• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunsoft and Gaijinworks Team Up in NA: Blaster Master to VC and NIHON TELENET RIGHTS

NichM said:
This isn't a project, though.

I'm just busting Vic's chops here on the fact that we heard about Gaijinworks three years ago and we're just finding out what they're really working on now. It really has been an almost entirely smooth transition from "waiting for WE release news" to "waiting for GJW release news"!

vireland said:
I was literally stunned to hear how far he went with what I recommended. I'm pretty sure you, especially, will be as well.

I am really impressed at the degree to which I have NO FUCKING IDEA what your announcement is going to be. :lol

vireland

charlequin said:
I'm just busting Vic's chops here on the fact that we heard about Gaijinworks three years ago and we're just finding out what they're really working on now. It really has been an almost entirely smooth transition from "waiting for WE release news" to "waiting for GJW release news"!

I am really impressed at the degree to which I have NO FUCKING IDEA what your announcement is going to be. :lol

Well, if you think like an old-school fanboy, you'll be in the right neighborhood, but I think it's such a macro, awesome, crazy move that you still couldn't guess it.

tenritsu

Banned
Freyjadour said:
12313k9.jpg

:lol

vireland said:
Well, if you think like an old-school fanboy, you'll be in the right neighborhood, but I think it's such a macro, awesome, crazy move that you still couldn't guess it.

Vic, you're setting me up for disappointment if this doesn't involved Albert Odyssey or Silius. :p

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Lonewolf_92 said:
You think they'll be resurrecting the "SunSoft Fun Club" (at least I think that was what it was called, it's been years)?
Sunsoft Game Time News, actually. Somewhere back at my parent's place, I still have a few issues of that newsletter. I remember that it had a horrible Blaster Master comic.

Fake Edit: Thank you, internet!

yk5zlje

androvsky

vireland said:

So... selling collector's editions of VC games (with download voucher), complete with reproduction carts?

When I first read your discussion with Yoshida, I was thinking of Shuhei Yoshida from Sony and the Sega leak about the Japanese import store on the U.S. PSN. :(

You know, I bet Vic is going to announce that he is finally selling the warehouse of sealed Working Designs games he has been hoarding for years.

vireland

Freyjadour said:
You know, I bet Vic is going to announce that he is finally selling the warehouse of sealed Working Designs games he has been hoarding for years.

Boy, I only *wish* I had saved more copies of the games we did. I kept some and have thinned them out to make room in our garage, keeping only one or two copies for myself. Some of them went for crazy money (Dragon Force sealed $200+, the LUNARS sealed $200 ish, etc). [Note to self, save more of the collectible stuff from this Sunsoft venture.]

TreIII

Jiguryo said:
qftt. Waku Waku 7 still is one of my fave 2D fighting games, hahah :lol

Well, seeing how an arcade perfect port exists on the PS2 already, I'm not that much in need for another port.

I could definitely go for a sequel though. Even if it was a "console only" affair, it'd be worth it just to see another Waku Waku 7-2. :D

DMczaf

Jonnyboy117 said:
It's a shame that Batman and Fester's Quest probably can't be released on VC. Both are excellent NES games.

WB/DC has the Batman videogame license back, maybe they would work out a deal to publish Batman NES.

Hell, we need Batman Returns SNES too!

vireland said:
Boy, I only *wish* I had saved more copies of the games we did. I kept some and have thinned them out to make room in our garage, keeping only one or two copies for myself. Some of them went for crazy money (Dragon Force sealed $200+, the LUNARS sealed $200 ish, etc). [Note to self, save more of the collectible stuff from this Sunsoft venture.]

Hah, I always joked with a friend that the sealed Lunars on eBay were various Vic aliases. It seems I was right!

vireland

Freyjadour said:
Hah, I always joked with a friend that the sealed Lunars on eBay were various Vic aliases. It seems I was right!

You didn't have to look too hard. I said I was the USA version Writer/Director/Producer in the text with the auction. :)

duckroll

Hey Vic, let's play some word association games. How do you feel about the following words:

- Falcom

- Collection

- Artbook

- Compilation

Cheerilee

vireland said:
You didn't have to look too hard. I said I was the USA version Writer/Director/Producer in the text with the auction. :)
For a while, I think you were even offering to autograph them.

vireland said:

Watches incoming?

thechristoph said:
I disagree on Fester's Quest being excellent. Or good. Or passable. Or even playable.

I've beaten it. On the NES. Without the Game Genie code. It's not the games fault you're not hardcore enough. :lol

vireland

ruby_onix said:
For a while, I think you were even offering to autograph them.

Yeah. I'll autograph anything a fan wants, so that was just a bonus. I *have* learned the hard way, however, not to let people send me stuff to sign. When I used to do that, most sent me one or two things, which was fine, but a few people sent me giant boxes filled with 30-40 things to sign in each one. It made me uncomfortable to be responsible for that, so now if I see you face to face and you want an autograph, never a problem. Or if I sell something I can offer an optional autograph. But I don't do the mail-in thing any more.

I only have a few more extras to sell on eBay, but I've been way, way too busy the last couple months to even list them.

OnPoint

Lonewolf_92 said:
I've beaten it. On the NES. Without the Game Genie code. It's not the games fault you're not hardcore enough. :lol

I got to the last guy. Never did finish him off. Good on you.

OnPoint said:
I got to the last guy. Never did finish him off. Good on you.

You didn't miss much by not beating him, the ending is rather underwhelming for all the trouble you have to go through to get there.

PopfulMail

Blaster Master is great news and I'll be sure to DL it to support this venture.

Like everyone else... I'm really interested in hearing what this Friday news is. Can't wait!!!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
If it weren't for Vic responding favorably to someone's guess of a "new project", I'd assume that he was getting some Turbo and Sega CD titles on Virtual Console...

(Sega CD is possible on Virtual Console; it hasn't happened yet, but it is possible... and remember that when Turbo CD games appeared, there was no special notice or subcatagory - they were simply classified under Turbo Grafx.)

I'm all for the Blaster-Master love, but someone had to bring up Cadash and get me all nostalgic.

I bought a Turbo with my had earned allowance as a kid just for that game- and it was *SO* worth it. I've always wondered how long the game took to finish in the arcade- it took a while on the console from what I remember.

...and now I've totally lost interest in Blaster Master and want a true 4 player version of Cadash that doesn't eat up quarters like there's no tomorrow.

I'm prepared to be wowed on Friday!

wondermega

Sunsoft Game Time News. I still have those in my closet (what does that say about me?)

sigh,.. Sunsoft. Back in the day those guys could easily go toe-to-toe with the likes of Capcom and Konami, and were celebrated as such. Just another small studio which never scaled appropriately into the next generations and fizzled out. But, such wonderful games. Remember Gremlins 2?

Porridge

So, Victor Ireland is saying on the Sunsoft forum that it is "not Albert Odyssey for this one" (the upcoming press release, which btw may suggest Albert Odyssey is still a possibility. hope hope) and that gamers guessing right now are thinking ''too small''...

I don't know WHY I'm thinking this whole thing is just a Sunsoft compilation?! Yes, that would be cool, but kind of underwhelming at the same time. I think I'd rather have him not hype it up so much, whatever this is. Still, it's fun to think about.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
vireland said:

wow, I still feel lucky for getting Dragon Force new for 15 bucks in 2001.

vireland

Porridge said:
So, Victor Ireland is saying on the Sunsoft forum that it is "not Albert Odyssey for this one" (the upcoming press release, which btw may suggest Albert Odyssey is still a possibility. hope hope) and that gamers guessing right now are thinking ''too small''...

I don't know WHY I'm thinking this whole thing is just a Sunsoft compilation?! Yes, that would be cool, but kind of underwhelming at the same time. I think I'd rather have him not hype it up so much, whatever this is. Still, it's fun to think about.

It's not a Sunsoft compliation. I wouldn't hype something that normal/logical.

radcliff

Spy Hunter completely redone in 3D with action/stealth missions. I think of all Sunsoft's IPs, Spy Hunter has the most "core" appeal. Metal Gear meets Road Rash (in cars).

Porridge said:

Albert Odyssey too small? I...have no clue what this is.

Friday please.

sfog

radcliff said:
Spy Hunter completely redone in 3D with action/stealth missions. I think of all Sunsoft's IPs, Spy Hunter has the most "core" appeal. Metal Gear meets Road Rash (in cars).

I'm pretty sure Midway had owned the Spy Hunter IP, although I don't know if their sale to Warner Bros. affected that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
lyre said:
OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFGOMFG
2hgbiqe.jpg

I'm not buying it, but one of the best games of all time is getting a second chance for exposure!

This is awesome!!! Glad to see Vic back in the game and publishing on the VC. Can't wait to see what the blowout is next week...

Never beat Blaster Master when I had it on NES, only getting as far as the 3rd stage... so maybe now I will finally be able to.

vireland

djtiesto said:
This is awesome!!! Glad to see Vic back in the game and publishing on the VC. Can't wait to see what the blowout is next week...

Never beat Blaster Master when I had it on NES, only getting as far as the 3rd stage... so maybe now I will finally be able to.

You'll have an incentive to beat it this time around.

Porridge

Hero of Legend said:
Who owns Chameleon Twist now? Japan System Supply did before, but do they still even exist?

Oh my God... Chameleon Twist. So this means my brother and I aren't crazy and someone else actually likes that game?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
If GaijinWorks is going to be in bed with Sunsoft on matters of Virtual Console then I hope that GaijinWorks knows that English NTSC versions of U-four-ia: The Saga and Mr. Gimmick exist (or existed, at some point). I know this can't be what Vic is being deliciously elusive about because it's kind of an obvious end of the deal, but I though I'd point it out so that it's fresh on more people's minds.

Porridge said:
Oh my God... Chameleon Twist. So this means my brother and I aren't crazy and someone else actually likes that game?

I never played it though. :(

Someone mentioned it earlier in here, and I just looked it up, it definitely looks like a game that's up my alley though! :D

Off topic, but wasn't Vic looking into localizing the psp version of Tengai Makyou IV? I wonder if that ever got underway....

Top Bottom