• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll assume that last sentence is in reference to Deep Space Nine? Legend of Galactic Heroes certainly isn't what you describe, a conflict between homogeneous blobs; the series goes to great lengths to show many different individuals with their own beliefs, personalities, and ways of acting on both sides of the war. It explicitly deals in philosophical ideas, but it doesn't boil existence down to abstract concepts.
It's more how the shows build a society, because at some point you have to just shorthand for the sake of brevity. So yeah there are individuals with their own motivations, but the political forces that they represent or interact with felt broad, presumably by necessity.

Like, I don't remember if there were regional interests in LOGH or if it was just assumed centralized governments spoke on behalf of every single citizen because it's easier to just say that there are Alliance interests and Empire interests (much in the same way that Star Trek just assumes everyone in the Federation accepts anything that the Federation decrees, because trying to outline whether each of the hundred planets in the Federation wants to fight the Dominion would be too much work).

Cornbread78

Sweetness & Lightning ep.9
Dammit Tsumugi, stop cutting onions in my face. That ending wasn't fair at all.. just no. Take your finger off the "feels" button dammit.

It's more how the shows build a society, because at some point you have to just shorthand for the sake of brevity. So yeah there are individuals with their own motivations, but the political forces that they represent or interact with felt broad, presumably by necessity.

Like, I don't remember if there were regional interests in LOGH or if it was just assumed centralized governments spoke on behalf of every single citizen because it's easier to just say that there are Alliance interests and Empire interests (much in the same way that Star Trek just assumes everyone in the Federation accepts anything that the Federation decrees, because trying to outline whether each of the hundred planets in the Federation wants to fight the Dominion would be too much work).

There are regional interests. Neither government is monolithic in either its politics, its military, or its citizens.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 025

Since I've read up to this point, I decided to check out the next episode preview and man you guys weren't kidding lmao. It gives no fucks.

Weird episode? A lot of flashbacks and I think I've hit the art style changes.

I can't say much but for the FPA there are varying degrees of interests. In the Empire its much more tightly locked, naturally. The existence of Phezzan throws in a whole other side.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are regional interests. Neither government is monolithic in either its politics, its military, or its citizens.
Admittedly I only got 20 episodes in and it's been a while, but I don't remember either side really being like the Gamilas empire in Yamato 2199, which was both centralized through the dictatorial rule of Dessler but also allowed room for the new side characters to act autonomously.

I remember that Tytania had an alliance vs empire dynamic as well, and that the empire was split between male heirs or whatever. But even then it felt like it was more a conflict between people with individual ambitions rather than various groups with different goals compromising under the banner of a Federalist (or whatever the space equivalent would be) government.

The OVA series was aimed primarily at an audience of fans of the novels, after all, so there was no need to worry about spoiling anything.

I can understand that. I'd also like to read a bit on how this show was made and distributed. From what I understand it was a massive undertaking with a huge staff and nobody has really attempted something like it before or after, and you had to use some kind of mail thing to get the episodes for the entire 9 year run? It sounds fascinating.

Thud

When I brought this up on Twitter once, another person speculated that Yoshiki Tanaka was reacting to the fringe cults who were popping up around Japan in the 1980s, such as Happy Science. If that was his main exposure to religion, I can understand the perspective LoGH takes towards it.

I can't blame him for the one dimensional characterization of those figures. Especially if the intention is to convey 'these guys are evil'. Besides given the history in that world, it's not that strange to think there's not a lot of room for religion either way... although Yang did get married.

Or maybe cults are viewed to be more exciting? I've seen a fair share of it in popular media now that I think about it. Recently even with Mob.

Gundam X 11-15

Carris's arc was very good it gave us some cool context on the postwar and that articial newtypes are possible. They are a lot of postwars syndrome, and that man still feeling in war itself was quite intense.

The introduction of the X divider was very cool and I love that Harmonica canon, it's quite unique.

The back story for the airmaster and leopard's pilot was well done, even of they were quite short. I wonder if we will have anymore then this.

Also updated OP! It's so good, I never skipped it once yet.

Cornbread78

Episode 5
I'm a little behind...
AC wars are serious business for sure. That's why they lock the thermostats in my office, lol. Also, these two managers are going to really go at it by the end, aren't they?

JulianImp

Damn, I was thinking of watching this but I guess the adaptation wasn't the same as in Higurashi.

The adaptation messed up the visual representation of several scenes, and that in turn made it impossible to unravel some of its episodes... but that's all I can say, because Umineko is truly one of my favorite series, and getting spoiled about the story would strip it of its main charm. The first four arcs can be read in English through Steam if you want, and MangaGamer will probably release the second disc eventually as well, so you can look forward to it.

Be warned, though, that the Visual Novel is completely devoid of choices and takes a LONG time to read in full. There's supposedly a voice patch on the works to re-apply the voice acting that was added in Alchemist's PlayStation release of Umineko.

And for reference, there's a third entry in the When they Cry series, called Higanbana no Saku Yoru Ni. It has gotten way less exposure than Higurashi and Umineko, and is different in that it tells shorter stories that share the school youkai setting as well as a couple characters (at least from what I've read so far), rather than a long, story-relevant sequence of events that lead up to a big question, and later a climax once the question gets finally answered.

Editing to avoid double-posting:

I've also watched a couple more episodes of Great Teacher Onizuka, and man it's still a really good comedy series. The loveable ex-delinquent teacher winning over his problem students one by one through zany antics with a touch of tough love still hasn't gotten old, maybe because the gags are always adapting to the student Onizuka's "helping" (well, and then there's the vice-principal's white Cresta getting totaled every other episode as the series' running gag so far). Will probably watch some more later, and I think it'd actually make a pretty good recommendation for a let's watch.

Tamako Market 10

This was actually my favorite episode of the show. Its focus, Midori being given responsibility that she finds herself unable to handle and her subsequent attempts to hide her failings from her friends, is something I can relate to personally. It felt more genuine than most of the rest of the show. Ogawa's storyboarding was weird but fascinating - a lot of jump cuts, sharp editing and closeups on incidental parts of the scene. He's the director at KyoAni who I'd most like to see get the chance to lead his own project, because he seems to have a strong sense of individual style.

I'm really not looking forward to the last two episodes now that we're going full tilt into the bride thing though.

Re: Zero 22

Nooo
not my husbando.

Mob Psycho 08

I think that instead of an new character getting the spotlightI'd have preferred to see the brothers fight,where there were higher stakes and more interesting character dynamics, i and but I guess that would irrevocably made Ritsu into a overwrought, drama queen edgelord and is clearly not where the storyline is going.

As always, a treat animation and direction wise. The amount and quality of great character art and action cuts is mightily impressive.
I don't think a fight between Mob and Ritsu could've ended up as anything but a rehash of the Hanazawa fight. Furthermore, I think the way things actually went down in their confrontation did a much better job of characterizing Ritsu and his mindset. As Mob said, Ritsu was only telling half of the truth when he said he feared Mob. The whole truth is that while he did have those feelings, he also does genuinely love and care for Mob, and he was lying to Mob and to himself because Ritsu felt disgusted by his own negative feelings towards Mob, as well as his recent actions with the student council. His shame and selfloathing were the real driving forces for him confronting Mob, because he wanted to drive Mob away because he felt he didn't deserve Mob's love and admiration. He wanted Mob to fight him, beat him, and give up on him as a form of punishment for his behavior and feelings.

Mob Psycho 108 Dalmatians

jgCTRnq.gif
jgCTRnq.gif
jgCTRnq.gif

BONES

BONES

BONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
K1DKT8w.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mob Psycho 100 08
Absolutely unreal. The dynamism to the action is just completely off the charts. Characters stretch, bend, and fill the space in a way that not only has three-dimensional depth, but also feels like it's ready to pop out of the screen. The subtle CG, the thick line work, the alternative oil techniques: the tool kit the studio is working with here flexes itself as much as the combatants in the fight, and all of these wild elements are able to meet in a way that feels completely cohesive. That the composition and arrangement of these animated pieces holds up even in motion as they warp and transform, leaving the entire show dripping with its own unique brand of expression lathered over seemingly every frame.

Cornbread78

New Game ep.6
Yes Aoba, you are a mature working woman now. It's ok to still watch anine and like magical girls though. Something, something requium shot. And wait, those managers are at it again. Of course she would show up at her apartment and wake her up to cook her lunch, what a cute lil' couple they are..

Also, that bear sleeping bag is big pimpin'.

Gvitor

Daiya no Ace 05-13

Yeaaaah, I really don't like the MC so far. I was hoping by now he'd be better, but if anything, he is worse. He redefines energetic, setting a 10-point scale in the 20s. It's really off-putting. But most of all, he is, well, ehrm, dumb. There is a scene that ends episode 10, I think, where the coach teaches him his new pitching form, and he says something like "He's like a baby who is still learning baseball". That couldn't be more true, because, well, he doesn't know baseball.

My country has no tradition in baseball, and all I know about the sport is based off Wii sports and common sense, and I still know a lot more than that scrub, who only likes to throw balls and nothing else, and doesn't know the rules. In one episode he does realize that and go read some books (which he even references in a later episode, shockingly), but he's still dumb. No other way to say it. Someone please teach this kid the rules and tell him what the hell he is doing with his throws, dammit.

That said, I am enjoying every other aspect of it. The ensemble cast of characters are great, and they're ever-present from the beginning, even if I don't know most of their names and Sawamura wasn't in their string (yet). But what I really like is that the show doesn't treat me like an idiot regarding the sport (which I very well may be, though less than Eijun). They don't spoon-feed me how the game works like Baby Steps' ad nauseum "from 15 you go to 30, then 40, then game" repertoire. They just throw me into games, assume I know the basics to follow up, and I'm piecing it together nicely.

I can't commit to Team Furuya yet, DTL, but definitely not team Sawamura. Fuck him.

Line_HTX

I've also watched a couple more episodes of Great Teacher Onizuka, and man it's still a really good comedy series. The loveable ex-delinquent teacher winning over his problem students one by one through zany antics with a touch of tough love still hasn't gotten old, maybe because the gags are always adapting to the student Onizuka's "helping" (well, and then there's the vice-principal's white Cresta getting totaled every other episode as the series' running gag so far). Will probably watch some more later, and I think it'd actually make a pretty good recommendation for a let's watch.

Can never get tired of seeing his precious Cresta get totaled and replaced. RIP his pockets though, hahaha

Yeah Mob is certainly a looker. The animation techniques used in this show just make it look and feel so good. It's by far the best looking show this season. You can take a screenshot at any time during an episode and it will still be a work of art.

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 151

A bizarre but very entertaining episode! It was surreal in a different way than the strangest of the episodes in Oshii's run. Not a lot of focus on atmosphere, it opted for a lot of silly surreal occurrences instead. Some really cool imagery though. Loved the sequence where Shinobu fell into her own eye.

Yeah Mob is certainly a looker. The animation techniques used in this show just make it look and feel so good. It's by far the best looking show this season. You can take a screenshot at any time during an episode and it will still be a work of art.

The art style really helps. They're One's heavily cartoonish visuals rather than trying something like Murata's style which although impressive wouldn't really fit the tone of the series.

The art style really helps. They're One's heavily cartoonish visuals rather than trying something like Murata's style which although impressive wouldn't really fit the tone of the series.

Basically even if something is "rough" looking you wouldn't know, since that is basically the whole show's aesthetic. It works in its own favour as something that is both incredibly stylish and that can get away with things that won't be as noticeable, as for example Orange this season lol... where the show is so incredibly well drawn that once a funky face shows up, you can't help but notice that something is off.

Arcticfox

I'm in the same exact position, but really think of it as paying $30 extra (assuming you get the 13 other volumes for $10 a piece) to get a really nice hard cover version of the series. And realistically you could make up most of that $30 by selling the previous 4 books for cheap and quick at $5 a book.
Well, I preordered it. Whats a few dollars here or there. Hopefully it is in a box or wrapped in some way so it does not get damaged like 90% of the books I have gotten from Amazon recently.

ibyea

Banned
Danganronpa 3 - Future: 6-7
So in episode 6 nothing happened and 7 was Ultra Despair Girls. Whatever. At least they pointed out the obvious red herring as the red herring.

Danganronpa 3 - Despair: 5-7
The stuff I have been waiting for. It is not particularly compelling per se as it is fun to see the old perps go at it.

ibyea

Banned
It's pretty nutty, and despite being confused by the current arc I'm really enjoying it. If Umineko has a similar vibe then I'll definitely make a note to check it out because I love stuff like this.

It doesn't have a similar vibe even if at first it does, but it is a way better visual novel than Higurashi.

Cornbread78

New Game ep.7
Wow, airsoft is serious business for the psycho, huh? Also, company health checks? There's no way that would fly in the US, but hey, rookie nervous nurse was funny at least.

Gvitor

Mob Psycho 92

Holy shit. This is getting better and better now that it's focusing on the craziness of the psychic powers and stylish action than the humour. I also really like the interactions between Kirito and Shigeo (and Dimple as well).

Cornbread78

Soredemo ep.7
Two adventures one with Sanada and another with her little bro; both pretty damn funny. Although her obnoxious voice fits her character perfectly, it get grating once in awhile, lol. This show is pretty good. It's cute that Sonada has a total crush on Hotori, but she's too stupid to realize it, which made the handholdinh scene even funnier..

What's great is I did a Google image search and the below popped up, which was posted on NeoGAF in the Summer 2012 OT2, lol

https://imgur.com/n244f

Tuck

Mob Psycho 8
I said god damn. What absolutely unbelievable action. Puts even One Punch Man to shame, and thats saying a lot.

I am a little disappointed they pulled back on Ritsu going dark so quickly. I get what made it happen, but prolonging it would have been more interesting I think. Still love the dynamic and contrast between the brothers - way more depth there than I expected.

Paltheos

Love this show. I like most of the cast except the Frost Brothers who never feel to have enough substance and are there for bishounen appeal, and I like the soundtrack allot. I think you're underselling it. Just quickly browsing through it again, the hijinx pieces are the weak, but the action pieces are pretty good, and everything else - mostly the character and reflective stuff - is really good (this all matches the strengths and weaknesses of the writing too actually).

Glad you're enjoying it anyway. Most people like the first opening too by the way, and I think they like the second one even more (me too), so look forward to that.

blurr

Wow, going through the LoGH discussion makes me want to resume it. I probably will since I'm almost done with Yuru Yuri and half way through Death Parade.

iM@S Cinderella Girls 8-9

For real, I don't remember the names or basic characters of half the girls in the Cinderella Project.

These two episodes were alright though.

I hope you're gonna watch season 2 after you finish this season, it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom