the top three. I don't know if anything that comes out on winter could possibly change my mind.

JoJo-22

Doesn't this dude have a time stop ability?

He was being cautious of what Kira could do. Jotaro has absolutely no idea what Kira's Stand abilities are, and noted that the way Kira was pulling on the jacket was extremely suspicious. Not only that, there was the little tank thing in the room and Koichi is there who can hardly fight on his own.

Anyone who hasn't already, planning on watching Kingsglaive now that it's available digitally? I'm planning on watching tonight after dinner. Expectations for it are super low, so maybe I can get something out of it.

Jarmel

Banned
He was being cautious of what Kira could do. Jotaro has absolutely no idea what Kira's Stand abilities are, and noted that the way Kira was pulling on the jacket was extremely suspicious. Not only that, there was the little tank thing in the room and Koichi is there who can hardly fight on his own.

He could just stop time, grab the jacket and be out (either that or look at the guy). Either way, there's no reason he needs to cover Koichi when he could just stop time at the explosion and yank them both out of there.

Thud

To add to that, he was told by Josuke and Okuyasu that
Shigechi
was killed in 5 minutes without leaving a trace.

Enough reason to be cautious. Besides Jotaro isn't a default win character anymore. Well I guess the next episode will show more of that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom