• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

joe2187

Banned
I haven't seen the Uncharted video: Why are Woolie and Matt playing it? Do they like it? Are people only disliking it cause it's about two women?

Are women the main/leads?

Automatic SJW, Cuckbait leftist liberal bleeding pansy feminist garbage with shoehorned diversity and not a real game.

Anung

Un Rama
And they're accusing Matt of being an 'SJW'. What a toxic fan base these guys attract. I know they like staying apolitical but doing so just lets this kind of rot infect (or become) your fanbase.

I wish you guys never pointed the comments out now as reading it is giving me brain damage.

As for the video itself it seems okay. I always find it hard to get through videos where they don't know much about what they are talking about and are ignorant about a series.

What are the characters really the problem?

I have more the feeling people dislike it because they rarely play big new releases and then they do it and choose this one like wtf.

Doesnt seem like a great LP game. Well at least its not Contents Underwhelming.

Order

What are the characters really the problem?

I have more the feeling people dislike it because they rarely play big new releases and then they do it and choose this one like wtf.

Doesnt seem like a great LP game. Well at least its not Contents Underwhelming.
You're gonna look at those comments and sincerely say people are just mad they're playing a new game? For real?

You're gonna look at those comments and sincerely say people are just mad they're playing a new game? For real?

For the majority thats the case.

Yes there some stupid comments about women but thats not the majority.

Most people are just why? and bored.

Well, if anyone needed a reminder that a fairly large portion of the fanbase is nothing but toxic fucks...

I mean, I stopped visiting the subreddit when I found every other poster I clicked on was a poster of KotakuInAction.

It's unfortunate how afraid they are to try and disavow this garbage.

Squishy3

It's unfortunate how afraid they are to try and disavow this garbage.
Because if they address it, it opens them up to a dedicated harassment campaign. Even if it's not organized, you'd know that people would incessantly tweet at them/email/leave even worse comments etc and the really terrible people would be attempting to doxx them.

They haven't really had anything that's needed to be denounced, e.g remember when Giantbomb hired Dan and someone tweeted about how they were disappointed the new hire was yet another Caucasian male? And a small contingent of fans started harassing that person for holding that opinion and Jeff had to write a letter from the editor about it denouncing them and telling them to stop it, I don't think anything like that has happened. You have a large enough fanbase, a portion of that fanbase is going to hold terrible views.

It's also not like the Reddit is full of the same comments you see on the video itself, and it seems like the really bad ones on the video have been deleted. (By one of the guys or Youtube itself) Reddit mods assuredly would also be quick on handling the bad stuff, since the guys are kinda tied to the subreddit.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
It's also not like the Reddit is full of the same comments you see on the video itself, and it seems like the really bad ones on the video have been deleted. (By one of the guys or Youtube itself) Reddit mods assuredly would also be quick on handling the bad stuff, since the guys are kinda tied to the subreddit.

Yeah, honestly I don't think the reddit is as bad as some people in the thread make it out to be. It's fine and fun and maybe a little vapid at worst compared to here. I might not personally like Edzi, but I appreciate him bringing up his critical opinion sometimes, and I can't imagine anyone saying anything like him in the subreddit (which i'm fine with, sometimes I like going to vapid places, nothing wrong with that.)

Jintor

Because if they address it, it opens them up to a dedicated harassment campaign. Even if it's not organized, you'd know that people would incessantly tweet at them/email/leave even worse comments etc and the really terrible people would be attempting to doxx them.

They haven't really had anything that's needed to be denounced, e.g remember when Giantbomb hired Dan and someone tweeted about how they were disappointed the new hire was yet another Caucasian male? And a small contingent of fans started harassing that person for holding that opinion and Jeff had to write a letter from the editor about it denouncing them and telling them to stop it, I don't think anything like that has happened. You have a large enough fanbase, a portion of that fanbase is going to hold terrible views.

i don't have any solutions but this seems like a really bad situation where not wanting to provoke the shitty portion of your fanbase essentially holds you hostage to a policy of silence

Squishy3

i don't have any solutions but this seems like a really bad situation where not wanting to provoke the shitty portion of your fanbase essentially holds you hostage to a policy of silence
Yeah, there isn't really much to do in regards to that, you either provoke or you stay silent and don't embrace/condemn it. It's pretty obvious they don't hold the same views, otherwise for example they'd probably never have gotten Laura Kate Dale as a guest. (Seeing her nerd out about being on the podcast and being genuinely excited about saying SUPERBESTFRIENDCAST AT GMAIL DOT COM was pretty great)

And the comments on anything regarding that podcast were outright terrible as well. One of the mods posted about some of the stuff they got in reports when that episode went up too because they were mad their posts were getting deleted. https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoBestFri...hip_hop_prime_is_a_snitch_feat_laura/ddqhhf0/

Strimei

I know the guys were down on Evil Within, but how likely you think an LP of Evil Within 2 is?

Like for all its faults, I did enjoy watching them play it. Wouldn't mind seeing it.

Xux

I feel like the controllers on the PC that Woolie set up for FFF/SMS have had different buttons for, like, five years.

I like how since Liam left he's been a smidge more vocal re: issues. He always seemed to walk "the line" the most on the podcast.

Yeah he was the only one I remember who explicitly called out some fans for certain behavior. Meanwhile the others seemed to coward out. I imagined them sitting there tugging at their collars as Liam went in.

tenor.gif

Frimaire

Wow, catching up on the Policenauts LP, and so far I think it's been one of my favorites in a while.
Only downside is that Woolie calling out Johnathan's transphobia/sexism/general assholery provoked youtube comments showing once again how shitty the fanbase can be...

There's only a fan translation for Policenauts right? If so I'm curious how accurate it is. I imagine a degree of a translator's politics making it into the script, especially for something unofficial.

Not that I'd be surprised Kojima wrote something blatantly transphobic. Especially 1994 Kojima.

Matsukaze

I know the guys were down on Evil Within, but how likely you think an LP of Evil Within 2 is?

Like for all its faults, I did enjoy watching them play it. Wouldn't mind seeing it.
As mediocre as the game itself was, the Evil Within LP was definitely enjoyable. It did feature some of the recurring Best Friends flaws (driving jokes into the ground, blindness/regularly missing items), but it was a solid LP. I'd like to see them give the sequel a go and I figure there's a fairly high chance of it happening.

Wait is the channel now longer Sw1tcher?
Sw1tcher has been gone for a week or two now. We're in a new age.

EDIT: Actually, more like three weeks.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
There's only a fan translation for Policenauts right? If so I'm curious how accurate it is. I imagine a degree of a translator's politics making it into the script, especially for something unofficial.

Not that I'd be surprised Kojima wrote something blatantly transphobic. Especially 1994 Kojima.

Considering Slowbeef translated it, I don't think it's that.

Exodust

Banned
It's a game that came out in 1994, and the old trope of "real men only want real women" was a thing used to establish your MC's "manliness" back then.

It's outdated and shitty as fuck, but it shouldn't be a surprise that a narrative from 23 years ago would have throw away lines that would jump out at us now.

Considering Slowbeef translated it, I don't think it's that.

I don't know who that is so I looked it up and looks like Slowbeef just hacked it. Translator was a Marc Laidlaw, edited by James Snipes.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1422/

edit: Apparently Marc Laidlaw is most popular for being a writer on Half-Life, and the source of the latest HL3 'fanfic'.

edit: Looks like Marc actually commented on the translation in 2013 if anyone is interested in reading it - http://forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopic.php?p=39968#p39968

Regarding the "biovestite" line, the word that Kojima used was バイオハーフ (bio half), which was almost certainly inspired by the Japanese word ニューハーフ (new half). In Japanese, "half" was commonly used when referring to individuals who are half Japanese, half another ethnicity. So one would say so-and-so is a Japanese-American "half." It's similar to saying one is "half Japanese, half American." Since the game was released, it has generally come into view that the term has a discriminatory tone ("half a person"), and alternatives like "mixed" are preferred. Japanese has a tendency of taking English words and re-purposing them (wasei-eigo), often with totally different meanings from the original words. Japanese people do not realize these terms are sometimes offensive in English. The more globally conscious ones will, but not all. In time, awareness may increase, as it did with "half."

The term "new half" came about in the 80s. It's not clear who coined it, but it caught on when a pre-op transsexual, Rumiko Matsubara, entered a female modeling competition and won, later revealing she had been born a man. Therefore, a "new half" is a person who is, well, a new kind of "half." As derogatory as that term may sound to a native English speaker, again, this is wasei-eigo
[...]
The "so-called women," however, that was not explicitly in the original Japanese. I added that because I saw it as appropriate, given Jonathan's extreme character (verbally and physically harassing nearly every woman he meets), my interpretation of "bio half" and the strip bar, and, as you point out, this nostalgia we see throughout the game. I couldn't imagine Jonathan not saying that in that situation, considering those three factors. So I am fully responsible for that line. But I don't consider it as going against the spirit of the game any more than the addition of the phone sex line conversation to the Sega CD version of Snatcher goes against its. It's just that Snatcher has a more playful tone, whereas Policenauts' is more 意地悪 (ijiwaru, "mean").

Exodust

Banned
Well, that changes things if it was added in 2013. I can kinda understand what he was going for, but still the wrong call IMO.

Strimei

As mediocre as the game itself was, the Evil Within LP was definitely enjoyable. It did feature some of the recurring Best Friends flaws (driving jokes into the ground, blindness/regularly missing items), but it was a solid LP. I'd like to see them give the sequel a go and I figure there's a fairly high chance of it happening.

The game itself had some good points I think but yeah it was generally mediocre. I did like the design of the DLC enemy though, a lot. Also the LP gave one of my favorite line from Pat, just because of how he said it:

I didn’t expect we’d have a screaming brain.

There's just something about that and how he said it that cracks me up every time.

And yeah with it releasing right around Halloween, likely be part of Shitstorm and what they continue with, hopefully.

So the developers of Death Cargo supposedly posted this in response to their video:

NECRO-Hi and thanks to mike0bot for sharing this video.
-As previously announched in 2015 we are absolutely not happy with "Death Cargo", and we consider it a terrible game, that's why we removed it from the market. -"Death Cargo" is going to be replaced by another game called "Gorebreaker"
-Gorebreaker is going to be a single player, side scrolling fighter, with RPG elements. From "Death Cargo" we only kept the main story, the characters main concept, the soundtrack, the vibe. We replaced all the graphics with awesome "handmade" 2D animations, and of course we created an actual and compelling gameplay.
-Gorebreaker beta was approved by ID@XBOX, and will be released for Windows10 and Xbox One in 2018.
-As previously announced on our official channels, all "Death Cargo" customers will receive a free digital copy of "Gorebreaker"
Thank you again for sharing
Stay NECRO...and wait till the STORM comes Necrostorm company
Riccardo Simoncinelli Web moderato NECROSTORM company

A.J.

Banned
I could see it being good for a whole run, but it depends on how much of a hard time Matt and Woolie would have with the puzzles.

Strimei

Guess this explains the back to back Policenauts a few days back.

Woolie's in Amsterdam apparently or something so that may cause some issues.

Top Bottom