• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad

Ossom

It's not easier if the summon dies within seconds and then you are left fighting a boss that has just received a massive health boost!

Here's a short list of things more pathetic than summoning assistance in souls games:

Trump.
Thinking others should feel bad for summoning assistance in souls games.

Congrats, OP. You're on the same list as Trump.

mebizzle

I fucking love the MP in the Souls games, I think it would be really cool if one of these souls-inspired games takes MP and runs with it, let us form parties MMO-style and do runs of powered up levels or areas

Bulzeeb

At least you threw in "arguably" before shaming people.

The bosses aren't even close to the best thing about the Souls series. The exploration, the immersive despondency of the world, that perfectly metered feeling of growth.

Boiling the series down to a boss rush makes the games trivial and you should feel bad.

I agree with this, I never summoned other players (because for some reason they usually toook way to long to get into my map, but this might be me playing the souls games when they hit the 50% discount on steam instead of day 1) but I did summon some npc that were lying in there, I don't really care about bosses, I prefer the world exploration, finding hidden walls, short cuts and the like was what really caught my eye, sometimes being ambushed by random enemies was more fun than hitting a boss while rolling around them as if you were Sonic or something, I guess thats why I like the world design of 1 the most since everything felt really interconnected in an awesome natural way. For awesome boss rush battles I have Monster Hunter, and even here, the Coop experience is the best.

inner-G

Banned
They were designed in there as part of the game...

One could also argue that you're doing it wrong if you DON'T use them.

jackal27

Banned
Screw that. It was put there by the developers as a tool to use and in the case of Bloodbourne (the only one I've finished) they're right there to summon before bosses. You're encouraged to do it, there's nothing wrong with it, and even though I don't think i ever really did it, you're not any more or less of a wuss if you do/don't.

Exr

Summoning should be kept in but it should lock out trophies for the rest of that playthrough like any other cheat.

CAR105 3

While I do agree that soloing a boss is far more satisfactory there is nothing wrong with playing with a friend.

It's a different experience.

A.Romero

It's an integral part of the design of the game. If you agree or not with the decision is nothing more than an opinion.

If the game allows players playing that way, I see nothing wrong with it, quite the opposite.

It's like complaining that Magneto is overpowered in MVC2. II mean, he is but the game is designed that way and players choosing to play with that character shouldn't be shamed for it.

Neoweee

Summoning should be kept in but it should lock out trophies for the rest of that playthrough like any other cheat.

Cheat is the wrong word. It should be treated like bumping down the difficulty level, if anything.

However, with Souls it is weird, because there is genuine effort and lore/sidequests associated with NPC summons.

ecosse_011172

OP, WTF are you to tell anyone they should feel bad.
What a joke of a thread, people have different abilities, available time to play etc. and should enjoy gaming and feel good however the fuck they want.

bati

DS2 Sunken King DLC gank squad without co-op?

No thanks. It's bollocks.

Is it? I've only fought them like 3 or 4 times and always with a twohander (Dark Crypt Blacksword <3) and was able to pretty much bum rush them. As long as you can get that first swing off you're good.

This thread is a goldmine though, I can't believe how many people are legit butthurt because of OP, it's hilarious.

I only summon when I'm invaded. It's more fun to fight the bosses solo and actually learn what their attacks are and what they are weak to.

Hyun Sai

You can't tell people that online/invasion/no pause is the way those games are meant to be played and in the same time tell them to not summon players.

myco666

Should lock trophies from people who use dodge too.

Outside of the elitism, he isn't wrong about making the fight trivial.

It only makes the fights trivial if players know what they are doing. Bunch of hosts die when you try to help so it is not like summoning is a instant win.

Basketball

casuals outnumber everyone in gaming

Sure summoning is for pussies but you have to understand that the industry revolves around these people.

Can't make it too hard or they will refund/stop playing.

Goes for any genre

first playthrough you are doing yourself a big disservice by summoning.

UCBooties

I used to care about this, but we're so many games in now that it doesn't bug me anymore.

I'm not sure why someone would pick up an infamously difficult game and then take steps to try and remove the challenge, but it's not a terrible crime or anything.

Because they like exploration?

Because they like the art and lore?

Because they want to complete the game but don't have the skills/time to do it by themselves?

Fucks sake, I like the Souls games but "challenge" is pretty much the last thing I like them for.

I run solo a lot on bosses. Yet I still summon especially on later play throughs. Once I beat them solo I see nothing wrong with summoning. But I don't agree with OP saying people should feel bad for summoning. It's in the game if people wanna utilize it that's great. Shit there is even covenants based on nothing but coop

I really don't understand people's fascination on how people should play games.

List so far I've seen. This includes other games.
1. No summoning of players when facing bosses (this thread)
2. No fast travel
3. No quick save
4. Game should only be played on the hardest difficulty

Please add to the list how "real" gamers should play.

Gator86

"I desperately need a way to feel special for beating a video game. Oh yeah, preventing other people from getting completely pointless profile badges will do that! I'm a real winner!"

flozuki

Coop is a lot of fun. Why should everyone avoid it just because OP doesn't see the fun in it?

It is also possible to say you are losing a lot when not summoning because you are not experiencing the feeling to interact and explore with the community (including badass phantoms that perfectly well know how to use the environment).

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want and I think it's better to cheese a boss than possibly never get past it but man, summons make fights trivial. Summoning someone to a boss fight doesn't merely make it managable but turns it into straight up the easiest thing you'll face all game because bosses will usually target just one player while the other guy freely gets their attacks in. Why even bother? The boss fights are arguably the best thing about the games and you choose to virtually skip them? Shame on you.

I sort of understand when players get frustrated upon facing multiple boss entities at once but I do think you people are robbing yourself of some of the most memorable single player gaming experience either way.

Solo all the way.

So edgy.

Souls coop is some of the most memorable gaming experience. Stop robbing yourself.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Don't have a problem with the inclusion, but I personally also never use it myself.

Unlike some, I enjoy learning the fights, the windows of opportunity, the counters, etc... A second player or even an NPC just gets in the way of the duel, leaving a lacking satisfaction in victory with co-op. I also totally understand the enjoyment some earn from co-op is largely separate from my own aim, so again don't really have much issue with that avenue included.

Co-op is one of the best features of Souls, I love it. I dunno how you quantify the 'experiences of victory' OP felt playing solo alongside the 'experiences of victory' I felt when I won some bosses with co-op, but I had a fucking blast regardless.

It's their way of including an easy mode for some players. Not everyone has the time or patience to die against Orstein and Smough 50 times.

Let them play their way and you play your way.

I fucking hate this elitist attitude from Souls fans.
Being able to grind endlessly to level up seems like an already built-in easy mode.

People can play how they want of course - doesn't bug me at all. But the devs should maybe consider making co-op less extraneous to the design, and build bosses who can at least make a co-op fight more interesting.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Thread backfire?... Thread Backfire lol

Why on earth do you care how others approach the game

Same attitude, assholes that now have learned the phrase "META" and think if it isn't "Meta" your doing it wrong or inferior in their eyes

Like I'll play Souls however the fuck I like!
I used the bottom less storage glitch to create extra stones in Demons Souls, no way I was gonna grind the absurd amount needed to +10

I'm OK with it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, that thread backfire? Why is everyone taking the "you should feel bad line" so seriously? It's the gentlest of ribbing. Holy shit, gamers really are so easily triggered if Futurama references offends them so. xD

Opinions like these make me want to not like Souls games. In face, it's this kind of bullshit that makes me tired of gamers and gamer culture. Just please let people do whatever makes them feel god and enjoy things their way.

Stop it with the excluding bullshit. Games and gaming isn't your private clubhouse where no fun is allowed unless people play by your rules.
This is what makes you ashamed to be a gamer? Not the rampant misogyny and racism, the shady business practices and pathetic consumerism, but a harmless, cheeky thread?

Okay...

Opinion as fact, big shock.
?? It's an opinion as an... opinion.

Hey maybe I'm a 32 year old adult who doesn't have hours to spend "getting gud", but rather need to spend it wisely and still enjoy the game fully. I dunno, something about kids and work, and banging my wife...
See, posts like these are far douchier. "I am more adult than though, btw I have sex lololol".

And the title says "you should feel bad." The goal of the OP here is clear: he is shaming people for taking advantage of a specific feature of the games.
Or he's just playfully teasing? I mean... c'mon now. "X is bad and you should feel bad" is an old meme at this point.

I think people are taking that way more seriously than he intended. I doubt he sincerely wants people to be depressed. It's just a little taunt.

Like it wouldn't even enter my mind that the title could be serious or that people would take it serious.
Yeah. I think we're alone in this though.

I spent over ten hours in Bloodborne trying to kill Father Gasciogne before summoning help. I did it a few other times (mostly with NPCs) throughout the game because I only have so much free time and wanted to actually beat the thing.

Cyborg

Never summoned someone on my first playtrough not a NPC nor a player. I do thath always on my 3rd play through

Top Bottom