• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad

Ultimately, I agree with the core of the sentiment, which is that there is a level of enjoyment of the game that you cut yourself off from if you have help to defeat bosses.

The nuance, though, is that the nature of that enjoyment is entirely different from what you get with summons.

Summoning is a blast in these games specifically because it makes bosses so much easier. It's the one time in the game where you get to feel as though you're in control (without putting hours in, anyway).

So I'd say play the game in whatever way makes you enjoy it the most. I know the punishing/unforgiving shit isn't for everyone. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the game.

Sure, but do you agree that people who summon for bosses should feel bad and ashamed?

Anyway, it's not exclusive to Souls games. You can say that for basically every games out there. The level of enjoyment when you can beat a game on harder difficulty would be better than the opposite. But that doesn't make people who choose easy mode should feel bad and ashamed.

Wazzy

Banned
The funniest part about this thread is the people who are offended by the backlash the OP is receiving yet try to act like everyone else is salty and they're just having a good laugh about it. Elitist gamers are so embarrassing.

Frodo

Apparently OP never hit The Pursuer with a bolt from the ballistas on top of the tower while someone distracted him.

Or maybe OP never hit the host of the world they were summoned in with said bold instead of the Pursuer. Regardless, OP is missing out in a lot of fun ways to play the game.

I think OP is right in a way. There is a level of challenge and enjoyment to be had fighting bosses solo only. Especially if you summon multiple players who are good at the game and mop the floor with the boss, never seeing what the boss can truly do alone. Some bosses really are like easy mode when summoning other players, while others feel like you really have to summon other players to have a fair shot (Kalameet was like this for me).

I think OP is right in a way. There is a level of challenge and enjoyment to be had fighting bosses solo only.

But he is wrong in that there is a far greater level of enjoyment playing games with other people that no amount of internet dick waving is going to outweigh.

Lelcar

I like playing with other people. The summoning aspect of the Souls games is literally the only reason why I play and like these games. If it forced you to go solo I wouldn't be playing Souls or Bloodborne at all. It's my favourite feature, it woulda be boring without it

My wife is really bad at video games (she'll admit this herself) but she loves the Dark Souls/Bloodborne lore/word/design/story. She can make it through the regular enemies with grinding and over-leveling. But some of the bosses are just too much for her so she summons (and has a TON of fun playing with others BTW). I think a blanket statement saying that NO ONE should summon is kind of a silly proposition since not everyone is the same or comes to video games for the same thing.

Budi

My wife is really bad at video games (she'll admit this herself) but she loves the Dark Souls/Bloodborne lore/word/design/story. She can make it through the regular enemies with grinding and over-leveling. But some of the bosses are just too much for her so she summons (and has a TON of fun playing with others BTW). I think a blanket statement saying that NO ONE should summon is kind of a silly proposition since not everyone is the same or comes to video games for the same thing.

She should just watch it on Youtube then and play something else!

/s I don't think this. But it's something I've seen said by GAF:s Souls community.

Cracklox

Inflammatory much.

Listen OP, I've beaten most bosses in the series solo, but when you kinda suck like me and you're literally stuck on a boss for 4-5 hours and you just want to continue and see other stuff, then sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. Ludwig in BB was prob the best example for me. I battled that dude for hours and had trouble even getting him to his second stage. Was a fucking great fight though and I never raged, but it got to a point where I had to concede I wasn't good enough.

The point is I don't feel like I missed out on playing the game properly. I had a great time fighting him and tried and tried and tried to win, but my (getting) old man reflexes couldn't keep up

Now I can see your point to anyone who gets to a boss for the 1st time and just summons. That's pretty wack, and I'd argue you're missing out by doing that

Cracklox

Apparently OP never hit The Pursuer with a bolt from the ballistas on top of the tower while someone distracted him.

Or maybe OP never hit the host of the world they were summoned in with said bold instead of the Pursuer. Regardless, OP is missing out in a lot of fun ways to play the game.

Oh this too. My favorite was when I was co-opping with a buddy in DS2. Some dude invaded us on the way to Veldstadt, and tried to lure us into the big hallway with all the ghosts. I dropped a seed of the giants (1st time I ever tried one) and hilarity ensued as he got bombarded with the ghosts soul spears. Dude I was playing with thought it was the funniest thing ever too

This.

OP you are a huge loser who wants to be an even bigger loser.

Try having sex once and you will see there are things better than video games. Try outside but hole.

What a weird thing to say.

On topic:
I enjoy the co-op in souls games, it's fun hunting bosses with your friends.

Frodo

Oh this too. My favorite was when I was co-opping with a buddy in DS2. Some dude invaded us on the way to Veldstadt, and tried to lure us into the big hallway with all the ghosts. I dropped a seed of the giants (1st time I ever tried one) and hilarity ensued as he got bombarded with the ghosts soul spears. Dude I was playing with thought it was the funniest thing ever too

You should feel bad for trivialising the game. ;)

Half of my friend list on PSN is people I've met online playing those games. It's my favourite part of the series and why I play it. I have more to do with my life other than play a game just because it's tough. Otherwise I'd be playing Pooh's Baseball game, since the difficulty of the Souls games go down once you realise how they work.

IrishNinja

The bosses are the worst part of the Soulsborne games.

I had beaten every boss in Soulsborne games by myself

especially if he's using Soulsbourne games

I do solo-only clears for my first playthroughts of Soulsborne

not just the Soulsborne one).

personally did the SoulsBorne series o.

In every soulsborne* game,

PSA: they're just Souls games
everyone knows what you're talking about
pls stop using this nonsense word, thanks & enjoy the series, it's really good

Pixieking

Banned
PSA: they're just Souls games
everyone knows what you're talking about
pls stop using this nonsense word, thanks & enjoy the series, it's really good

Except just saying Souls means you may or may not be talking about Bloodborne too. SoulsBorne for when talking about all the games, and Souls when you're just talking about the Souls franchise makes sense, and helps keep things simple.

On topic:

No-one should make pronouncements on how to play any game. People cause enough issues with gatekeeping in gaming as it is, without "This is the right way to play". As long as people have fun, who cares? Point out that fun can be had solo'ing bosses, sure, but anything more is the road paved to gatekeeping and elitism.

IrishNinja

Except just saying Souls means you may or may not be talking about Bloodborne too. SoulsBorne for when talking about all the games, and Souls when you're just talking about the Souls franchise makes sense, and helps keep things simple.

no, i've checked with literally everyone ever and they all agreed, Souls covers Bloodborne too because it's recognized as pretty much the same series, so no extra distinction need be made: anyone who knows what you're talking about with the souls series just assumes bloodborne falls under that as well, until you specify otherwise or say a dumb word to needlessly complicate things

these are the facts forever and i'm glad i could help

Stencil

Title: "You are wrong"
First sentence: "Of course, no one is wrong, but..."

As has been stated, some of us have more pressing things to attend to than to die to O&S over and over.

I thank FROM for including multiplayer and making it as optional as each individual player deems fitting.

Top Bottom