• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Mash-Up Pack coming to Minecraft Wii U - May 17th

While the Mario stuff is great, the fact that it isn't Zelda stuff instead is horrendously disappointing.

But then I guess no one would buy the actual Zelda game if it ever comes out.

That's actually a lot more titles than I thought o_O. Never heard of the Book of Unwritten Tales 2 though.

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 is by Nordic Games who also brought Legend of Kay Anniversary to Wii U last year.

Nordic honestly is a very good under the radar supporter, as both games were pretty decently recieved and by no means shovelware.

Kay was originally a PS2 game and considered to be one of the hidden gem budget mascot platformers. And Book got pretty damn good reception on the other HD systems.

Nordic actually have a special talent for doing their homework. They don't just farm stuff to random teams. Legend of Kay Anniversary was actually made by a team formed by one of the founders of the original team of the PS2 original.

Another example is that they revived Rainbow Studios to make MX vs ATV Supercross, and got Gunfire Games, formed by ex-Vigil folks to do Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition on PS4 and XBO.

I bet if de Blob ever comes back (reminder that they bought like 90% of THQ's assets), they'd likely try to get Blue Tongue back together.

Edot: Oh, AND their games are dirt cheap at retail. Legend of Kay was only $24.99 on Wii U and Book looks to be $19.99 on Wii U also.

While the Mario stuff is great, the fact that it isn't Zelda stuff instead is horrendously disappointing.

But then I guess no one would buy the actual Zelda game if it ever comes out.

I'm sure other IPs are eventually going to be added too. Mario is just the safest one to start with.

jariw

It felt like this was coming as a free update. The Xbox and PlayStation holiday bundles priced at $30 included a console exclusive Mash-Up pack. It's the best looking Mash-Up just from the trailer. Wish 4JStudios did more. The LittleBigPlanet one is really cool. Custom map, characters, enemies, UI. Entire game gets a facelift.

AFIAK, 4J is a porting studio. Pretty sure that Nintendo or other studios are heavily involved when mash-up packs are created. The tools for creating the content is widely available for just about anyone, so it's really just a content+licensing issue.

In the original Minecraft/Wii U announcement, it also said:
"Nintendo and Mojang are also collaborating on new content for Nintendo fans to be released at a future date."

Effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjkGnJHicAE

20 minutes on the pack

By someone who never played Minecraft before, including random Nintendo employee's appearance

That's pretty cool. There are two Mario and Luigi skins. The first are normal skins and each have one extra with either Fludd or the Poltergust 3000 respectively on the back of the character.

Edit:

Here is a break down of 9 easter eggs that are in the game done by IGN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yaEGnjGju4

Top Bottom