• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Mash-Up Pack coming to Minecraft Wii U - May 17th

pantsmith

Both actually. Mojang is considered a 1st-party developer (kind of automatic if they're owned by MS). For whatever reason though, the Minecraft IP is still in Mojang's name to this day. Why? I have no clue.

Right, my distinction was just that they're not primarily developing for Xbox.

LordRaptor

In addition you can play the entire things just on the gamepad. Which I imagine for parents that's everything since they don't have to give up the TV. There is some touch screen stuff I recall reading but not full touch screen usage.

So you can play co-op with one player using the TV and the other the controller?

That's... pretty cool actually

Last I heard they weren't utilizing the touchscreen on the gamepad either which is a huge bummer as the inventory management + touchscreen were made for each other.

As I've said earlier, while there is no dual-screen/GamePad-centric UI in this game, menu items can still be selected with the touch screen.

Effect

So you can play co-op with one player using the TV and the other the controller?

That's... pretty cool actually

I'm not sure. Solo on the gamepad is doable. I'm not sure if it's split screen or if one person is on the TV and the other is on the gamepad.

As I've said earlier, while there is no dual-screen/GamePad-centric UI in this game, menu items can still be selected with the touch screen.

Yeah dual screen/gamepad-centric UI inventory management would be ideal/what I was talking about, but are you saying for example, if I play off-tv then I can use the touch screen to manage my inventory?

Ridley327

Out of curiosity, is this the first time Mojang has done such a big specific IP theme pack like this? I know that the MS and Sony version got simple character skins, but this is a considerable step beyond that, especially with the music inclusion.

Yeah dual screen/gamepad-centric UI inventory management would be ideal/what I was talking about, but are you saying for example, if I play off-tv then I can use the touch screen to manage my inventory?

Yes. I believe it's pretty much the same as on PS Vita version.

Out of curiosity, is this the first time Mojang has done such a big specific IP theme pack like this? I know that the MS and Sony version got simple character skins, but this is a considerable step beyond that, especially with the music inclusion.

Skyrim Mash-Up Pack comes to mind. It is a pretty faithful recreation of the original game.

LordRaptor

I'm not sure. Solo on the gamepad is doable. I'm not sure if it's split screen or if one person is on the TV and the other is on the gamepad.

Can anyone let me know if co-op gets a screen each?
It might be worth double dipping on as a substitute baby sitter for me if it is

It would be such a miss opportunity if they don't do a Zelda pack. A Metroid pack would be great as well.

With Mario pack being advertised on a box art of the retail Wii U version, I really believe that Zelda pack will be the schtick of NX version.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Finally confirmed the retail release. That makes 3 Wii U games for June now.

Three!

EDIT: Those Piantas are nightmare fuel.

Actually it is more about 7 retail games for June.

Minecraft Wii U Edition
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Mighty No. 9
Terraria
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Effect

With Mario pack being advertised on a box art of the retail Wii U version, I really believe that Zelda pack will be the schtick of NX version.

That would be a good way to push it. Especially if it's there at launch and the Zelda launches at the same time.

I'm still of the opinion that E3 isn't just Zelda Wii U but a celebration for the franchise as a whole with it being its 30th anniversary. It would be a good time to show off a Zelda pack if there is one.

Balb

How is the Wii U port of Minecraft compared to PS4/Xbox One? I'm guessing it's closer to the 360/PS3 ports.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Better late than never.
Strange this news was just casually dropped on twitter instead of a Direct or E3, lol.

Never played Minecraft and never cared about this franchise, I actually want to play this now.

Me neither. I started with the WiiU version. It is pretty amusing and fun.
But I can imagine that if you start the game with this texture pack, you will be pretty confused.

javac

Minecraft is on everything these days, I'd assume that as NX version is a shoo-in, right? The only reason it isn't on the 3DS has to be the hardware, right? Maybe the New 3DS would be able to run it.

Effect

Minecraft is on everything these days, I'd assume that as NX version is a shoo-in, right? The only reason it isn't on the 3DS has to be the hardware, right? Maybe the New 3DS would be able to run it.

I don't think they've ever commented but I would imagine the power of the 3DS is the primary and only reason. They'd kill to have on it there given the install base. It would make serious bank in Japan as well. I will be very, very surprised if it's not a launch game for the next portable.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So I've never played Minecraft...is there much of an actual game in here or is it entirely a "Build the World" piece of software? I've tried to get into the creativity mode of Disney Infinity for years and it's never grabbed me to the point where I'm pretty much bailing on the series because the Playsets aren't doing it for me either anymore.

Effect

So I've never played Minecraft...is there much of an actual game in here or is it entirely a "Build the World" piece of software? I've tried to get into the creativity mode of Disney Infinity for years and it's never grabbed me to the point where I'm pretty much bailing on the series because the Playsets aren't doing it for me either anymore.

There is the adventure mode where you have to survive. You need food to keep your health up. Build shelter from enemies. You have to mine, cut, gather everything. You don't have a unlimited supply of things to build like kyou do in the creative mode. There are various dungeons or caverns that have chest filled with items you can find and explore. All the while the building element is still there but you have to source your own materials.

The PC version has more packs and modes that have more detailed and more fleshed out experiences such as quest people make up. Some servers are just pure games that people can play with each other. I don't think that's ever made it to the console version as you can't mod those versions and those game servers are some of the most modded to hell and back things to exist for Minecraft. Maybe the most modded things in general in regard to gaming outside of Elder Scroll and Fallout games mod scenes.

fernoca

That a retail version is coming means that the game is selling well. I think that was the stipulation or what the common understanding was. That if the digital version did well and shows an audience it would eventually get a retail version.
Weird.
Both the DLC and a retail version were announced in December along the game, but "at a later date".

Then Trev confirmed it with the leak (though reading around many think he was the first to annouce this).

But the original PR said it. Just with no date.

Overall, this looks great. Already have the game, so downloading the update next week.

SuomiDude

Ok, I know almost nothing about Minecraft except that it's some sort of block-building game with combat. So does it offer some sort of lengthy single player campaign? This Mario-mode suggests that there's a pre-built Mario world there, would it be enough for a guy who just enjoys exploring the world, not really building the world myself?

Ok, I know almost nothing about Minecraft except that it's some sort of block-building game with combat. So does it offer some sort of lengthy single player campaign? This Mario-mode suggests that there's a pre-built Mario world there, would it be enough for a guy who just enjoys exploring the world, not really building the world myself?

There is the adventure mode where you have to survive. You need food to keep your health up. Build shelter from enemies. You have to mine, cut, gather everything. You don't have a unlimited supply of things to build like kyou do in the creative mode. There are various dungeons or caverns that have chest filled with items you can find and explore. All the while the building element is still there but you have to source your own materials.

fernoca

Well the story mode and missions on it, are around building/destroying stuff and looking for loot to make more things.

It has its charm. I'm not a big Minecraft player, yet have it on every device I have. XD

Top Bottom