• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jholmes

This game died in less than a year, a simple port wouldn't cut it, especially since there are issues in current rules.

I think if Nintendo gave it a little more support, rolled out a few extra objects, maybe even just a level theme, people would flock back, at least for a while. There was a huge spike in interest for the last one. I know people were really against how Nintendo doled out updates for this and Splatoon but for a game like this I think it really helps spread out the interest over a broader period of time.

Well, that was some useless overreaction. That'll teach me to click "View Post".

How very true, those were the exact words I was thinking to myself after I clicked to reveal your replies. I can tell you have really passionate and very personal opinions about the game which I really respect, but maybe next time try talking like a mature adult with a modicum of humility the next time you choose of your own accord to reply to someone in a topic you feel is important to you?

I think if Nintendo gave it a little more support, rolled out a few extra objects, maybe even just a level theme, people would flock back, at least for a while. There was a huge spike in interest for the last one. I know people were really against how Nintendo doled out updates for this and Splatoon but for a game like this I think it really helps spread out the interest over a broader period of time.

Summed it up nicely, very well said. As has been said before, how were they expecting to keep the community thriving if outside of the few key updates we got nothing but SMB 1 skins? Who would expect Media Molecule to release a Little Big Planet sequel a year later to keep their community going? And at least in comparison to Mario Maker, Splatoon had a lot of updates which added a nice amount of content.

Simbabbad

I know people were really against how Nintendo doled out updates for this and Splatoon but for a game like this I think it really helps spread out the interest over a broader period of time.
It surprised me too that Nintendo didn't publish more updates for the game, but my guess is they've been working on a full sequel and don't want to take off steam from that.

We'll see. If they do work on a sequel, I guess it'll be among the first games to be announced for NX, because it really makes sense for a console being both a home and portable console (if the rumours are true), so we won't have too long to wait to know now.

EDIT: just read this:

I can tell you have really passionate and very personal opinions about the game
Er... no I don't? What I said above are completely mundane observations that have been said and repeated everywhere by basically everyone. Piranha Plants taking too long to come out of pipes? Skewers not acting right? The game not having enough enemies/sceneries/options? The game being now completely and utterly dead? Everybody's saying this for months, and it effectively can't be fixed while keeping levels that are currently online, meaning it'd need a sequel and not a port to be fixed. What you find here to be "really passionate" or "very personal", I don't know.

Wow, where did the last year go? Seems like yesterday we were eagerly devouring every news update while waiting on pins and needles for the game to finally release. Discouraging how much the community has dropped off. Really annoys me how aside from a few decent updates all Nintendo did content wise was release all of the endless and pointless 8-bit SMB 1 skins. Here's hoping they can find away to make a fully compatible NX port with gonzo content expansion. I still want to make a fortress with a Reznor battle.

I think I came up with a pretty good substitution for Reznor battles in my courses.

I'd love to still be playing this game, but no one was playing or commenting on my stages anymore and it was just disheartening. :(

I think I came up with a pretty good substitution for Reznor battles in my courses.

I'd love to still be playing this game, but no one was playing or commenting on my stages anymore and it was just disheartening. :(

Edit: What?? Hit us with that Reznor solution, man! :)

I really enjoyed what I played of your stages, you really hit the classic SMB 1 feeling coupled with balanced, thoughtful design. Will have to try some more, and yeah, I think it's been at least two weeks since I got a star. Good thing I was able to hit the 5 medal mark before the drought started.

jholmes

The one-year anniversary in two weeks! Get on board! All the cool kids are doing it.

Nerrel

Yeah, I'd like to revise some stages to improve them but it's just not practical to do anymore. Once you get a star you've got to hold onto it or face possible deletion.

And man, it'd be cool to be able to put Reznor wheels in the middle of a level as an obstacle/miniboss.

Edit: What?? Hit us with that Reznor solution, man! :)

I really enjoyed what I played of your stages, you really hit the classic SMB 1 feeling coupled with balanced, thoughtful design. Will have to try some more, and yeah, I think it's been at least two weeks since I got a star. Good thing I was able to hit the 5 medal mark before the drought started.

It involves Fire Pirrahna Plants, ? Blocks, and Tracks. It's not perfect, but it's a good solution. I wish keys and locked doors had been around when I was first making my courses though.

Only a short time until the one year anniversary, eh? Maybe I'll make a few more courses so I hit that goal I set for myself of one course type in each style
besides NSMB

gblues

Banned

You can only get the "this course had reached the maximum number of comments" message so many times before you stop trying. :(

It involves Fire Pirrahna Plants, ? Blocks, and Tracks. It's not perfect, but it's a good solution. I wish keys and locked doors had been around when I was first making my courses though.

Only a short time until the one year anniversary, eh? Maybe I'll make a few more courses so I hit that goal I set for myself of one course type in each style
besides NSMB

Here's hoping we get to see it in action.

If I have time I have an idea for a shmup pseudo-platforming stage that I have been toying with for awhile.

Simbabbad

These last two months, I used death data and my acquired experience to fine tune my levels, and this time I decided to entirely remake my Metroid level about Kraid.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BKraid.png

Nothing has been kept from the original level, I started fresh on a new file, and the only remaining similarities come from similarities with the original game on NES.

The old level never really satisfied me: the powerup chain was too similar to my Brinstar level, the level design or aesthetic didn't feel "Metroid" enough, and the gameplay didn't flow very well and wasn't nervous enough. Replaying the Kraid area in NES Metroid, it struck me that it doesn't really stand on acquiring or using capabilities, and more on collecting expansions (missiles or tanks) and looking for Kraid in a vast maze. To translate this, I therefore removed powerup acquisition/usage and made a pink coin level, where you can explore freely and where you're generally using the Samus costume.

The resulting level is IMO much more original and pleasant, and is actually extremely close to NES Metroid, both visually and in gameplay (one of the two boss encounters pays homage to Super Metroid, though). I'm very happy with it.

ALL MY LEVELS ON SUPER MARIO MAKER BOOKMARK

Hey guys, just made one of my first real attempts at a stage. It's called "Key-pa-Way". This is the Course ID:

9FD9-0000-0291-85E7

Lemme know what ya think!

Hi MarioMakerGAF; I'd kinda switched into lurking-only mode when I browse this site for the last few months, but I figured that it's time for me to get over my embarrassment from abandoning that mafia game and start posting again. So without further ado, I figured I'd share my course lineup with this thread, which I don't think I've done yet. I've uploaded 138 courses between 2 separate profiles, so instead of posting all my individual courses, I'll just post links to my profiles.
Here's my first and main account:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/egallager
And here's my second account:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/ebgallager2
I've already come across many other GAFers in-game; RagnarokX and MamaRobotnik have had some of the best GAFer courses I've come across so far! I hope we get an update for the 1-year anniversary...

jholmes

Really cool to see some life here again! I've added some levels to my bookmarks, no feedback yet though. I'm planning on adding a level to my community showcase (check the bottom of the post) in time for the anniversary, but in the mean time if you're looking for a bit of fun, those are all levels that I think are pretty solid that deserve a few plays and could use a few stars.

Also, if anyone wants to give my stuff a try, my profile is here. And for something a little different, here's one of my favourite levels that I've made: Bounce on Big Bob-omb! It hasn't got a ton of plays lately but I've always been really proud of it. Maybe instead of linking to our giant (but dormant) lists of levels, we could give people a place to start, eh?

Hi MarioMakerGAF; I'd kinda switched into lurking-only mode when I browse this site for the last few months, but I figured that it's time for me to get over my embarrassment from abandoning that mafia game and start posting again. So without further ado, I figured I'd share my course lineup with this thread, which I don't think I've done yet. I've uploaded 138 courses between 2 separate profiles, so instead of posting all my individual courses, I'll just post links to my profiles.
Here's my first and main account:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/egallager
And here's my second account:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/ebgallager2
I've already come across many other GAFers in-game; RagnarokX and MamaRobotnik have had some of the best GAFer courses I've come across so far! I hope we get an update for the 1-year anniversary...

Holy heck, it's crazy to me that you've been this diligent about making courses but didn't dip your toe into the community here. Better late than never though!

Holy heck, it's crazy to me that you've been this diligent about making courses but didn't dip your toe into the community here. Better late than never though!
I was satisfied with just posting on Miiverse for a while. It's a really great community, in some ways better than NeoGAF. The main problem, though, is that the admins there are even stricter than on GAF, and ban things like talking politics, or the rest of the internet outside of Miiverse, or IRL meetups, or sexual innuendos... so I gotta come here if I want to do any of those. PoliGAF in particular is what has drawn me back here, seeing as it's election season in the US now...
Speaking of politics, I've somehow managed to get away with uploading a stealthily political level:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D890-0000-028A-47C0

Simbabbad

Hey guys, just made one of my first real attempts at a stage. It's called "Key-pa-Way". This is the Course ID:

9FD9-0000-0291-85E7
It was fun but a bit messy, sometimes you don't see the platforms where you can land on, and some enemies fire at you from off-screen. It feels like the embryo of something, I'd elaborate on it if I were you.

And for something a little different, here's one of my favourite levels that I've made: Bounce on Big Bob-omb! It hasn't got a ton of plays lately but I've always been really proud of it.
Hey, I haven't played it yet. It's fun, but sometimes the autoscroll screws you if you start jumping on enemies too soon and you find yourself without enemies nor platform to land on.

Anyway, nothing has a ton of plays lately, the game is now mostly played by little kids that give up after one death (and no star, of course). The good side of it is that Expert 100 Mario challenge has become way less frustrating since the audience is less good. There are still many excellent/good levels published lately.

Simbabbad

The new goals (collect enough coins, kill all enemies) are EXTREMELY interesting and I hope the Wii U game will be updated with them.

What I haven't understood yet is connectivity: apparently, the 3DS game can play online Wii U levels (some of them anyway), but you can't share 3DS levels online? Weird, but good for Wii U players, I guess: there will be more people to play levels, and no competition.

Actually, one thing that'd improve the game A LOT is a cheaper eShop only version with no editor that'd only allow you to play online levels. What this game lacks is enough people playing the levels to evaluate them.

Hey, they could even integrate this lighter version free on every NX, the support for the full game would be insane.

The new goals (collect enough coins, kill all enemies) are EXTREMELY interesting and I hope the Wii U game will be updated with them.

What I haven't understood yet is connectivity: apparently, the 3DS game can play online Wii U levels (some of them anyway), but you can't share 3DS levels online? Weird, but good for Wii U players, I guess: there will be more people to play levels, and no competition.

Actually, one thing that'd improve the game A LOT is a cheaper eShop only version with no editor that'd only allow you to play online levels. What this game lacks is enough people playing the levels to evaluate them.

Hey, they could even integrate this lighter version free on every NX, the support for the full game would be insane.

It would be hard to imagine the WiiU game not getting goals. Since the 3DS game has no online sharing lolol.

Def gon publish some new levels this week or next. Working on a sopoky theme actually.

TheMoon

wait, I missed this. goals is a feature? like the challenges in the 100 ninty levels? (collect all coins, defeat all enemies?)

TheMoon

It was said in the trailer (around 0:30), collect all coins and defeat all enemies are new possible goals.

That's still isn't New Super Mario Bros. 2 or NES Remix as far as challenge creativity goes, but it's a start.

No this is still just referring to the 100 Nintendo courses, as I had originally understood it.

transcript:
"It gives you 100 built-in courses designed by nintendo to play right out of the box. These levels have Medal Challenges - from collecting every coin to defeating every enemy before reaching the goal. I wonder how many medals you can collect."

Nerrel

You can only get the "this course had reached the maximum number of comments" message so many times before you stop trying. :(

I wish I had that problem on my stages... :/

Here's hoping we get to see it in action.

If I have time I have an idea for a shmup pseudo-platforming stage that I have been toying with for awhile.

It's in this stage. It's one of my earlier stages so it's a little weak. I kinda want to revisit it with keys and red coins and see if I could make this idea run a little smoother.

jholmes

Guys, less than a week before the one-year anniversary! Don't forget to get those levels ready!

Anyway, I played a neat level in 100-Mario today called «¤ SELF-DESTRUCTION INITIATED ¤» by Reus. It hardly needs more stars and it's one of those levels where you don't really make decisions so much as follow the one, unchanging critical path. But it's pretty manic and it's fun so I might as well share it in case anyone here wants to give it a whirl.

I was satisfied with just posting on Miiverse for a while. It's a really great community, in some ways better than NeoGAF. The main problem, though, is that the admins there are even stricter than on GAF, and ban things like talking politics, or the rest of the internet outside of Miiverse, or IRL meetups, or sexual innuendos... so I gotta come here if I want to do any of those. PoliGAF in particular is what has drawn me back here, seeing as it's election season in the US now...
Speaking of politics, I've somehow managed to get away with uploading a stealthily political level:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D890-0000-028A-47C0

A short, goofy level, probably the best I've seen with the giant retro mushroom. I should pick through your list to find something a little more standard... more of a level-type level, as it were. I do think it's cool, the sort of story-telling that we can do ludonarratively in the game.

9FD9-0000-0291-85E7

Lemme know what ya think!

Man, I finally sat down to play some levels and this one's already gone without a trace! Where's it gone to?

A short, goofy level, probably the best I've seen with the giant retro mushroom. I should pick through your list to find something a little more standard... more of a level-type level, as it were. I do think it's cool, the sort of story-telling that we can do ludonarratively in the game.
Remember I have 2 accounts, and as such, 2 lists... you'd probably have better luck finding something more standard among my first account's levels. (This one was from my second account.)

Nerrel

Here's a track based obstacle course. Hopefully it's not the kind of level you have to memorize to enjoy:

And for something a little different, here's one of my favourite levels that I've made: Bounce on Big Bob-omb!

It's a fun level, and the spacing between enemies is good. I died once because I got out of sync with the moving screen, but that's just a natural part of the challenge of scrolling levels.

These last two months, I used death data and my acquired experience to fine tune my levels, and this time I decided to entirely remake my Metroid level about Kraid.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BKraid.png

I like this version a lot better. I wasn't able to pass it just because I kept dying on the last coin, no matter what order I did the pipes in, but it was well made and fun. I'll have to go back to it when I get more time.

Simbabbad

I like this version a lot better. I wasn't able to pass it just because I kept dying on the last coin, no matter what order I did the pipes in, but it was well made and fun. I'll have to go back to it when I get more time.
Thank you, I also think it's much better and fits what the Kraid NES area is really about. I must say correojon's feedback counted a lot on me being bugged by the previous version, and finally making this one, even if back then I wasn't quite sure what to do to make it better.

I bookmarked your last level.

ALL MY LEVELS ON SUPER MARIO MAKER BOOKMARK

jholmes

Ladies and gentlemen, here is my latest: Gravity Central!

I wanted to make a level with one-way blocks, but I think they look really gross. So my challenge was to make a level where they looked appealing, and everything else grew out of that. Hopefully you dig the mechanical vibe and the level I've built around it!

But this being the one-year anniversary, just one stage isn't enough. So I'll have another one to roll out on the big day on Sunday. Stay tuned!

For now though, I've got a new level for my community showcase! Superstarship by aaronrift is a frantic ride across the skies on a starman-powered starship. There's enemies falling, bosses lying in wait, a big speedrunner shortcut, lots of stuff! Are you up to the challenge? Think you can beat my world record time? Go check that level out for yourself!

If you want to try out my community showcase selections, they're all below. If you're new to the concept, this isn't a best-of list but more a collection of hidden gem stages that I had fun with that could use more stars and plays.

Touch Buzzy, Get Dizzy by Chris
Spiny Mine Glacier by Nick
Beetlemania by Slate
The Runner by Novakobx22
Shippo de Ban Ban! Goomba Coaster by Shin
Rosalina's Night at Bowser Tower by Picard
Infiltrate! Bowser City! by MARUPON
Cavern Of Lost Secrets by ZEROMOUS
Goomba's Safety Hat Emporium by Zeus
Flying Munitions Cache by Mercury C.
Super Mario Bros 2 : World 4-2 by SLA83
The Great Riders of Chomponia by Joe
Sunshine by Elliot
Cannon Crush Rush by KBK
Clownfrontation by SADJ
MTW 3-5 Piranha Tracks by Aidturith
Chain Chomps Chase by Cisco
Mario's Far Eastern Adventure by BGBW~nya
Superstarship by aaronrift

And one more for good measure! This is a little too popular for the showcase and a little too short and gimmicky, but it's full of EXPLOSIONS. Mario Maker explosions! You want to check that out, don't you?

Fall-Vine Night's Pink Coin Hunt: The Clay Pipe Mini-Mystery by Tomomi

Now, to give feedback like it's 2015:

I played Treasure Trackers in the Wild, and I really liked it! It's a great stage and a very effective homage to Captain Toad. Fans of that game really need to give this a look. If you just like puzzle stages, this one's not really tough, but maybe something light and fun is what you're looking for?

This is another level where I like the design, I really wish I was forced to make tough decisions, but there's just so many power-ups all over the place that I just recklessly run through without any fear of dying. It just makes it too easy. You've definitely got an eye for level design, but the power-ups are a problem. Maybe play a couple of your favourite Mario levels, either on Mario Maker or originals, and try to get a feel for how power-ups are spaced out. I feel like you've got one for every two enemies, and there's not a lot by way of environmental hazards. It just gets to be too much.

I've just made the third in a long-running trilogy of compact 2-screen obstacle courses, this one's called Incinerator. It's pretty tough, but short, so persevere!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/5078-0000-01F5-1FC5

lvZjmYx.jpg

Most of this isn't too too tough, except the first bit where you wait for a gap (which is a pain) and the spinning fire bar room (which is tough but very fun). Short, very tough, easy to recommend. (Even if I'm so, so late to the party on this one!)

OK everybody, I'm looking to put in some time with Mario Maker this weekend (and I'm not the only one), so please share stages! Whether they're new or just didn't get a fair shake the first time, I'd love to see what the thread has to offer.

Simbabbad

I played Treasure Trackers in the Wild, and I really liked it! It's a great stage and a very effective homage to Captain Toad. Fans of that game really need to give this a look. If you just like puzzle stages, this one's not really tough, but maybe something light and fun is what you're looking for?
Hey, thanks! I might as well put the level card here:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BTreasure%2BTrackers%2Bin%2Bthe%2BWild.png

It's indeed been thought out to be quite an easy stage, first because Captain Toad isn't a very hard game, and then because I wanted it to be a kid friendly level, kids being the main audience currently playing Mario Maker. The idea was more to translate the tone and gameplay of Captain Toad rather than making a hard puzzle level, with some secondary objectives (coins) for more experienced players. I also mostly wanted to translate the atmosphere of the game, and alternate between Toadette and the Captain.

Will try to work on my anniversary stage this weekend. Undecided between a quick and semi-relaxing platform stage or a shmup.

I wanted to make a level with one-way blocks, but I think they look really gross. So my challenge was to make a level where they looked appealing, and everything else grew out of that. Hopefully you dig the mechanical vibe and the level I've built around it!

Just played this, very nice design with good, tight jumps for the Red coins and coupling the springboards with the gear saws was interesting. I did an "all metal" stage on White Out On Snifit Base and agree that black arrow blocks are ugly so I restricted them to my underground section and then used white metal platforms for the majority of the level.

Wiggler Pond
First level in a really long time. Very rusty but I made an underwater level with chasing wigglers as the theme. Definitely struggled with this one but need to throw some ideas out just to try something.

807B-0000-0297-D8FD.jpg

[Level ID - 807B-0000-0297-D8FD]

Feedback woo

Being able to set goals would be great. Having to kill all the enemies to clear a stage would open up a lot of great possibilities- like boss rushes that can't be cheesed by running past.

Here's a very brief Mario 3 style stage:

Good levels. Lots of different options on how to complete. I think I would have liked to see the level be a little longer though. Felt like it was just beginning when it was over. Probably too many power ups as well. There is some good design in here that could be refined in a more linear stage. I played the level 3 times and set the WR so I definitely had fun with it though :)

I played and liked this one. Kept it nice and simple and there were some cool gimmicks in there like the red coin shortcut and the springboard saw contraption. Your level looked nice and clean and focused on platforming. It also wasn't too long which was a bonus. I really liked this level. The only thing I wasn't too wild about was the beginning. I know it's to introduce the manor but its sorta filler. Otherwise good job.

Hey, thanks! I might as well put the level card here:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BTreasure%2BTrackers%2Bin%2Bthe%2BWild.png

It's indeed been thought out to be quite an easy stage, first because Captain Toad isn't a very hard game, and then because I wanted it to be a kid friendly level, kids being the main audience currently playing Mario Maker. The idea was more to translate the tone and gameplay of Captain Toad rather than making a hard puzzle level, with some secondary objectives (coins) for more experienced players. I also mostly wanted to translate the atmosphere of the game, and alternate between Toadette and the Captain.

I really liked this one. Very reminiscent of the types of puzzles in treasure tracker and 3DWorld. Simple and to straight to the point. Wasted no time introducing the concept. Good flipping between Toad and Toadette. Overall a good level.

Nerrel

This is another level where I like the design, I really wish I was forced to make tough decisions, but there's just so many power-ups all over the place that I just recklessly run through without any fear of dying

Good levels. Lots of different options on how to complete. I think I would have liked to see the level be a little longer though. Felt like it was just beginning when it was over. Probably too many power ups as well.

I'm starting to think Nintendo released this game to teach us all a lesson for complaining about how easy Mario has gotten. It's really easy to fall into the trap of being too generous for the sake of letting everyone play. I'll definitely revise it to be stricter. I often put separate paths in for no particular reason, maybe in the future it'd be best to give them the purpose of offering clearly differentiated difficulties. Thanks for playing and for the feedback.

I'm starting to think Nintendo released this game to teach us all a lesson for complaining about how easy Mario has gotten. It's really easy to fall into the trap of being too generous for the sake of letting everyone play. I'll definitely revise it to be stricter. I often put separate paths in for no particular reason, maybe in the future it'd be best to give them the purpose of offering clearly differentiated difficulties. Thanks for playing and for the feedback.

Honestly, it depends on what you're going for. I always sorta decide from the start if the level is suppose to be easy or its suppose to be hard. From there you can plan out your powerups. I would say though that a way to increase some of the difficulty would be to use progressive power ups. Go Mushroom->Leaf/Flower instead of directly to Leaf/Flower.

jholmes

Just beat 100-Mario Challenge on expert. Was down to my last life, on the last stage, loaded up a fresh level, got this and beat it in one go. I wish every kid who's ever started a level with a Thwomp landing on you, ever had a level with doors that lead to pits, ever used invisible blocks with that damn laughing sound would be forced to walk in my shoes, spending two hours trying to beat 100-Mario only to burn through 24 lives with one stage to go because of their gimmicky crap.

I will play more levels tomorrow and post my latest but for now I need to have a beer and put my feet up.

Simbabbad

I'm currently working on three levels, two NSMB levels (something new to me) and an easy, "joke" SMB level, but they're not finished yet.

According to my statistics, though, people here haven't really played my new Kraid level (BOOKMARK):

I want to emphasize that it's a completely new level, that plays differently than my other Metroid levels and is very close to NES Metroid in how it plays and looks. It's an action/exploration pink coin level without powerup searches, the NES Kraid area not being centred around that anyway.

... if you haven't played it already, I'd also appreciate if people played my Ridley level (BOOKMARK):

I recently updated all my Metroid levels to improve them and make them more accessible, but the game being in the state it is, this level got a mere 4 visits in three weeks and no star. I'm worried it'll get deleted, so I'd at least like that the thing gets enough visits so it's rated in Normal or Expert and stops being pending. It's a shame, because it used to be appreciated.

--

Here's a track based obstacle course. Hopefully it's not the kind of level you have to memorize to enjoy:
740C-0000-0294-F2F2.jpg
I enjoyed it, but there are aspects that may hurt it online:

- At the start, the switches are unique, if you play safe after they get hit and the walls "close" before you go through, you're stuck and have to commit suicide to try again.
- After the checkpoint, the munchers on conveyors gather in a way that it's impossible to go through without being hit. The easy way around it is to go back so the game "deletes" them, then return, but many people won't do that.

I did like it anyway, the conveyors are used well and the level looks good.

I really enjoyed it a lot, I'm a sucker for straight obstacle courses, I had fun getting all pink coins. The part with the bloopers, though, is VERY problematic because they move too erratically to be used as platforms, and I had many deaths there that can be felt as unfair, it could be frustrating in an Expert 100 Mario run.

Wiggler Pond
First level in a really long time. Very rusty but I made an underwater level with chasing wigglers as the theme. Definitely struggled with this one but need to throw some ideas out just to try something.

807B-0000-0297-D8FD.jpg
I enjoyed it even though it does feel unfocused, like you don't know where to lead the level. The way Nintendo handled wigglers underwater is also sort of weird, the normal ones are harmless and the angry ones have a behaviour that is quite hard to predict.

Just beat 100-Mario Challenge on expert.
Skip. A lot. After a while it's easy to detect trollish levels, and the mode can even be enjoyable, but you have to skip at least 75% of levels.

I enjoyed it even though it does feel unfocused, like you don't know where to lead the level.

I started about 3 different levels before I was even able to put something out I thought was serviceable haha. Apparently this is my first level since March. The rust is real. That said, I played a level yesterday that has me completely inspired for a new one I'm gonna work on today

The way Nintendo handled wigglers underwater is also sort of weird, the normal ones are harmless and the angry ones have a behaviour that is quite hard to predict.

Yeah its pretty random. I think the angry ones have some sorta timer on them for how long they chase as well. There are a few enemies in SMM with weird AI.

Simbabbad

Yeah its pretty random. I think the angry ones have some sorta timer on them for how long they chase as well. There are a few enemies in SMM with weird AI.
I don't understand why they didn't just copy the AI of the dragon thing in NSMBU, it would have worked really well. Here, you think you dodged them and they come back, or you think you lured them and they stop chasing you.

This is one among the many reasons why I hope they start from scratch in the next Mario Maker, if they want to stay compatible they'll have to keep all those weird little flaws.

Roo

A friend reminded me last night that it was Super Mario Maker's 1st Anniversary.
I still remember when I got it at launch. Fun times.

Will play and rate some of the stages from the last couple pages to celebrate!.

Happy 1st Anniversary :D

Simbabbad

So, I finally finished one of the stages I was working on, at time for the anniversary (bookmark):

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BPeach%2527s%2BEscape%2Bto%2BAnother%2BCastle.png

"Peach's Escape to Another Castle" is a short and simple castle level focused on indirect kills and a humorous punchline. The idea is that Peach, fed up of waiting, escapes by herself using her wits on unsuspecting Bowser minions.

Other recent work, Metroid Resurgence - Kraid (bookmark):

This level is NEW compared to the other levels in the series, it's an action/exploration level featuring Samus and pink coins.

Please don't let this die (bookmark):

This level has been edited to be more accessible, and only got four visits and no star in three weeks, even though it was previously quite liked. Thanks for playing it if you previously haven't so it doesn't get deleted.

jholmes

Happy birthday, Super Mario Maker! OK gang, here's my new new thing: Invisi-Block Quarry!

I got it in my head to make a level based around invisible blocks. How do you do that? Feel free to check it out. This is a little easier than Gravity Central, so if you were daunted by that one, this might be more your speed. I've included a (brief) anniversary message, but it's a bit hard to reach. Think you can discover it?

If you're just joining us or returning to the thread, we're glad to have you! As I already mentioned, I've got another new level, Gravity Central:

I've also made an addition to my hidden-gems list, the community showcase, in this post.

Now, for more feedback:

I came across this course earlier whilst browsing a user whose other levels I'd found on the bookmarked site. If only I could have the invention to make courses like this. Simply brilliant. 3334-0000-01E0-11B5. 30 Years of NES #2.

This level is from months ago and I don't think the creator of it has posted in this thread since long before even that, but this is a really good, cute homage and I'm glad I finally, after these many months, got around to playing it. My bookmark queue is finally cleaned out!

Wiggler Pond

807B-0000-0297-D8FD.jpg

[Level ID - 807B-0000-0297-D8FD]

What kind of pond has an underwater volcano in it?! Seriously though really good stage, the one mad wiggler who makes a beeline for you right after the checkpoint is probably a bit too tough -- you don't have much room to manoeuvre and he just rips you to shreds. Really good otherwise, clever work easing the player in with the first half and then the way you wall off the leaf is sublime. Very easy recommend -- all you guys popping in to check out what's good and new, this is Exhibit A right here.

According to my statistics, though, people here haven't really played my new Kraid level (BOOKMARK):

I want to emphasize that it's a completely new level, that plays differently than my other Metroid levels and is very close to NES Metroid in how it plays and looks. It's an action/exploration pink coin level without powerup searches, the NES Kraid area not being centred around that anyway.

I liked this a lot! I get a bit exhausted with Metroid levels because they're a lot and they're often labyrinthine but this doesn't wear out its welcome.

It's a fun level, and the spacing between enemies is good. I died once because I got out of sync with the moving screen, but that's just a natural part of the challenge of scrolling levels.

The second half of this is tremendous. I just love it. The first half isn't bad, although I'd caution that the way those P-blocks work, if you don't clear out those blocks while they're coins, you can easily get stuck in a no-win scenario, and if you do it before the first Thwomp, you can get caught in a stalemate where you can't even commit suicide. But man, have I mentioned I love that last-half rush? The scaffolding theme is fun too, it's hard to do something with the SMB airship that feels new but this is good.

Happy One Year Anniversary, Mario Maker:

Red Hot Koopa Clowning

C95A-0000-0298-07CC.jpg

Bookmark:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/C95A-0000-0298-07CC

Free roaming pseudo shmup which utilizes Yoshi and enemy generated fire balls. Features lite puzzle elements, shooting action and a bullet hell Boss fight.

Man, leave it to you to make a shooting-based puzzle level -- or is that a puzzle-based shoot-'em-up? The part after the checkpoint, it's a bit easy to just cheese those lava bubble/bullet bill/flying buzzy/bob-omb monstrosities.

Speaking of them, if the podobo hits you, even if you're Big Mario and you have Yoshi, he knocks you right out of the clown car, so it's effectively a one-hit kill. Was that intentional? If so, that's just brilliant.

It took waaaay longer than I ever expected it to... but I finished my full 40 level Mario Adventure. Not sure if many people are still playing this, but if you're in the mood for some Mario, give em a try!

Bookmark link:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/MylesG?type=posted

World 2: Wiggling Woods

Let me know what you think!

I played 2-2 Macaroon Mines. Real good, classic construction, some fun stuff with tracks and some puzzle elements. I feel like the pacing in terms of enemy placing is a little off, especially at the beginning -- you start off with a big, open area with what feels like a lot of empty space. I don't think it really prepares the player for what's coming up.

All the same, people always want to find classic-style Mario levels and I'm interested to see what else you've got if this is indicative of the quality of the series.

Hey, all! Made a new course for the first time in a while. I'm not sure how to post the previews from the bookmark page, so here's the title and code:

R.O.B.'s Great Escape: E4AB-0000-0274-01F0

(It may actually work better this way; the included mini-map spoils something I'll describe below)

I've have the idea of a R.O.B stage for a while, where the concept would revolve around him escaping from an attic (framed within a Ghost House setting, naturally). As I finally set to work on it, the level eventually evolved into something resembling an open-ended narrative. I set a number of context clues hinting at the level's story; without spoiling anything, let's just say I had to make the level make as much sense going forward as it does backwards. ;)

I aimed for the difficulty to be intermediate, including some shortcuts, so please let me know how I did there (I'm especially concerned if I made the Paratroopa/Spike Maze sections too hard). Have fun playing it and figuring it out!

Yeah, the difficulty is not intermediate. This level is really, really hard. It's very well made, but if you think this is just an average level, you're either a top-notch Mario player or you didn't playtest it with enough of a critical eye. There aren't a lot of ROB levels and this uses a lot of strange -- and good -- combinations of stage elements to really stand out.

I'd recommend this more highly if it weren't for that door that drops you into one-way death, seriously, get out of town with that stuff. I know that thing is down what should be a death pit anyway, but you ask people to play your level and you waste their time with that? Come on, the rest of your level is very well made and that sort of thing is a real black eye on it.

I've wanted to make another new level for a while now, but I can't think of anything. For now I think I'm just gonna go back through some of my older levels and update them.

Like that Last of Us inspired level really wasn't that great and had some weird difficulty spikes in it. Some parts were kinda cheap where you'd bonk your head off the ceiling while trying to jump over an enemy, so I'm trying to polish it up a bit and see what I should change or remove entirely. Also adding checkpoints cos they're desperately needed.

If anyone cares and wants to give suggestions, this is the level I'm talking about:

Piranha Plant Parasite:
4C22-0000-0095-1AB8

wiiu_screenshot_gamepiojmu.jpg

I think this is a really strong level, but one thing that completely breaks the illusion of playing a real Mario level is non-contextually-aware power-ups. I understand why you've done that -- I found the hidden fire flower you did put in there, and it absolutely destroys the enemies -- but there's other ways around that. You've got a plant-themed level, so you could have the mushrooms sitting out on their own, like you do with the first one. You can have the rest give raccoon tails, since there's not much flying can do in this level. Otherwise I think this is a very strong level, although you are right, some of the jumps are a touch too claustrophobic -- never let the need for attractive level design trump the need for good gameplay.

(The other thing that destroys the illusion for me is pipes that end in thin air. Please, people, do not do that either!)

In honor of the first anniversary of Super Mario Maker I refreshed an old stage of mine with some of the newer elements and tricks I learned as I created more stages. Check it here.

Man, leave it to you to make a shooting-based puzzle level -- or is that a puzzle-based shoot-'em-up? The part after the checkpoint, it's a bit easy to just cheese those lava bubble/bullet bill/flying buzzy/bob-omb monstrosities.

Thanks, I was originally going to make a somewhat simple key door platform stage but decided to go all out by incorporating some elements from another Yoshi-shmup stage I'm still working on but undecided on completing due to some slight mechanical issues I'm trying to overcome. I was originally going to make the shooting section after the checkpoint harder with more enemies but decided to give the player a bit of a break before the boss fight.

Speaking of them, if the podobo hits you, even if you're Big Mario and you have Yoshi, he knocks you right out of the clown car, so it's effectively a one-hit kill. Was that intentional? If so, that's just brilliant.

Correct, the one-hit kill Podoboo firing enemy clusters are actually a prominent element from the aforementioned work-in-progress alternate Yoshi-shmup stage I'm still undecided on. That stage is an autoscroller and would be a pretty nasty and unforgiving challenge if I ever decide to finish it. As always, thanks for your feedback, will try to play another of your stages soon. Btw, touting the one year anniversary in the thread was a great idea and really helped reignite my creative bug with the game. This is still the Wii U's killer app for sure.

Top Bottom