• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jholmes

just ask away, there's no proper SMM3DS OT and I don't think there's a big point in making one other than it being in the main gaming forum for more people to find.

Yeah I'd just leave it here, anything about level design is relevant to both games and the closest thing we have to a 3DS OT is the review thread, which understandably is filled up with a lot of complaining about the absent features.

Calling all Mario Maker pros!

There's a kickstarter for a board game called Kingdom Death: Monster (some images NSFW). It's a hardcore dark fantasy board game which is best described as Dark Souls + XCom + Monster Hunter.

To cut to the chase, he put out a challenge to everyone. He is not going to be doing any more updates to the Kickstarter until someone beats his Mario Maker level (or until he gets bored). However, if the level is beaten within 24 hours, he's going to add an additional goodie to the game!

We need your help! For anyone who is looking for a challenge, please help the community and beat the level.

Currently it has been beaten by himself and his brother, so we will have completed the change once there are a total of three clears on the level.

BCDD-0000-00FB-69FD

I made a new 1-1 Course that meets requirements to appear in 100 Mario Challenge on 3DS and its only seen 1 play in a few days. I guess Super Mario Maker is dead now? Depressing...

Pesca 1-1 (3DS)
I'm still playing it! I was actually thinking, now that it's almost the end of the year, and SMM has been out for the entirety of this one, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a "Super Mario Maker Level of the Year" thread to parallel GAF's "GOTY" thread? There have been a lot of great levels uploaded this year and it would be a good way to revive some interest in this game to take a look back at some of them.

jholmes

I'm still playing it! I was actually thinking, now that it's almost the end of the year, and SMM has been out for the entirety of this one, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a "Super Mario Maker Level of the Year" thread to parallel GAF's "GOTY" thread? There have been a lot of great levels uploaded this year and it would be a good way to revive some interest in this game to take a look back at some of them.

That's a fantastic idea! People are always looking for good stages and a lot of people with the game didn't pay much attention to the community this year. I'm in.

I made a new 1-1 Course that meets requirements to appear in 100 Mario Challenge on 3DS and its only seen 1 play in a few days. I guess Super Mario Maker is dead now? Depressing...

Pesca 1-1 (3DS)

Hey, I'm always down for more levels! I'm just going through the 3DS game and some other stuff, plus real life of course. I've got this and your other new level bookmarked and will play in the near future.

I'm curious, what are the requirements for a course to appear on the 3DS 100 Mario Challenge?

That sounds awesome. I'd love to get a nice collection of good courses to play through. I think Super Expert 100 Mario Challenge might actually be killing me.

I'm curious, what are the requirements for a course to appear on the 3DS 100 Mario Challenge?

I don't know that there's any specific requirement, but I do know that any stage with a Costume Mario hidden in it won't show up on 3DS.

AEREC

Kinda interested in picking up the 3DS version, I have the Wii U version but i honestly never really touched it. This seems better suited to the 3DS for me anyways as Im not really a creator and the lack of sharing doesn't really bother me, Im guessing they left it out because they want to give people a reason to buy the Switch version. My main concerns\questions are:

1. Is there any slowdown for the more densely created levels?

2. Levels created on the Wii U are downloadable correct?

3. Ill be playing on the New 3DS XL...any benefits over the old 3DS XL?

Thanks.

TheMoon

Kinda interested in picking up the 3DS version, I have the Wii U version but i honestly never really touched it. This seems better suited to the 3DS for me anyways as Im not really a creator and the lack of sharing doesn't really bother me, Im guessing they left it out because they want to give people a reason to buy the Switch version. My main concerns\questions are:

Thanks.

No

"No" - you play 100 Mario Challenge and it pulls whatever is compatible randomly as usual

No idea

Note: You want this for the Super Mario Challenge (Nintendo-made levels) which are all excellent with the Medal Challenges. You're not playing this version for user made stuff.

jholmes

Thanks.

1. Not that I've encountered but there is on some (very ridiculous) Wii U levels. Haven't gone to the trouble of rebuilding one on the 3DS to compare. Worth noting though that the New Super Mario Bros. esthetic looks almost grainy and kind of pixelated on the 3DS version -- not a deal-breaker but definitely worse than the Wii U there.

2. You can find them on 100-Mario Challenge and download them or you can get Nintendo's recommended levels (pretty much what you'd find in the Wii U recommended tab) and download those. You can't comment on levels or star them or find out their address so far as I know, so that's all you can do, play or download.

3. I don't have an old 3DS to play on anymore to compare but the game has start-up loading screens, and especially on the first boot-up it's sort of long, so I wouldn't be shocked if it goes a little quicker on New 3DS. That's probably it.

jholmes

This is just a quick and dirty list but it's a place to start: Four levels from this thread that made my community showcase:

New courses:

The Great Riders of Chomponia

51B1-0000-018D-72F3.jpg

51B1-0000-018D-72F3_full.jpg

This is a very simple level. I feel like it's a very classic style level with a slight twist.

61A3-0000-01AD-91EC

After a couple days of building and a couple weeks of actually trying to beat it, and then another couple days of waiting for maintenance to end so I could upload it, my first serious level made since I unlocked all the tools is live!

Pretty proud of it. Hope it's frustrating, but not too frustrating. In the meantime, I just noticed the wealth of talent listed in the OP. Gonna dig into those asap! God what a game!

(jholmes's note: this level is called Sunshine)

Now one of my levels:

Mega Thwomp World 3-5 Piranha Tracks

A level I had a lot of fun making, I hope to achieve a little bit of controlled chaos.

Well I tried entering Nintendo UK's contest for a Japan inspired stage to be played at Hyper Japan. It didn't get picked in favour of stages that didn't really have much to do with Japan at all. Oh well.

It was still interesting trying to design a stage around a theme rather than mechanic while still trying to make it feel like a proper platforming level.

Mario's Far Eastern Adventure

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/1390-0000-026C-473D

1390-0000-026C-473D_full.jpg

I'm not sure that Inkwell stage is really his best of the year, but it was the one I got the biggest kick out of. Definitely any list of levels of the year needs to have one of his on it, he was just electric all year long.

New costume today. It's a bit uh.... different.

https://youtu.be/cVOGlzurFxE

Dr Kawashima's disembodied head.

I personally find this sort of disembodied head thing really offputting but I'll still get the costume all the same.

Bydobob

Merry Christmas! Had the motivation to make another level after playing Super Mario Run. It's been bloody ages, but making this one was surprisingly easy. It's not as exacting as my past stuff, requiring less precision in favour of a little more puzzle.

Cave escapes
Expert

960F-0000-02F7-1AEC_full.jpg

Mael

Merry Xmas MakerGaf!

I don't think I have any excuses this time... between pokeSun, my never ending quest to finish Bloodborne, me discovering Darksouls 2, actually getting a NES mini AND using it and whatever the hell that is.

I have a level I had in the oven for so long...
I'll try to make up for it my way :
1 level a day for a week (so till December 31st)
Today is probably the one that will be the best out of all of them because it's simply the one I spent the most time refining (something like 4 months I sat on that one).
If you played Mario World, it might look familiar to you...
Castle fusions :
WVW69j6t04gd-mzRKL

30F3-0000-02D8-B45E_full.jpg

See you tomorrow for another level!

That's a fantastic idea! People are always looking for good stages and a lot of people with the game didn't pay much attention to the community this year. I'm in.

That sounds awesome. I'd love to get a nice collection of good courses to play through. I think Super Expert 100 Mario Challenge might actually be killing me.
Cool. I could post the thread, but I'd need someone to remind me once the GOTY thread goes up so I can post it at the same time. And I'd also need help photoshopping graphics for banners and whatever. And help counting the votes. But I can write the text myself, at least. Or just copy-and-paste it from the GOTY thread where relevant.

Mael

Day-2 :
This one I had the start ready for so long but before yesterday never did manage to make it go anywhere.
I actually finished it!
I know that it's far from perfect (it's a little drab as far as background design goes and the boss made me waste something like 1h to even post the damn thing!)

Spike top's Lair :
WVW69j7EEFA-5VxKf1

BD57-0000-02DB-1377_full.jpg

you know the drill, there's certainly more than 1 path but all of them lead to Rome.
Good luck.

For tomorrow I'll try something I never do : KISS
Btw let me know what you think of the levels I posted if there's anything you absolutely never want to see again or anything you want more of.

Mael

Day-3 :

Turns out simple really means using an existing level as a base :lol
I basically remade a level I really like in a game I really liked

Tatanga's spaceship :
WVW69j7Pn50sbioe7M

0BEC-0000-02DC-2A15_full.jpg

It's probably the 1rst level I post with an automatic section.
You really need to pace yourself if you don't want to make a hellish mario killing landscape.
I don't think it's that hard (especially compared to the last one where the boss is really too hard for my taste).
Don't bother searching secrets, there's probably isn't any worth finding. No shortcuts either.
Again if you like the level, do not hesitate to comment on what you liked or not.
See you tomorrow for another level hopefully.

jholmes

GAF, I'm starting off 2017 by getting a very old project off my plate. Here is 2-2 Remix (New Lakitu).

This is a remix of level 2-2 from a game that people do not seem to think has got better with age, New Super Mario Bros. (the OG DS one). I went in looking for a fun level that would be easy to introduce to Super Mario Maker and it was very difficult, as most stages rely heavily on one-off gimmicks or on the suits specific to that game. This stage is mostly faithful, but I couldn't accurately re-create the weird-ass bar things used throughout the stage (I replaced them with blocks, functions pretty much the same) and couldn't do the weird giant swaying mushrooms at the end of the stage (they're still giant mushrooms, but they're bouncy instead of swaying). I had to emulate the desert look and also had to tighten up the stage itself, as it's a bit longer than what Mario Maker allows. The only thing I had to redo from scratch was the bonus level, which made use of those cannon-style warp pipes, but I tried to find something with a similar feel.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it, whether you're a big fan of the source material, haven't played it in a while or never did to begin with. This might go down as the last Mario Maker level I do -- I have an original creation on the 3DS I will definitely port over to the Wii U, but other than that I think I've run dry for ideas. Maybe Nintendo will add something that will inspire me, though!

Time for some feedback. Some stages that have been posted since my last post I have bookmarked since but not played. I will get around to them before too long.

Pesca 1-1 (3DS)

I created a level in Super Mario Maker 3DS to share through StreetPass and I liked it so much that I recreated the whole thing on Wii U to share and get actual feedback on.

Super Pesca Brothers 3: Bowser's Castle (3DS)

Let me know what you think. :D

I definitely enjoyed these. They're a bit easy and some people might call them basic but they're certainly the kind of levels I like to play. Everyone has the time to play through these, so bookmark away, guys and gals!

2-1: Another pretty basic one, but it has my highest star rate of the game so far, at 57.6%. (The clear rate is 59.61%.) ID: 8A29-0000-02C0-2E98
2-4: Tough Cheep-Cheep boss; kind of a difficulty spike: 2D82-0000-02C0-2FF5
6-4: A volcano with a Fire Bubble survival challenge for the boss room: 84B6-0000-02C90-386D

These are all really good! I'm not exactly sure why 2-1 is the most popular, although it does have a really cleverly built secret room toward the end. I liked the fire bubble boss a lot but I wasn't a huge fan of the cheep-cheep boss -- as you note there's a difficulty spike, and it's the sort of boss that's easy if you know what you're doing and just attack right away, but gets really difficult if you're piecing it together slowly as there's so many ways to die and so few ways to power-up at that point. Still, I really dig your levels and I should bookmark more for the next round.

Ranger X

I'm over a year late, but I just bought it this afternoon! I can't wait to dig in!

You'll have to dig out good levels within a HUUUUUGE pile of crap. I truly wish you good luck. Be patient. Its actually worth it for good levels.

Anyhow, I also invite you (cheap plug!!) to try my bunch. They are carefully crafted and of different styles but I always try to create a well done and fair experience.

RangerX levels

Simbabbad

New level, The Castle of 100 Perils (bookmark link):

It's a reasonably difficult castle level in the style of NSMBU, with four main ideas:

- Be a classic Mario level in style.
- Use a wide variety of obstacles and mechanics.
- Allow different play styles and routes.
- Look reasonably good.

Two checkpoints. The lower level at the end of the pipes is just a one screen room which hosts a checkpoint and a progressive powerup.

My blog page with all my levels.
My bookmark page.

funo

a quick question for you Mario Maker Professionals

Do we know the filesize of a typical MM course? Is there any way to check it?

(sorry, my Switch hype levels are over 9000 and I really need to know how many courses I can skip on my commute to work before my data runs out - should the game ever come to the Switch)

TheMoon

a quick question for you Mario Maker Professionals

Do we know the filesize of a typical MM course? Is there any way to check it?

(sorry, my Switch hype levels are over 9000 and I really need to know how many courses I can skip on my commute to work before my data runs out - should the game ever come to the Switch)

you're not downloading any assets, it's just the info which blocks go where so they're tiny.

New level, The Castle of 100 Perils (bookmark link):

It's a reasonably difficult castle level in the style of NSMBU, with four main ideas:

- Be a classic Mario level in style.
- Use a wide variety of obstacles and mechanics.
- Allow different play styles and routes.
- Look reasonably good.

Two checkpoints. The lower level at the end of the pipes is just a one screen room which hosts a checkpoint and a progressive powerup.

My blog page with all my levels.
My bookmark page.

Nice, I like the double layer in the first part! Happy to have the First Clear!

Deku Tree

I just ordered this game off Best Buy. Is there a good way to find a lot of good levels made by other people?

Is there a big danger that all the old levels will become inaccessible sometime in the future because of moving on to next gen and switch?

Ranger X

I just ordered this game off Best Buy. Is there a good way to find a lot of good levels made by other people?

Is there a big danger that all the old levels will become inaccessible sometime in the future because of moving on to next gen and switch?

You'll have to dig out good levels within a HUUUUUGE pile of crap. I truly wish you good luck. Be patient. Its actually worth it for good levels.

Anyhow, I also invite you (cheap plug!!) to try my bunch. They are carefully crafted and of different styles but I always try to create a well done and fair experience.

RangerX levels

:)

Deku Tree

Thanks for the suggestions! I just got Mario Maker in the mail and am trying it out.

Did Nintendo design the challenge courses like "insanity mode" and "10 Mario challenge"?

If not then how do they pick which courses you get is it random? How do they know that the courses don't suck?

Ogni-XR21

Got a Wii U with Mario Maker on Monday and this game has been consuming every minute of my spare time since then.

Will try some of the levels posted in here as I've been having a hard time finding decent ones.

Here are the ones I have uploaded so far, most of them have an alternative path. Too bad some of them haven't even been completed once.

My Mario Maker profile

Ranger X

Thanks for the suggestions! I just got Mario Maker in the mail and am trying it out.

Did Nintendo design the challenge courses like "insanity mode" and "10 Mario challenge"?

If not then how do they pick which courses you get is it random? How do they know that the courses don't suck?

I think its like the 100 Mario, they are randomly downloaded. And no there's no way to tell in advance if they suck. Actually you except the suck by default if you want to stay healthy. lol

TheMoon

If you play 10/100 Mario Challenge and notice a level being offensively bad/mean, just swipe it away. Don't waste lives on shit levels.

Mael

Got a Wii U with Mario Maker on Monday and this game has been consuming every minute of my spare time since then.

Will try some of the levels posted in here as I've been having a hard time finding decent ones.

Here are the ones I have uploaded so far, most of them have an alternative path. Too bad some of them haven't even been completed once.

My Mario Maker profile

Done them all.
There's comments to go along with them.
You like your leaps of faith!
Nice levels, can really see the improvements over time.
Keep going although I'd say it's probably better if you go by the levels you find here instead of 100 Mario levels...

Here's my bookmarp page (although you, Ogni-XR21 only have to look at who starred your levels and see my levels ingame)

Woah I just realized I just got my 1rst Super Expert level!
I get that it's hard but I didn't think it was THAT hard

Ogni-XR21

Done them all.
There's comments to go along with them.
You like your leaps of faith!
Nice levels, can really see the improvements over time.
Keep going although I'd say it's probably better if you go by the levels you find here instead of 100 Mario levels...

Here's my bookmarp page (although you, Ogni-XR21 only have to look at who starred your levels and see my levels ingame)

Woah I just realized I just got my 1rst Super Expert level!
I get that it's hard but I didn't think it was THAT hard

Thanks a lot. Will take a closer look later tonight and will play your uploaded levels.

I had a friend over on Thursday and he played all the levels I made. He made several "I hate when I can't see where to jump" remarks making me realise how often I built those leaps of faith. It's really interesting watching someone play what you built and how different they end up playing sections compared to how you thought they would when building it.

Well, this is easily one of the biggest reasons I recently purchased a WiiU. I'm fully aware of rom hacks and other PC editing tools but the idea of an officially curated engine proved to be very tantalizing. Going to jump in this evening after work, can't wait to see what's out there!

Can't wait to play some GAF levels! I'm sure you all make some classics for sure, the combined knowledge in this community must be nuts.

And Sporky, that's one hell of a Google Doc you wrote. Thanks for the effort, love the advice!

Been working through some GAF levels and you guys are talented. I've starred a bunch of them. Special shout out to Pesco. I've played all of your levels and I can't think of one I didn't like. Please keep making levels.

I'll check out this new one above my post.

Been too long since I played the game, good to see peeps here in the thread active.

Reposting my latest level for anyone still playing. It's in its 3rd and best incarnation, but editing seems to have killed it with 2 players in 2 weeks!

Cave escapes
Expert

960F-0000-02F7-1AEC_full.jpg

Bookmarked this, will play and give feedback when I can.

Been working through some GAF levels and you guys are talented. I've starred a bunch of them. Special shout out to Pesco. I've played all of your levels and I can't think of one I didn't like. Please keep making levels.

I'll check out this new one above my post.

Here is my profile if you're still looking for some levels to play:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/CaptainCab?type=posted

I have various platform puzzlers and some shoot 'em up stages you might find very unique, jholmes will back me up on my shmup levels. :D

I'm trying to unlock as much possible at the moment, oi there must have been some other way to unlock assets :p

I'm slowly going through courses in the OP and what you all keep suggesting, look out for StarmanSuper667 tearing up your stages haha. Getting used to the new physics but they're not too bad.

Loved this! One of the first times I've raged at Mario in years hahaha

I have a couple of really tough ones you might enjoy:

wQYZrh0.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/3904-0000-0217-5B57

Story and premise:

Mario receives a top secret mission from Princess Peach. The nefarious Captain Bobomb has invaded the skies above Cool Cool Mountain and has amassed a fleet of Bobombs, Fire Pirahnas, Chomps and Rocky Wrenches in order to make his own stronghold within the painting which he will use to oppose even Bowser and gradually take over the castle. Use your shooting skills to navigate icy cold skies, snowy volcanos and endless Fire Car enabled baddies before the finale where you're challenged to an intense gauntlet before confronting Captain Bobomb himself. Features bullet hell action and occasional lite puzzle elements partially borrowed from one of my earlier stages.

Babysittng Bobombs

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/6DD5-0000-011C-41FC

An enemy exploitation and escort mission based stage with some lite puzzle elements. I had a lot of fun making it, really tough yet very fair stage with a slow burn that doesn't let up:

Top Bottom