• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 demo available!

the Bowser level looks like the only one worth mentioning. others look big and empty. probably would have been better off just remaking 64/Sunshine levels.

PK Gaming

Holy shit.

I kept tabs on Super Mario Galaxy 2.5, but when it died down I thought it was dead for good.

I am so going to play the hell out of this.

ibgaBXkw2a95eA.gif

You tell'im, Curry.

Oh wow I could probably remove the part that says 2.5 and slap the 2 logo on there and no one who's not played SMG2 would know the difference.

Lijik

You expected fans to match the prowess of some of the best developers in the world, though ?

No I expect a minimal attempt at design.

Even something as simple as water or hazards underneath the bridge (which looks like it was slapped there at the last minute), or having the bridge connect two of the big hills and having a spiral path up one of them would go a long way. Outside of the blocks theres nothing going on, which i hope isnt the direction they intend for the full project since empty space is bland and not fun.

Like I said I dont even expect constant platforming, if you look at Banjo Kazooie its platforming is all simplistic but the worlds are still fun to explore because the terrain is interesting. In the first world alone you're constantly going up and down slopes, theres platforms you have to slide down the mountainside to reach, a little river, an area off to the side with trees, like stuff is going on. The custom levels they've shown so far all look generally flat with samey terrain

I havent messed with the demo yet, but it looks like its only that Planet Plains level. It just seems like releasing Bob-omb Battlefield would make for something thats more exciting to play while they worked on getting the attention of more people to help with original level design.

Tenck

Oh wow I could probably remove the part that says 2.5 and slap the 2 logo on there and no one who's not played SMG2 would know the difference.

Empty worlds would certainly make some people wonder.

The camera needs a bit reworking too. I'd like to be able to have it at a different height.

watershed

Banned
The video looks great. It makes me wish Nintendo would release a 3d or 2d mario with a level editor like Mario vs. DK: March of the Minis had. Would be amazing to create and share custom levels. For the Wii U, Nintendo should totally do this. Its perfect for the game pad.

Emitan

Shows how incompetent Nintendo was at designing consoles at the time. People can create entirely new games as DLC while Nintendo can't.

Looks pretty neat, I'll download it when it's finished.

Oh god they remade one of the best Mario levels ever. And seeing it makes me a little sad that we haven't gotten a new Mario game like that.

No I expect a minimal attempt at design.

Even something as simple as water or hazards underneath the bridge (which looks like it was slapped there at the last minute), or having the bridge connect two of the big hills and having a spiral path up one of them would go a long way. Outside of the blocks theres nothing going on, which i hope isnt the direction they intend for the full project since empty space is bland and not fun.

Like I said I dont even expect constant platforming, if you look at Banjo Kazooie its platforming is all simplistic but the worlds are still fun to explore because the terrain is interesting. In the first world alone you're constantly going up and down slopes, theres platforms you have to slide down the mountainside to reach, a little river, an area off to the side with trees, like stuff is going on. The custom levels they've shown so far all look generally flat with samey terrain

I havent messed with the demo yet, but it looks like its only that Planet Plains level. It just seems like releasing Bob-omb Battlefield would make for something thats more exciting to play while they worked on getting the attention of more people to help with original level design.

Like it's been said, this is just a demo to show what they are trying to do. They state at the end of the video they need level designers, so I'm sure that they know it can be better.

It would be awesome if these guys could make some Banjo Kazooie levels.
BK's platforming is pretty minimal though and BT is flat-out an adventure game, so they might run into the same 'barren' issue they're having with Planet Plains.

That said this hack looks amazing. Hope they release those remixes too.

Rich!

Like it's been said, this is just a demo to show what they are trying to do. They state at the end of the video they need level designers, so I'm sure that they know it can be better.

Also, its more of a proof of concept than anything. The first SMB1 level editor was shit, bit the documentation led us to better software. SMB3 improvement and the first few rom hacks were unbelievably shoddy - but now we have Dharkdaiz's unbelivable editor (Ruben) which allows possibilities in the game which not even Nintendo could have achieved. His current hack, Mario Adventure 3, looks brilliant.

So yeah. Even if this hack isn't up to scratch, it opens possibilities for the next. The thing is, there's a huge amount of genuinely superb SMW hacks due to the relatively simple structure (2D), and amazing editor (lunar magic). SMG2 is totally not the same, so we shouldn't expect the same as of yet.

rjc571

Banned
I must be doing it wrong. I copied over the files, the game boots up through Riivolution with the "2.5" startup screen, but everything else seems like regular SMG2. Is there a troubleshooting guide or something? Should I be downloading files other than the demo zip?

No you did it right, you have to load your game and go to the world map, then go to the first level in World 1. It would have been nice if they had actually explained this somewhere...

Anyway, this is really cool. I've never bothered with Riivolution before now, are there any hacks for other games worth mentioning besides the ones for Brawl and Mario Kart Wii?

SOLDIER

How many of these 2.5/Expansion Pack Levels exist currently? I recall someone was working on a NSMB Wii something or other. Did that ever come out?

Rich!

How many of these 2.5/Expansion Pack Levels exist currently? I recall someone was working on a NSMB Wii something or other. Did that ever come out?

Yep, quite a few came out for nsmb Wii. I remember there being a section for the game in the SMWCentral forums. Have a look.

jman2050

The game looks little more than a proof-of-concept at this point, but that's fine. Most of the best rom hacks you may have heard of only came out after years of horrible terrible attempts at hacks made when people didn't know what they were doing.

Heck, it took YEARS for people to start making SMW hacks better than Demo World after LM came out, and that itself, while a quality game in its own right, was intended as nothing more than a demonstration (hence the name)

Hopefully this project will eventually lead to bigger and better things.

Rich!

The game looks little more than a proof-of-concept at this point, but that's fine. Most of the best rom hacks you may have heard of only came out after years of horrible terrible attempts at hacks made when people didn't know what they were doing.

Heck, it took YEARS for people to start making SMW hacks better than Demo World after LM came out, and that itself, while a quality game in its own right, was intended as nothing more than a demonstration (hence the name)

Hopefully this project will eventually lead to bigger and better things.

You have to also bear in mind that fusoya released Demo World two years after the first lunar magic release. It wasn't a demo to show off level design as such, but to showcase the new map16 functions (BG image importing) and custom blocks, using blocktool and ASM.

What Demo World showed was the sheer amount of possibilities present in SMW. The scene exploded since then. Some of the hacks on SMW Central are mindblowing, and there's a tonne of brilliant completed hacks too with new graphics, new music, new powerups...essentially, SMW is now used as a base engine for original Mario games in terms of hacking. That's how good its got.

Ionic

You have to also bear in mind that fusoya released Demo World two years after the first lunar magic release. It wasn't a demo to show off level design as such, but to showcase the new map16 functions (BG image importing) and custom blocks, using blocktool and ASM.

What Demo World showed was the sheer amount of possibilities present in SMW. The scene exploded since then. Some of the hacks on SMW Central are mindblowing, and there's a tonne of brilliant completed hacks too with new graphics, new music, new powerups...essentially, SMW is now used as a base engine for original Mario games in terms of hacking. That's how good its got.

Some of the SMW hacks are incredibly good. If people here haven't looked at any of them it's definitely a good idea. This hack looks amazing too, but it's crazy thinking how far Galaxy hacking already is. I feel like Mario 64 hacking barely got on its feet and we're already here.

Not particularly impressed so far. Some of it looked somewhat decent, but it feels like it's going We're trying to be Mario 64, and we're failing it.

I think this actually made me realize that the small compacted worlds for the game actually means more to SM64 than before considering all the neat things that could be done in the game.

Is there not a way to patch the ripped iso? If not, there really should be.

Even if there was I wouldn't know how to do it. I'm really new to wii modding. I've had my wii homebrewed for a long time, but I haven't done much with it.

I'm trying to read up on how to patch and whatnot, but there is just so much stuff out there it's hard to keep everything straight.

Metal-Geo

I take it they weren't able to play with the gravity? You know, the gimmick that made Mario Galaxy. :p

It's always interesting to see how far fan hacks can go. Those Sunshine levels are also nothing short of amazing.

Foffy

Banned
Man..this has me wondering; what other Mario hacks can be considered "expansions" to a main game? I think most of the hacks I've seen clearly enter the realm of fangame, but this, if you didn't know this was a hack, looks like a Nintendo product..

I'm sure something like that happens to exists with NSMB and NSMBWii, but I don't know the details on those. I know I've seen hacks on Youtube with new levels and stuff.

^ Hah, never played Mario 64.
That level isn't actually going to be made better by trying to recreating it in the SMG engine though, is it? It'll be much, much worse than just playing SM64.
It's like whenever someone recreated SMB 1-1 in any game with a level editor. Fun idea, always plays terrible. The custom levels they show also don't inspire much confidence in the level design skills of whoever is making this.

Foffy

Banned
I'm intrigued by what I'm seeing, but I just can't justify playing an unsanctioned product.

Doesn't it simply require the retail disc plus some homebrew files it accesses when booting the game? What's wrong with that? It's essentially a mod. You wouldn't do fan-created content if this were a PC game?

Top Bottom