• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 demo available!

Kenka

This is the most amazing Nintendo-related fan-made stuff since Psyco3ler in 2004.

No, it's even better. That guy really nailed it. How come he could do that ?

elektrixx

Banned
Doesn't it simply require the retail disc plus some homebrew files it accesses when booting the game? What's wrong with that? It's essentially a mod. You wouldn't do fan-created content if this were a PC game?

No. I feel like I'm wasting my time if I finish a Mario game that (officially) doesn't exist.

You're missing out on a lot of amazing mods for console and pc games then.

Maybe, but if you're playing these mods I'd say you're not playing an actual game.

Things like zDoom and graphics mods I'm fine it; it's just stuff like this Mario thing that I won't do.

Rich!

Maybe, but if you're playing these mods I'd say you're not playing an actual game.

What. Seriously, what?!

So, are you saying that Mario Adventure, a full mod of SMB3, with entirely new graphics, music, levels, maps, powerups is NOT an actual game?

How about counter strike? Not a real game?

my definition of "game" must be wrong by some significant margin then.

Vibed

Man..this has me wondering; what other Mario hacks can be considered "expansions" to a main game? I think most of the hacks I've seen clearly enter the realm of fangame, but this, if you didn't know this was a hack, looks like a Nintendo product..

I'm sure something like that happens to exists with NSMB and NSMBWii, but I don't know the details on those. I know I've seen hacks on Youtube with new levels and stuff.

Another Super Mario Bros. Wii and the yet to be released Newer could be released retail and you couldn't tell the difference.

Also, I really liked SM64: Star Road, was pretty well-designed overall. I love it when fan games use the full extent of a physics engine like this one does without going into the "cheap" territory. For example, I never knew the last jump in a triple jump could be used on slopes that you would normally slide down.

Myriadis

The custom levels are mostly quite empty. I know how it is - I modelled my own levels for Super Mario 64 without any prior knowledge to 3D level design. You might think at first that it looks great enough, but after creating some other levels, gaining experience and going back, it looks just horrible. A level looks much better if there's also much going on vertically. Adding cliffs, holes, slopes and all that stuff.

I think that these levels will be redone and improved, right know they look as empty as Starshine beach galaxy from SMG2. And mods after that will improve and avoid the mistakes that were in former mods. See the SMW mods, they got better and better.

Also, I really liked SM64: Star Road, was pretty well-designed overall. I love it when fan games use the full extent of a physics engine like this one does without going into the "cheap" territory. For example, I never knew the last jump in a triple jump could be used on slopes that you would normally slide down.
Star Road really is a great mod, especially since it doesn't resort to cheap "fake difficulty" stuff other mods like to put in. Mostly, at least. Finding the vanish cap level is really hard and a few platforms are quite small. Otherwise, it shows well how far we got with SM64 hacking, compared to the earliest days.

elektrixx

Banned
Does a game need to come from a large publisher to be a game or something? Some people made an interactive piece of software but I guess it isn't REAL

It doesn't matter how large the publisher is, what matters is who the publisher is. This thing isn't developed by Nintendo, this isn't published by Nintendo, this isn't even approved by Nintendo at all, therefore Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 is not real Mario product.

I'm not gonna start adding fake games to my backlog.

Zeliard

It doesn't matter how large the publisher is, what matters is who the publisher is. This thing isn't developed by Nintendo, this isn't published by Nintendo, this isn't approved by Nintendo at all, therefore Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 is not real Mario product.

Even by Internet standards, this is one of the strangest opinions I've seen.

It doesn't matter how large the publisher is, what matters is who the publisher is. This thing isn't developed by Nintendo, this isn't published by Nintendo, this isn't even approved by Nintendo at all, therefore Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 is not real Mario product.

You're right that it's not a Mario product. Product, as in for sell. That does not mean it isn't a game.

Fake games? I don't even.

Rich!

...this is absolutely bizarre.

"fake games"? Oh man. So say if I made a fuck awesome remix of a bands hit song, you'd dismiss it as a fake? Same logic.

SparkTR

There's a difference between an unsanctioned Mario product and a fake game. This is a game, it has level design, it has rules, it has content, it has win states and lose states. If you enjoyed SMG1/2 you'll probably enjoy this. It's alright if you're pedantic and don't want to play it, but someone spent time and energy developing this and you're here dismissing it as "not an actual game".

The fact that this is possible at all warrants the reactions imo.
Any version of the retail disc will do, right? I believe NSMBW hacks required a specific print of the PAL version or something like that.

There's a difference between an unsanctioned Mario product and a fake game. This is a game, it has level design, it has rules, it has content, it has win states and lose states. If you enjoyed SMG1/2 you'll probably enjoy this. It's alright if you're pedantic and don't want to play it, but someone spent time and energy developing this and you're here dismissing it as "not an actual game".

Agreed, that's a dickish thing to say.

what matters is who the publisher is.

No it doesn't. If the game is fun, I don't even give a fuck if Satan of Adolf Hitler published it.

daakusedo

So that demo is not good, between the camera, inexplicable easy jump becoming hard like the one to get to yoshi, just going to the bridge when you'll get stuck if you don't jump while the floor being flat or just returning to the first platform to finish the level. Lack of coherence in the chase for the red coins plus the playground level when Mario appear slower than in the original tight levels, it could give a better first impression.

The two hammer bros blocking you in the middle of tiny platforms was cool also the setup with yoshi flowers to climb to get one red coin but harder than all the other coins to get hence the lack of consistency.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait, is this a fan-made game? How come it didn't get C&D by Nintendo yet?

Nintendo is surprisingly good about fan-made games as long as they're not for-profit. I'm trying to think of an example of them shutting one down actually. The Zelda Classic project has been around for over a decade and that used to be very popular at one point.

Shion

They should have stuck to remaking SM64, because that one remix level looked pretty fun!
That would be amazing.

The thing, though, is that SM64 handles very differently from SMG, different mechanics, different physics etc. SM64 wouldn't feel right with the Galaxy engine.

That would be amazing.

The thing, though, is that SM64 handles very differently from SMG, different mechanics, different physics etc. SM64 wouldn't feel right with the Galaxy engine.

Throwback Galaxy felt alright! But yes, there's a very specific feel to both games- identical on the surface, worlds apart once you get on the level of shit like Siglemic's runs. It'd still be interesting to see, mind.

i might check this out if it's done but those fan mods are usually just terrible well atleast 99 out of 100 times.

and whoever thinks this will be as good or even better than SMG2 is just insane.

i might check this out if it's done but those fan mods are usually just terrible well atleast 99 out of 100 times.

and whoever thinks this will be as good or even better than SMG2 is just insane.

This one? Probably not. It might just pave the road for more awesomeness if SMW is any indication.

Kokonoe

Banned
That reminds me that I need to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 already. I can't say Super Mario Galaxy was amazing, it was a rather standard Mario game but with a gravity gimmick. With that said, I'd rate it about an 8/10, but it's my least liked 3D Mario to date so I'm hoping the sequel has more standard land platforming.

I'll also be playing this on Dolphin, so I suppose I'll try it out with a 360 controller and just toggle the shake to a button while using the right stick for targeting.

DigitalOp

Banned
Entitled Ass Gamers in here. Play what you like, but just know if you can play it, its software, and its a game... regardless where it came from

FFS.

Tuck

That looks pretty impressive. A few camera issues, but I guess it is just a demo. Wish I had a way of installing it.

Lets see if they actually finish it though.

Top Bottom