• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World: New Trailer

Zalman

I'll take an ambitious experiment that has a chance of failure (like SMS) over an uninspired sequel that has to plaster a fucking Cat Mario all over the boxart just to make clear that it actually is a new game on new hardware.
I'd rather a polished game full of creativity where you are always experiencing new things rather than a repetitive, boring game like Sunshine.
Two completely different opinions, yet both of you are completely wrong.

Gsnap

You guys are ridiculous. Especially the idea that the cat suit is on the box art to prove it's a new game. I guess that's why Fire Mario was on the cover of Super Mario Bros, or why the Wing cap was on the cover of Mario 64.

You're running out of decent arguments, and you didn't have very many to begin with.

Kangi

"Guise guise they put one of the new mechanics in the game on the boxart just like half of all video games in existence. OMG THOSE TALENTLESS HACKS"

Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, etc. May I go on? So many Mario games make the newest powerup a central theme of its artwork. What on earth are you babbling about?

jwhit28

Even the doubling up of the characters on the boxart makes sense now.

175px-Cherry_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

balohna

Actually, NO, they don't need to put a thing down there. They're a very popular series, with more potential for growth. NeoGAF's naysayers are extremely unaware of are the following points; I will address them here.

Many on here are extremely ignorant of their 'Evergreen' approach, which was more since the 7th Generation. That is to say that these games aren't titles which everybody typically buys on Day One, although some will - They are rather games that will continue to sell for the duration of the console's life cycle and beyond (thanks to backwards compatibility and digital distribution), and will most probably be on the 'must play lists' for those who bite on their games consoles. I am not saying that they will reach the same heights. I am rather suggesting that it is better to wait until the 9th Generation consoles release before writing anything off - To do so at this point is extreme folly and abysmal form. It's also rather bizarre, preposterous and dumb.

NSMB2 is actually a faster-selling entry than the record-breaking DS game. In 2008, two years after its release, NSMB on the DS had sold 5 million copies Worldwide. In 2009, it had sold 18 million; that's a further 13 million copies, and without a price reduction - I think you can agree that this is a beastly level of growth for ANY game in its third year. Every development and publishing house in this industry would give limbs for that, and more. Since 2009, it has sold over 12 million more copies, and in March 2013, we learned that it had eclipsed the 30 million mark. That game has been out for over seven years. I would put it to you again that every publisher in the games industry would give their limbs and the entire kitchen, not just the sink to have games perform as well as that from their fourth year onwards. Now, consider that NSMB2 has been out on the 3DS for just over a year, and launched on a system with a higher user base than the Wii U has currently. Consider that NSMBU hasn't even been out for one year, that it launched about three months after NSMB2, and is the only entry which was a launch title. Now imagine what is possible for both by March 2019.

Furthermore, 6.42 million was as of March 2013, and eight months after its launch. We know that since then, the 3DS replaced the X360 as the best selling console in North America, and the game still sells now. Not so unthinkable, then, that when the 2DS launches, and as more people buy a 2DS or 3DS, or when both hit that £99 point of entry, more people might want to play that game once they've bitten. For the third time, I would put it to you that every developer and publishing house would LOVE to be in a position where their games can provide plenty of bread and butter over long and often challenging stretches.

Simply put, what these games accomplish on a single platform is nothing short of outstanding - NSMB is bigger than COD and GTA in those respects, and that's why I laugh hard in the faces of those who spew the Doom Narrative. It isn't about one week's worth of sales for Nintendo. It's about the long haul. 6.42 million without an official price reduction is still a hell of a lot more than what plenty of games ever accomplished across the PS360 consoles combined, breaking even at lower number barriers and achieving more than enough to justify new entries.

Oh, and NSMBU is a lot closer to Super Mario World than SMB3. On a personal note, I would hope for more in the way of Switch Palaces and secret exits, levels and stages. I would also hope that future handheld versions have the Koopalings, or more bosses such as Mouser, Tryclyde and the Reznors. If the trailers are anything to go by, Super Mario 3D World appears to be delivering heavily in this area.

Now, to address the art style - I don't understand why these games are beaten with this stick on the Internet, and feel that this is very much undeserved. As far as I've noted, very few say this about Super Mario All-Stars, which, to my mind, is a very similar case. I don't disagree that a new art direction would be welcome, but these games are primarily a throwback to the originals, and above all... they're STILL lots of fun to play!! They're also more about the level designs, which are, for me, some of the tightest in the 2D series, especially in NSMBU. Each of the NSMB games plays differently, too, but it appears that few can actually look beyond the art style to think about that, and I feel that this is unfortunate. Let us hope that Super Mario 3D World's showcase will provide even greater platforms for more ideas to be realised in future NSMB entries.

Props to this post. I had no idea NSMB had such legs. If you have one on each platform, Mario is a big enough name that the attach rate will be fairly high. Even if someone doesn't buy the console until a few years after it comes out.

Hopefully the NSMB2 sales figure isn't lost on Nintendo. They need to put that franchise down. If they make anymore 2D Mario's I hope they do something different with it.

I see two contradictory statements here.

If anything, the sales figures suggest that they actually need to put effort in 2D Mario games now that "retro revival" isn't a selling point by itself.

Moxx19

Banned
Looking forward to playing this on my Wii U Pro Controller that arrived this morning. Feels so much easier to use than the gamepad.

Not only is SM3DW an insult to the devs of SM64, but it's also a giant, awful cg mario middle finger to every Japanese person, living or dead. The country survived and strived on its constant innovation and outside the box thinking. With this monstrosity of a game, Nintendo is basically preaching mediocrity and conformity.

Hahaha, I was getting the appropriate Anticitizen Eins feels from this post. Nicely done.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Not only is SM3DW an insult to the devs of SM64, but it's also a giant, awful cg mario middle finger to every Japanese person, living or dead. The country survived and strived on its constant innovation and outside the box thinking. With this monstrosity of a game, Nintendo is basically preaching mediocrity and conformity.
/tips hat

ThaGuy

It's great that the Wiimote + Nunchuck will be supported, but everyone does realize that you'll have to hold the B trigger to run, right? It won't be like Mario Galaxy. I'll stick with the Game Pad or Pro Controller for this reason alone.

As long as a run button is also mapped to a button on the nunchuck preferably the Z button, I'll be good.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Haha. They are. I didn't notice it before. The bushes are dancing to the beat. I love the little touches like that in modern Mario games. Especially in Luigi U when a Koopa stops to do a little jive and I bop him on the head.

And this is the reason I am on Team Nintendo this generation. (And was for the second half of last generation)

Camjo-Z

It's week-old footage but I just watched that IGN video of Bowser's Highway and... wow. They took the already pretty awesome castle music from 3D Land and made it sound like something you'd hear in Galaxy! Plus that updated "course clear" song sounds great too. I hope the rest of the music in the game rivals this quality.

Gonna buy a Wii U with this and Wind Waker.

Never played a Zelda game before, but that artstyle is lovely .

What!?! You've never played a Zelda game? You're in for a treat with game!! It's a great one to get you going. Zelda is my ALL time favorite franchise. If WiiU only had one game available and it was Zelda, I would get it. (I do have a WiiU BTW and am enjoying plenty other games as well)

Gonna buy a Wii U with this and Wind Waker.

Never played a Zelda game before, but that artstyle is lovely .

What!?! You've never played a Zelda game? You're in for a treat with game!! It's a great one to get you going. Zelda is my ALL time favorite franchise. If WiiU only had one game available and it was Zelda, I would get it. (I do have a WiiU BTW and am enjoying plenty other games as well)

Tuck

Actually, NO, they don't need to put a thing down there. They're a very popular series, with more potential for growth. NeoGAF's naysayers are extremely unaware of are the following points; I will address them here.

Many on here are extremely ignorant of their 'Evergreen' approach, which was more since the 7th Generation. That is to say that these games aren't titles which everybody typically buys on Day One, although some will - They are rather games that will continue to sell for the duration of the console's life cycle and beyond (thanks to backwards compatibility and digital distribution), and will most probably be on the 'must play lists' for those who bite on their games consoles. I am not saying that they will reach the same heights. I am rather suggesting that it is better to wait until the 9th Generation consoles release before writing anything off - To do so at this point is extreme folly and abysmal form. It's also rather bizarre, preposterous and dumb.

NSMB2 is actually a faster-selling entry than the record-breaking DS game. In 2008, two years after its release, NSMB on the DS had sold 5 million copies Worldwide. In 2009, it had sold 18 million; that's a further 13 million copies, and without a price reduction - I think you can agree that this is a beastly level of growth for ANY game in its third year. Every development and publishing house in this industry would give limbs for that, and more. Since 2009, it has sold over 12 million more copies, and in March 2013, we learned that it had eclipsed the 30 million mark. That game has been out for over seven years. I would put it to you again that every publisher in the games industry would give their limbs and the entire kitchen, not just the sink to have games perform as well as that from their fourth year onwards. Now, consider that NSMB2 has been out on the 3DS for just over a year, and launched on a system with a higher user base than the Wii U has currently. Consider that NSMBU hasn't even been out for one year, that it launched about three months after NSMB2, and is the only entry which was a launch title. Now imagine what is possible for both by March 2019.

Furthermore, 6.42 million was as of March 2013, and eight months after its launch. We know that since then, the 3DS replaced the X360 as the best selling console in North America, and the game still sells now. Not so unthinkable, then, that when the 2DS launches, and as more people buy a 2DS or 3DS, or when both hit that £99 point of entry, more people might want to play that game once they've bitten. For the third time, I would put it to you that every developer and publishing house would LOVE to be in a position where their games can provide plenty of bread and butter over long and often challenging stretches.

Simply put, what these games accomplish on a single platform is nothing short of outstanding - NSMB is bigger than COD and GTA in those respects, and that's why I laugh hard in the faces of those who spew the Doom Narrative. It isn't about one week's worth of sales for Nintendo. It's about the long haul. 6.42 million without an official price reduction is still a hell of a lot more than what plenty of games ever accomplished across the PS360 consoles combined, breaking even at lower number barriers and achieving more than enough to justify new entries.

Oh, and NSMBU is a lot closer to Super Mario World than SMB3. On a personal note, I would hope for more in the way of Switch Palaces and secret exits, levels and stages. I would also hope that future handheld versions have the Koopalings, or more bosses such as Mouser, Tryclyde and the Reznors. If the trailers are anything to go by, Super Mario 3D World appears to be delivering heavily in this area.

Now, to address the art style - I don't understand why these games are beaten with this stick on the Internet, and feel that this is very much undeserved. As far as I've noted, very few say this about Super Mario All-Stars, which, to my mind, is a very similar case. I don't disagree that a new art direction would be welcome, but these games are primarily a throwback to the originals, and above all... they're STILL lots of fun to play!! They're also more about the level designs, which are, for me, some of the tightest in the 2D series, especially in NSMBU. Each of the NSMB games plays differently, too, but it appears that few can actually look beyond the art style to think about that, and I feel that this is unfortunate. Let us hope that Super Mario 3D World's showcase will provide even greater platforms for more ideas to be realised in future NSMB entries.
How dare you try to use logic and reasoning to defend the NSMB series.

Great post. I'm not sure if NSMB U or NSMB 2 will reach the heights of their predecessors but I think they'll do alright long term.

Decado

Hopefully the NSMB2 sales figure isn't lost on Nintendo. They need to put that franchise down. If they make anymore 2D Mario's I hope they do something different with it. At least a different artstyle and world structure. Less Super Mario Bros. 3 and more Super Mario World.

Wouldn't they be relatively cheap to make (compared to the 3D games)?

I take it this game isn't getting the Galaxy treatment as far as the soundtrack is concerned? Would fit in with the low budget vibe given off with first party games so far.

I'll take an ambitious experiment that has a chance of failure (like SMS) over an uninspired sequel that has to plaster a fucking Cat Mario all over the boxart just to make clear that it actually is a new game on new hardware.

Guy, you know it's time to rethink your entire life philosophy vis-a-vis games if you're stooping to the point that you're listing Super Mario Sunshine of all fucking Nintendo games as an "amibitious experiment."

Guy, you know it's time to rethink your entire life philosophy vis-a-vis games if you're stooping to the point that you're listing Super Mario Sunshine of all fucking Nintendo games as an "amibitious experiment."

He makes a valid point. Mario Sunshine was not amazing, but it took a risk.The new game looks like great fun and polished, but it's definitely Nintendo playing it safe.

He makes a valid point. Mario Sunshine was not amazing, but it took a risk.The new game looks like great fun and polished, but it's definitely Nintendo playing it safe.

I'll take "safe" and variety over what Sunshine provided (and I like Sunshine).

I'd say Sunshine played it safe by having the levels be too freaking similar.

I disagree. Mario Sunshine was a by-the-numbers facelift to Mario 64 throwing in a waterpack and un-rideable Yoshi. It was also by far the most unpolished Mario game, 2D or 3D, ever. Hell, Sunshine is the reason why I never even opened SMG or SMG2 from their boxes and probably won't get 3D World. It was that disappointing.

What was the risk in Sunshine? If you are referring to FLUDD, that was just a crutch for people who couldn't adapt to jumping in 3D, if it is a change in setting that was the risk, it is hardly the first Mario game to do that either. Add that to SM3DW containing 4-player & it is hard to see how it is less of a risk.

I disagree. Mario Sunshine was a by-the-numbers facelift to Mario 64 throwing in a waterpack and un-rideable Yoshi. It was also by far the most unpolished Mario game, 2D or 3D, ever. Hell, Sunshine is the reason why I never even opened SMG or SMG2 from their boxes and probably won't get 3D World. It was that disappointing.

I had the same feelings as you about Sunshine and think the Galaxy games are the best since Ocarina of Time. Please play them.

Your opinion is invalid if you judge games based solely on their predecessors. Yoshi was rideable and like all Mario games, Sunshine had some pretty memorable segments. I loved 3D Land, and I'll get 3D World, I was just making an argument towards design risks. Also, play the Galaxy games. They're amazing!

What was the risk in Sunshine? If you are referring to FLUDD, that was just a crutch for people who couldn't adapt to jumping in 3D, if it is a change in setting that was the risk, it is hardly the first Mario game to do that either. Add that to SM3DW containing 4-player & it is hard to see how it is less of a risk.

I wouldn't call it a crutch. Granted it helps, but the levels are built around the thing; it's not like it breaks the game. It allowed for a lot of freedom and cool platforming too. The game's problems were the lack of variety, broken swimming, less than perfect camera (though one can get used to it over time), and that underwhelming final level/ battle; it also needed better and cooler bosses overall.

I think Sunshine is a good game. One that is a bit harder to get into, but that is rewarding and fun once you get the hang of it. But fuck the blue coins!

Big mistake. Specially for SMG2. Play them, they're nothing like Sunshine.

Lijik

Adding a hover move and a some kind of a gun to a platformer is not risky, especially not in 2002 when every platformer was adding a hover move and some kind of a gun.

boon

Core mechanics from previous entry left in-tact and expanded upon, while also introducing new gameplay. Sounds like a promising sequel to a great game! (you should play Galaxy)

After 3D Land, World is my most anticipated game this year.

I wouldn't call it a crutch. Granted it helps, but the levels are built around the thing; it's not like it breaks the game. It allowed for a lot of freedom and cool platforming too. The game's problems were the lack of variety, broken swimming, less than perfect camera (though one can get used to it over time), and that underwhelming final level/ battle; it also needed better and cooler bosses overall.

I think Sunshine is a good game. One that is a bit harder to get into, but that is rewarding and fun once you get the hang of it. But fuck the blue coins!

I'm pretty sure it was intended as a crutch(in the same way the Racoon tail was in SMB3), & I never said Sunshine was a bad game
just a bad Mario game.
I was more arguing that it wasn't very risky & when you add that to the issues that being made for the GC meant it was hugely disappointing at the time.

I'm pretty sure it was intended as a crutch(in the same way the Racoon tail was in SMB3), & I never said Sunshine was a bad game
just a bad Mario game.
I was more arguing that it wasn't very risky & when you add that to the issues that being made for the GC meant it was hugely disappointing at the time.

And yet it is one of the more challenging Mario games (minus a couple out there).

Don't mean because of stages like the freaking watermelons one, that one is fucking broken. :p

BlackJace

That has to be the worst reasoning for avoiding games I've ever heard.

Christopher

Adding a hover move and a some kind of a gun to a platformer is not risky, especially not in 2002 when every platformer was adding a hover move and some kind of a gun.

It was risky for a Mario game stop trying to sound smart/snarky it was very different especially for the underperforming GameCube

Triton55

What the fuck.
You bought them but haven't opened them?
You're aware that the Galaxy games are literally the highest rated games of all time, right?

Also, you can ride Yoshi in SMS.

Top Bottom