• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R |OT| Buggler? I Hardly Know Her!

man I'm on the fence. What would I guys score this game post patch?
Not sure what score I'd give it, but if you're into Bomberman and the price doesn't bother you I'd say get it. I've really enjoyed my time with it so far, especially now with this patch.
What's the quickest way to make money? Ranked online or repeating story mode?
Haven't really tried grinding out money yet, but I've read beating the final boss over and over was a good way to get gems. Haven't gotten that far in story mode yet to try it out myself. If you can win consistently in ranked, that would be a good way too.

Camjo-Z

What's the quickest way to make money? Ranked online or repeating story mode?

The final boss for sure, it only takes a few minutes and I believe you get 1000 gems on Veteran if you grab every pickup and don't lose any lives. You could do it on Expert for a few more gems but the randomness and length of his second phase targeting attack makes it not really worth the extra effort.

japtor

Finished the first Planet. I really like the voiced cutscenes. The artwork is REALLY good imo. The dub's not annoying either. It feels like a legit Bomberman Saturday Morning Cartoon skit. Haha.

I think the patch made a huge different in terms of camera, but I kinda wish it tilted a little more to an actual top down view. The angle still makes it a little annoying to gauge distance sometimes when there are too many blocks.
Would the height differences in multi level stuff be noticeable top down? I'd guess it has something to do with the visibility of that.

Seik

Banned
I just finished the story mode, I was at 4-2 pre-patch and did the rest today. The new framerate is a blessing.

Played a dozen of online matches as well, definitely better than before, only had one match that lagged a bit. Still only first rank though...losing more than I win makes it hard to level up in rank.

Because I'm super bored of grinding the final boss for gems I jumped online for the first time last night to see how it goes. I won almost all the matches I played and got 300 gems per match, it's not bad but boss feels more time efficient, albeit less fun :p

For the most part it ran pretty well, until I got matched against someone who was 'god class' and appeared to be pretty decent at the game. Sadly I wasn't able to enjoy feeling out how good they were as the connection in the matches we were both in weren't great and it lagged out at several critical moments, the worst being when they spammed a line of bombs at me I could've easily disrupted with punch if the game hadn't been hit with a massive lag spike as I moved to do so (the entire game halted for a good 3 seconds) and caused me to kick it instead :/ I normally enjoy fighting someone I consider potentially on my level or better than me (I honestly savour that sense of friendly rivalry) but whether I won or lost against them it felt hollow as I knew the lag had been an issue throughout the entire match, which is a shame.

I find the revenge carts in competitive a bit questionable as I spend a significant portion of matches with newer opponents having to demonstrate that they can't get me rather than actually fighting my opponents. Usually they get the message eventually and go chase someone else but I still get irked at wasting my time on it, especially on the occasions I've had to wait for the last minute of the match just to get rid of them. I wouldn't mind quite as much if anyone outside of the god class bomber I mentioned before had shown any aptitude for using the revenge cart to make it interesting but most people are pretty hopeless with them :p

Again though, laggy matches and revenge carts aside i thought the online was pretty fun for the most part.

The final boss for sure, it only takes a few minutes and I believe you get 1000 gems on Veteran if you grab every pickup and don't lose any lives. You could do it on Expert for a few more gems but the randomness and length of his second phase targeting attack makes it not really worth the extra effort.
Do you actually get more gems for expert? I thought I'd read it gave out about the same reward?
I can't tell because the last boss always ends up 'getting lucky' with it's random orbital bombardment and just so happens to create situations where it carpet bombs the entire platform I'm on with no safe area to stand on (I'm open to the idea that there is a safe area in there somewhere, but the camera angle and sheer number of incoming blast indicators cluttering the screen make it incredibly difficult to parse, and this is coming from someone who can usually find a safe spot when 3 people in power zone run through them unloading all their bombs as they go :p )

Camjo-Z

Do you actually get more gems for expert? I thought I'd read it gave out about the same reward? I can't tell because the last boss always ends up 'getting lucky' with it's random orbital bombardment and just so happens to create situations where it carpet bombs the entire platform I'm on with no safe area to stand on (I'm open to the idea that there is a safe area in there somewhere, but the camera angle and sheer number of incoming blast indicators cluttering the screen make it incredibly difficult to parse, and this is coming from someone who can usually find a safe spot when 3 people in power zone run through them unloading all their bombs as they go :p )

Every area has a formula for your gem payout: lives remaining, items grabbed, and whether or not you used a continue, with higher multipliers on higher difficulties. So for the final boss the max you can get in Beginner is 590, Veteran is 1050, and Expert is 1340.

And yeah, that obnoxious carpet bomb attack in his second phase is what makes Expert annoying. Even if you don't get cheated by RNG that covers the entire area you're currently on, he can still spam it like four times in a row and make it near impossible to drop a bomb until he's done, so the extra time you waste trying not to die is ultimately only worth about 300 more gems. Meanwhile Veteran and Beginner take a few minutes each if you use Plasma Bomber's quick bombs, so Veteran is the best value proposition.

Regiruler

I find the revenge carts in competitive a bit questionable as I spend a significant portion of matches with newer opponents having to demonstrate that they can't get me rather than actually fighting my opponents. Usually they get the message eventually and go chase someone else but I still get irked at wasting my time on it, especially on the occasions I've had to wait for the last minute of the match just to get rid of them. I wouldn't mind quite as much if anyone outside of the god class bomber I mentioned before had shown any aptitude for using the revenge cart to make it interesting but most people are pretty hopeless with them
The cooldown on the carts is just so that you can make chains. It's part of ranked, deal with it.

That attitude of yours will come back and bite you in the ass.

StayDead

So I got this today. It's pretty special isn't it! Played some local 2 player (with 2 comps) with my step brother who isn't very good and had a lot of fun!

deadfolk

I stink and I learned the hard way not to play League Battle. I lost my small amount of BP in one shot the other day. I stick to Free Battle.

We should get some game nights or something going. I'd love to play a good 8-player game. My friend code is 4735-7738-5485, if anyone wants to add me.

What are BP? Is that different to the currency used for unlocks? I don't​ have the game yet, but it sounds really off-putting if there's currency/points you can lose when playing.

Camjo-Z

What are BP? Is that different to the currency used for unlocks? I don't​ have the game yet, but it sounds really off-putting if there's currency/points you can lose when playing.

Battle Points, your online ranking. It's like most competitive online games where you gain points for winning and lose points for losing. The higher your rank the more gems (currency) you get when you win matches. Honestly unless you want to play with friends there's no reason not to play League Battle because you don't get any currency in Free Battle. Better to get your 20 G pittance for losing than nothing at all.

edit: also you know you've got a good multiplayer game when i'm constantly switching between raging at how these idiots in the carts need to GET OFF MY BACK and then cackling like a maniac when my own revenge cart bomb lands in the middle of a fray and kills everyone completely by accident, making me the sole winner

Oregano

Been playing this again since the update. Just wish there was an easier way to get coins to buy stuff. They should give 100 coins every day you play or something.

deadfolk

Battle Points, your online ranking. It's like most competitive online games where you gain points for winning and lose points for losing. The higher your rank the more gems (currency) you get when you win matches. Honestly unless you want to play with friends there's no reason not to play League Battle because you don't get any currency in Free Battle. Better to get your 20 G pittance for losing than nothing at all.

edit: also you know you've got a good multiplayer game when i'm constantly switching between raging at how these idiots in the carts need to GET OFF MY BACK and then cackling like a maniac when my own revenge cart bomb lands in the middle of a fray and kills everyone completely by accident, making me the sole winner

Thanks for the info. I'm so torn on whether to pick this up or not. I'm not very competitive and not particularly good at any game, so one of my fears is that I would just find this frustrating losing all the time and actually being penalised for it.

AEREC

So tempted to get this now, the last bomberman i played was the Xbox live arcade one that was a lot of fun. $50 seems hard to swallow though.

What's the single player performance like, is it 60fps as well or variable between 30-60?

So tempted to get this now, the last bomberman i played was the Xbox live arcade one that was a lot of fun. $50 seems hard to swallow though.

What's the single player performance like, is it 60fps as well or variable between 30-60?
It's not 60 but it plays fine and the visuals didn't take the beating the now super smooth multiplayer did.

steveovig

I'm just starting again now post-patch my FC is 4735-7738-5485. I added a few people from the last 2 pages, my name is a revolving door of Seinfeld characters, right now being Todd Gack.

thefro

Online is good now if you set the option to only connect to people with good connections.

It's still a mess if you get someone lagging.

Now I've got to get decent so I can get out of Baby League, lol.

So when I create a room online there is always a 40 sec. countdown and it's not enough time to get people in the room let alone 8 players. Is there a way to prolong or turn this countdown off?

steveovig

Would anyone be interested in maybe a designated time for some matches each week? We could do it in a private room and give the time out ahead of time and the room number at the start.

blitz64

So when I create a room online there is always a 40 sec. countdown and it's not enough time to get people in the room let alone 8 players. Is there a way to prolong or turn this countdown off?

Nope

The most people I have played is a 6 player game online.

Nope

The most people I have played is a 6 player game online.

I just got 5 players. I'm making the games settings kinda quick-ish and so far we haven't had many laggy people join. I did set it to prefer players with faster connections in the settings, if that helps very much.

Also, anyone feel free to add me FC: 5831-8153-2523

mstevens

Finished the first world and I'm really not digging the single player. Granted, I'm not very good at bomberman games in general, but killing those damn grasshopper guys and the first boss (in bomberman form, not the robot) was really tedious. This is on easy, by the way. Does it get any better? I'd like to earn some gems to unlock more stages.

Luckily for me, local multiplayer is really fun. I'm not good enough to do any damage online, but my girlfriend and I had a great time with it. Weak level computer bombers sure don't make many mistakes, though. I was surprised about how difficult it is to trap them.

BizzyBum

Yo, the online in this game is brutal in a sense that it's super unforgiving.

Played 3 matches. First was laggy as shit and ended up getting disconnected which makes you lose league points. OK. Second match I come in last in another laggy mess and lose more points. Third match I 1v1 some champion tier player and beat him 2-0 and I only get like 100 points. lol

Definitely only matching green bar connections from now on.

The online is pretty cool.

I actually like how brutal the points system is. -70 for not scoring is pretty rough.

Lag has caused me to lose a few rounds but in general I'm having a good time with the game.

I haven't started the campaign yet as I'm waiting to play it in coop.

I've got the game on loan from a friend so I'll have to decide if I want to buy it for myself in about a week.

On release I only finished the first single player world.
Didn't had much fun and only played local multiplayer with friends.

But after the update I finished the single player and had so much fun!

I think now the game is also worth for the single player! And that ending theme was nice
I did not expect vocals

Every area has a formula for your gem payout: lives remaining, items grabbed, and whether or not you used a continue, with higher multipliers on higher difficulties. So for the final boss the max you can get in Beginner is 590, Veteran is 1050, and Expert is 1340.

And yeah, that obnoxious carpet bomb attack in his second phase is what makes Expert annoying. Even if you don't get cheated by RNG that covers the entire area you're currently on, he can still spam it like four times in a row and make it near impossible to drop a bomb until he's done, so the extra time you waste trying not to die is ultimately only worth about 300 more gems. Meanwhile Veteran and Beginner take a few minutes each if you use Plasma Bomber's quick bombs, so Veteran is the best value proposition.
Ah, good to know :3
Sounds like Plasma Bomber might be a worthwhile investment then, just to speed up the grind XD

The cooldown on the carts is just so that you can make chains. It's part of ranked, deal with it.

That attitude of yours will come back and bite you in the ass.
Been dealing with them fine since Super Bomberman 3 :p
I just find them a bit boring to deal with unless the person in the cart is particularly good/devious with it (which is no easy task). If someone can actually threaten me with it then it's actually an interesting addition but without the ability to vary your throw strength or speed the cart up like in some of the previous entries they're more of a minor obstacle most of the time that are best dealt with by boring them into chasing someone else due to the limitations making their usage fairly limited/predictable. I'm not blaming people for not being amazing with them, for the most part I'd actually put it down more to the way the carts work this time around :3

Finished the first world and I'm really not digging the single player. Granted, I'm not very good at bomberman games in general, but killing those damn grasshopper guys and the first boss (in bomberman form, not the robot) was really tedious. This is on easy, by the way. Does it get any better? I'd like to earn some gems to unlock more stages.

Luckily for me, local multiplayer is really fun. I'm not good enough to do any damage online, but my girlfriend and I had a great time with it. Weak level computer bombers sure don't make many mistakes, though. I was surprised about how difficult it is to trap them.
At the lower difficulties you can kill the frogs easier/faster by putting a bomb on the spot they'll land on. If they end up on your bomb it'll explode immediately, killing them :D
Unless the difficulty tweaks toned down their speed, being able to do this on the higher difficulties is a bit more taxing due to the speed increase they get.
As for the single player in general, I don't feel it's one of the stronger ones in the series sadly. I love the cartoon interludes and whatnot but for whatever reason the actual levels don't grab me much, though admittedly the extra missions types don't help (respawning enemies isn't fun, the survival missions are pretty dull and the rescue missions are painful at best :s )

Not sure if it'll work on the computer but if you're against another player that doesn't have punch or kick you can often kill them by just running through them while spamming bombs, trapping them in the line. Just be wary of people who are wise to this tactic countering it by dropping their own bombs to try and block you from moving past them :p Might be worth giving it a go against a weak level cpu? :3

Farmboy

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but there's some misinformation out there: is there a difference in the max. number of players on a single switch if the switch is in tabletop mode? Or is it still 8?

Also, if I link up three switches can I play with five players (2-2-1 per switch)?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but there's some misinformation out there: is there a difference in the max. number of players on a single switch if the switch is in tabletop mode? Or is it still 8?

Also, if I link up three switches can I play with five players (2-2-1 per switch)?

You can play 8 player in any switch configuration. As for the multiple switch's I'm not sure how that's done. I think you can link up multiple switch's in the way you are asking.

Added the people from this page to my friend's list.

My FC is: SW-1992-7925-5001, and my username is Arthe.

Feel free to add me - I need people to play ( and suck at ) Bomberman with.

Regiruler

The grasshoppers are pitifully easy on beginner. Just place a bomb where they will land.

mstevens

At the lower difficulties you can kill the frogs easier/faster by putting a bomb on the spot they'll land on. If they end up on your bomb it'll explode immediately, killing them :D
Unless the difficulty tweaks toned down their speed, being able to do this on the higher difficulties is a bit more taxing due to the speed increase they get.
As for the single player in general, I don't feel it's one of the stronger ones in the series sadly. I love the cartoon interludes and whatnot but for whatever reason the actual levels don't grab me much, though admittedly the extra missions types don't help (respawning enemies isn't fun, the survival missions are pretty dull and the rescue missions are painful at best :s )

Not sure if it'll work on the computer but if you're against another player that doesn't have punch or kick you can often kill them by just running through them while spamming bombs, trapping them in the line. Just be wary of people who are wise to this tactic countering it by dropping their own bombs to try and block you from moving past them :p Might be worth giving it a go against a weak level cpu? :3

Cool, thanks for the tips. Yeah the respawning enemies are really annoying as well.

I'm going to keep plowing ahead to see if I can make it to the final world, so I can farm for gems. I really just want more maps for when friends come over.. kinda annoyed that I have to spend all this time unlocking them.

BizzyBum

The story mode can get frustrating as fuck sometimes. The ending credits were pretty cool, though.

Is there any reason to try and get 3 star clears for each difficulty? Do you unlock more things in the shop?

Cool, thanks for the tips. Yeah the respawning enemies are really annoying as well.

I'm going to keep plowing ahead to see if I can make it to the final world, so I can farm for gems. I really just want more maps for when friends come over.. kinda annoyed that I have to spend all this time unlocking them.
No worries. I'm kind of in the same boat to some degree: Not loving the single player but I want those multiplayer levels.
I might just play ranked a bit more because while it's less efficient even when you win all the time, I find it a lot more enjoyable at least :3

The story mode can get frustrating as fuck sometimes. The ending credits were pretty cool, though.

Is there any reason to try and get 3 star clears for each difficulty? Do you unlock more things in the shop?
Only unlocks I'm aware of are:
* complete story mode on any difficulty = unlock dastardly bombers in shop
* get 3 stars on each world in one difficulty (e.g. 3 star every world on novice) = unlock pretty bomber in shop

If there's anything beyond that I've not seen it mentioned anywhere :eek:

BizzyBum

Only unlocks I'm aware of are:
* complete story mode on any difficulty = unlock dastardly bombers in shop
* get 3 stars on each world in one difficulty (e.g. 3 star every world on novice) = unlock pretty bomber in shop

If there's anything beyond that I've not seen it mentioned anywhere :eek:

At least it can be done on beginner, trying to 3 star every world on expert would not have been fun.

Not a fan of how grindy the shop unlocks are to begin with.

Top Bottom