• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad

Lothar

Banned
And the title says "you should feel bad." The goal of the OP here is clear: he is shaming people for taking advantage of a specific feature of the games.

I think people are taking that way more seriously than he intended. I doubt he sincerely wants people to be depressed. It's just a little taunt.

Like it wouldn't even enter my mind that the title could be serious or that people would take it serious.

Yeah, I never summon. But I do put down my sign plenty because I realize not everyone is looking for the same type of experience that I am and, hey, co op is fun. Souls games have a lot to offer outside of difficulty and if someone prefers to play on the de facto "easy mode" it isn't my place to tell them not to. (although, I have encouraged friends in the past to attempt a solo run first)
I mean, it's this easy folks.

I'm not shameful that I clobbered the boss of Black Gulch in Dark Souls 2 SotFS with an entourage of NPCs. It was totally awesome and downright hilarious.

Everyone should try it at least once.

C10F2E9E9F0A79EEFBC2EF9558225358311D744E

I mean, I love co-op games. And the souls series has provided me with some of the best experiences I've ever had playing co-op.

So I think it is you, OP, who should be feeling bad. You are attempting to rob people of amazing experiences working with others. Stop being an elitist and realize that you are just trying to make others feel bad with the smell of your self-absorbed farts.

I think people are taking that way more seriously than he intended. I doubt he sincerely wants people to be depressed. It's just a little taunt.

Like it wouldn't even enter my mind that the title could be serious or that people would take it serious.

Then maybe he shouldn't have made an ass out of himself with that title. Because with that he is literally shaming people for playing a game the way they want to.

Mael

I only summoned in Bloodborne (in a chalice dungeon) and they use ingame hardtofind currencies for that.
HE FUCKING DISAPPEARED ON ME JUST BEFORE ROM!
If it's an optional randomized dungeon with BS enemy placement, I'll summon all day every day.
Bosses are kinda like bosses in Megaman, if you don't know what you're doing you're going to have a hard time.
Otherwise they're great fun to learn the pattern and defeat.
I don't pay for + because fuck that, the one thing I miss ain't co op and invasion (considering how good I am at the game, it's basically a roulette killing me for no reason) but the bloodstains and message.
I beat the cursed tree during a free + weekend and the message left by the players actually pushed in trying to defeat that boss.
Now stuck against that undead legion boss who is frustratingly fun to fight against, wouldn't want another guy to distract the boss for me.
Bloodborne, I'm waiting till I get the dlc one day to beat the before to last boss on the max ending.
Dark Souls 2....I shouldn't have played the ps4 version first.... a guy in a prison in the dark with a sword.
Nope I don't want to summon on any of them, thank you.
But you do you, and if you have more fun than me there it's great.

luulubuu

Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want and I think it's better to cheese a boss than possibly never get past it but man, summons make fights trivial. Summoning someone to a boss fight doesn't merely make it managable but turns it into straight up the easiest thing you'll face all game because bosses will usually target just one player while the other guy freely gets their attacks in. Why even bother? The boss fights are arguably the best thing about the games and you choose to virtually skip them? Shame on you.

I sort of understand when players get frustrated upon facing multiple boss entities at once but I do think you people are robbing yourself of some of the most memorable single player gaming experience either way.

Solo all the way.

OP has a lot of time to;
-spend on games
-think about the "right way" to play
-share his thoughts about it online

I envy you, OP, I envy your free time, not the rest

okita

As someone who prefer to solo , i can understand some people want to enjoy the game and call for help to not struggle with the bosses , if the person is enjoying the game this way i don't see a problem. There is no rule here, just play the way you want and have fun ...

I get where the OP is coming from but people should play however is fun for them. I will say I think people might be missing out on some of the most gratifying and intense boss fights by rushing to coop them. The few times I've done it I found it to ruin all the impact of the fight as the bosses never were really made to fight multiple targets and it completely trivialized them. Since then I've solo'd every boss no matter how many tries it takes because I know you only get one 'first' time at defeating a boss and I don't like to lose that with summonings.

mstevens

I will say, though, that I would have killed for a summon against that 3 npc boss in the Dark Souls 2 DLC. I was stuck on that for days since I had to solo it.

i bet you feel great because of this thread. playing with friends is fun, you should try it. me and a friend ran through the entirety of ds3 together for both our playthroughs. made it a much more enjoyable and fun experience. nothing wrong with using the features supplied to us.

royox

I never summon on 1vs1 battles but I consider 1vs2 and 1vs3 to be bullshit and unfair so if I am stuck and I can I will summon.

Yes Orstein and Smought I'm looking at you both.

fuck this "you are playing wrong". "you should feel bad" is detrimental to the community. even if it is a joke it is normalizing shitty entertainment policing.

i play videogames to escape the real world of expectations and rules. if you want to play the game with your feet do it. if you want to beat the game by clipping through walls go for it.

nothing worse than people telling you how to have fun

Auctopus

And people wonder why the Souls community is unpopular.

Play however you like. Fuck not getting to see the rest of a game because you've tried 5 times to beat a boss.

So when players complain about how invasion works, "it's part of the game, designed and balanced this way, git gud", but when someone exploits the summons tactic, "it's not part of the game, it wasn't designed this way, git gud."

I'm noticing a pattern here with DS' hardcore fans.

I'm not shameful that I clobbered the boss of Black Gulch in Dark Souls 2 SotFS with an entourage of NPCs. It was totally awesome and downright hilarious.

Everyone should try it at least once.

C10F2E9E9F0A79EEFBC2EF9558225358311D744E

You're goddamn right. I got two sunbros and a third rando when I went to fight the boss in Throne of Want, and I grabbed two or three folks for the midboss in Iron Keep. Co-op is fun as hell, and I like having sunbro's for bosses. Don't tell me how to live my life, OP.

I am only playing DS3 when my two bros who are level 50+ (I am 20 something) are online and can play with me. For me Dark Souls is a social experience.

Come at me OP!

Kurumi

You really took the time out to make a thread telling people they should pretty much feel ashamed for summoning other players for help OP?...

001.jpg

mstevens

Fact. I agree that summoning absolutely breaks the AI, but also who gives a shit? It's a video game. Souls fans forever living on sad video game "accomplishments."

I'm with ya, but have you never had a sort of exhilarating, blood pumping boss fight that you've finally overcome after several attempts? It's not like I'm going around bragging to girls, "hey babe, I solo'd father g without the music box", but more of a "fuck yes I did it, that felt great." I've summoned for bosses (nameless king, for instance) so I get it, but have also had positive experiences with soloing. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

If it doesn't hurt the experience for you then that's great, but with the example of my friend the "meh" reaction he got from the boss fights was directly caused by them being trivialized by summoning. I understand the OP trying to convince people to at least try to experience that, even if he went about it the wrong way.

So when players complain about how invasion works, "it's part of the game, designed and balanced this way, git gud", but when someone exploits the summons tactic, "it's not part of the game, it wasn't designed this way, git gud."

I'm noticing a pattern here with DS' hardcore fans.

Don't let them spoil it. Overall, the community is fun. I like invasions and summons because you never know what you're going to get (except when you used to see Onikiri and Ubadachi, then you knew it would just be Onislayer spam).

Lothar

Banned
Then maybe he shouldn't have made an ass out of himself with that title. Because with that he is literally shaming people for playing a game the way they want to.

Playfully teasing people isn't making an ass out of yourself. That's only embarrassing the people that take it seriously and treat video game banter the same way as they would treat someone insulting their parents.

OP is the same as those who summon help in Souls.

He enters a boss arena (aka make a controversial neogaf threat), then steps back as the summons (other posters) defend him and attempt to beat the boss (his argument) for him.

Solo defending your​ point all the way, right OP...

You see, this is the right way to respond. Tease him back. This is brilliant.

Sotha_Sil

I've beaten most if not all from DS1, 2, and BB by myself and with summons. DeS was mostly by myself but they were easier.

There's something fun about doing it with a partner. I usually prefer npcs though, it feels like they belong there as part of the story. Not to mention, you often have to summon them for their story arcs (at least, I remember this being the case in DS2).

Plus, a lot of the bosses are boring hp pools. I prefer shorter boss fights that sometimes include a gimmick like the Taurus Demon and climbing the tower for a jump attack to take out 1/3 of his hp.

Gator86

I'm with ya, but have you never had a sort of exhilarating, blood pumping boss fight that you've finally overcome after several attempts? It's not like I'm going around bragging to girls, "hey babe, I solo'd father g without the music box", but more of a "fuck yes I did it, that felt great." I've summoned for bosses (nameless king, for instance) so I get it, but have also had positive experiences with soloing. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

If it doesn't hurt the experience for you then that's great, but with the example of my friend the "meh" reaction he got from the boss fights was directly caused by them being trivialized by summoning. I understand the OP trying to convince people to at least try to experience that, even if he went about it the wrong way.

No, I basically agree with you. I never, ever summon because I want to overcome the challenge and the boss AI is wholly incapable of dealing with multiple targets in any way. But I also have zero things to say critical of people who do. If you just want to get past the boss, who am I to have an opinion on how you do it? Maybe someone just wants to explore areas and doesn't enjoy boss fights. Summon away, friend.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Of course you are free to play and enjoy the games you want and I think it's better to cheese a boss than possibly never get past it but man, summons make fights trivial. Summoning someone to a boss fight doesn't merely make it managable but turns it into straight up the easiest thing you'll face all game because bosses will usually target just one player while the other guy freely gets their attacks in. Why even bother? The boss fights are arguably the best thing about the games and you choose to virtually skip them? Shame on you.

I sort of understand when players get frustrated upon facing multiple boss entities at once but I do think you people are robbing yourself of some of the most memorable single player gaming experience either way.

Solo all the way.

Congratulations on being everything wrong with the Souls community. Well done.

cuilan

I do solo-only clears for my first playthroughts of Soulsborne games, with the only exception so far being Dark Souls 3, and that's only because I haven't played it yet. That said, I don't fault anyone for playing them co-op, since there are a number of good reasons why people would prefer doing that. Soulsborne co-op is much more fun for me when I'm helping other players out, so I often leave my summoning sign out whenever I'm online.

Doing a purely mage run I had to call in NPC's to kill bosses and it added to the lore of the games. As a melee character I killed them all once I figured out their patterns.

The only boss I have ever summoned for was Ludwig in the Bloodborne DLC. And even then it was only an NPC. I just needed his attention somewhere else.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This means that the OP doesn't read any of the online hints written on the floors, right? No online period i assume? Otherwise he's definitely playing it wrong.

PSqueak

Banned
Fuck you!, the game gives me tools, im going to use them, the best boss fights in Bloodborne don't allow summons anyways!

Vicar Amelia is a chore, im totally gonna get my girl Henriette to help, i get my smug satisfaction from fighting Martyr Logarius 1v1 anyways.

I got my ass kicked by
gerham
at the end of Bloodborne so many times and I'm pretty sure I wouldnt have beaten him without some help from co-op. Honestly its just fun to play souls games with other people sometimes too.

Kyuur

Solo all the way.

Damn right its arguable. Bosses are cool but hardly even on the map of best things about Souls to me. I play the games for the world (structure, lore, NPCs). Played all the games sans-Demon's straight multiplayer through the first time.
Gwyn
and
Gehrmann
both taken down solo from my end since my multiplayer partner finished first so don't try and tell me I need to 'git gud' either.

Additionally if you play solo and just grind out levels if a boss is too hard, are you also doing it wrong? Everyone should play SL1 for the best and most tense experience amirite.

I wouldn't mind if FROM did a bit more to improve boss AI for multiplayer however.

myco666

I used to care about this, but we're so many games in now that it doesn't bug me anymore.

I'm not sure why someone would pick up an infamously difficult game and then take steps to try and remove the challenge, but it's not a terrible crime or anything.

Why would you level up? Why do you use weapons? You are removing the challenge if you do those.

Kill3r7

The bosses are the worst part of the Soulsborne games.

Exploring and finding shortcuts/new items > boss fights.

Nah. Metroid does that better. Bosses are a major part of what makes Souls games exciting. That said, OP is just wrong. People should be able to play these games anyway they want to.

Top Bottom