• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 demo available!

Absolutely awesome work. Seeing that trailer makes me want custom Zelda dungeons even more. People are working on small mods right now, but I just can't wait!

Anyway, this looks really fun. I'm going to download the demo.

Xav

As a fan project it's pretty cool but it's no where near as good as the real thing. Everyone just got a little excited because they saw some levels from Sunshine & 64 remade in a Galaxy style. Whilst big and empty those areas did make me start to day dream of what a Wii U Super Mario Galaxy 3 could be like.

As a fan project it's pretty cool but it's no where near as good as the real thing. Everyone just got a little excited because they saw some levels from Sunshine & 64 remade in a Galaxy style. Whilst big and empty those areas did make me start to day dream of what a Wii U Super Mario Galaxy 3 could be like.

I dunno, I'll take big land masses over little rocks in space any day.

dmr87

Awesome stuff!

Imagine a world where Nintendo announced a new Galaxy for the WiiU at E3. Just hearing the music gets me hyped.

Codeblue

Bob-omb Battlefield and that one Bowser level looked nice, but the others seemed way too big and empty, or not that special looking.

Sorry to be the party pooper, I guess.

I think how you view it probably comes down to which side of the fence you fall on regarding the Mario 64 vs. Galaxy level design argument.

Sigh... I dislike how these hacks require Riivolution, especially since my Wii disk drive stopped working recently...

Pretty awesome, though. I look forward to trying it at some other point. I miss the more open world Mario 64.

pkScary

I really hope Nintendo doesn't put a stop to this. I love that these people are able to express their love for Mario by expanding on SMG2.

Crayons

Banned
Sigh... I dislike how these hacks require Riivolution, especially since my Wii disk drive stopped working recently...

Pretty awesome, though. I look forward to trying it at some other point. I miss the more open world Mario 64.

Well you COULD edit a wii backup to replace the levels with these (I think?) but either way you should get a new disk drive.

Gilby

Wow, that's so cool. This is exactly what I wanted after seeing Another Super Mario Bros Wii. Looks pretty good to, for the stage of progress they seem to be at.

I just looked this up, and realized something:

Nintendo would be crazy/stupid not to include a level-making mode in NSMBWiiU, especially considering the touchscreen interface possibilities.

Skyzard

Banned
What do the tools look like? How on earth did they make a working map editor?!!?

^

*makes an (exciting) note to take wii out of storage*

I just looked this up, and realized something:

Nintendo would be crazy/stupid not to include a level-making mode in NSMBWiiU, especially considering the touchscreen interface possibilities.

That would make selling NSMB2 a bit harder though...but if LBP2 can do it, shouldn't be an issue! Would be such good fan service...currently loving the editor in sound shapes...adds so much replayability to the game, some of these user gen levels are so damn good too. Things like this would make me more likely to pick up wiiu.

entremet

Why doesn't Nintendo make a make your own levels Mario game, a la LBP? Game would be crazy, especially with the tight Mario platforming not that floaty garbage from LBP.

dekline

wait wait wait...Bob-omb battlefield!?!?

ikMSxUO3TcC6a.gif

rjc571

Banned
So, uh, how do you play the demo? I put the files on my SD card, ran Riivolution, waited for the thing to come up, selected install, enable, launch. The title screen says Super Mario Galaxy 2.5, but when I started a new game it's still regular SMG2?

Well you COULD edit a wii backup to replace the levels with these (I think?) but either way you should get a new disk drive.

These hacks often have assembly hacks in patch form which are difficult to edit into the backed up game for whatever reason. Newer SMB Wii for instance discourages you from editing the backup, since it'll result in messed up backgrounds or something due to no ASM hacks.

(That said, you're right, and I'm going to end up getting a new (used) Wii anyway because even though all of my Wii games are on hard drive, I really miss my Gamecube games. :( )

Saw Bob-omb Battlefield, that's orgasm material right there. Now I want to know when this bad boy will be finished.

i have a bad feeling about that level though. what good is it if galaxy 2 didnt have what's needed for the talking bobombs, canons, wing-cap, chain chomp, shell surfing, etc. its going to be quite barren.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Looks more like Super Mario 64.5, but made with the Galaxy engine. There didn't seem to be any levels to took advantage of gravity. They all seemed to be flat. I guess I just like Galaxy's level design better. I want more spherical worlds dammit.

Nitpicking aside, it's still fucking impressive.

Wow, that's so cool. This is exactly what I wanted after seeing Another Super Mario Bros Wii. Looks pretty good to, for the stage of progress they seem to be at.

Just checked it out. Now that's something I can get behind.

My body was not ready.

I'm impressed. Nintendo need to hire these people. Come on, let them work on Mario U :)
Would rather see Nintendo open up to the user-created content world. They've discussed doing free DLC that extends and complements the game experience... well, how about user-created DLC?

Hiltz

Looks more like Super Mario 64.5, but made with the Galaxy engine. There didn't seem to be any levels to took advantage of gravity. They all seemed to be flat. I guess I just like Galaxy's level design better. I want more spherical worlds dammit.

Nitpicking aside, it's still fucking impressive.

Just checked it out. Now that's something I can get behind.

It is what it is. Besides, Wii owners are starving for games so we'll take what we can get, especialy when it is free!

tauroxd

Awesome... After finishing Xenoblade and The last story I'm going to mod the shit out of my Wii to play this and the Brawl Mod.

Lijik

Some of that trailer looked really cool (Bob-omb Battlefield Holy Shit), but Planet Plains looks outrageously bad. I dont even need constant platforming like Galaxy provides, just give me something interesting to traverse and explore instead of this bootleg C-tier Ty the Tasmanian Tiger level design.

MegalonJJ

Banned
i have a bad feeling about that level though. what good is it if galaxy 2 didnt have what's needed for the talking bobombs, canons, wing-cap, chain chomp, shell surfing, etc. its going to be quite barren.

Regarding the wing-cap, it's a shame the flying cap powerup from Galaxy 1 wasn't further expanded on in Galaxy 2. (It looked so good too with the black overalls, very Fantasia-esque Disney).

I must be doing it wrong. I copied over the files, the game boots up through Riivolution with the "2.5" startup screen, but everything else seems like regular SMG2. Is there a troubleshooting guide or something? Should I be downloading files other than the demo zip?

GimMick

Some of that trailer looked really cool (Bob-omb Battlefield Holy Shit), but Planet Plains looks outrageously bad. I dont even need constant platforming like Galaxy provides, just give me something interesting to traverse and explore instead of this bootleg C-tier Ty the Tasmanian Tiger level design.
You expected fans to match the prowess of some of the best developers in the world, though ?
Besides it's only a demo in its current state, and they're still hiring level designers and such to improve and make new levels.

If you have some neat ideas, you could go ahead and try to help them !
The hack won't reach the quality of SMG1/2 of course, but some great fun could still be had with the final product !

Top Bottom