• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Mash-Up Pack coming to Minecraft Wii U - May 17th

Effect

That a retail version is coming means that the game is selling well. I think that was the stipulation or what the common understanding was. That if the digital version did well and shows an audience it would eventually get a retail version.

CaVaYeRo

Awwww:

minecraftdescargagratis_1755443b.png

EDIT: Updated: retail version seems NA only for now, it's 40 new character-based skins, 15 music tracks from 64, Sunshine, etc and a pre-built Mario World ready to use.

Jackano

At least it's finally done.
But gods it was so painfully long to have it done... If Minecraft is still a thing next year, how much time to get it on NX? Another 3 years?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That a retail version is coming means that the game is selling well. I think that was the stipulation or what the common understanding was. That if the digital version did well and shows an audience it would eventually get a retail version.
It Minecraft sold badly on Wii U that'd look really bad for Wii U....

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think the most interesting part of this, is MS basically helping Nintendo here. What could be their motivation for that?

Neoxon

I think the most interesting part of this, is MS basically helping Nintendo here. What could be their motivation for that?
"Minecraft is already on other non-Microsoft platforms, so adding one more wouldn't hurt at this point."

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Minecraft was already multiplatform before MS bought it, so it might be the case that they keep business as usual and allow Mojang to keep operating like a typical third party.

Also the modern Microsoft isn't really that exclusive to their own platforms. They're known for being very generous with software on Mac OSX, iOS and Android, despite owning Windows and Windows Phone. I'm sure they wouldn't spread their exclusive Xbone titles around, but something like Minecraft is already out of the bag on various platforms. It doesn't conflict with their corporate culture at all to work with other platform holders.

And hey, no matter what you put in Wii U Minecraft, it's not going to threaten Xbone one inch...

Growing the brand and protecting the IP from clones by ensuring it has every chance to succeed? It's not like they aren't making tons in sales when MC is the biggest digital title on most platforms it is on by now. Ninty realizes the value of tying its IP into it, so I'm sure it wasn't terribly difficult getting this done, anyway.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback

I dunno, maybe they want more people to buy the game if it has stuff from their favourite platform-specific characters in it. It's not like this release is several years later than almost every other version and needs all the exposure it can get...

Lazaro

Don't get your hopes up. As stated earlier, Minecraft was multiplatform before Microsoft bought Mojang. This is just business as usual.

But Mojang before the Microsoft acquisition did not want to bring Minecraft to Wii U. They also did not want to port Minecraft to Windows Phone and Windows Store.

More Minecraft sales is more money for MS, Nintendo characters are hot. Not sure how "helping Nintendo" is a factor at all.

Ridley327

Finally confirmed the retail release. That makes 3 Wii U games for June now.

Three!

EDIT: Those Piantas are nightmare fuel.

Son Of D

At least it's finally done.
But gods it was so painfully long to have it done... If Minecraft is still a thing next year, how much time to get it on NX? Another 3 years?

I think it's likely to see Minecraft NX within the launch window. How long did it take Xbox One and PS4 to get the game?

Ninja Dom

Right, this now looks like it's worth a purchase. I've never played Minecraft, I've only seen people building in it.

Who's with me and gonna get this on Wii U? Can you play online with this?

So seeing as this is a Wii/Nintendo version, in what way is it gimped? I have it on 360 but kind of want this after seeing the skins, but knowing what I know, I assume its behind/missing features/gimped in some way.

Specifically I'm wondering about the online multiplayer. I'm assuming no voice chat? Are the worlds smaller? Are we missing content?

Penguin

I think Super Mario Smash-Up would have been a slightly better name, but minor gripe.

It looks interesting.

So seeing as this is a Wii/Nintendo version, in what way is it gimped? I have it on 360 but kind of want this after seeing the skins, but knowing what I know, I assume its behind/missing features/gimped in some way.

Specifically I'm wondering about the online multiplayer. I'm assuming no voice chat? Are the worlds smaller? Are we missing content?

LOL at the prejudice... Wii U version is on par with Xbox 360/PS3 versions - voice chat, keyboard chat, local and online multiplayer, updates, they are all the same. The only thing it lacks is extra big worlds of Xbox One/PS4 versions.

I think Super Mario Smash-Up would have been a slightly better name, but minor gripe.

It looks interesting.

"Mash-Up Pack" is a generic name for all-in-one content packs for Minecraft.

It's identical to the 360 version

pantsmith

A MICROSOFT GAME got NINTENDO DLC.

A Microsoft owned company, rather than a Microsoft 1st party developer.

Minecraft is likely large enough of an IP that they're still autonomous to an extent. I imagine their directive from Microsoft is "keep doing what you were doing, just be fruitful and multiply [our cash]"

Effect

LOL at the prejudice... Wii U version is on par with Xbox 360/PS3 versions - voice chat, keyboard chat, local and online multiplayer, updates, they are all the same. The only thing it lacks is extra big worlds of Xbox One/PS4 versions.

"Mash-Up Pack" is a generic name for all-in-one content packs for Minecraft.

In addition you can play the entire things just on the gamepad. Which I imagine for parents that's everything since they don't have to give up the TV. There is some touch screen stuff I recall reading but not full touch screen usage.

A Microsoft owned company, rather than a Microsoft 1st party developer.

Both actually. Mojang is considered a 1st-party developer (kind of automatic if they're owned by MS). For whatever reason though, the Minecraft IP is still in Mojang's name to this day. Why? I have no clue.

LOL at the prejudice... Wii U version is on par with Xbox 360/PS3 versions - voice chat, keyboard chat, local and online multiplayer, updates, they are all the same. The only thing it lacks is extra big worlds of Xbox One/PS4 versions..

There is no prejudice. I'm a huge Nintendo fan trust me, I've also have been around long enough to know that missing features/gimped versions of 3rd party games is exactly what happens. I'm not happy about it, but it's what I've come to expect. Thrilled to know that they didn't skimp on it though, thanks for letting me know.

Last I heard they weren't utilizing the touchscreen on the gamepad either which is a huge bummer as the inventory management + touchscreen were made for each other.

Top Bottom