• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Macross Δ 22

Hoping the earlier infodump episodes were in place to set up a run to the finish here. Getting back to the action was very, very welcome.

Jarmel

Banned
ReZero-13
NtULgUj.jpg

huh
ok.

ok.

ok.

It's apparent what they're trying to do here, mainly crashing Subaru's character to some base form and then building him back up. This is done both in the show and for the audience's sake. Despite them doing this the prior arc too. Oh well, since the show's about time loops it only makes sense that they reuse the same material too for the characters. The problem is that THEY HAVEN'T DONE ANY OF THE NECESSARY PREP WORK FOR THIS TO MATTER. FUCKING NONE. So instead of this feeling like the culmination of the previous 12 episodes, it's a new arc special. For character deconstruction (or whatever you want to call this garbage) the writer can't just break the character in the same timeframe as they denote the character's weakness. Walter White didn't reach his low point in S1. Oreki wasn't dissected in episode 2. Peco gets wrecked over a third of the way through. In addition, all of those characters had their flaws laid out from the beginning. Not only that, it actually taints all the effort done in the previous arcs to be by this fedora white knight asswipe, when there was little indication prior that Subaru was such a piece of shit. The audience doesn't know jackshit about Subaru prior to him coming to the alternate world so this is essentially creating a character flaw out of thin air and it kinda works because he didn't have any serious sort of character work prior. Can't rewrite over a blank sheet right? There's little lead in or natural progression but rather he just snaps over the course of this episode. This could have been rectified through the use of flashbacks prior to him entering the fantasy world or just better writing earlier. Even Konosuba did this better. Ignoring the newly found pride character flaw, most of this shit doesn't even make sense in the context of what we know about Subaru's character.
What the fuck? Why is this a problematic question for Subaru? He's gone through multiple death loops and dude looks an anime fan on prom night. Instead of confidently saying, "I sure as fuck can", which would make sense with how egotistical he was this episode, he looks meek as all hell. This legit doesn't even make sense due to what happened in the prior arc in that any sort of confidence he had built hasn't carried through at all. Other than Rem, it's as if the previous arc never happened. In fact, this arc would make more sense after the first arc instead of the second one. What's amazing about this meltdown is that Julius wasn't even being that condescending. Most people would have literally spat on Subaru as if he was trash when he said he had neither the strength or resolve. Then what the fuck good are you? Least you can do is bullshit and say you can match their resolve. If he has some sort of inferiority complex, maybe the writers should have established that before the beginning of your third damn arc. Instead we get jokes at the beginning of the previous episode:
Dude acts like he's on vacation in the tropics. Then there's the duel where he tried multiple times to do underhanded tactics and gets his ass beat anyway. So the previous scene was about him being too prideful to admit he's outclassed and then the next scene has him not being prideful enough to try and fight fairly? Not to mention this:
What the fuck? Are you actually afraid of dying? You moist ass bitch. For the previous experiences he's been through, dude should be cavalier about dying. Even if he doesn't know whether the loops will start again, this still seems like a reaction that doesn't fit prior events. After you've legit been disemboweled or dismembered, seems like a lot more would be needed to shake you up. This episode doesn't make any sense in the context of the previous episodes even ignoring how paper thin all these light novel characters are.
Oh and I didn't even get into how goddamn obvious that Felt blackmail shit was. It's like the writer knew they screwed up with Felt as she had no motivations for entering this rat race and decided to have some very appropriately transparent bait show up.

zulux21

ReZero-13
race and decided to have some very appropriately transparent bait show up.

you are in the roughest part of the series.

sadly you aren't through it yet.

one more episode to get through and then you will finally get pay off in episode 15.

Vivid Strike!(fall 2016) PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq5ILlY1UGQ

Seems pretty edge.

Nanoha's gone the route of Sonic The Hedgehog.

At this rate Nanoha Movie 3 is basically gonna be Sonic 06.

Hopefully Seven Arcs can hurry up and give me Nanoha Colours to look forward to at least.

It has until episode 16 to impress me.

Your episode 15 impressions should be interesting. Everyone's head over heels for that one here.

Jintor

new game 9

i ended up reading 'ahead' in the manga (insofar as you can read ahead in a 4koma slice of life) and it's nice to see that even with that the anime adds enough with the sound/animation etc that it's still fluffy to watch.

i dunno how many more light yuri teasing series i can take without a series just being like "THESE GIRLS ARE INTO EACH OTHER OKAY? THEY ARE IN A RELATIONSHIP. END OF STORY". come on, be brave

Did he recommend Glasslip to a mod who wasn't in on the joke?

In all seriousness, I hope he isn't banned for long.

What did DTL get banned for? Someone finally got tired of his DTL-isms or did he do something

It might be because he posted something over in the My Hero Academia manga thread that was a bit too risque.

Post seems to have disappeared too.

blurr

New Game 09

Always look forward to my weekly dose of lesbian game developers talking about Japanese work culture. I liked Nene and Aoba's relationship, both of them expressed the same feelings towards each other, an adorable pair not just by appearances but also in their personalities.

Onsen scene was worth it with third best girl and the usual bickering between the other two (whose names slip my mind but one of them had a Kansai accent).

I wonder if the Japanese like Rem the same way people like Rei. In the sense that they're boring domesticated housewives.

The /r/anime subreddit is legit 50% Rem fanart/cosplay posts for several weeks now. Appropriately the mods changed the tab-title of that page to /r/re:zero

Jintor

let me tell you for a fact though: onsen is the fucking best

forget the peeping on girls (or guys, whatever floats your boat) shit though. there is god damn nothing more relaxing than just goddamn chilling out in an outdoor onsen under the stars, especially after a hard days work

i gotta do a winter one at some point

RE-zero Episode 7

Intrigued with the show going places but a little confused.

Rem
killed Subaru because of a, "witches", smell right? Will they explain more of that later
?
Seems kinda out of left field, and left me dumbfounded
lol unless thats what the creators want.

T-Rex.

Banned
RE-zero Episode 7

Intrigued with the show going places but a little confused.

Rem
killed Subaru because of a, "witches", smell right? Will they explain more of that later
?
Seems kinda out of left field, and left me dumbfounded
lol unless thats what the creators want.
Yep, that gets explained later on.

Mailbox

huh... So Shimoneta is getting a dub.

This could be fun :p

On a side note, haven't been too keen of keeping up with anime lately despite having all the time in the world, which mean I have 4 episodes of Heart x Hybrid to watch...
Fuck

Quasar

Never understood the concept of hatewatching.

Life's too short.

Welcome to the club. I've never groked the thing at all.

About the only reason I would be if I was paid to or it was required reading/watching academically. Plus my backlog has always been to gigantic to waste time on things I'm not enjoying.

Quasar

Macross Δ 22

Hoping the earlier infodump episodes were in place to set up a run to the finish here. Getting back to the action was very, very welcome.

Some extra Mikumo screentime, yay.

Sad to see the one Windamerean I liked die. Of course he had raised death flags way back.

I do wonder whats going to happen with Hayate now that he's losing control every battle. Especially given how hard it was to get freyja to sing again.

Also...Mirage first :)

Szadek

Monster - Ep. 35-36
So the ED is the picture book,right?
It also seems to be the source of johans qoutes as well as the inspiration for his Modus Operandi.
In any case, it looks shit is going to hit the fan very soon.

TrueBlue

Welcome to the club. I've never groked the thing at all.

About the only reaso I would was if I was paid to or it was required reading/watching academically. Plus my backlog has always been to gigantic to waste time on things I'm not enjoying.

Well yeah, academia/reviewing for a site makes sense. But even then I wouldn't really qualify that as hatewatching - they might hate the thing in question but that isn't their reason for tuning in.

I dunno. It's a phenomenon I've never really understood. So bad it's good I get, but not hatewatching. Different strokes.

Mailbox

Never understood the concept of hatewatching.

Life's too short.

I'm of 2 minds of this.

1: Mediocre or Average anime seem like shit if all you are ever exposed to is the top shows.
(Basically exposing myself to bad anime keeps my barometer in check. I can't expect everything to be steins;gate levels of ace, but I sure as hell can expect things to be better than mars of destruction :3)

2: There's lessons to be learned from bad anime sometimes.
(It can be interesting to figure out what a show tries to do (often times what they try to do is actually interesting) but ends up failing to deliver on. Basically, a theme or setting or whatnot that normally aren't used or thought of can cause interesting takeaways. Why didn't it work, what errors did it make, how could this be fixed, etc.)

You'd be surprised by how many shows that people straight up HATE on this forum are just simply only okay.

Thats for bets. Or crazy people.

Or that...

People that hatewatch are just tsunderes ' It's not like i like this show or anything'.

I assure you, I did not like or enjoy my time with Lance n' masques nor Green Green to ANY extent. Those shows are equally shitty for vastly different reasons (which I truly find interesting)

Quasar

Well yeah, academia/reviewing for a site makes sense. But even then I wouldn't really qualify that as hatewatching - they might hate the thing in question but that isn't their reason for tuning in.

I dunno. It's a phenomenon I've never really understood. So bad it's good I get, but not hatewatching. Different strokes.

I dont really even get that or even guilty pleasures. The things I like I always like unironically.

Mailbox

How can you truly hate the show if you haven't watched it in its entirety but just a select part.

Checkmate atheists.

I know you're joking here, but there have been plenty of shows that I really didn't like for the first few episodes and ended up really enjoying myself by the end. Its happened enough times where if I can help it I don't bother dropping series.

Only a true connoisseur of anime has the chops to really hatewatch a show.

:3

I dont really even get that or even guilty pleasures. The things I like I always like unironically.

Theres a difference between a Guilty Pleasure and liking something ironically.
A guilty pleasure is something where you know the flaws, and if it was any other show you probably wouldn't like it, but for some reason you just kinda really love it (for me this is Date a Live)

Liking ironically is more tsundere bs about how you only like the thing because its cool to like it without "REALLY" liking it... I think...

Jintor

yeah but it's way easier to wait for you dummies to tell me a bad show became good than it is for me to keep watching a bad show hoping it becomes good :p

Eumi

yeah but it's way easier to wait for you dummies to tell me a bad show became good than it is for me to keep watching a bad show hoping it becomes good :p
Bingo.

If a show isn't doing it for me it's gone. If I'm wrong then people will shout at me and I'll be righted.

Cornbread78

Well, I can tell you that HxH and Taboo Tattoo both still suck. I'm two episodes behind in HxH though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom