• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad

UrbanRats

Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want and I think it's better to cheese a boss than possibly never get past it but man, summons make fights trivial. Summoning someone to a boss fight doesn't merely make it managable but turns it into straight up the easiest thing you'll face all game because bosses will usually target just one player while the other guy freely gets their attacks in. Why even bother? The boss fights are arguably the best thing about the games and you choose to virtually skip them? Shame on you.

I sort of understand when players get frustrated upon facing multiple boss entities at once but I do think you people are robbing yourself of some of the most memorable single player gaming experience either way.

Solo all the way.
Wasting multiple hours more than necessary to beat a videogame, you're robbing yourself of actually doing interesting shit!

Try a couple of times, if you can't do it, summon and move on with your life, it's just a videogame.

HardRojo

I'm not a fan of summoning someone to help me beat a boss, but I won't look down on someone who does. I love helping people actually lol.

Apathy

It's there as an option put in by the devs. If people need to use it to continue it didn't diminish your accomplishment of not using it. It doesn't hurt you in the slightest so stop giving a shit and just play your game

marrec

Banned
Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want and I think it's better to cheese a boss than possibly never get past it but man, summons make fights trivial. Summoning someone to a boss fight doesn't merely make it managable but turns it into straight up the easiest thing you'll face all game because bosses will usually target just one player while the other guy freely gets their attacks in. Why even bother? The boss fights are arguably the best thing about the games and you choose to virtually skip them? Shame on you.

I sort of understand when players get frustrated upon facing multiple boss entities at once but I do think you people are robbing yourself of some of the most memorable single player gaming experience either way.

Solo all the way.

This is, so far this month, the dumbest hot take I've seen revolving around games media.

You have brought shame to your family.

Riposte

It's too bad it's so difficult to design a good boss fight with multiple players/targets involved, let alone to make one that can do both that and be fit for a solo fight. Yeah, co-op does completely spoil the design of the fights 9 times out of 10. Buffing up HP barely compensates because targeting/aggression is way more important.

Wasting multiple hours more than necessary to beat a videogame, you're robbing yourself of actually doing interesting shit!

Try a couple of times, if you can't do it, summon and move on with your life, it's just a videogame.

I wonder what people would do if summoning wasn't an option.

This is why it should be admissible to put a difficulty selector in Dark Souls. Summoning a friend and having two humans in scenarios designed for one is basically like selecting 'easy' in a hard level in other games.

Curufinwe

Sometimes I summon, sometimes I don't.

I guess you're gonna have to take me to gamer court for my crimes, OP.

Me too.

The worse crime is actually people who complain that the bosses in Souls games are unfairly difficult, but refuse to ever summon out of some weird pride thing.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This is why it should be admissible to put a difficulty selector in Dark Souls. Summoning a friend and having two humans in scenarios designed for one is basically like selecting 'easy' in a hard level in other games.

There were some bosses in DS2 that scaled depending on how many summons you had, but even still it was much easier with more than one person.

I like the concept of summoning being the "easy" mode and hope it doesn't change. If you want a "hard mode" with friends you can always play on NG+ and beyond.

I've only summoned for the orphan of kos... had to do it like ten times because we couldn't take him down, I even got two people with me sometimes and they were destroyed instantly. :p

Mechazawa

If you didn't use the Caestus against every boss in the series you did it wrong.

Do it again or wallow in scrubshit purgatory forever, Imp.

Ferr986

There were some bosses in DS2 that scaled depending on how many summons you had, but even still it was much easier with more than one person.

I like the concept of summoning being the "easy" mode and hope it doesn't change. If you want a "hard mode" with friends you can always play on NG+ and beyond.

All bosses in all games scales with summons

Kamina

Golden Boy
Opinions opinions
I for one dont think it is wrong.
a) bosses get more health per player
b) many bosses are actually multiple enemies, and i dont think it is fair either that bosses can gang up on you who has considerabky less health.

The only bosses i solo are the ones who solo you.
Especially Lady Maria is a boss you need to fight alone,

OP knows how to piss people off. This is just as bad as telling people they should feel bad for liking a certain game just because it isn't a Souls game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
For a game that's intentionally designed to have players going online to discuss strategy and to get help from within the community, to have members of said community be disparaging for using features based on this philosophy always strikes me as odd.

There's no "wrong" way to play dark souls, and that's kind of the point. Use all your tools as you see fit.

Fou-Lu

I played Dark Souls 1 as a magic build and summoned constantly. No regrets, no remorse.

I still haven't even managed to beat it because I suck that badly.

Harmen

People who decide/judge that others should not use gameplay options included by the developers should feel bad.

edbrat

OP is such nonsense, coop is a fantastic addition to the game. Going through Souls games now I typically work my way through the level then I start sticking my sign down and help others out, sometimes for hours and hours if its a fun level and boss. Hell I spent days helping bros out with O&S bc I loved that fight so much and so many people needed help. DS3 I've spent days helping out with a couple of the bosses. In bloodborne there was some vicious bastard on a roof which I camped out by for days slaughtering him again and again. While waiting for a summons I change up my gear and experiment with fun stuff. By the time I get bored I solo the boss...but by then I know them inside out so it's not a huge challenge but even after a load of practice some of them are still pretty challenging (fu orphan, bsb). Anyway without coop Souls games would offer a fraction of the fun I get from them (I concede I'm probably not particularly representative of the wider player base but it's a great buzz when you help someone who has obv been struggling for hours or even days with a boss).

Aeana

He said this in his first sentence. "Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want."

Why reply to a thread if you're not going to read the starting post?

And the title says "you should feel bad." The goal of the OP here is clear: he is shaming people for taking advantage of a specific feature of the games.

Budi

Does it? It's generally a very friendly and helpful community, at least in my experience.

Yes. It's funny though how people who I guess count themselves part of the community supposedly never see it. I'm pretty sure you have questioned this same thing in another thread too, but still it comes as surprise when people point it out.

For a game that's intentionally designed to have players going online to discuss strategy and to get help from within the community, to have members of said community be disparaging for using features based on this philosophy always strikes me as odd.

There's no "wrong" way to play dark souls, and that's kind of the point. Use all your tools as you see fit.

Exactly.

Astral

I actually kind of agree. OP comes off as an elitist snob but I kind of understand what he means. Summoning for boss fights makes them so boring and easy. The victory is so unsatisfying because half the time you just stand there and mash R1. Some bosses go down in seconds depending on how many players are summoned. It's just not fun to me. You don't really get to learn a boss's attack patterns either when you summon, unless he decides to target you. I like soloing the game once so that I feel like I've truly mastered each boss fight. Then on NG+ I summon if I feel like it or if I don't wanna deal with a boss I don't like. I much prefer to be summoned than to summon because that way it means I've already beaten the boss on my own, so I have no problem helping someone else. Anyway, it's just not satisfying to summon imo. It kinda breaks the boss. Bosses that gank you are a different story though.

Miyazaki was so proud of the unique and innovative multiplayer systems in the Soulborne games... It's pretty sad how some people are so down on them.
Ah well *puts down sign*

Not gonna lie, I take it as a personal challenge to defeat every boss in the Souls series by myself.

I had beaten every boss in Soulsborne games by myself .... until I reached Pontiff Sulyvan in Dark Souls 3.

THAT MOTHERFUCKER. I must have tried over a 100 times LITERALLY and never beat him. I just could not get a read on his moves, his movements were so erratic. I finally had to summon but I just felt so deflated from beating him that I've never played a Soulsborne game since, didn't even finish DS3.

That's not to say that every person should have the same drive to beat the bosses. You should ideally give it a few tries but if you don't want to spend time grinding away at a boss then you shouldn't have to and you don't have to.

Lakitu

st5fu
After 3 attempts, I almost always summon. I just don't have the time to repeat a boss multiple times until I beat it.

mstevens

Although OP is a little extreme, I can see an inkling of truth in his point. Some of the most rewarding experiences I've had with gaming came from finally overcoming a hard boss (Father G was the first one and I've been hooked ever since). My friend is someone who summons multiple people on every boss. It never bugged me at all except for one instance - there was a particular boss I had trouble with in DS2 and I kept telling him how amazing the fight was. I hyped it up for a week as he was leading up to it. He killed the boss and texted me saying "eh, it was alright". I asked him if it was hard and he said, nah the guys I summoned killed him really fast.

I just kinda feel like he robbed himself of a really enjoyable, fulfilling game experience, but to each their own I guess. Not a huge deal. I totally get someone wanting to summon help after dying 20 times I guess, but steam rolling through the game on the first go around with a full crew would feel as rewarding as beating it with game shark IMO.

-duskdoll-

giphy.gif

It's one of """"those"""" threads again.

Do you use a weapons/armor? Do you save? Wow OP you're robbing yourself from one of the best gaming experiences ever. You should feel bad.

Yeah, screw me and my occasional use of a built-in optional game mechanic the developers added for the sole purpose of helping out players who were stuck.

g11

I actually love playing FromSoft games coop but generally play them solo first. I don't mind someone cooping those games though. I'd couldn't be arsed to coop Nioh after the solo playthrough though.

Slayven

What's wrong with that? Just ignore them, or try to understand the root of what they're trying to say.

I've played both ways and Souls is 10x more powerful of an experience played solo. So it's understandable people would encourage you to try playing that way, because they want to share the incredible experience and have the game being appreciated at its peak. Sometimes people are just bad expressing themselves.

"You should feel bad"

and some times people are just jerks

Although OP is a little extreme, I can see an inkling of truth in his point. Some of the most rewarding experiences I've had with gaming came from finally overcoming a hard boss (Father G was the first one and I've been hooked ever since). My friend is someone who summons multiple people on every boss. It never bugged me at all except for one instance - there was a particular boss I had trouble with in DS2 and I kept telling him how amazing the fight was. I hyped it up for a week as he was leading up to it. He killed the boss and texted me saying "eh, it was alright". I asked him if it was hard and he said, nah the guys I summoned killed him really fast.

I just kinda feel like he robbed himself of a really enjoyable, fulfilling game experience, but to each their own I guess. Not a huge deal.

I would agree my initial post was likely too edgy and phrased too extreme but your post conveys my feelings very well. I also don't care how people play their games, but I firmly believe many summoners are missing out on very good fights.

Certainly, there are many good reasons to not spend hours upon hours on one fight.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Sometimes in Nioh it's all I can do. Should I not be able to enjoy a game I paid good money for without feeling guilty? It's not like we're cheating, it's a built-in system.

I also really enjoy coming to strangers' aide as well. It's gratifying to help people, and you can get some good gear and resources to boot.

pablito

OP players like you are why even Souls fans like me don't like the "Souls fanbase." Not everyone is like this, as evidenced by the responses, but posts like that stick out and sour people on the community. You should feel bad about caring how people play a game as intended. If FROM didn't want people summoning at bosses, they wouldn't let us. Or give us a limit beyond how many of the summoning item we have. And not everyone enjoys Souls for the accomplishment aspect. Some play in spite of it and enjoy it for other reasons.

If you're not summoning in the Souls games you are robbing yourself of some of the most satisfying co-op ever and are not playing the games as they are designed to be played. Basically pride is stealing away your sense of fun.

trixx

do people even help in these games? Every time I played souls 2 some asshat level 500 with a gigantic sword would just join the game just to kill me

I usually just go afk when i see them

UrbanRats

I wonder what people would do if summoning wasn't an option.

Stop playing? I don't summon that much actually, most bosses in Souls games aren't that hard, but if a game requires me to try for days to beat something, it ain't worth my time.
There's just too much i could be doing.

Nothing against anyone who does want to, tho.

I don't summon other players since I usually play offline but I've summoned NPCs a couple times

In Dark Souls I summoned Solaire for the O&S fight after a couple attempts because I was getting real bored of Anor Londo and wanted to get the **** outta there. If I hadn't I probably would've dropped the game before managing to beat them alone
Which would mean I'dve miss some of my favourite sections in the game just because I was too stubborn to go 'easy mode' for one fight. To me that's just silly

I also went 'easy mode' on Demon's Souls by using a Royal magic user. And in Dark Souls 2 by using the op mace. I still found the games challenging enough

You can't just tell other people they're playing the game wrong - if they're enjoying their experience with it then that's all that matters. Who cares if they don't 'git gud'
Besides, maybe for some people the boss fights aren't the best bits anyway? Personally I prefer exploring the areas & finding secrets/shortcuts much more, some of the boss fights are great whilst others kinda suck

"You're free to play as you like....but you should feel bad"

How about people play games the way they want and feel good about it? Yeah that sounds better.

And the title says "you should feel bad." The goal of the OP here is clear: he is shaming people for taking advantage of a specific feature of the games.
Thank you Aeana.

The goal is absolutely clear by the OP. He wants people to play the game like him or you should be ashamed. Dude needs a reality check. Stick to your own gaming environment and stop trying to make others feel bad.

Way to be an asshole, OP. How about you mind your own business? Not to mention the fact that there are multiple mechanics and systems that revolve entirely around summoning NPCs or other players, like sidequests and covenants. The developer's intention is that you summon if you wish, that's why summoning is incentivized.

Top Bottom