• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smile Precure - 46

CrJiLSGUIAAOh1p.jpg:large
CrJiZotUMAAVYMS.jpg:large

CrJipzgUMAEtU7i.jpg:large
CrJix-BUsAAZ1rg.jpg:large

I AM A SHADOW.

THE TRUE SELF.

Sterok

Oh really? I guess it gives more info on who that girl was in Miyuki's episode then.

Nope. Different character, and the movie aired first.

The entirety of Smile's plot is stuffed into this episode right when there is actually something more interesting going on. If it wasn't for Happiness Charge I think this episode would've annoyed me most out of all of Precure episodes.

Jarmel

Banned
Kuromukuro-21

These last episodes are going to be fire.

How come everybody is doing scifi mecha better than BONES?

Edit: Has anybody guessed who the leader of the invasion force looks like? My guess is on the father. He's the only Efidolg we haven't seen the face of, which means it's a big reveal. The demon ally is the obvious guess which makes me think it's not him.

JCG

Code Geass ep.2
So let me get this straight, his buddy is brought back from near death, jumps into a brand new expiremental mech with no mech experience at all and operates it like a complete boss and tears up everything in his path... hmmmm.. usually it's just the MC or the antagonist that's granted that kind of asspull power, lol.

"Teenage pilots accidentally coming across powerful robots" is the bread and butter of mecha anime.

Generally speaking, he's effectively a rival character. I mean, the guy has attacked the main character twice in two episodes.

Cross post from the movie's thread:

Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV

So as for the good. Visuals looked ridiculously insane. Incredibly detailed character models that sometimes blurred the line between reality and CG.

The concept of
"borrowing" magic from the King
was cool. Voicing can be hit and miss, but the leads performed well enough. There were tons of easter eggs and FF terminology in this which was great. I could see people that don't know jack about FF being lost.

The battle scenes were awesome, and special effects used to display the raw power behind these people and their magic was really well done, thanks to both the audio and the animation work. Oh, I absolutely loved the warping by the way. So damn cool! And it came with this really impactful sound whenever it happened on screen! Made me look forward to doing it in the game aha. Lastly the last 30mins of the movie was some of the most action packed sequence of events I have seen this year. Goddamn.

Now to the bad parts. This whole movie felt like... cutscenes strung together with missing gameplay, making for weird time jumps. This was very noticeable at the start of the movie. You would see these weird fade outs or cuts to black akin to those in trailers. The editing was a bit messy at times too. The character themselves weren't really "characterized" either, and lacked any real depth. Nyx was pretty great, and a lot of visual history was given to us throughout the many scenes, but none of it was really said, and when it did, it was a one or two liner conversation with Luna.

Now Luna... I fail to see where all of her strength that Tabata kept bringing up is. Sure she does have a scene or two in which she does something, but for the most part, she is still the princess that everyone is trying to harm or protect.

So yeah overall in terms of enjoyment, as cutscenes that are played to show me some events that will be a part of the Final Fantasy XV game, I'd give it a 7/10. It had its faults and the plot was kind of thin, but it looked great and kept me glued to the screen. It made me look forward to playing the game too. If I were to be an objective movie reviewer though, with no FF knowledge or attachment to the the game that is going to come out, this would probably get a 5/10 as it did not feel like a cohesive movie experience.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 163

The best part of this was Ataru being beaten up by Oka Hiromi and Ochofujin from Aim for the Ace. They didn't even bother to hide who they were! Unexpected, but amusing.

I'm literally so tired that I accidentally posted this in an Overwatch thread around 40 minutes or so ago, so I'm going to sleep.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.3
Awe, how cute, a shower scene already with a potential ship? These could be fun little SoL school segments. He's also got the injured little sister in a wheelchair that he loves (same as Big Order,lol) and wants to protect.

But his buddy/childhood friend.... how silly.

Smile Precure - 47

CrJzeZ1VIAA-XKe.jpg:large

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

So we've got human Candy, gattai attacks, ZETSUBOU, and THE POWER OF HOPE IS FRIENDSHIP being the ultimate weapon against the final boss.

Y'know what? I ain't even mad. It's honestly kinda refreshing seeing basic stuff like this. I'll write more about that once I'm finished with the show.

JulianImp

Guess it's a good thing I stopped after the first episode.

The first episode is by far the worst thing in it, mostly because it looks like yet another completely unremarkable isekai RPG LN, but then rebirth through death kicks up and things start to get a lot more interesting.

The show can get unsufferable when it comes to the MC's big ego and his fixation towards the first girl who happened to be kind to him though, but it's still well above average in my book. Oh, and it also has more despair in it than Danganronpa.

Jarmel

Banned
ReZero-12
vEyRZeL.jpg
M7vS7Qe.jpg

I almost rolled my eyes out of my sockets.
This is legit infuriating to watch and I haven't even gotten to the point where Subaru becomes an even bigger dumbass than he currently is. My main problem is with Subaru as a character in that he doesn't actually act like a human being but rather some shitty cartoon. For example:
This guy, love interest rival I guess, nods his head at Subaru and Subaru growls at him. The guy has done absolutely nothing to Subaru and Subaru is being overtly hostile, not to mention Subaru is in a semi-professional setting. Holy shit dude. No wonder he was a fucking loser back on real Earth. He overrreacts to every single minor thing and so he doesn't even come off as a buffoon, he actually is one. He doesn't have the necessary initial background work to feel like anything more than what the plot expects of him at that particular moment. He just can't dial it back down from 11 and it's annoying to watch especially when other people in the show are treating things seriously and he should be too but instead he's acting the same as usual. We then have this weird motivation or whatever from Subaru that has the weakest justification at this point.
What the fuck? How long have you known her? A month? Maybe two at most? Not to mention she's not even in danger at the moment. So who are you saving her from? Yourself? Then there is Rem, who is some neutered lap dog now who blushes when you pat her head.
This part blew my mind. So he runs into her, which was a distinct possibility considering he was going to the same area she's in, and when he sees her he acts dumbfounded. He acts like a deer in headlights when she asks why did he break her promise. This is again his overreaction coming into play and instead of acting like a human being and saying something like he was worried or nonchalantly play it off, he looks stunned. None of this feels natural.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The first episode is by far the worst thing in it, mostly because it looks like yet another completely unremarkable isekai RPG LN, but then rebirth through death kicks up and things start to get a lot more interesting.

The show can get unsufferable when it comes to the MC's big ego and his fixation towards the first girl who happened to be kind to him though, but it's still well above average in my book. Oh, and it also has more despair in it than Danganronpa.

But, you haven't even experienced ReZero yet, lol. You shoukd give it a few more episodes.

Ahhhhhh, he regretted picking it up because of the drain on his time, not because it was bad. Maybe after the BF1 beta ends I'll continue it. I think I'm not hard to please when it comes to anime lol.

ReZero-12

This is legit infuriating to watch and I haven't even gotten to the point where Subaru becomes an even bigger dumbass than he currently is.

I honestly want you to watch the next episode right now just to see you explode like Corvo.

Though there might be one thing you might appreciate in the next episode at least.

ReZero-12

This is legit infuriating to watch and I haven't even gotten to the point where Subaru becomes an even bigger dumbass than he currently is. My main problem is with Subaru as a character in that he doesn't actually act like a human being but rather some shitty cartoon. For example:

This guy, love interest rival I guess, nods his head at Subaru and Subaru growls at him. The guy has done absolutely nothing to Subaru and Subaru is being overtly hostile, not to mention Subaru is in a semi-professional setting. Holy shit dude. No wonder he was a fucking loser back on real Earth. He overrreacts to every single minor thing and so he doesn't even come off as a buffoon, he actually is one. He doesn't have the necessary initial background work to feel like anything more than what the plot expects of him at that particular moment. He just can't dial it back down from 11 and it's annoying to watch especially when other people in the show are treating things seriously and he should be too but instead he's acting the same as usual. We then have this weird motivation or whatever from Subaru that has the weakest justification at this point.

What the fuck? How long have you known her? A month? Maybe two at most? Not to mention she's not even in danger at the moment. So who are you saving her from? Yourself? Then there is Rem, who is some neutered lap dog now who blushes when you pat her head.

This part blew my mind. So he runs into her, which was a distinct possibility considering he was going to the same area she's in, and when he sees her he acts dumbfounded. He acts like a deer in headlights when she asks why did he break her promise. This is again his overreaction coming into play and instead of acting like a human being and saying something like he was worried or nonchalantly play it off, he looks stunned. None of this feels natural.

This is all part of the experience and this reaction is both natural and what the show wants from you as a viewer. Very much the same way as we all felt. Continue onwards.

Cornbread78

Ahhhhhh, he regretted picking it up because of the drain on his time, not because it was bad. Maybe after the BF1 beta ends I'll continue it. I think I'm not hard to please when it comes to anime lol.

Lol, nice. Well, when you have some time it's worth it, IMO.

I honestly want you to watch the next episode right now just to see you explode like Corvo.
Though there might be one thing you might appreciate in the next episode at least.

Lol, well yeah, he was an insufferable clown through this arc topping off with his episode 18 douchbaggery. (I don't want to hear he did tge roght thing.... blah)

Line_HTX

Code Geass ep.3
Awe, how cute, a shower scene already with a potential ship? These could be fun little SoL school segments. He's also got the injured little sister in a wheelchair that he loves (same as Big Order,lol) and wants to protect.

But his buddy/childhood friend.... how silly.

Nunnally has more dignity than Big Order though!

Aki-at

Mob Psycho 100 - 8

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

I haven't seen such a good beat down in a while. The fight itself was paced perfectly and kept ramping it up, first Mob being overcome, then his 100% persona coming out of the blocks topped off by the only way of a guy beating him with a sucker punch. It was a pleasure to watch and I'm definitely going to rewatch this episode again this week.

Great to see the plot moving along too and exploring each character further, even pedestrian side characters like the discount Josuke grew on me. I can only keep my fingers crossed this series is popular enough for a second season.

ibyea

Banned
The Tatami Galaxy: 5-8
Now that it is going into a sort of a routine, the fast talking is not so horrible to read.

Episodes 6-8 had a neat gimmick, containing the happenstance of three different clubs into all three episodes, but only knowing what happened in one of the clubs for each episode, and at the same time being different timelines because of the different choices he made at the end of each episode. Even if in the end the results are the same as all the other episodes, the protagonist just regretting things, it is just a really fun concept and I think it just gets funnier as more of the events are unveiled. These episodes also got a lot weirder, with the innuendos going off the charts and the protagonist falling in love with a mannequin.

I tried to watch code gease. But couldn't get over black rangers voice work. I just wasn't in the mood for it. I'll probably watch the subs on funi though

Smile Precure - 48 END

CrJ5BAVUsAQA-18.jpg:large

Better despair than Re:Zero

LOL This episode was super contrived.

So in order to deliver the final blow to Pierrot before he blows the planet up, the girls have to use the last power of the Miracle Jewel. Unfortunately, that will deactivate the bookcase system and cause the girls to never be able to see Candy again.

70% of this episode was just the girls crying about this.

Of course they still do it and save the day, with the girls knowing that, no matter how far Candy may be, even if they may never see her again, she will always be there in their hearts.

Or not. And how was this possible?

You know what Smile Precure? As contrived as this finale was, I'm not even mad. You were a fun show, and I genuinely enjoyed you.

I pretty much enjoyed this show the same way MetroidPrimeRib enjoys Love Live. Just a fun little colourful cute girls thing on the side to just enjoy. Something to balance out all the other heavy shit that I watch. Just that one particular show I can turn my brain off to and enjoy.

Compared to other Precures and especially other magical girl shows, this show is probably super pedestrian and standard by comparison, but sometimes we all need that sort of thing once in a while to clear our minds.

I had fun. Will you enjoy this show? Probably not. There's only a handful of genuinely great standalone episodes that I'd really recommend, it's super cheesy with it being a show mainly targeted towards little girls, and it practically follows almost every trope in the book when it comes to these kinds of super hero sentai anime shows.

But who knows? Maybe you'll have fun with it too, regardless.

Sterok

Smile Precure - 48 END

Glad you enjoyed it. While Smile isn't close to being my favorite Precure (it's middle of the road), it was the first I followed weekly, and I have a soft spot for it. It's really a comedy first and foremost though. Get to Yes 5 and Heartcatch when you have the time. Best two Precure by far.

Deadly

Kuromukuro-21

These last episodes are going to be fire.

How come everybody is doing scifi mecha better than BONES?

Edit: Has anybody guessed who the leader of the invasion force looks like? My guess is on the father. He's the only Efidolg we haven't seen the face of, which means it's a big reveal. The demon ally is the obvious guess which makes me think it's not him.
Good call hadn't thought of that. Demon ally dude said they were friends so I don't think he could have his face.

Jarmel

Banned
Subaru wasn't this much of a dumbass the previous arc. Holy shit.

This is such shitty writing. HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THIS CHARACTER FLAW BEFORE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom