• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Simbabbad

Happy birthday, Super Mario Maker! OK gang, here's my new new thing: Invisi-Block Quarry!
I enjoyed it, but the level is about vine blocks rather than invisible blocks. All block locations are indicated, so the level could be played the exact same way with visible ? blocks, and it'd be better in some areas (including one with Buzzy Beetles).

Happy One Year Anniversary, Mario Maker:

Red Hot Koopa Clowning
The first half of the level is excellent, but then you can cheat in the flying part (you can dodge every enemy by flying low), and the boss battle is WAY too long and tedious. The really strong first part could be an independent level and would be better for it IMO.

In honor of the first anniversary of Super Mario Maker I refreshed an old stage of mine with some of the newer elements and tricks I learned as I created more stages. Check it here.
I'm a sucker for classic castle levels so I liked yours, but I think it maybe would feel better in another visual style. You use quite a variety of obstacles, and the way they're placed sort of looks wrong in a classic SMB setting, IMO. The final Bowser fight is also sort of unfair with a giant Bowser and the brick ceiling, if you have a mushroom powerup you just go through it.

Got the urge to brush off Mario Maker and made three cool courses... but my limit is still 20. I haven't gotten a coin since the last time I played. Are my courses bad or is the player base going down.

Sidenote, if I take down a course do I lose the coins?

So I found this while browsing through GreenManGaming, apparently it's getting released this week on September 16th.

27640235b4e05261aa9d3f1177ca8955.png

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/super-mario-maker/

These last two months, I used death data and my acquired experience to fine tune my levels, and this time I decided to entirely remake my Metroid level about Kraid.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BKraid.png

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F6CE-0000-0290-E118

I really enjoyed this. At first I didn't like that it's a little too easy to get lost but then I actually felt at home because getting lost is what Metroid is all about and the red coin hunt felt satisfying. The structure of the stage coupled with the basic grey SMB1 gray block visuals helps recreate the aesthetics of Brinstar in NES Metroid quite well. Spike Beetles work great as Geemers of course and Bowser seems to work well enough as a stand in for Kraid. Your Tourian level caught my eye, I will try that next when I have time.

The first half of the level is excellent, but then you can cheat in the flying part (you can dodge every enemy by flying low)

As I said to jholmes being able to duck under the enemies on that part was intentional because I originally thought about filling that section with more enemy clusters but decided to give the player a breather before they fight the boss. It was all to balance the stage from not leaning too far in both the puzzle and shooter related sides of difficulty. That said I might make a 2.0 version someday with extra enemies.

...and the boss battle is WAY too long and tedious.

It's a bullet hell boss battle and made for people who enjoy taking apart shmup bosses piece by piece. The room is structured so the player can gulp fireballs easily which they have been trained the entire level to do and they get endless extra hits from Yoshi. Bowser Jr. only takes about ten well placed fire balls to kill, that's a pittance compared to a boss from a real shmup not to mention what it takes to kill both the real Kraid from Metroid and your simulated giant Bowser "Kraid" both of which require a lot of tense jumps and a LOT more fire spamming.

The really strong first part could be an independent level and would be better for it IMO.

As I said in my reply to jholmes this level borrowed mechanics from a full fledged Yoshi autoscrolling made-for-shmup-fans stage I have been working on but am undecided if I will complete. If it's completed it will be much tougher than this and the way it's structured so far pulls no punches and offers no shortcuts to simply fly under enemies with ease, believe me. Anyways, thanks for your detailed feedback and for the star. I'm glad we were able to bury our hatchets a bit and enjoy a few of our stages together.

jholmes

This one's too good not to share: World ▲-1: Galvanization Plant! by µ мιснаеl

I've played a great, great many spin-jump-based level in my time, but this one's easily my favourite. It's one of the most demanding too, but it's also very, very fair. Well worth your time, GAF.

This one's too good not to share: World ▲-1: Galvanization Plant! by µ мιснаеl

I've played a great, great many spin-jump-based level in my time, but this one's easily my favourite. It's one of the most demanding too, but it's also very, very fair. Well worth your time, GAF.
I know him! He's a cool maker who leaves interesting abstract art as drawings on courses he plays! I recommend playing more of his levels!

Nerrel

So, I finally finished one of the stages I was working on, at time for the anniversary (bookmark):

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BPeach%2527s%2BEscape%2Bto%2BAnother%2BCastle.png

This is really fun. The pacing and enemy encounters are well done and it's a joy to play.

Wiggler Pond
First level in a really long time. Very rusty but I made an underwater level with chasing wigglers as the theme. Definitely struggled with this one but need to throw some ideas out just to try something.

807B-0000-0297-D8FD.jpg

[Level ID - 807B-0000-0297-D8FD]

This level does a good job of giving you enough hazards to avoid, but also leaving enough space so that it doesn't become frustrating. You don't see too many underwater levels, and I think you used the different underwater mobility to a good effect.

I played and starred a few others, hopefully I'll get time to do more later.

I got a hankering for making a new stage, sucks that the community is pretty dead. But here it is anyway:

Muchworks
pugqomg.jpg
F4kByhQ.jpg

7F88-0000-02A2-3363

Pipes and Munchers and Yoshi (who I've never actually used before).

I got a hankering for making a new stage, sucks that the community is pretty dead. But here it is anyway:

Muchworks
pugqomg.jpg
F4kByhQ.jpg

7F88-0000-02A2-3363

The community is pretty dead only here on GAF; it's still pretty lively on Miiverse...

jholmes

The community is pretty dead only here on GAF; it's still pretty lively on Miiverse...

I've got an idea for a stage that I'm planning to dust off. The reason I'm holding off is that it's a costume-based stage, and I'm hoping I might be able to help get the ball rolling here, start spending a little extra time on costume stages for October. (You know, Halloween and all that.)

Muchworks
pugqomg.jpg
F4kByhQ.jpg

7F88-0000-02A2-3363

Bookmarked and will play! Looks fun.

jholmes

Ladies and gentlemen, The Champ is Here!

Way back over a year ago, I put up a level called Peach's Great Escape. I put it up at the same time as another level, and there's a reason why: I was polishing up and posting a level over a couple beers, then I decided to play with an idea I had, and then more beers came, and the next thing I knew they were both up. I never hated that level exactly, but I did make some drunken mistakes (there was a centrepiece in the middle of the stage with all these piranha plants and pipes that you could just breeze through if you didn't stop, but otherwise it was impossible -- I always hated that, and so did everyone else) and I've also since seen a lot of people do the same theme with the same title, so I figured I should give it an overhaul.

So I did! Now it's Bowser themed. The big guy has to get through a castle, and he's gonna show everyone who's boss! The good stuff in the level is still there, but I figured out something clever to do with the pipe rush scene. I even snuck in something of a reference to the original, and I think it's pretty clever. I'm really happy with it now, and what better time to release a new costume level than October? Halloween, spoooky! Ooooooo!

Speaking of spooky Halloween levels, I'm adding Boos and Arrows by Bockman to my community showcase list. It's easy and it's straightforward, but it's very solidly made, it's fun to play, it's perfect for the season -- and I'm a sucker for levels with great titles.

If you want to play the rest of the list, it's all here:

Touch Buzzy, Get Dizzy by Chris
Spiny Mine Glacier by Nick
Beetlemania by Slate
The Runner by Novakobx22
Shippo de Ban Ban! Goomba Coaster by Shin
Rosalina's Night at Bowser Tower by Picard
Infiltrate! Bowser City! by MARUPON
Cavern Of Lost Secrets by ZEROMOUS
Goomba's Safety Hat Emporium by Zeus
Flying Munitions Cache by Mercury C.
Super Mario Bros 2 : World 4-2 by SLA83
The Great Riders of Chomponia by Joe
Sunshine by Elliot
Cannon Crush Rush by KBK
Clownfrontation by SADJ
MTW 3-5 Piranha Tracks by Aidturith
Chain Chomps Chase by Cisco
Mario's Far Eastern Adventure by BGBW~nya
Superstarship by aaronrift

Now here's some feedback for the, uh, one level posted:

Muchworks
pugqomg.jpg
F4kByhQ.jpg

7F88-0000-02A2-3363

This is deliberately paced, which might put some people off at the start, but it's so well polished and you do a lot of really clever things throughout. I love how you reward keeping Yoshi. I don't know that I ever expected to play a top-notch muncher level, but now I did! A must-play level.

Thanks for the feedback, seriously appreciate it. The entire second part of the stage (the autoscroll part) was actually entirely designed without autoscroll at first, but I found it kind of dull, and it was pretty difficult to lose Yoshi. I set it to autoscroll after basically completely finishing it and was surprised how well it worked. It only required a couple more tweaks to make it more playable.

I wish I kept up the momentum and went to work right on the next, but I think maybe I'll hold off until the 3DS version is released--I think there might be a bump in traffic to stages at the very least then.

Yeah, the difficulty is not intermediate. This level is really, really hard. It's very well made, but if you think this is just an average level, you're either a top-notch Mario player or you didn't playtest it with enough of a critical eye. There aren't a lot of ROB levels and this uses a lot of strange -- and good -- combinations of stage elements to really stand out.

I'd recommend this more highly if it weren't for that door that drops you into one-way death, seriously, get out of town with that stuff. I know that thing is down what should be a death pit anyway, but you ask people to play your level and you waste their time with that? Come on, the rest of your level is very well made and that sort of thing is a real black eye on it.

Thank you for the honest criticism.

I'm actually always critiquing levels to myself whenever I play 100-Man Mario, so I playtest my levels very thoroughly. However, having observed the (very low) completion rate since I put it up, I'm left wondering if I set my standards too high.

As for the one-way death, I'm assuming you're referring to
the out-of-the-way door that leads you to a spike pit.
That was part of a minor theme I had where you could spot hidden entrances/alcoves if you paid attention to the environment (
there's another one around the same spot where a Spike Top climbs up to an alcove that houses a Koopa Clown Car.
I designed them so they weren't that obvious to spot, so that one was more of a joke on my part.

I recently got criticism that the checkpoint location was too annoying--which was a concern of mine during the playtesting process--so I'll be taking another look at it soon since I'm still very proud of what I did with it.

By the way, did the open narrative work for you? It's not something I'm planning on doing again, so I put my all into it.

jholmes

Thank you for the honest criticism.

I'm actually always critiquing levels to myself whenever I play 100-Man Mario, so I playtest my levels very thoroughly. However, having observed the (very low) completion rate since I put it up, I'm left wondering if I set my standards too high.

As for the one-way death, I'm assuming you're referring to
the out-of-the-way door that leads you to a spike pit.
That was part of a minor theme I had where you could spot hidden entrances/alcoves if you paid attention to the environment (
there's another one around the same spot where a Spike Top climbs up to an alcove that houses a Koopa Clown Car.
I designed them so they weren't that obvious to spot, so that one was more of a joke on my part.

I recently got criticism that the checkpoint location was too annoying--which was a concern of mine during the playtesting process--so I'll be taking another look at it soon since I'm still very proud of what I did with it.

By the way, did the open narrative work for you? It's not something I'm planning on doing again, so I put my all into it.

You'll have to forgive me on the specifics, it's been quite some time since I played -- the checkpoint is in this really bouncy spot, right? I can't see the map on the bookmark page because it's technically a sub-area, but I have a vague memory of it being a pain in the ass but doable so.... yeah I think it's OK? I'm a big believer in having respect for the player but you can't be afraid to still have fun with them.

As far as narrative stuff goes, that's really not my thing (I hope some of the people who adore that stuff give the level a shot, it's well worth it) but I did like the ambience, the presentation as a whole. ROB's somewhere where he ain't supposed to be! What's not to like there?

But yeah two clears out of 115 attempts, that is some firm difficulty!

You'll have to forgive me on the specifics, it's been quite some time since I played -- the checkpoint is in this really bouncy spot, right? I can't see the map on the bookmark page because it's technically a sub-area, but I have a vague memory of it being a pain in the ass but doable so.... yeah I think it's OK? I'm a big believer in having respect for the player but you can't be afraid to still have fun with them.

As far as narrative stuff goes, that's really not my thing (I hope some of the people who adore that stuff give the level a shot, it's well worth it) but I did like the ambience, the presentation as a whole. ROB's somewhere where he ain't supposed to be! What's not to like there?

But yeah two clears out of 115 attempts, that is some firm difficulty!

Yeah, that's it. I wanted something that could segue properly into the level's hardest area (the spike maze, which also involves bouncing). so that's why I wanted the checkpoint right before it. I agree with your analysis, but I think I'll be taking a look at it anyway.

I'm thinking for my next several creations I may tone down ambition and just focus on making fun levels; basically, make them more accessible while maintaining that creativity.

Jeeves

It's been a long time since I posted here, but I never stopped making the marios! I figured I'd post a bunch of my best levels for you guys. For the most part, I try to keep my levels in the moderate area of the difficulty spectrum: Not putting you to sleep but (hopefully) not frustrating.

From newest to oldest!

Follow the Fuse!
This one has Mario keeping pace with bob-ombs on their way to clearing a path for him! It's intended to be engaging without being overly difficult; anyone should be able to clear it if they keep at it. It features a modest bonus area for observant players to find. Also, the level only utilizes the lower half of the creation grid.
Don't let those bombs get away from you!

POW Industries
I wanted to see what I could do with POW blocks as the main element. It loosely follows the theme of being in a factory. I tried to pace it with the main challenge areas punctuated by short moments of levity and lower stakes. It teaches the player things they'll need to make use of later and features a "boss" room where you're mainly fighting the room itself.

Metroid Abridged
I make no claims that this is a very good level, but it's my attempt at a whole Metroid game condensed into one course, taking inspiration from my hazy memory of the first game with some elements from Super tossed in. I tried to make Mother Brain look more dangerous than it actually is because that's an annoying fight in the real game. Thwart the space pirates and get back to your ship!

The Lost City of Golems
A collaborative effort with a friend. He did most of the above ground area and I did most of the underground section. We shamelessly took an idea from a "Mecha Bowser" level he showed me on youtube. I think it turned out pretty swell!

Big Boo's Little Secret
A brief ghost house level playing just a little bit with the 'parallel worlds' shtick that people like to do.

Prison Break - Rescue Yoshi!
One of my favorites! I made it when we got the key & skewer update. It's a nonlinear "dungeon" style level with an emphasis on presentation and a light narrative. Mario gets himself captured in order to stage an escape and get his buddy out of there!

Feeble-Footing Canyon
My only level designed specifically to be challenging. Guide Mario from one end of a gaping canyon to the other, and keep moving because there's not much in the way of footholds along his path. Good luck!

Go For Yolk
A level playing like a series of minigames. Keep pace with the flying egg to unlock the door forward. It wasn't intended to be an Expert level, but it seems most of the 100 Mario Challenge players had some trouble with it. Maybe Gaf will fare better?

Da Vines are Divine
A series of vine-climbing challenges that ramp up in difficulty as you go, and a bonus area with a fun way to access it. What awaits you at the end...?!

Sabotage the Mole Fleet! W/Chkpt
One of my early efforts that I advertised in this thread a long time ago. It remains one of my most long and ambitious levels. It badly needed checkpoints back in the day, and refreshing this level was the first thing I did when that patch came. You must somehow sabotage each ship to proceed to the next, eventually wreaking havoc on the mother ship's engines. Gaf's feedback taught me a lot about bug-testing as I refined this level over and over.

Yoshi's Got Talent!
Another level previously shared here. This one showcases the full range of Yoshi's abilities and features a twice-branching path giving the level sort of a "double helix" structure. The first branch will only be found by the curious. The boss can be slogged through head-on or quickly dispatched with a callback to a puzzle found early on.

Suit Up
The earliest of this list. It's just a power trip, which people seemed to like because it's my most starred level by far. There are three hidden one-ups, each harder to find than the last.

-----

There you go! There's plenty more among my uploads but a lot of the ones I left out are made by friends and/or are experimental or joke levels. I will be bookmarking some levels in here for later play, glad to see our community for this game is still ticking.

addyb

I hang my head in shame and admit I sold my Wii U before this was released. Good news is I've bought another Wii U and need this in my life!

DeathPeak

I haven't made a course in a loooooooooong time. I wasn't even aware of the bookmark feature, it's been so long. Thought I'd try to get back into it today. Did a ghost house level: Don't Lose It

Gonna bookmark some of your levels!

Nose Master

Bit of a long shot but, is there a way to find out someone's Nintendo ID through their Mario Maker page? My friends kid wiped his Wii-U, and he doesn't remember his ID. I'm also not friends with him on the system itself, which is weird.

jholmes

Bit of a long shot but, is there a way to find out someone's Nintendo ID through their Mario Maker page? My friends kid wiped his Wii-U, and he doesn't remember his ID. I'm also not friends with him on the system itself, which is weird.

You're talking about the Bookmark page? You should be able to pick one of his stages, then click on the Miiverse Comments button to see the Miiverse post, and from there look at his profile to see the ID name (it's the second name, the smaller one in grey, not black).

jholmes

Played a couple of levels from the thread, and they turned out perfect for a bit of pre-Halloween spookiness. If you're looking for one of mine to play, my latest is sorta themed-ish, being a costume level and full of scary lava. My other stuff is mentioned earlier on the page. But enough about me!

It's been a long time since I posted here, but I never stopped making the marios! I figured I'd post a bunch of my best levels for you guys. For the most part, I try to keep my levels in the moderate area of the difficulty spectrum: Not putting you to sleep but (hopefully) not frustrating.

Bridge Over Troubled Lava

Yeah, you listed a bunch of stages, and then I looked into your profile and chose to play one you didn't list for some reason. Whoops. Not using a contextual power-up really hurts this stage -- I was playing sloppy, lost my mushroom, but then the game kicked me a fire flower for free halfway through the stage. The sound effects are a bit much but good structure otherwise. I should try something else of yours. (Probably something you mentioned this time!)

I haven't made a course in a loooooooooong time. I wasn't even aware of the bookmark feature, it's been so long. Thought I'd try to get back into it today. Did a ghost house level: Don't Lose It

I liked this stage, tough and a tad puzzling. I feel like I'm probably missing something in the stage -- I got to the end and felt like, oh, this is the end! Not that it was too short, I just didn't expect I was going in the right direction. Worth a play, I'd love to know what other people thought of it.

TheMoon

So I decided to fire the game up for the first time in almost a year today. Checkpoi ts being in the game is new to me! This is good! So I made a second level based on a concept I did before. Try it and give feedback please!

Clear The Path For Yoshi 2

850F-0000-02B5-8B16

So this is why you don't know about the website that launched last December?! We don't use codes anymore.

This is your level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/850F-0000-02B5-8B16

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So this is why you don't know about the website that launched last December?! We don't use codes anymore.

This is your level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/850F-0000-02B5-8B16
Oooohhhhh how useful. Thanks! Added to my post. Wow. This game should have launched with this. I'm gonna read through recent stuff in thisbthread and play a bunch of GAF levels now. Now that I don't have to type in a bunch of codes I'm much more inclined to give everything a go than I was back when I was super in to this game the first time.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I cant believe that website has the ability to search by game theme, level theme and tags.

YET YOU STILL CANT SEARCH WITH THESE OPTIONS IN THE ACTUAL FUCKING GAME.

Jesus, Nintendo.

Ranger X

I cant believe that website has the ability to search by game theme, level theme and tags.

YET YOU STILL CANT SEARCH WITH THESE OPTIONS IN THE ACTUAL FUCKING GAME.

Jesus, Nintendo.

You search on the website, you bookmark the levels you want to play and they list up in the game. Pretty convenient.
( I know I know, ALL in game would have been perfect)

Also, here's my profile -- I been serious about making good levels for 6 months at least. https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Rangerzero?type=posted

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
One day later and my level has 2 plays. Sigh. This is even worse than it was before. Very disheartening. It's like, why bother? Nobody's gonna play anything I make anyway.

Ranger X

The game is pretty much dead. That's a fact. Be happy if you ever pass 50 plays.
My late levels have less than 100 plays and its half a year its there.

jholmes

One day later and my level has 2 plays. Sigh. This is even worse than it was before. Very disheartening. It's like, why bother? Nobody's gonna play anything I make anyway.

The game is pretty much dead. That's a fact. Be happy if you ever pass 50 plays.
My late levels have less than 100 plays and its half a year its there.

Are you guys playing anyone else's levels? Offering feedback in here or on Miiverse? Trying what's on offer in 100-Mario Challenge? Seeing what the community has to offer and learning from that, polishing your work and steadily improving what you've got? Or are you just popping out one stage after a year-long hiatus and expecting the world to beat a path down to your door?

The community isn't as active as it once was, no doubt about that, but you really do get what you put into it.

jholmes

I decided to fire this up in the run up to the 3DS port and played through some stages on here. First I wanted to point out a short but really fun level I stumbled upon on 100-Mario Maker called Shifty Ship. You might not want to play if you easily get seasick but otherwise it's a rockin' and rollickin' good time!

So I decided to fire the game up for the first time in almost a year today. Checkpoi ts being in the game is new to me! This is good! So I made a second level based on a concept I did before. Try it and give feedback please!

Clear The Path For Yoshi 2

850F-0000-02B5-8B16

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/850F-0000-02B5-8B16

This is good but to be really frank this feels like a level made by someone who played for a couple of weeks and then came back a year later. There are so many puzzle levels out there that play with interesting, esoteric mechanics and just ooze polish (look at this for just one of many, many, many examples out there) and your level lacks a firm mechanical hook and makes some rookie mistakes, like having pipes just end in the air. I don't think this is bad by any means but I most certainly see why it's been ignored. If you tried a more standard traditional platforming level there might have been a more enthusiastic response, I don't know. I do know that the people who make puzzle levels and get a big response pour hours upon hours into their stages.

Da Vines are Divine
A series of vine-climbing challenges that ramp up in difficulty as you go, and a bonus area with a fun way to access it. What awaits you at the end...?!

I'm a sucker for vine levels so I played this and, yeah, guess what, I really liked it! Who would've thought. Really nice work. I love the idea of a lakitu's cloud as a secret power-up. Why don't stages do that more often? Why haven't I ever thought of that?

Ok looks like I was inspired and pull out another. This one is a try at some original theme and while not being "hard" per see, this level is meant to be navigated carefully.

THE HAUNTED SWAMP

21C5-0000-0228-A98A.jpg

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Have fun!

I liked this and thought the layout was really clever. I went to comment but you block all comments so I didn't write anything and forgot the other stuff I was going to say.

jholmes

I was saving my latest until the 3DS port lands but given that you can't even give out stars on 3DS, might as well trot it out now.

No Man Should Have All That POWs

This is certainly the most puzzle-like level I've ever made (and likely the only puzzle-esque level I'll ever make) but it still has a lot of action, so I hope it finds some fans. I'm not sure if anyone is going to be diving back into the Wii U version around now, but if so feel free to play and give feedback.

EDIT: My first piece of feedback was that I clumsily forgot about a spot where you can get stuck (with some effort). It was an easy fix so I re-uploaded. Thanks cooljeanius!

Hi fellow Makers, I recently uploaded a 32-level "complete game" with my 2nd Miiverse account. It's NSMBU style with 8 worlds of 4 levels each. Most levels in it have 3 optional Pink Coins to collect that open the way to the top of the flagpole. Here's the ID for the 1-1 in it:

860D-0000-02C0-2D2F
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/860D-0000-02C0-2D2F

I hope anyone still keeping up with this thread will enjoy the series!

I played 1-1 and I liked it, but I get the feeling it's one of those levels best viewed as part of a larger whole. Is there maybe another level you'd recommend from the series, maybe something less basic, as a teaser? I don't really want to play 32-level packs but a lot of people who make them turn out really solid traditional-style platforming levels, and those are definitely my thing.

I played 1-1 and I liked it, but I get the feeling it's one of those levels best viewed as part of a larger whole. Is there maybe another level you'd recommend from the series, maybe something less basic, as a teaser? I don't really want to play 32-level packs but a lot of people who make them turn out really solid traditional-style platforming levels, and those are definitely my thing.
You're right, it is definitely supposed to be part of a larger whole. Uh... it's hard to pick just 1, since they're supposed to tie together and build off of each other. I focused on making clean transitions between the levels a bit more in the first half, actually. I guess here's an overview:
World 1: Basic starter world, Goombas are the main enemy
1-4: Involved and puzzly Goomba boss fight: 2715-0000-02C0-2E34
World 2: Water and fish themed world
2-1: Another pretty basic one, but it has my highest star rate of the game so far, at 57.6%. (The clear rate is 59.61%.) ID: 8A29-0000-02C0-2E98
2-4: Tough Cheep-Cheep boss; kind of a difficulty spike: 2D82-0000-02C0-2FF5
World 3: Theme: Propellers, clouds, and cloudlike-things
3-1: Introduction to the propeller; some of the skills I taught in it were considered "gimmicks" by some players: 5B0D-0000-02C0-309D
3-2: A ghost house with powerup-based progression; the Pink Coins are actually necessary. Kind of a "Metroidvania-lite" type level: BDFC-0000-02C0-30D6
3-3: This one is a dumb joke: it's a pun on the multiple senses of the Japanese word "Kumo" which can mean both "cloud" and "spider" (so I made a pixel art spider out of clouds). ID: 9745-0000-02C0-3102
3-4: I did an airship instead of a castle for this world; the boss fight features Monty Moles: D5E4-0000-02C0-3195
World 4: This one is kinda tunnel-themed
4-2: Introduction to Yoshi: CADF-0000-02C0-335F
4-4: A cutscene that explains what happens in World 5: 04CF-0000-02C0-345B
World 5:
A post-apocalyptic remix of World 1 where everything has become more difficult!
(None of the levels in this world are standalone, so I won't recommend any of them unless you're going to play the whole game)
World 6: Ice themed
6-4: A volcano with a Fire Bubble survival challenge for the boss room: 84B6-0000-02C90-386D
World 7: Theme: shooting things
(World 7 kinda sucks, actually)
World 8: Theme: Difficulty!
8-4: An epic coin hunt with reusable checkpoints. The boss fight looks crazy and chaotic, but it actually ended up having to be easy because of the whole issue with Pink Coins resetting at the checkpoint after you turn them into a key. It takes a long time to complete. I tried to use every single course element available in it. ID: 8A4F-0000-02C1-1D12

Ranger X

I decided to fire this up in the run up to the 3DS port and played through some stages on here. First I wanted to point out a short but really fun level I stumbled upon on 100-Mario Maker called Shifty Ship. You might not want to play if you easily get seasick but otherwise it's a rockin' and rollickin' good time!

This is good but to be really frank this feels like a level made by someone who played for a couple of weeks and then came back a year later. There are so many puzzle levels out there that play with interesting, esoteric mechanics and just ooze polish (look at this for just one of many, many, many examples out there) and your level lacks a firm mechanical hook and makes some rookie mistakes, like having pipes just end in the air. I don't think this is bad by any means but I most certainly see why it's been ignored. If you tried a more standard traditional platforming level there might have been a more enthusiastic response, I don't know. I do know that the people who make puzzle levels and get a big response pour hours upon hours into their stages.

I'm a sucker for vine levels so I played this and, yeah, guess what, I really liked it! Who would've thought. Really nice work. I love the idea of a lakitu's cloud as a secret power-up. Why don't stages do that more often? Why haven't I ever thought of that?

I liked this and thought the layout was really clever. I went to comment but you block all comments so I didn't write anything and forgot the other stuff I was going to say.

Oh you mean the comments in the level while you play right? I don't even remember we could block that. If that's the case I probably blocked them because I hate that feature. Creates annoying bubbles that don't even disappear properly when you turn them off + people can write crap or spoilers and that's something I don't have time to moderate of want to moderate at all anyways. Its MUCH easier to receive feedback on MiiVerse, at the end of the level, on the Super Mario Maker website or again here on GAF.

jholmes

Oh you mean the comments in the level while you play right? I don't even remember we could block that. If that's the case I probably blocked them because I hate that feature. Creates annoying bubbles that don't even disappear properly when you turn them off + people can write crap or spoilers and that's something I don't have time to moderate of want to moderate at all anyways. Its MUCH easier to receive feedback on MiiVerse, at the end of the level, on the Super Mario Maker website or again here on GAF.

No, I couldn't comment at the end of the level. I would have to stop playing, go to the level in Mario Maker and grab the Miiverse thread, or find Miiverse from the Bookmark site... I just moved to the next level and forgot what I had to say.

2-1: Another pretty basic one, but it has my highest star rate of the game so far, at 57.6%. (The clear rate is 59.61%.) ID: 8A29-0000-02C0-2E98
2-4: Tough Cheep-Cheep boss; kind of a difficulty spike: 2D82-0000-02C0-2FF5
World 3: Theme: Propellers, clouds, and cloudlike-things

Bookmarked these and a couple others, will play when I finally get enough new levels to play built up or the mood strikes.

I don't play levels that have the comments turned off on them. I really like being able to leave feedback that shows up in-level associated with the relevant spot in the level right when I think of it. Turning off comments stifles conversation which is my primary reason for playing the game.

keep

I've been lurking in this thread but haven't bitten yet into buying this game as I'm more of a player rather than a builder. However the sheer quality of some of the levels I see on YouTube is making me want to give this a go, just to play other people's levels.

My question is: if I buy this now and Nintendo eventually switches off their online services for the Wii U, which let's face is bound to happen in the next two years, will I lose all the levels I've downloaded until then or are these kept in the Wii U's hard drive forever and you can play offline? It's a big deciding factor for me as I may not be playing this straight away.

jholmes

I've been lurking in this thread but haven't bitten yet into buying this game as I'm more of a player rather than a builder. However the sheer quality of some of the levels I see on YouTube is making me want to give this a go, just to play other people's levels.

My question is: if I buy this now and Nintendo eventually switches off their online services for the Wii U, which let's face is bound to happen in the next two years, will I lose all the levels I've downloaded until then or are these kept in the Wii U's hard drive forever and you can play offline? It's a big deciding factor for me as I may not be playing this straight away.

No, levels you download are yours. I want to say you can save something like 120 (this includes the levels you make). Also, there are 100 (I think?) levels on-disc already. They're short but fun.

Sorry for not looking up the numbers, but I'm sure you can find them if you need.

Ranger X

No, I couldn't comment at the end of the level. I would have to stop playing, go to the level in Mario Maker and grab the Miiverse thread, or find Miiverse from the Bookmark site... I just moved to the next level and forgot what I had to say.

Bookmarked these and a couple others, will play when I finally get enough new levels to play built up or the mood strikes.

Oh I understand now. Still hate this feature to much to turn it on (lol) but I realised its only your friends that can still comment (at least at the end of the level). Because I was like "how come Jholmes can't comment and I can receive comment from X person".
:)

Does this count as the 3DS OT too? I wanted to get some ideas on how you guys got some of these Challenge Medals because I'm completely lost on some of them.

TheMoon

Does this count as the 3DS OT too? I wanted to get some ideas on how you guys got some of these Challenge Medals because I'm completely lost on some of them.

just ask away, there's no proper SMM3DS OT and I don't think there's a big point in making one other than it being in the main gaming forum for more people to find.

Top Bottom