• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad

Manu

I have a friend who never summons but sometimes when he can't beat a boss he will spend literal days farming souls until he's overleveled, so he goes back and curbstomps the boss.

By OPs logic he's a better player than me.

No doubt it would have felt better being able to do some of the bosses solo but I tried, I couldn't and put enough hours in to the extent that it wasn't fun to keep trying. So I summoned and found it easier and saw more of the game. Give a fuck.

I mean I can kill all bosses in souls at base level with starting equipment and still have a blast destroying bosses in coop. Should I feel bad aswell?

Played Bloodborne with a mate last night and we were just spamming beast roar against SoY. Then later we were getting rekt by ng+6 OoK. At which point should we be feeling bad?

Should I be informing everyone who uses levelling mechanics that they should "feel bad"??

Roarer

Opinions like these make me want to not like Souls games. In face, it's this kind of bullshit that makes me tired of gamers and gamer culture. Just please let people do whatever makes them feel god and enjoy things their way.

Stop it with the excluding bullshit. Games and gaming isn't your private clubhouse where no fun is allowed unless people play by your rules.

Krakn3Dfx

8cc32a8f550da5b791f4c3c9303fd30c93ace4f4.gif

Fitts

Yeah, I never summon. But I do put down my sign plenty because I realize not everyone is looking for the same type of experience that I am and, hey, co op is fun. Souls games have a lot to offer outside of difficulty and if someone prefers to play on the de facto "easy mode" it isn't my place to tell them not to. (although, I have encouraged friends in the past to attempt a solo run first)

roytheone

I hope this is a joke thread OP, because if you are seriously saying "shame on you" and "you should feel bad" to people playing and enjoying a game a different way then you, you are an idiot.

Dargor

Ok, now that I know that OP feels this way. I vow to change my ways.

Not only will I summon NPCs, I shall also summon players every time I get the chance.

Thanks OP

lol

*Splinter

You tell em OP!

Anyone using armour or levelling up is just making the game easier and should be ASHAMED

What a fucking dumbass

I used to care about this, but we're so many games in now that it doesn't bug me anymore.
A
I'm not sure why someone would pick up an infamously difficult game and then take steps to try and remove the challenge, but it's not a terrible crime or anything.
My friend did this with DS3 and guess what? It turned out to be one of his favorite games of all time. He never played 1 or 2 prior to playing 3. He solo'd most of 3 once he understood that mechanics. Went back and solo'd 1 and 2.

People shouldn't worry about how other play games that don't affect them.

Kinhow

I will never feel bad for using the tools that the game gives me.
You should feel bad for caring too much about it.

I sort of understand when players get frustrated upon facing multiple boss entities at once but I do think you people are robbing yourself of some of the most memorable single player gaming experience either way.

Solo all the way.

You say this, but watching the guy I summoned take the last 1/4 of Nameless King's health bar off by cracking him in the skull with a comically large battle axe was euphoric.

CHC

This is just stupid, it's a core part of the game's design. It's a gamble because in most of the games it does use some kind of resource or consumable to allow the summon to happen, and on top of that if you summon someone bad who dies immediately, the fight is MUCH harder because of the buffed boss.

So, this thread is trivial and you should feel bad!

void666

Banned
I kind of agree. Not about the shaming part though. It's best if you beat the bosses by yourself yes. The sense of accomplishment and all.
But sometimes i'm not in the mood to "learn" bosses. Sometimes it's too hard or frustrating or I just don't have the time.
I summoned players to help me with most of the bosses in dark souls 3.

For me it's an atmosphere thing. The narrative I set up while playing Bloodborne was all about my lone hunter up against the unknowable cosmos. Summoning in a buddy or an NPC to help would have spoiled that Lovecraftian sense of struggling alone against insurmountable odds.

But of course, it's a personal choice. It's a great way for people to make progress through the game if they want to and not be held back from seeing the awesome stuff the game has to offer.

How else am I supposed to laugh when my friend rage quits after being 1 shot by a boss for the 10th time running losing 1 million souls in the process.

I don't play Souls games solo anymore. Its more fun co-op. But my e-peen doesn't need stroking.

ChrisD

There's nothing wrong with that and I don't even like Dark Souls.
Except, one can't play a game "wrong."

Anything barring cheating in an online game isn't wrong. If the player is having fun they're playing it right. (The difference with the cheats being that you're screwing over other actual humans.)

Joey Ravn

Banned
For all I care, the OP may be the best-laid argument of all time, but I won't be bothering with it due to that low-effort trolling and condescending thread title.

nothing I do in video games to get through them will make me feel bad lol my self worth and self respect are fully intact thank you.

Andrew J.

Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want and I think it's better to cheese a boss than possibly never get past it but man, summons make fights trivial. Summoning someone to a boss fight doesn't merely make it managable but turns it into straight up the easiest thing you'll face all game because bosses will usually target just one player while the other guy freely gets their attacks in. Why even bother? The boss fights are arguably the best thing about the games and you choose to virtually skip them? Shame on you.

I sort of understand when players get frustrated upon facing multiple boss entities at once but I do think you people are robbing yourself of some of the most memorable single player gaming experience either way.

Solo all the way.

The Duke du H'ardcore, is that you?

Lothar

Banned
Except, one can't play a game "wrong."

Anything barring cheating in an online game isn't wrong. If the player is having fun they're playing it right. (The difference with the cheats being that you're screwing over other actual humans.)

It's his opinion that people playing a certain way are depriving themselves of what he considers the best experience. He can have that.

embalm

We should re-title all of these threads as "I do not understand good game design"

Summoning makes the game easier and this is one of the many things that makes Souls great. The souls games are a masters course on game design and it's OK that you don't understand it. I will try to help you though.

Souls at it's most basic elements is a hard as balls love letter to classic RPG and Adventure games. Enemies that kill in a few fits, nasty ambushes, well hidden traps, meaningful death mechanics, and bosses that inject fear straight into the player's heart. This is awesome for those that enjoy it, but we are few. We as a group cannot give a game the sales it deserves.

Souls then introduces several optional mechanics that make the game significantly easier. It's a choose your own path of victory and we all take part in one or more of these mechanics.

Magic -
The spells in Souls games are straight up busted. This is on purpose. You can load up on spells that kill most enemies in a single hit. Bosses fall after a few auto-aiming magic missiles land and you can spend your easily won souls on improving your magic instead of your gear, making future encounters even easier. Whether it's healing or ranged attacks, magic gives you a way to safely kill every enemy.

Summons -
Bring in some phantoms to curb stomp dozens of monsters. Clearing entire levels of monsters and stun locking the largest of creatures as you and your friends take turns attacking. The entire game is turned into an action rpg more like Diablo than anything else. Items and Souls come flooding in as your group slaughters their way through the level.

Level Up -
Grind out some levels by fighting enemies or find a place where a dragon kills a pile of enemies for you. Cash in those souls to buff your stats and all of a sudden you can actually take a few hits or kill enemies in a single hit. Upgrade your loot to straight up tank bosses and pick the right magic weapon to cut them down with ease.

All of those mechanics are optional. If you are good enough then enjoy your SL1 play through and realize that because this game offers all of these optional mechanics it is a viable existence and without them it would have been done in a single game and long forgotten by most people.

So you need to Praise the Summons. Along with all of the other great mechanics included in the game that make it better than all the other games around it.

psyfi

Banned
And yet somehow I don't feel bad at all :) I love Souls games for the atmosphere and exploration, not the boss fights. The bosses are actually my least favorite thing about the games, though I usually enjoy the fights still.

Archanfel

As someone who's soloed pretty much all souls bosses except for DLC in 3 (I haven't bought yet) and done a few challenge runs including lvl 1 runs, I say kindly, fuck off. It's a game. Play it how you want. There's no shame in having fun with others.

I do agree that it spoils the game. The bosses are not typically designed to track, and neither do they scale to, multiple targets, and the game really falls apart when they're introduced.

But I wouldn't begrudge anyone using the option. I blame the developers for the poorly integrated co-operative features. Co-op in Souls is little more than a cheat, or easy mode option, and that's really disappointing as it could be so much more.

I feel that levels should change, and bosses should transform, to accommodate co-op. Imagine instead of co-op being an objectively easier setting, being incentivised to play co-op to experience a different fight.

Oh please. Most Souls bosses are trivial fights that require nothing more tactical than "hug its butt til it's dead."

If you're really proud of having the free time to slog through the same tedious fight several times a game then... good for you, I guess?

trixx

Yeah I don't care if others do it my bro did it. Some people just want to progress and get things over with.

To me idk feels like I'm cheating it's like a couple of the power ups in Zelda BotW. They're so powerful that if I were to play the game again(which is unlikely and I won't try to do all shrines) I would turn all of them off.

I think I played for the same amount of time as my brother in dark souls 2 and he's wayyy farther than me. Kind of a waste of time dying and doing the same sht all over again, especially when you haven't reached the bonfire.

Ferr986

As a person that never summons the first time I face a boss, you're wrong.

These kind of posts are annoying and part of a reason the Souls community is seen as an elitist and tryhards. People enjoy different things, the best part of Souls games aren't necesarry the bosses, there's a lot of different things that people enjoy more than other: exploration, pvp, making builds..

Randam

I recommend everyone to beat bosses solo at least once.

But I needed help too at one point.
O&S gave me so much trouble my first time.

Dark Souls community is the only group of people who would rather completely ignore viable tactics that work in favor of pride.

Guarantee if Dark Souls turned into a fighting game the very large greater majority would do whatever it takes to win. They would throw pride right out the window.

It's low class to tell others how one should play a game.

Top Bottom